The Weapon
5 (1.3%)
Entre Nous
12 (3.1%)
Turn the Page
6 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: January 21, 2024, 04:39:59 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these Rush songs - Volume 1  (Read 3163 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Your favorites of these Rush songs - Volume 1
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
I find HYF to be an interesting album, because to me there are at least 7 songs where there is no unanimous favorite or clear standout. For me, Turn The Page is the best song, but I could easily say Time Stand Still is the best, or Prime Mover, or Open Secrets, etc. And I feel like there's a lot of fans who are the same in regards to this album. In that sense, it's a lot more solid throughout than other albums with clear favorites and standout tracks (Subdivisions, Between The Wheels, Natural Science, Xanadu, The Pass, etc.)

I would agree. In fact, I think HYF would rate higher if they had lopped off the last two tracks.  Tai Shan and High Water are, to me, the lowest points in their discography.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »
This was surprisingly easy.   I mean, I absolutely LOVE nearly everything on that list, so I thought it would be hard.   So I figured I would start by selecting the "GOD TIER" songs and then see what there was to work with after that.    Turns out, it was exactly 7 songs, so I didn't have to do a thing.

In the order I would put them in:

Territories
The Weapon
Between the Wheels
Subdivisions
Manhattan Project
Marathon
The Analog Kid
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
This was surprisingly easy.   I mean, I absolutely LOVE nearly everything on that list, so I thought it would be hard.   So I figured I would start by selecting the "GOD TIER" songs and then see what there was to work with after that.    Turns out, it was exactly 7 songs, so I didn't have to do a thing.

In the order I would put them in:

Territories
The Weapon
Between the Wheels
Subdivisions
Manhattan Project
Marathon
The Analog Kid

Subdivisions
Territories
Mission
Circumstances
Between the Wheels
Marathon
The Weapon

Close!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »
COOL!!!

And I only just now realized that all 7 of my picks are from the synth era....which is a bit surprising.    But I guess that’s just song selection.   Most of my favorites from the classic era are missing from that list.  Natural Science, Hemispheres, Xanadu, Red Barchetta, Jacob’s Ladder, La Villa....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
I find HYF to be an interesting album, because to me there are at least 7 songs where there is no unanimous favorite or clear standout. For me, Turn The Page is the best song, but I could easily say Time Stand Still is the best, or Prime Mover, or Open Secrets, etc. And I feel like there's a lot of fans who are the same in regards to this album. In that sense, it's a lot more solid throughout than other albums with clear favorites and standout tracks (Subdivisions, Between The Wheels, Natural Science, Xanadu, The Pass, etc.)

I would agree. In fact, I think HYF would rate higher if they had lopped off the last two tracks.  Tai Shan and High Water are, to me, the lowest points in their discography.

I didn't really like HYF the first time I heard it, and I really don't like the Aimee Mann guest vocals (I think they're cheesy), but it seems like every time I listen to it, I can't help but thinking how solid it is.  It's never going to top Hemispheres, MP or AFTK (especially after listening to the last one in 5.1 on my home system) but it's really good from top to bottom.  I get it that the band (or at least Geddy) doesn't like it, and I respect that, but I fail to see where the 'experiment' with Tai Shan failed.  It's not as bad as some of the press would have you believe.   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 08:59:04 AM »

I didn't really like HYF the first time I heard it, and I really don't like the Aimee Mann guest vocals (I think they're cheesy), but it seems like every time I listen to it, I can't help but thinking how solid it is.  It's never going to top Hemispheres, MP or AFTK (especially after listening to the last one in 5.1 on my home system) but it's really good from top to bottom.  I get it that the band (or at least Geddy) doesn't like it, and I respect that, but I fail to see where the 'experiment' with Tai Shan failed.  It's not as bad as some of the press would have you believe.   

I've always had a soft spot for the album.  I'd place it in the top 5 of Neil drumming performances for sure. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
Subdivisions, Analog Kid....one of my favorite 'two fers' ever

Friends in a band played 'Distant Early Warning' and 'Red Sector A' in the late 80s.....can't help but vote for those two.  They played them with a much heavier guitar/less synth sound, something I wish that 'Grace Under Pressure' would have followed. 

'A Farewell To Kings', 'Circumstances', and....obviously, 'Big Money', round out the top seven of this very, very unusual poll.

