Author Topic: The Wolfking Second Coming Roulette v2. We all know who won. Thanks to all!!!  (Read 86528 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have not. I figured it'd be more of the same.

It is so blatant. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I see mine - it's the one that's coming in last place
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Monument - Hair of the Dog ... I thought Iron Maiden was banned?   ;D

:lol

Definitely Jon.

nope

The only way Monument could get more "Maiden" would be for them to take off masks and reveal it's actually Steve, Bruce, and the boys underneath.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Surprised.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

Which one is the cheesy one - has it been uncovered yet? :)

Offline Lethean

Here's some thoughts and I might do a smudgey game in the morning;

Ha, I'm surprised, this is actually pretty damn enjoyable.

Damn, this is really good, didn't expect this going by the band name.

I hope it's one of these two.  The first one could be it because he probably doesn't expect something he'll like from me. :)  (Also, it's an awesome song).

A pretty safe and easy submission based on my biggest hobby, but it doesn't mean that it didn't hit the mark.

What's your biggest hobby?

Playing the guitar.

Hmm.  I don't think this one is mine, but I suppose it's a possibility, as the guitar playing is good.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

Definitely Jon.

Have you listened to their release from this year?  It's even MORE of a .... tribute?? ... to Maiden. :birch:

I have and thought it was pretty shit on first listen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Definitely Jon.

Have you listened to their release from this year?  It's even MORE of a .... tribute?? ... to Maiden. :birch:

I wouldn't quite call it shit, but certainly underwhelming and not "wow"-worthy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Definitely Jon.

I wouldn't quite call it shit, but certainly underwhelming and not "wow"-worthy.

In general I am not a fan of the copycat bands but Monument is a bit of an exception.   I can appreciate a version of Maiden with the fat trimmed off the songs - right up my alley - but there has to be some quality songs and a bit of fire in the performance.   Their last album pretty much nailed it and I am a fan.   Their recent release is the opposite and I tend to agree with Paul - "shit" isn't far off how I would describe it.   A couple of strong tracks in there but a big disappointment from an album that I went into expecting to like.

I am still struggling to find something from 2018 that "jumps off the page" at me to send Kade.   Plenty of solid/good stuff but little to nothing that's mind blowing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:37:09 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I am still struggling to find something from 2018 that "jumps off the page" at me to send Kade.   Plenty of solid/good stuff but little to nothing that's mind blowing.

#metoo

wait, wat?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ashes of Chaos - Ashes of Chaos HI TAC

Just clicked play.  Musically... pretty damned good.  Vocals...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

Someone should definitely send Ashes of Chaos in Kattelox's next roulette.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Ashes of Chaos - Ashes of Chaos HI TAC

Just clicked play.  Musically... pretty damned good.  Vocals...

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Someone should definitely send Ashes of Chaos in Kattelox's next roulette.

I'm listening to that song right now, and I'm 100% in agreement with jingle.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, if you want to read my thoughts on it, I'll redirect you to the last round of my roulette.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, if you want to read my thoughts on it, I'll redirect you to the last round of my roulette.

Damn!  :lol I'm interested to see how wolf receives it now. At one point I actually had to pause it to make sure I didn't leave South Park running in the background.

Offline Lethean

I think it's funny that as much as you (Elite) didn't like that song, it was still ranked higher than Stadler's.  Much like my Arcturus submission in this roulette. I definitely regret not sending a more accessible Arcturus song, but having it still not ranked last was at least very amusing. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Typing results up now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'll sort out my 2018 submission in the meantime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 7 results

Big Hath - Andy James - Ever After

I kind of feel a little bit bad for everyone else giving Jon's submission the highest rating.  Mainly due to it being a very safe choice for a submission.  Most know I'm a guitarist and this is something that fits me like a glove.  I know Andy James mainly from his youtube vids, backing tracks which I like and the only album from him I have is In the Wake of Chaos.  His style is very melodic and technically excellent but at the same time his style is a tad one dimensional, hence I haven't gotten everything he has done.  This was just that but a wonderful very melodic guitar piece.  Reminds me of a mix of Marco Sfogli and Satriani.  Great melodies, and love the section at the end.  Very good.  It is what I expected but enjoyed it the most.

Style - 9.5
Instrumentation and vox - 9.0
Songwriting and Structure - 9.0
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.1

Puppies_On_Acid - Jack the Joker - Volte Face

This one was a real grower and didn't interest me all that much at the start even though the heaviness right away made me take notice somewhat.  I didn't expect this from the band name but the more I listened the more I loved this.  It's hard to describe the sound of these guys, pretty modern, a little djent even and some just classic melodic metal too.  I really liked this one and loved the mood.  Very good vocals, has that modern sound in his voice again but I really liked this, mixed nice clean vocals with lots of agression in the music.  The chorus was wonderful and much appreciated.  The break before the solos was excellent and the solos were mindblowing.  Great key changes and some nice modal shifts that I really want to sit down and try and work out what these guys are doing.  Solid chops on both these fellas and the key change in the last chorus was fabulous, want to hear more.

