Author Topic: My collection of (_______) probably makes me look like a bigger fan than I am  (Read 966 times)

Offline jammindude

I was just thinking about my collection today.  There are some bands that I am fascinated with, and I am drawn too....but if someone were to look at my collection, they would probably think I’m a bigger fan than I actually am.   Anyone else have a band like that?

The first two that come to my mind are Jethro Tull and Marillion.   

With Jethro Tull, I own (in varying formats) 13 of 20 albums.  Most of what I don’t own is latter day stuff.  There is something fascinating about JT that I can’t quite put my finger on.  But even of the albums I own, I would consider less than half of them “fantastic” while the rest I would simply say was OK or “pretty good”.    Minstrel in the Gallery is easily my favorite, and Bake St Muse may be in my top 20 prog rock songs of all time.  Thick as a Brick is also something that floors me from start to finish.   But the rest I mostly like in parts.  It seems Ian puts out just enough fantastic material to keep me intrigued, and just enough decent stuff to keep me coming back, but not quite enough to make me say that I’m this huge die hard fanboy.   

Marillion is another one that I could describe the same way.   Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Brave, Anoraknophobia, and Marbles would be amazing Crown Jewels in anyone’s discography....but then there’s albums I’ve been totally underwhelmed with.   The first two...Somewhere Else...dot com...Holidays in Eden...   And yet I own 11 of their 18 albums.   Some are fantastic even amazing.   Others are just barely good enough to keep me revisiting them.   Some are “spotty”...some just really a big ball of “meh”.   And yet I’m just fascinated enough to keep coming back to see if they recapture any of the brilliance I know they are capable of. 

Yes is almost a contender as well.   I’m sure I own over half their discography, but I would only call about 60% of what I own to be worthy of constant rotation.   

Do any of you guys have a band that you own nearly everything from, but you’re not as big a fan as your collection would lead others to believe?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ChuckSteak

Hmmm... no. I only buy records from bands I really, really like.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I brought some (4 or 5) albums by 'The Bouncing Souls' a few years ago - I couldn't name or hum a single song by them.  I have most of the 'Of Montreal' albums but only really like a couple of them, most of them have only been listened to once or twice.

Offline DTA

Led Zeppelin. I "acquired" like every single thing they've ever done from a friend a few years back with full intentions of listening to them and becoming a fan, but I've yet to really dig into any of their albums. Everytime I pull up my iTunes to listen to something, I always choose something else.

Offline jammindude

Well ya, but haven't you ever heard an album that you REALLY REALLY liked, so you decided to get something else from that band and then it turned out to be just OK?  Then you hear that a 3rd album is REALLY REALLY good, so you take a chance and it's absolutely amazing, so you figure that maybe the 2nd album that you didn't hate but just thought was kinda meh was just a fluke, so then you go and buy a 4th album from them, and half of it is amazing and the other half is meh....and then by word of mouth that you hear that a different album is incredible, so you pick it up and it's even better than the first and third album that you already thought were fantastic....and the process starts repeating?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ChuckSteak

Well ya, but haven't you ever heard an album that you REALLY REALLY liked, so you decided to get something else from that band and then it turned out to be just OK?  Then you hear that a 3rd album is REALLY REALLY good, so you take a chance and it's absolutely amazing, so you figure that maybe the 2nd album that you didn't hate but just thought was kinda meh was just a fluke, so then you go and buy a 4th album from them, and half of it is amazing and the other half is meh....and then by word of mouth that you hear that a different album is incredible, so you pick it up and it's even better than the first and third album that you already thought were fantastic....and the process starts repeating?
I never have this problem because I always listen to an album before I buy it and I wouldn't buy an album either based only on other people's opinions. Tastes are always subjective. In my opinion the consumer/fan has the right to know what he is buying. If you buy blindly and take chances all the time, you are likely to be disappointed and throw money in the garbage.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Lots of metal subgenres. Folk, black, etc. There was a time I was into this stuff but not anymore. However each album in my collection means something to me so I have a hard time even thinking about parting with them because they represent a piece of my life in some way.

