Author Topic: JR performing (and singing!) Beneath The Surface  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
JR performing (and singing!) Beneath The Surface
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »
Saw this posted on JR's YouTube. Quite the unique performance to empty, yet beautiful, venue :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbqI_9a7vpE

Offline MirrorMask

Re: JR performing (and singing!) Beneath The Surface
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
That's great!

Now I suddenly want him singing on the next DT album. Not a whole song, or even a proper duet, just a couple of lines to add variety and atmosphere to a song that would demand added emphasis.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
That was really cool to hear.  Made me listen to the original afterwards. :)  But, I'd prefer them to just have James doing vocals on the albums.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »
Eesh. Bad turnout for JR. Poor guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
I think his voice is good enough for backing vocals.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »

Thought for a second that was the crowd for Sons of Apollo. Then realized my error, the venue was too big.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »
I want a studio recording of this, like, YESTERDAY. Holy frick do I love solo JR piano.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »

I assume you are joking, but just in case others reading don't know:  that is obviously from a sound check, not a show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
What an amazing version! I still wanted him to play the solo at the end, though ;D other than that, it was fantastic.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
What, no Groupons??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »
What an amazing version! I still wanted him to play the solo at the end, though ;D other than that, it was fantastic.

BTS solo is one of my absolute keyboard solos of all time. 

As for this performance....well, I'll stick to the DT version.  Props to him for stepping out of the box though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »

I assume you are joking, but just in case others reading don't know:  that is obviously from a sound check, not a show.

:-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:28:50 AM »
I wonder why he never does background vocals. He sings very well.

Plus, I just re-realized how beautiful this song is.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »

He's actually answered that a couple times, most recently on his latest interview with Noxon. He says that even though he can sing (and has perfect pitch, btw, so wouldn't be out of tune) his voice is too low to sing backup on songs suited for James' voice.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

He's actually answered that a couple times, most recently on his latest interview with Noxon. He says that even though he can sing (and has perfect pitch, btw, so wouldn't be out of tune) his voice is too low to sing backup on songs suited for James' voice.

I get it, but I subjectively disagree.  A lower harmony adds a lot of depth and texture to the vocal parts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
...and I agree and disagree with both of you. It would be kind of cool for a song like Space Dye Vest but wouldn't sound so good on other songs.

Offline Evai

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »
Woah I really like that performance! It is kinda odd that they never utilized JR's voice for background vox back in the day, maybe he's shy about it :p Doesn't really matter anymore since we have Labries harmonies from the album synced to the click
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
I think JR's low voice would be a perfect counterpoint to JLB's high voice.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
I think JR's low voice would be a perfect counterpoint to JLB's high voice.

Indeed! If they entertained in the past the idea of having Michael Akerfeldt doing a growling vocal, I hope with the next album they will be tempted to juse Jordan's voice, even if just a tiny bit.

You know how in The Bigger Picture in the second verse it goes "Like a moth burned by the fire and driven to the flame" and then it goes "Prophecies’ a blessing and a curse" with a different feel? well, I'm not saying that specific part should have gone to Jordan or anyone else, but if ever there's a situation for a kind of "tradeoff" like this that requires a lower voice, they should go for it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »
Well, if they let Portnoy sing some awful vocals on a couple songs, it wouldn’t hurt to let Jordan try :lol

Seriously, though, I wish we got more JP backing vocals on DT albums. He’s really good at it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
 :o Jordan can do the "Day after day" section in ANTR!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »
I don't think his voice is that far off from MP's. He could easily do the backing vocals Mike used to do.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
Well, if they let Portnoy sing some awful vocals on a couple songs, it wouldn’t hurt to let Jordan try :lol

Seriously, though, I wish we got more JP backing vocals on DT albums. He’s really good at it.

Yes it would hurt! :) Actually, I do think Jordan would do a better job than MP, but I just don't think they need it and I don't care to hear it.  They have a great singer who is more than capable of changing his voice around to suit different sounds and moods. 

(Which is why, MirrorMask, I wouldn't want Jordan, JP, or MP singing the prophecy line in The Bigger Picture).  Some bands have multiple guys who are good singers.  There are also a lot of bands with only one guy that sings, especially on the album, and then live you might have some of the other band members doing backing vocals that are turned down and very much in the background. That's the kind of band DT is - and I don't think that makes them any lesser because of it.  They wouldn't be a better band "if only" there were other voices.  Neither would Rush.  All imo, of course.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
Guys, it's not about "letting him try", he's happy with his (very complex) role in the band.

Some of you are making it sound like he's being held back... he isn't.  It's nothing like JP not wanting another guitarist and I'd bet that if JR suddenly said "hey, I'd like to do some background vocals" they'd be all over it.

Would *I* like him doing backups?  Yes, I would, cuz even soft/quiet vocals helps them sound fuller, even if they're not the "best" backup vocals.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 01:35:45 AM »
(Which is why, MirrorMask, I wouldn't want Jordan, JP, or MP singing the prophecy line in The Bigger Picture).

Well, it's not that I wished someone else had sung that specific line. It was the first example that came into my mind to present the hypotetical situation of a section of a song, on the new album, that could require a standalone line from a different singer to add more variety to a song if the song needed it.

Take for example the live version of The Silent Man, the tradeoff between James and JP... there are potentially situations like that where they could go "hey, why don't we add a different voice for a bit of variety?"

Then again there are worse things that can happen than having James singing 100% of the vocal lines of the new album  ;D (Day after day and night after night)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 03:23:39 AM »
The last thing Jordan needs in Dream Theater is yet another responsibility. He has plenty enough to do already.  :lol

Also, great video.  :tup

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »

Omg his backing vocals on the octavarium section of Schmedly annoys me so much.

This video is amazing. Had no idea Jordan can sing like that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
(Which is why, MirrorMask, I wouldn't want Jordan, JP, or MP singing the prophecy line in The Bigger Picture).

Well, it's not that I wished someone else had sung that specific line. It was the first example that came into my mind to present the hypotetical situation of a section of a song, on the new album, that could require a standalone line from a different singer to add more variety to a song if the song needed it.

Take for example the live version of The Silent Man, the tradeoff between James and JP... there are potentially situations like that where they could go "hey, why don't we add a different voice for a bit of variety?"

Then again there are worse things that can happen than having James singing 100% of the vocal lines of the new album  ;D (Day after day and night after night)
Hahahaha.  I just noticed that bit at the end. :) I know what you're saying, for me I just actually prefer 100% James, whether the alternative is a pleasant enough line from JP or JR, or, um, something else. :)

Offline pcs90

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »
Pretty cool performance! I do prefer the original, but this is still very enjoyable.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »

This is pretty cool I always wonder how he sings since I know he is a very educated musician.
And she listens openly

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 05:44:19 AM »

This is pretty cool I always wonder how he sings since I know he is a very educated musician.
Well you should listen to ...Listen :D his first solo album, lots of sung parts.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »

Well you should listen to ...Listen :D his first solo album, lots of sung parts.

I will check that see if I can buy online.

I would just say

Is there ever really a right time You had led me to believe Someday you'd be sing  for me!
And she listens openly

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

I thought it mostly had to do with him just not wanting to in general? I remember him saying in a few interview that he just doesn't have the desire to contribute lyrics, play guitar, or sing in the band. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

:o Jordan can do the "Day after day" section in ANTR!!!!

Please no

Offline Evai

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
What about the Burning My Soul vocoder thing when they play it live now? Is that Jordans voice?
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
What about the Burning My Soul vocoder thing when they play it live now? Is that Jordans voice?

I think it's on the original recording, just lower in volume.