Author Topic: Fleetwood Mac: We Know Drama  (Read 3931 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Fleetwood Mac: We Know Drama
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
The latest: Lindsey Buckingham has been ousted.

Good luck with that.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Fleetwood Mac: We Know Drama
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Replaced by Neil Finn on vocals and Mike Campbell from Tom Petty on guitar. I'm actually intrigued
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »
Honestly, considering how much Stevie and Lindsey hate each other, it's unreal that they managed to co-exist for most of the last 40 years in the same band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »
I didn't know that. Where'd you read that?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
They told him to go his own way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
I didn't know that. Where'd you read that?

Wait, really?  I thought it was pretty common knowledge how much those two hate each other.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »
I actually thought he was a woman because of his name. One time I was in the car with my mom and Go Your Own Way was playing and I told her “You hear that male singer? Well it’s actually a woman”.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Honestly, considering how much Stevie and Lindsey hate each other, it's unreal that they managed to co-exist for most of the last 40 years in the same band.
Have they, though? I thought they both came and went regularly. When I saw the headline my first thought was "no shit!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »
I am sure it grinds Buckingham's gears that he has been the biggest musical force in the band since 1975, yet Nicks is viewed by most as the face of the band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
I really thought they resolved that. I really think this is a music issue with Lindsey. He is so self-absorbed affects everybody else.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
I am sure that is part of it.  From the sound of things, he was more concerned with getting in the studio and making new music again, while the others were ready for another greatest hits tour.  Considering Mick Fleetwood and John McVie rely almost solely on concert revenue as their source of income, since their writing credits are pretty scarce, it's no surprise that they would have sided against Buckingham on this one.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
Lindsey is one hell of a guitar player but I'd be interested in seeing Mike Campbell play for them. He is a great guitarist.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
I am sure that is part of it.  From the sound of things, he was more concerned with getting in the studio and making new music again, while the others were ready for another greatest hits tour.  Considering Mick Fleetwood and John McVie rely almost solely on concert revenue as their source of income, since their writing credits are pretty scarce, it's no surprise that they would have sided against Buckingham on this one.

Yeah, from what I heard, the new Fleetwood Mac album he wanted to make wound up becoming the Buckingham/McVie album they released last year.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 01:13:05 AM »
Fleetwood Mac are still active?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:43 AM »
Apparently there was a huge backstage row at the MusiCares event in January (Nicks gave a very long, rambling speech, prompting rumours that she'd been smoking something) which resulted in Mick sacking Lindsey (they left separately).
The 2018/19 farewell tour had already been booked, so they have no choice but to do it without him. Lindsey can be difficult to work with, but it's a real shame these people can't put their differences aside for what was supposed to be a farewell tour.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 02:38:36 AM »
I had no idea that Fleetwood Mac was still a thing..

It's a borderline miracle how they have managed to stay together as a group for this long. A shame too, since they have some quality material in their discography.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »

Yeah, from what I heard, the new Fleetwood Mac album he wanted to make wound up becoming the Buckingham/McVie album they released last year.

The Buckingham/McVie album features none other than Mick Fleetwood on drums and John McVie on Bass.  So it's basically Fleetwood Mac without Stevie.  I always wondered about that; now I get it.  I didn't realize that Lindsey and Stevie were fighting again.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »
Hasn't Christine McVie been out of the band for some time now? Without her and Buckingham, it's a different thing. I like their music though.

To the OP's thread title, I don't think there's more drama in any band than Fleetwood Mac.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
Hasn't Christine McVie been out of the band for some time now? Without her and Buckingham, it's a different thing. I like their music though.

To the OP's thread title, I don't think there's more drama in any band than Fleetwood Mac.

I'm not a Fleetwood Mac expert, but I just wanted to remind everybody that for some time in the late 1980s there used to exist TWO Yes bands. Oh wait - that is also the case right now.  ;D
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Some of you need to Google more.  Haha. 

Lindsey wants to make new music.   Fleetwood and J. McVie do not.  Nicks is indifferent.  She didn't partake in the "Buckingham/McVie" because she was in solo mode, and notoriously, she doesn't mix (like Phil and Genesis).  He is notoriously NOT in "nostalgia mode" and wants to move forward with or without the Mac.  As I understand it, that's the beef with this tour.  I could well be wrong, because above all things, Buckingham is a really odd duck.