Style - 9.0
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

bl5150 - Crystal Eyes - Shadow Rider

Brent comes back with some very nice melodic power metal.  Not as mindblowing as some of your others Brent, but very good.  Nice gallop, and Maiden dripping from the melodies and harmonies.  Vocals are good without being brilliant too.  The chorus is really where a nice shift.  Reminds me of Hammerfall that.  Catchy and doesn't let up.  The constant guitar melodies keep your attention too.  The solo was a nice change of pace and again without being brilliant, it fits nicely.  The real kicker is the ending, things kick up which actually reminds me of Gamma Ray's Changes at the end and the Maiden melodies reign supreme with a perfect finish.  Good metal.

Style - 9.5
Songwriting and Structure - 8.5
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

Bolsters - Arcane - Promis Part 2

I think I've heard this band name before but pretty sure I don't know anything from them.  Just googled them and saw they were from Brisbane so makes sense why I know them, or the name at least. This was really nice and smooth.  Very cool riffing at the start and when the vocals kicked in I wasn't quite sure at first but I got lost in it and really enjoyed this fellas vocals.  The verses reminded me a lot of Riverside, which is a good thing.  When things picked up his vocals reminded me a lot of Maynard James Keenan which is great too.  The guitar melodies are very good and I must say the production was wonderful too.  This one didn't get stuck in my head at all but was a great listen while it was going and had a very nice atmosphere throughout which made it very enjoyable.

Style - 9.0
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

lowdz - Monument - Hair of the Dog

I've seen this band name and seen the comments of them being a Maiden rip.  I totally get that from this song, but not as much as people carry on with.  I mean, the melodies, the chord progressions and don't forget the vocals purposely doing whatever he can to sound like Bruce gives it away, but to me it's not different to your standard classic metal band.  This was cool though without being spectacular, great pace, Aces High type and just all round great melodies.  When you listen you instantly know what you are getting and it's unfair to expect anything else.  I like it but didn't make me blow my load, although I looked forward to listening and was nice and catchy.

Style - 9.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

Kattoelox - Aquaria - And Let the Show Begin

Luckily, I'm not lactose intolerant, cause this was fun.  At first I was laughing at the cinematic and almost broadway moments and different sections throughout this, but love the root of it.  The verses sound exactly like another power metal song but I can't pinpoint it, probably Kiske Helloween.  I really enjoy this guys vocals and the verses are great.  The chorus was very powerful and got me going.  I could have used without all the fluff around the 3 minute mark, but I appreciated what they were going for, I really did.  Nice solso too and the song going back into the power metal chorus is cool.  Don't know how much of these guys I could take, but pretty class.  Actually listening again now, maybe old Avantasia is what I'm thinking of.

Style - 9.0
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.7

TAC - Ashes of Chaos - Ashes of Chaos

I really give Tim props for sending something like this, and it's great to see you expanding your horizons Tim.  I fucking loved the intro here, the first minute was balls out.  That slide in that lead melody thing is perfect.  The main riff got going and then the vocals were like WTF?!  Really strange vocals there and then the change in the chorus took me by surprise.  This was really WTF?!  but this is the sort of obscure stuff I get a kick out of sometimes.  I gotta admit, I found that satanic middle section pretty enjoyable and those vocals were sick.  The structure of this however did seem a bit disjointed and the transistions were a little awkward, but that's kind of the charm too.  The middle short instrumental section was nice and it might just be me, going back to the chorus felt like that should have been after like a 15 minute song, I don't know how to describe it but yeah it's like there's heaps of stuff missing in between or something.  Anyway, this was unique, very different and really quite enjoyable.  Oh, also there's times at the end I thought he sounded like Jonny Gioeli.

Style - 9.0
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Songwriting and Structure - 8.0
Replay value - 9.0
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.6

tomislav95 - Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross

I've obviously seen this band name before but dunno anything as far as I know.  This was really dope though.  Reminded me a lot of Soundgarden and I like the production and the overall guitar tones.  Simple simple riffs but a nice groove.  Really solid vocals too, I don't smoke but even I'd probably smoke a joint to this.  Don't get me wrong, we've heard this before and I don't think my attention would stick on this for a long time, but a nice song.  Love the little leads too and the tone, that took the song up a notch too.

Style - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.0

Score - 8.4

Stadler - Greta Van Fleet - Black Smoke Rising

Ooooo Stadler, I knew I kept you around for a reason.  Don't know anything about these guys, but obviously a newer band trying to do that classic thing, which I normally don't like but damn, this was a great song.  The simple almost Chilli Pepper feel at the start had me worried, but once I got into it, I thought it was really nice.  Now, I probably won't go out and buy their albums but definitely some class here.  The guys voice and the chorus reminds me of old Rush, which is good.  Not much to say, not one of my fav songs of the roulette, but great song indeed.