Same with power metal. Don't really care for much of it anymore but I will never part with those CDs because they shaped nny musical taste and I still enjoy what I grew up with.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The Dead; I  have about 60 Dead disks - including live stuff - and the reality is, I only like about half of their output; I love the very early experimental stuff (Anthem of the Sun), and I love the Godcheaux years (about '72 to '78).   I can't stand Pigpen and that caterwauling on "Turn On Your Love Light" from the late '60's, early '70's, I don't really like the "Americana" of "American Beauty", and I don't at all like the Mydland and later years ('80 and on).   

I agree with Marillion; Clutching at Straws is one of my favorite albums of all time by anybody, but there are probably three or four albums in there that are unlistenable to me.   

Flaming Lips; I have a bunch of their albums and they are a curiosity to me; I don't actively "Listen" to them, but I will put them on when I'm doing something else or wanting to relax.

I might even put the Rolling Stones in there; I have all their studio albums and many of their live albums, so it's around 50 or 60 CDs, but while they are excellent, they are not my favorite of all time, and like the Dead, I have "era's". 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Symphony X. I believe I have most if not all of their albums, but I never listen to them, and for some reason, I just cannot get over the hump. It's music that I should absolutely love, but for some reason, I just don't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

It might actually be Symphony X for me as well, but mine is a tale of sadness and disappointment... I dunno, I'm still a fan, and they have more good albums than bad. Or I should say that they have more albums that I like than albums that I dislike, because none of it is bad.  But I have gone from being a big fan to being kind of indifferent about what they do next.

And I just thought about Queensryche, but on second thought my discography probably does tell the truth there.  I have everything up to Q2K and everything after that was "try before you buy" with me not buying.  Except the Todd LaTorre albums, which I owe digitally.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Queensryche might fall under this category for me.

I have an extensive collection of somewhat rare Vinyl 45's, picture discs, etc from them, all from the 80's and early 90's, and yet I haven't bought an album since Q2K and still have not spent much if any time listening to any of their music post-DeGarmo, since the 90's.

Styx is another. I collected a lot of their cds in the 90's and still enjoy them, but I hardly consider myself a huge fan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:10:18 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Many of us 'ol farts' did not have the luxury of listening to an entire LP before purchasing.  An example is hearing Journey's 'Wheel In The Sky' on FM radio.  Being tight on cash, it wasn't until they started putting 'Lights' into their programming that I went and bought 'Infinity'.

So I had it a few weeks before 'Feeling That Way/Anytime' ever got a bit of airplay.

People would think I'm a nut about Springsteen if they looked at my CDR collection.  I like The Boss, love a Detroit '81 concert I attended, think 'Born To Run', 'Darkness At The Edge Of Town', 'Born In The USA' and the '75-85 live' are fab...but waiver at the rest.

KISS:  I have the first six studio CDs (purchased for two bucks each), the three 'Alives', and countless cdr concerts from youtube that are backups for a friend who is hugely into the band.  I keep  them on hand if she messes her copies up.

Classical music:  I have around twenty CDs of various artists, all bought for a couple of dollars.  I can't name more than a handful of opus (opuses?  opie?)  but I DO listen to them. 

The BeeGees:  a bunch of LPs, CDs, and CDrs.  My wife is a fanatic!

The Rolling Stones:  Love the hits, a few albums, and thanks to the library, I have around thirty CDrs.  But I am not crazy about 20-40 percent of their material.

And Sinatra:  I do listen to Ol' Blue Eyes on occasion, made up a couple of greatest hits, but due to gifts and such I think I have over twenty vinyls.