His interview with Dan Rather (it should be on YouTube) is really interesting.  Sheds a lot of light on him and his way of thinking. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

She did retire but came out of retirement.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
I enjoyed the show the last time they were in Nashville when Christine came back, but I got the feeling that Lindsey enjoyed to hear himself talk.  Mick, the drummer, was great on that tour.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
Some of you need to Google more.  Haha. 

Lindsey wants to make new music.   Fleetwood and J. McVie do not.  Nicks is indifferent.  She didn't partake in the "Buckingham/McVie" because she was in solo mode, and notoriously, she doesn't mix (like Phil and Genesis).  He is notoriously NOT in "nostalgia mode" and wants to move forward with or without the Mac.  As I understand it, that's the beef with this tour.  I could well be wrong, because above all things, Buckingham is a really odd duck.

His interview with Dan Rather (it should be on YouTube) is really interesting.  Sheds a lot of light on him and his way of thinking.

That is the truth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »
LOL @ people not knowing the band was still active.

Also, double LOL @ Neil Finn
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »

Back of you Aussie! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »

Back of you Aussie! :lol

You asked for it - back of Aussie

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »
 :lol

Glorious!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
Apparently there was a huge backstage row at the MusiCares event in January (Nicks gave a very long, rambling speech, prompting rumours that she'd been smoking something) which resulted in Mick sacking Lindsey (they left separately).
Stevie Nicks gets lit and gives a long rambling speech so he sacks Lindsay Buckingham? You know, that actually makes sense coming from those people.

And for what it's worth, that girl gave no indication whatsoever of being stoned. I looked pretty closely and decided she was straight as an arrow. Granted, she's a Hall of Fame level professional. Maybe she's just amazingly gifted at acting straight. But if you can't tell that she's high what difference does it make?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Brent :clap:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 01:26:12 AM »
Stevie Nicks gets lit and gives a long rambling speech so he sacks Lindsay Buckingham? You know, that actually makes sense coming from those people.

And for what it's worth, that girl gave no indication whatsoever of being stoned. I looked pretty closely and decided she was straight as an arrow. Granted, she's a Hall of Fame level professional. Maybe she's just amazingly gifted at acting straight. But if you can't tell that she's high what difference does it make?

Lindsey can be a right jerk at times. I suspect he probably said something to her backstage that was totally out of order and tempers flared. I just don't buy this "Lindsey wanted to record new music" thing. He's wanted to do that for years, and has a solo career to do that. He knows damn well the big money is in playing the hits, and up to now he's been happy to get up on stage and take the paycheck. The 2015 tour netted them $200M, and you don't walk away from a pay-day like that just because you don't want to play "Go Your Own Way" again, and certainly not once you've already signed on the line to do exactly that. I suspect he was treating Stevie like shit again and she finally snapped back.

And yeah, I don't think she was stoned either.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
You didn't see the interview with Dan Rather, then.   Of any of those crusty old fools, the one guy that WOULD do all those things is Lindsey Buckingham.  He's a mercurial drama queen, and even he will say that.   These aren't "nine-to-five people" that do things the customary way. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
But I think C.O.'s point is that he is also just as likely to have gone off on Stevie or taken one jab too many, for precisely the personality characteristics you cite. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
But I think C.O.'s point is that he is also just as likely to have gone off on Stevie or taken one jab too many, for precisely the personality characteristics you cite.

I don't argue that.   I think you're right.   But when he's actively and clearly said "I'm interested in new music, not just being a karaoke act." it's not really up to us to tell him "Oh, no, you're wrong about what you think about yourself."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:23:05 AM »
We're not "telling him" anything.  I think some of us are just being a bit skeptical of his story because there is certainly precedent several times over of him acting contrary to what is being portrayed.  If someone who has no history of stretching the truth says something, I'm pretty likely to believe it.  If someone who has a pattern of questionable behavior says something, but there is an alternate theory that is perhaps more plausible because it is consistent with the person's past behavior, it's not unreasonable to doubt their public statement.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
Not arguing, just explaining; Buckingham himself is mercurial and he changes.  I don't think it's a matter of "he's not being truthful" as much as being a sort of raw nerve and maybe flip-flopping on certain issues.  I think his past behavior is all over the friggin' map, so it's not really about "straying" from an established pattern.