Author Topic: Jordan is getting an 8 string guitar  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Anxiety35

Jordan is getting an 8 string guitar
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhvpeiynqwX/?hl=en&taken-by=jcrudess

Caption for picture reads, "@druzkowskiguitars is making great progress on my custom 8 string guitar. Inlay complete!"

Another caption for a previous picture on his Instagram feed reads, "@druzkowskiguitars is working on my custom guitar. This is the wizard inlay, designed by Mr. Fastfinger @mikafastfinger. At the moment all the parts are cut and separated and now it’s time to start inlaying it into the fingerboard. Prior to that there is the preparation of the fingerboard and making the cuts in the hole . Once this is done and the inlay is glued in, all will be flattened and oiled . Stay tuned"

I am curious if this guitar will be is for his personal (solo, home studio) or professional (DT) use.

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Jordan is getting an 8 string guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
^ Very cool, but I can pretty much guarantee you it'll be for personal use. JR will not be playing guitar in DT. JP has made it VERY clear in the past he's not into the keys/secondary guitar all in one thing.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
^ Very cool, but I can pretty much guarantee you it'll be for personal use. JR will not be playing guitar in DT. JP has made it VERY clear in the past he's not into the keys/secondary guitar all in one thing.

Source for that statement?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Yeah, given JP's statements in the past, that's a safe bet.  But you never know.  Opinions can change.  It's been a pretty long time since he said that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
I'd have to dig around for the source, JP talked about it a long time ago. I think other members also talked about JP not wanting DS to play second guitar along with keys during his time with the band.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
I think it's pretty safe to say Jordan won't use this guitar with DT (live or in the studio), but that doesn't mean it won't affect DT in some way. Who knows, he might take it with him to the studio for DT14 and John wants to try it and bam! they come out with a very cool idea for a new song :metal
That could make JP want an 8 string even more (or maybe he hates it and decides to drop all the plans for an EBMM JP 8 string guitar :biggrin:)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
I see him using this guitar for demos for DT and for his solo stuff.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

Yeah, given JP's statements in the past, that's a safe bet.  But you never know.  Opinions can change.  It's been a pretty long time since he said that.

Yeah, I remember Neil Peart stating he would never use electronic drums, so anything is possible.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
JR said he's gonna use it in his solo stuff... MM said he's writing solo stuff... WHAT IF: The next DT album will be a collection of songs/music brought individually by all the five members and each one gets the "executive producer" role to their own songs? Something like what Periphery did in Clear EP.

Back on topic, assuming it will be similar to the guitar JR played and recorded a video announcing his custom model, it'll kick ass!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »
Back on topic, assuming it will be similar to the guitar JR played and recorded a video announcing his custom model, it'll kick ass!

It’s the same model, only with custom JR wizard inlays :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 03:29:29 AM »
JR said he's gonna use it in his solo stuff... MM said he's writing solo stuff... WHAT IF: The next DT album will be a collection of songs/music brought individually by all the five members and each one gets the "executive producer" role to their own songs? Something like what Periphery did in Clear EP.

I would not like that at all...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:17:47 AM »
That's pretty cool. Can't wait to see him play it, he is a pretty good guitar player.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »
Or! Or! What if each member makes their own ALBUM and they package them together? DT14 will be FIVE discs!

:splodetard:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
Or! Or! What if each member makes their own ALBUM and they package them together? DT14 will be FIVE discs!

Not gonna lie, I kinda want this now  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 01:57:34 AM »
Kiss solo albums ripoff  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 04:14:23 AM »
Kiss solo albums ripoff  :lol
But who'd be the Peter Criss of the bunch? :P

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »

:splodetard:

...YES!  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say Jordan won't use this guitar with DT (live or in the studio), but that doesn't mean it won't affect DT in some way. Who knows, he might take it with him to the studio for DT14 and John wants to try it and bam! they come out with a very cool idea for a new song :metal
That could make JP want an 8 string even more (or maybe he hates it and decides to drop all the plans for an EBMM JP 8 string guitar :biggrin:)

Didn't Petrucci already say he would use an 8-string on the next album?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »

He said there's plans for it and that he hopes to have it by the time they enter the studio for the next album, but he wasn't completely sure about it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »

Ok. I thought it was a definite thing. I wonder how that will turn out. Good I hope!
He said there's plans for it and that he hopes to have it by the time they enter the studio for the next album, but he wasn't completely sure about it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »
8 string?

Lame.

Let me know when he gets an 18 string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYrN7EIeXmY
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »

I was at JPs Sam Ash thing in Hollywood last year, and Sterling Ball said the 8 string was in development and that he thought everyone would really be a "fan" of it (emphasis on the word fan), which, to me, was an obvious hint at it being a fanned fret guitar.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »

Yeah, I remember Neil Peart stating he would never use electronic drums, so anything is possible.

Or Bruce Dickinson ripping on synths in metal

Honestly, I get why JP wouldn't want another guitarist in the band, but maybe for a song having JR play with him would be really cool and add some new sounds to DT and I wish JP wouldn't limit the band from exploring this option on the new album if the music calls for it.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »
I think if it gets used for DT it will either be for studio / demos only, or maybe 1 or 2 songs live. It'd be pretty awesome if JR played guitar live for a song or 2, he's surprisingly good at it too!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
I think if it gets used for DT it will either be for studio / demos only, or maybe 1 or 2 songs live. It'd be pretty awesome if JR played guitar live for a song or 2, he's surprisingly good at it too!

Yea I think it would be really cool to, like instead of a keytar part he brings out an actual guitar and does some cool harmonies with JP. Would add a new element to the live show.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »
The guitar is ready

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi0HxqFHYLL/?hl=en&taken-by=jcrudess

I really like it, looks really awesome! It's funny that he got one before JP.

I hope I can get a 8 string guitar someday.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
Very cool, can't wait to see him play it