Curious as to where this is headed.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Does Geddy not like the album as a whole?  I've never heard that.  I actually remember reading that "they" felt that Hold Your Fire was stronger than Power Windows.  Or maybe it was just Neil saying that and it's how he feels/felt at the time...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:10:32 PM by Lethean »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
Actually, I heard exactly the opposite. That the whole band felt that Power Windows was the peak of the synth era and that they all feel the synths got way too overboard on HYF. In fact, I believe it was felt that Presto was an intentional attempt to get back to being more “organic” because they felt HYF had gone too far away from that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
I think Jammin is right, but to be fair, I was only talking about "Tai Shan" the song. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
My bracket was:

A Passage to Bangkok
Circumstances
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Distant Early Warning
Red Sector A
Time Stand Still

Offline Lethean

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
I think Jammin is right, but to be fair, I was only talking about "Tai Shan" the song.
That Geddy doesn't like Tai Shan?

I think you're probably both right, but for some reason I could swear that at least one of them had said Hold Your Fire was better than Power Windows.  But I have no idea where I might have read that, and it's quite possible that I'm mixing it up with something else.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 12:05:51 AM »
That Geddy doesn't like Tai Shan?

I think you're probably both right, but for some reason I could swear that at least one of them had said Hold Your Fire was better than Power Windows.  But I have no idea where I might have read that, and it's quite possible that I'm mixing it up with something else.

No....that Power Windows is the bands "high mark" of the synth era.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:24 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-history-of-rush-by-geddy-lee-alex-lifeson-moving-pictures-and-the-1980s
Quote from: Geddy
Overall, I thought Power Windows was a great accomplishment for us. But maybe not so much on the couple of albums after that – Hold Your Fire and Presto. On those records the keyboards were still present, but not in so positive a way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »
 each time a new album out I've been always talks up oh and Alma's better than the previous and that the new album is everything they wanted to do. Only after reflection the band can look at the album I don't really say what they feel. Just like Presto, Roll The Bones. they always thought that it sounded so much better live than it did Studio and that's why they went the with the balls sound of Counterparts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
Hmmm, I had never seen those comments by Geddy. I know he had called Hold Your Fire one of their dark horse records in the Contents Under Pressure book that came out in the mid 00's, but like all of us, opinions change over time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
"...Rush themselves (bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, drummer Neil Peart) have some major issues with Hold Your Fire, at least looking in hindsight. In 2009, the ever-candid Lee remarked to Blender magazine, 'You're supposed to be crappy when you make your first three or four records. But even in our middle period, we did this song called 'Tai Shan,' using a poem Peart wrote about climbing a mountain in China, and when I listen to that, it's like 'Bzzt.' Error. We should have known better.'"

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-hold-your-fire-turns-25/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
The funny thing is, Tai Shan is not that bad.  It doesn't stand out at all, but it's not as bad as some, or Geddy, make it out to be.  Besides, Geddy thinks Far Cry was great, so what does he know?  :biggrin:

Online pg1067

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
The funny thing is, Tai Shan is not that bad.  It doesn't stand out at all, but it's not as bad as some, or Geddy, make it out to be.  Besides, Geddy thinks Far Cry was great, so what does he know?  :biggrin:

Tai Shan is pretty bad.  Pretty much on the same level as Mystic Rhythms, but both are relatively inoffensive songs.  Songs like The Body Electric and Hand Over Fist are offensively bad.

Far Cry generally pees all over all of those those songs and laughs while doing so.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
Mystic Rhythms blows away Tai Shan.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
Mystic Rhythms is awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »
Mystic Rhythms and its exotic awesomeness pisses all over Far Cry and its boring and (rare for Alex) unimaginative riff.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
 :sadpanda:
Mystic Rhythms and its exotic awesomeness pisses all over Far Cry and its boring and (rare for Alex) unimaginative riff.

The thing I hate about Far Cry, especially live, is that the opening riff is never played the way it is on the studio album.

On the album, the last note of the 2nd measure is played on the "e" of beat 4, while live, they play that note right on the "&" of beat 4, so it goes into the first 3 notes of measure 3 at an even rhythm, rather than the syncopated rhythm the studio version has.

It sounds so...pedestrian when played live because of that, and it ruined the song for me. Also, the band's insistence to continue playing it after the S&A tour like it was their next big hit single was a bit off-putting. With other better songs to play live, they picked the one I couldn't care less about.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 05:58:47 PM »
The opening riff is fine.  It's that riff that kicks in after the Hemispheres chord that makes the song plunge.  Alex Lifeson is still the man, but I just can't believe how generic and boring that riff is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
Just shows how "mailed in" S&A is. One listen to Clockwork Angels proves it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Just shows how "mailed in" S&A is. One listen to Clockwork Angels proves it.

Yeah, no. 

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
my choices from this list are:

The Weapon
Marathon
Red Sector A
Cinderella Man
A Farewell To Kings
Circumstances
Something For Nothing