As to Jethro Tull:  I hear you, I have almost all of Mr. Anderson's offerings.  Every so often, I throw an album on that I'm still not familiar with from the 80s onward (or 'bonus' stuff), kick back and enjoy.  I can't name the songs, but the experience is pleasureable.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:48:11 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
Opeth. I think I own everything by them apart from the Albert Hall DVD, I've seen them live more times than any other 'big' band and I have a bunch of shirts, a hat and a hoodie.

They're alright. I've described them before as a band I almost really like, but I'm not quite there. Terrific live though, and Ghost Reveries is amazing. Just don't really care too much for many of their other albums (start to finish I mean; plenty of good songs but their albums are almost all patchy as Hell)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Dream Theater - I own most of their albums (minus WDADU and the last few albums post-Dramatic Turn of Events) as well as several of the live albums and some other releases. Won't bash em but it has become clear over time that DT was more of a transitional band for me than anything else, one of those bands I had a huge phase for but has since kinda gone away. DT was monumental for me in going from a standard metalhead listening to the same type of music going into another life where I was open to other styles and I got DT to thank for a lot of that. I still revisit some of their albums once a year (or so), Awake, SFAM and SDOIT still holds up fairly well, but I don't listen to them actively. But if someone saw my collection they might think they're up there as one of my favorites.

Devin Townsend - I think what Jammindude wrote earlier rings very true for me with Devin. I've slowly collected probably half of his discography and there's always been a few gems to keep me interested and to give him more chances, but a lot of albums I would kinda just say are okay/decent. With Devin I've always wanted to like him more than I ended up doing, and I recognize what a lot of others here have described. For me, I got into Ocean Machine and Terria and really like both, but while I have enjoyed other albums, nothing has quite clicked as much. I still own about 8-10 Devy albums which is quite high for an artist I don't listen to much. I picked up Ocean Machine and Terria on colored vinyl a few years ago though and happy to have them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For me... Genesis, Tull, Blind Guardian are bands that I have the complete discography for.  Though, I don't kick myself too much since I didn't exactly pay for the discogs.  I ... "borrowed" them (online  ;)) long before Spotify was a thing with the intent to sample them and see what clicked.  Not much did, so I rarely listen to them.  I really should delete them from my library, as they're just taking up space.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Before I sold off some of my CDs, I think Metallica would have fallen under this category since I had every studio album from the debut through Death Magnetic, aside from St. Anger, yet they have never been a favorite of mine by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline The Letter M

The first one that comes to mind for me is Threshold. I was getting into them a couple of years ago and bought nearly their whole discography on Amazon and eBay (mostly from there, as some folks were selling their collections at the time). I like what I've heard, but I think because I got so much at one time, I overwhelmed myself and just have not gone back to really dive into their stuff.

I did the same thing with Marillion circa 2006, and just could not get into them. When I finally did, a couple years later, I bought A LOT of their stuff, and I have a lot of club CDs and DVDs (some rare ones, too, that I bought on eBay for more than I probably should have spent for Marillion at the time), some of which I'm sure I haven't even watched yet. I really enjoy Marillion, but I probably do not love them as much as my collection of their stuff would show.

Also gonna throw in Jethro Tull as well - I own 8 of their first 11 studio albums. Like Threshold, I like what I've heard, but I just never really got into them. I bought most of those albums when I was getting into prog rock, and was buying a lot of albums from those 70's bands, but bands like Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, and ELP just stuck with me a lot more than Tull, for one reason or another. I have tried to go back and give them another shot, but that was a few years ago. I have been listening to bands' full (mostly studio) discographies over the last couple of months (first ELP, then King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Kansas, and now Pink Floyd), so I may throw on Tull next, just to see if they click this time.

Along those same lines as Tull, I just remembered I could probably throw in Deep Purple as well. I should really go back and listen to those albums too...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:46:33 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, I've probably got about 50 bands I could list in this thread, serious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
My collection of Game of Thrones Funko Pops probably makes me look like a bigger fan than I am.

I don't know why, but they're so cute, I can't stop buying them!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
I gotta figure there's something.....

Pearl Jam?

21st century U2?