Author Topic: What if DT's discography was reversed? V3  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Yazman

What if DT's discography was reversed? V3
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
So here's the scenario: Lets say DT's discography was reversed. The lineup doesn't change or anything, just the albums.

e.g.

-Its 1989, and DT has just released their brand new, first ever album: A concept album called The Astonishing with vocalist Charlie Dominici!

-Its 1992, and DT are just releasing their second album: The self titled Dream Theater, with new vocalist James LaBrie!

-Skip forward a bit: It's 2011, the "Awake" album comes out, and it turns out this is going to be Mike Portnoy's last album with the band.

-Skip forward to 2016: we're currently in the "When Dream And Day Unite" era, madly awaiting the new album.

How would you feel about DT if their discog was reversed like this? Would you still be a fan? Maybe a bigger fan now or a lesser fan? How well do you think they would have done at first as well as at this point in their career?

Offline Lethean

Re: What if DT's discography was reversed? V3
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
I would be wanting them to rerecord The Astonishing with James LaBrie on vocals. :)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
Then DT14 would be The Majesty Demos.  ;D

Jokes aside, starting the career with an album like The Astonishing, this would have labeled DT as more of a Prog Rock band than a Prog Metal band so having the self titled as a second album would be a sudden change in style from their debut, and considering that most of the people who aren't necessarily DT fans consider the albums from IAW to SFAM as their best of their discography I don't think that with a reversed discography the band would have lasted two/three albums (although I love the stuff they made with MM)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Kevin Moore playing on The Astonishing doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:31:41 AM »
I would be wanting them to rerecord The Astonishing with James LaBrie on vocals. :)

Bravo.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
I would be fascinated how the band just kept getting better and better until they recorded When Dream And Day Unite.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
I would be fascinated how the band just kept getting better and better until they recorded When Dream And Day Unite.  ;D

And replaced a legend in the genre at the top of his game with a car salesman.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »
Does this mean their big breakthrough top-10 hit on MTV would be The Enemy Inside? How reversed are we going here? Where does Shrimpgate come into this? I suppose it would be between A Dramatic Turn of Events and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »

And replaced a legend in the genre at the top of his game with a car salesman.
:lol :lol :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
Sorry but that strechtes too much the suspension of disbelief. I could take some minor changes, such as, dunno, The Astonishing the first Mangini album, or wondering if Awake was the first James album what would have happened, but to pretend that the entire discography went on in reverse is a bit too much.

The only thing I can think about is people complaining that the songs off Images and Words sound too much like the ones of A Dramatic Turn of Events  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »

The only thing I can think about is people complaining that the songs off Images and Words sound too much like the ones of A Dramatic Turn of Events  ;D

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 03:51:26 AM »
"While Dream Theater's sophomore self-titled album is great in general, they where a bit derivative of their operatic debut with track like The Bigger Picture - which felt like a left over from the aforementioned debut 'The Astonishing'. We have big hopes for whatever they decide to do for their third album, it would be pleasing if the snare was flattened more" - Blabbermouth 1992
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
So Train of Thought would have released in 2003.  ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »
I never would've became a fan.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 01:01:25 AM »
Octavarium (as an album) would make less sense as the 6th album and the 'meta album cycle' from 8vm to SFAM would seem a bit more disjointed unless we're reversing track order too.

Depending how you look at it 12SS would keep getting better and better,- except we might end up thinking each new track is just too derivative of the first. :P

We'd all be wondering what the hell happened to Metropolis part 1 for quite a few years or if such a thing even existed until we finally get it.
And SFAM and ACOS would become often critically viewed through the shadow of previous concept like album/songs TA, 8vm and 6°.

Favour towards albums like SC and FII might drastically change or reverse due to expectations or progression and position in the timeline.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:21:01 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:09 AM »
Octavarium (as an album) would make less sense as the 6th album and the 'meta album cycle' from 8vm to SFAM would seem a bit more disjointed unless we're reversing track order too.

Depending how you look at it 12SS would keep getting better and better,- except we might end up thinking each new track is just too derivative of the first. :P

We'd all be wondering what the hell happened to Metropolis part 1 for quite a few years or if such a thing even existed until we finally get it.
And SFAM and ACOS would become often critically viewed through the shadow of previous concept like album/songs TA, 8vm and 6°.

That's why I said the question stretched too much the suspension of disbelief. You can ask this question for Motorhead and AC/DC, but not about Dream Theater.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »

As the music gets better, Portnoy's situation grows worse. I guess it's a metaphor. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
So...if I understand the rules correctly, only the order of the albums is reversed, but everything else, including band member changes, remains the same.  Therefore, we get

The Astonishing with CD on vox, KM on keys and MP on drums.

DT12 with the same lineup, except for JLB on vox.

ADTOE with the same lineup and with KM leaving at the end of the recording.  Would MP then call out Beneath the Surface as being entirely KM's creation and something that wouldn't have been included if they had known he was leaving the band?

BC&SL and SC with DS on keys.  In this alternative universe, the ultra-disappointing SC has replaced the disappointing FII as DS's swan song with the band.  Many years later, someone starts a thread on the DT Forums that claims that SC was DT's "last truly great album."

That makes 8VA the debut of new keyboard player, JR.  The band is hailed for the fresh life that JR breathed into the band.  Everyone loses their minds trying to figure out why the band's sixth album is so heavily focused on the numbers 8 and 5.

We then have the JP, JM, MP, JLB and JR lineup for ToT through ACoS, after which MP quits the band, still harboring lingering bad feelings resulting from the record company forcing a band with DT's track record to work with an outside writer on FII after the massive critical and commercial success of SFaM.

DT unveils its new drummer, MM, by releasing Awake and then release I&W and WDaDU, which is panned for being a massive regression following the first two strong MM-era albums.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
Chances are I wouldn’t have been an early fan and likely ignored them altogether.