Style - 8.0
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.2

Evermind - Arrayan Path - Clepsydra

Hmm.....not sure here, it has everything I should like and while it was decent enough to listen to, I just found it a bit average.  I found the chorus pretty generic, while catchy just seemed to miss the mark for me.  The guys vocals were nice and it had a lot of elements that were decent but just on a whole it just seemed to fall flat.  The solo was the best part though.  It's hard to describe because as I said, should be up my alley, just lacked a little creativity.  I didn't skip it though, and was still pleasant enough, but not enough to make me want to check them out anymore.

Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and vox - 8.0
Songwriting and Structure - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 7.8

Luoto - Anomalie - Between Reality and the World Beyond

This is probably another one I should like more but even though it had a lot of good elements, it just missed the mark.  Production was a little flat which hurt the song too IMO.  The vocals were really solid and it did have a nice old school In Flames sound which I appreciated.  Some of the melodies were good though and the music really worked quite well with the vocals.  Not much in the way of structure, it just seemed to flow by.  Decent but a bit of a miss.  The production I think hurt it a lot more than what it should have.

Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and vox - 8.0
Songwriting and Structure - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 7.8

jingle.boy - Vanish - We Become What We Are

Chad, Chad, Chad, no!!  Why would you send this?  I thought I must have downloaded the wrong song at first and thought there must have been a mistake.  I couldn't get this at all, and felt like I was listening to a Disney movie.  I had to make myself sit down and listen to it a few times, then I realised it wasn't that bad.  I didn't like his vocals in the verses and the melodies just seemed so corny to me.  The chorus while giving some power and passion, I just felt the melody was too awkward and felt strange.  When the chorus finally explodes I can see why you would like it, but I thought his vocals at times were a bit off key too.  I did like that little solo and I wished it kind of kept going and built up a lot more casue that was going nicely and made me pay attention again.  I gave this quite a few listens even a few extra but just didn't do for me mate, sorry.

Style - 7.0
Instrumentation and vox - 7.0
Songwriting and Structure - 7.0
Replay value - 7.0
Would I purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.0

Elite - Moonloop - Strombus

I liked the first minute or so, nice production and cool riffs with some nice heavy vocals but that's kind of where it stopped.  Didn't really like the cleaner sections and thought the clean vocals were pretty ordinary with some melodies I didn't really care for unfortunately.  By the time the heaviness kicked in, it was hard to keep interest.  I do like that little instrumental section and it was cool when the growls came back in.  Reminded me of Death but overall, missed the mark.

Style - 8.0
Instrumentation and vox - 6.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.5
Replay value - 6.5
Would I purchase - 6.5

Score - 6.8

Lethean - Cynthesis - The Edifice Grin

I just didn't get this at all.  Right away I thought it was odd and the more it went on, I just didn't feel it.  I don't even know what to say, I didn't like the modern type verses and they chorus was nothing special.  The quiet section wasn't too bad with some nice vocal melodies but that was it.  The instrumental section was very tame and as it went on, just nothing happened for me.  Maybe I missed something with this, but I just didn't get it.

Style - 7.0
Instrumentation and vox - 6.5
Songwriting and Structure - 6.0
Replay value - 6.5
Would I purchase - 6.0

Score - 6.4

Parama - Subterranean Masquerade - Kippur

Oh Parama, thank God you've returned, we were all worried about you.  I'm not going to say much, this is pretty much what I expect from you, but this one I just didn't get at all.  It's hard to say much about it because I didn't find anything really memorable or that enjoyable.  I like the growls I guess mixed with the violins and shit, that was cool.  Just didn't hold my interest mate.

Style - 6.0
Instrumentation and vox - 6.0
Songwriting and Structure - 6.0
Replay value - 6.0
Would I purchase - 6.0

Score - 6.0

bl5150 - 9.1 + 9.4 + 9.0 + 9.3 + 8.9 + 9.2 + 9.0
jingle.boy - 8.9 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 9.2 + 8.8 + 9.2 + 7.0
Luoto - 8.8 + 8.7 + 8.6 + 6.0 + 9.0 + 7.0 + 7.8
TAC - 8.6 + 9.5 + 9.0 + 8.4 + 9.0 + 8.8 + 8.6
Big Hath - 8.5 + 9.5 + 8.6 + 8.4 + 9.4 + 9.0 + 9.1
Evermind - 8.5 + 8.0 + 9.1 + 9.0 + 9.2 + 8.6 + 7.8
Kattoelox - 8.4 + 7.5 + 8.8 + 7.1 + 0.0 + 8.8 + 8.7
Bolsters - 7.9 + 9.4 +7.7 + 8.9 + 8.6 + 8.5 + 8.8
Parama - 7.6 + 6.8 + 7.7 + 7.0 + 7.8 + 9.7 + 6.0
Tomislav95 - 7.4 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.4
Elite - 7.3 + 6.8 + 8.3 + 9.0 + 7.3 + 7.0 + 6.8
lowdz - 6.9 + 8.6 + 8.5 + 8.8 + 9.2 + 9.0 + 8.8
Puppies_On_Acid - 6.0 + 7.9 + 7.0 + 9.0 + 8.8 + 6.3 + 9.0
Lethean - 5.8 + 6.0 + 9.2 + 7.7 + 4.8 + 8.7 + 6.4
Stadler - 4.6 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 5.0 + 4.5 + 7.2 + 8.2

