Poll

Rage Against the Machine - YAY or NAY?

YAY
38 (62.3%)
NAY
23 (37.7%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Rage Against the Machine - YAY or NAY?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline WildRanger

Rage Against the Machine - YAY or NAY?
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »
How do you feel about this band?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rage Against the Machine - YAY or NAY?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
Nay- Can't stand the vocals or the style. Plus they seem to be political, and I really don't care for that either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »
Not my thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
Big time Yay.

Their first album is a classic for me. Bought the Super Deluxe 20th anniversary box when it came out.

I'm a Yay on Prophets of Rage as well. Love their first album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
Not my thing either, I like some of their hits (but mainly because I play those song with my first band a long time ago). I tried to get into them and listen to their albums, not really my thing! I ended up skipping every song.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
Love them! Down Rodeo is the tits!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
Hell yay :2metal:

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
Loved their first album.......'Evil Empire' was alright......after that I couldn't tell you a thing about them other than they broke up. But I jammed to that first album non stop for a solid two or three years. Loved it!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:42:47 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »
I'd rather listen to Audioslave :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:50 AM »
Love them, and to this day I play a lot of their songs on guitar just cause I like the feel of the riffs.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:32 AM »
Yay, the first one is a modern classic. Never headbanged so hard as with seeing RATM and Clawfinger at Rock am Ring in the early 90s.  :metal :metal Couldn't lift my head for a couple of days.  ;D

Slightly OT: the first Audioslave is great as well.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 06:34:11 AM »
YAY. They have some killer songs.

That said Audioslave was waaaay better though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
Nay

I don't know why, but this is a band I feel like I should love, yet I don't.  I was never able to get into them as a kid when everyone around me was obsessed.  I don't really care for the politicalness of the music as well, but they do have some killer guitar riffs.

I did see Prophets of Rage a couple years ago on their first tour and didn't love them, but also feel like I left more of a fan of RATM than I did when I started the day.  Tom Morello's playing was really cool and the music is fairly catchy.  I get why people love it.  Still, I voted nay because I still feel like they aren't my thing.  I'll be seeing Prophets of Rage again this summer when they open for Avenged Sevenfold though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
I'm with Cram; really has nothing to do with the politics - I love REM - but the band itself.  I don't really care for Zack that much, and Tom Morello... I get it, he's legendary, but for me, EVERY SOLO is exactly the same:   some wacky noise that sounds like a vacuum cleaner sucking up marbles, then four bars of "weedly weedly" scales.   No thanks.   I'm a MASSIVE Chris Cornell fan, but Audioslave - for the same reasons - is my least favorite of his projects. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
I'd so much rather hear Tom Morello talk about music than actually play music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
That Tom Morello comes up with a trick in almost every solo can sometimes be a bit too much, but he's much more than a whacky solo player.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
Yay, with a caveat - I don't at all agree with their politics. I just think they have a great groove.

I think Rage is powerful, and very distinct. Morello is nowhere near as good to my ears as so many try and make him out to be, but he takes a unique approach that I respect.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
Yay, with a caveat - I don't at all agree with their politics. I just think they have a great groove.

I think Rage is powerful, and very distinct. Morello is nowhere near as good to my ears as so many try and make him out to be, but he takes a unique approach that I respect.

Yea I agree.  He isn't some legend in my mind or anywhere near that, but when I saw him perform, I thought he brought a unique style and something new (to me at least) to the table in terms of what one can do with a guitar.  Doesn't make him a guitar great, but makes me respect him.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »

Yea I agree.  He isn't some legend in my mind or anywhere near that, but when I saw him perform, I thought he brought a unique style and something new (to me at least) to the table in terms of what one can do with a guitar.  Doesn't make him a guitar great, but makes me respect him.

Yeah that's how I always felt about Tom, definitely not some legendary guitar hero status, but definitely a cool, unique player with a signature sound.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
I find that one of the more tasteful solos I liked from Tom Morello was from Audioslave's I Am The Highway where he didn't need to do the wacky guitar effects in the solo (I don't mind the wacky guitar effects from him in moderation).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:00:51 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »
I voted nay. I'm similar in opinion with cram as I wanted to get into them but for some reason couldn't even when everyone else seemed to love them back in the day. They have a great groove to their music. I like "Bulls on Parade" but that's about it.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
Don't know if Morello is a legend or a guitar hero, but he is a unique player with a signature sound, as others have said. A lot of guitar players haven't reached that level.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
I respect them for being unique, but overall, I can't get into them. NAY.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
Nay.  I respect them for what they are, but have never cared for them outside of the few hit songs that they have.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
They have hit songs??

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
Killing In The Name was played almost everywhere in 93. At least in Germany.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
Yea, they were huge in the early 90s.  All over MTV if I recall as a child.  That's why I felt like everyone around me loved them.  They were mainstream.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
Killing in the Name is quite okay, but massively overplayed. I don't care for any of their other songs, despite actually owning their debut album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
YAY. They have some killer songs.

That said Audioslave was waaaay better though.

And now we'll never get another Audioslave album :'(

...unless they decide to call Richie Kotzen and make him their new singer :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 10:42:32 PM »
Yeah, I kinda like 'em though probably not as much as many other people.

I also think that Morello is a bit... overrated as a guitarist. Yeah, he does some unique things and has a very... stylistic approach but most of his solos sound like they belong in completely different songs. He's even worse on Audioslave.

Also "Killing In The Name" is stupidly, ridiculously repetitive and I hated it for a very long time because of that. However, it is very catchy and it somehow works despite it being the same lyrics repeated over and over and over again with only a semi-neat solo to redeem it. I do like it now but man, I couldn't stand it for the longest time.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
I liked it, good mix of rock and rap.  But I hated acts like Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit.  They seemed like wannabe rappers to me.  Zach brought it, almost like a new Chuck D.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »
Yeah, I kinda like 'em though probably not as much as many other people.

I also think that Morello is a bit... overrated as a guitarist. Yeah, he does some unique things and has a very... stylistic approach but most of his solos sound like they belong in completely different songs. He's even worse on Audioslave.

Also "Killing In The Name" is stupidly, ridiculously repetitive and I hated it for a very long time because of that. However, it is very catchy and it somehow works despite it being the same lyrics repeated over and over and over again with only a semi-neat solo to redeem it. I do like it now but man, I couldn't stand it for the longest time.

This is almost exactly my take.   I don't think Morello sucks, but he's not at the level of those he (admittedly) is a big champion of. 

I'm not big on the rap/rock stuff generally, but it's more compelling from Rage than almost any other act.  You can't deny Zach's commitment. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »
a few good songs  but Nay
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"