bl5150 - 63.9
Big Hath - 62.5
TAC - 61.9
Evermind - 60.2
jingle.boy - 59.8
Bolsters - 59.8
lowdz - 59.8
Tomislav95 - 56.9
Luoto - 55.9
Puppies_on_Acid - 54.1
Parama - 52.6
Elite - 52.5
Lethean - 48.6
Kattoelox - 49.3
Stadler - 45.9

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's some thoughts and I might do a smudgey game in the morning;

This is a very interesting submission from you ____.  yeah, trying to figure where you are coming from with this to be honest, but love the punt in taking a risk.

TAC

Ha, I'm surprised, this is actually pretty damn enjoyable.

Stadler

Damn, this is really good, didn't expect this going by the band name.

Puppies

Why did you send this?  I'm trying to work it out, but I'm struggling.

jingle.boy

Yeah, this isn't really working at all.

Lethean

Oh, yeah, this is the _______ I expected.

Parama

Another solid submission.  Maybe not as spectacular as some of your others, bit scratching the right itches.

bl5150

A pretty safe and easy submission based on my biggest hobby, but it doesn't mean that it didn't hit the mark.

Big Hath

Jesus, lucky I'm not lactose intolerant.

Kattoelox

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow. Didn't expect to score below 8, I thought that was a pretty solid song.

At least I'm ahead of Chad now. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

Oh cool, I'm still doing my thing sitting at the middle, behind people with high scores :D I know exactly what to send for next round, I knew it from the start and saved it just for this round, hope it's not banned.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Lowdz

Wow, level with the Chadster  :omg:

Was worried sending such an obvious Maiden clone. It’s a very good album though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow... shat the bed on that one.  Seems to be my MO - there's always one round where I drop a steaming loaf.  I always like to have some variety in what I send during a roulette, and I guess after Brent's song last round I thought a slower paced tune wasn't going to be unwelcomed.  Boy, was I wrong!  :lol  I guess this ballad works much better in the context of the entirety of the concept album.  Hey... I think I'm on to something - DON'T SEND ANYTHING FROM A CONCEPT ALBUM - those are my two shit scores.

Oh well... #WhatAreYaGonnaDo?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There's no rush with submissions.  Having a week off work finally so won't be around much from Thursday through to Monday so might even have to put things on hold for a week or so unfortunately.  I'll see how I go. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow... shat the bed on that one.  Seems to be my MO - there's always one round where I drop a steaming loaf.  I always like to have some variety in what I send during a roulette, and I guess after Brent's song last round I thought a slower paced tune wasn't going to be unwelcomed.  Boy, was I wrong!  :lol  I guess this ballad works much better in the context of the entirety of the concept album.  Hey... I think I'm on to something - DON'T SEND ANYTHING FROM A CONCEPT ALBUM - those are my two shit scores.

Oh well... #WhatAreYaGonnaDo?

Yeah mate, I tried to get into it, I really did, just didn't click.  Brent's was kind of a different sort of slower paced tune though, to be fair.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh totally.  I get it.  I see what you're saying about this track, but I still think you're full of shit.   :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hooray!

There's actually a motif in that Aquaria song that directly references Angra's Angels Cry. But I'm glad you had fun with it.  :biggrin: I'll send something today!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can live with that, Kade. I was expecting the worst. :lol

Wait till you hear what I sent the next round.  ;DI have purchased the album and will easily be a Top 10 album for 2018 for me.

Didn't lose my spot in line so that's good.

As far as Ashes Of Chaos goes, I love those evil vocals in the middle. The album itself, which I also bought, is really cool. Different but cool.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's no rush with submissions.  Having a week off work finally so won't be around much from Thursday through to Monday so might even have to put things on hold for a week or so unfortunately.  I'll see how I go.

Awesome - saves me applying for a week's extension to find something good from 2018  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Enjoy it man... very much earned and deserved.

Oh, and I've sent.  As Brent said, the quality so far this year has been (imo) questionable, so I just went with something I'd had my ear on for a while.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Awesome - saves me applying for a week's extension to find something good from 2018  :lol