Poll

1981: Mob Rules or Diary of a Madman?

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
12 (37.5%)
Ozzy - Diary of a Madman
20 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: 1981: Mob Rules or Diary of a Madman?  (Read 927 times)

Offline WildRanger

1981: Mob Rules or Diary of a Madman?
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:29:34 AM »
Mob Rules for me.

For you?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 1981: Mob Rules or Diary of a Madman?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
Mob Rules for me, but Diary is great too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:54:58 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
this would be harder if it was Heaven and Hell, not Mob Rules, but I get the symmetry.

For me, it's not even close:  a pretty good Sabbath record versus the best of the best from Ozzy.    Diary.

Yes, list time:
OZZY                                        DIO                              SABBATH                               OVERALL
Diary Of A Madman                    Holy Diver                    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath          Diary Of A Madman
Blizzard of Ozz                           Last In Line                  Sabotage                                Sabbath  Bloody Sabbath
No More Tears                           Magica                          Heaven and Hell                     Sabotage
Bark At The Moon                       Sacred Heart                Vol. 4                                     Heaven And Hell
No Rest For The  Wicked             Master Of The Moon       Born Again                             Holy Diver
The Ultimate Sin                        Dream Evil                    Technical Ecstacy                    Vol. 4
Ozzmosis                                   Killing The Dragon         Paranoid                                 Blizzard Of Ozz
Down To Earth                           **Lock Up The Wolves   Never Say Die                         The Last In Line
Black Rain                                 ** Strange Highways     13                                          Born Again
Scream                                     ** Angry Machines         Black Sabbath                         Technical Ecstacy
                                                                                    Cross Purposes
                                                                                    Master of Reality
                                                                                    Forbidden
                                                                                    Mob Rules
                                                                                    Seventh Star
                                                                                    Tyr
                                                                                    Headless Cross
                                                                                    Dehumanizer
                                                                                    The  Eternal Idol

EDIT:  I'm already second guessing: probably should switch Technical Ecstacy (I LOVE that record) with Born Again, and  push The Last In Line down further behind those two. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
this would be harder if it was Heaven and Hell, not Mob Rules, but I get the symmetry.

For me, it's not even close:  a pretty good Sabbath record versus the best of the best from Ozzy.    Diary.

Yes, list time:
OZZY                                        DIO                              SABBATH                               OVERALL
Diary Of A Madman                    Holy Diver                    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath          Diary Of A Madman
Blizzard of Ozz                           Last In Line                  Sabotage                                Sabbath  Bloody Sabbath
No More Tears                           Magica                          Heaven and Hell                     Sabotage
Bark At The Moon                       Sacred Heart                Vol. 4                                     Heaven And Hell
No Rest For The  Wicked             Master Of The Moon       Born Again                             Holy Diver
The Ultimate Sin                        Dream Evil                    Technical Ecstacy                    Vol. 4
Ozzmosis                                   Killing The Dragon         Paranoid                                 Blizzard Of Ozz
Down To Earth                           **Lock Up The Wolves   Never Say Die                         The Last In Line
Black Rain                                 ** Strange Highways     13                                          Born Again
Scream                                     ** Angry Machines         Black Sabbath                         Technical Ecstacy
                                                                                    Cross Purposes
                                                                                    Master of Reality
                                                                                    Forbidden
                                                                                    Mob Rules
                                                                                    Seventh Star
                                                                                    Tyr
                                                                                    Headless Cross
                                                                                    Dehumanizer
                                                                                    The  Eternal Idol

EDIT:  I'm already second guessing: probably should switch Technical Ecstacy (I LOVE that record) with Born Again, and  push The Last In Line down further behind those two. 
Easily Diary for the reason you gave. For the most part I'm right on board with the tops of your lists. I have problems with the bottoms of your list, though. Lock Up the Wolves (why the **?) is a very good album. As are Tyr, Eternal Idol, and Dehumanizer. At least one of those cracks the top five, and maybe two.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:07 AM »
Oh, I forgot that: the "**" means I've heard it at most once or twice.  Couldn't probably tell you one song off it, except that it didn't grab me by the nuts the time I heard it.  To be fair, I'm only marginally more familiar with Black Rain and Scream, which I patently do not like. 

Look, I'm not thrilled with Dehumanizer, or The Eternal Idol (confused further by the vocalist roulette, including Tony Martin - who I like - trying  to sing "like" Ray Gillen ,but the reality is, that's a pretty solid catalogue up and down.  I certainly listen to Forbidden as much as anything that isn't in the Top Six...  And not to argue with you, but no "non-Geezer" album will likely ever crack my top five; he's as integral to the sound as Iommi is, and I actually think he's the best lyricist Sabbath ever had (I love me some Dio, but he's never written anything lyrically as good as "Spiral Architect".)

I probably should be fairer to Dehumanizer though.  I hated it for years - I would use it as my example of Sabbath falling into the plodding cliché - but I listened to it at the request of a guy that used to post over at mp.com (I think he posted here once or twice) and I was pleasantly surprised, but it apparently didn't stick with me. :)   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:06:19 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
This was tough until I really looked closely.

My first reaction was Diary because Diary is the best solo Ozzy song and might be better than anything he did with Sabbath.

But then Mob Rules has Falling off the Edge of the World, which is every bit as good.

For me, Turn up the Night is on the same level as Over the Mountain, and the same is true of Voodoo and Flying High Again.  You Can't Kill Rock and Roll is a really good song, but Sign of the Southern Cross is definitely better.

This is where Mob Rules pulled away.  Believer, Little Dolls and Tonight are all no better than average songs, but The Mob Rules, Country Girl and Slipping Away are all well above average, and the worst of them is better than any of the three songs on Diary.

Diary of a Madman and Falling Off cancel out, which leaves SATO and Over and Over.  O&O is the only weak track on Mob Rules, and SATO is excellent.

With all that, I went with Mob Rules, but both albums are big contributors to the golden age of heavy rock/metal from about 1980-85.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:03:30 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Tricky one. Love both but went for Diary on the consistency.
I probably prefer Heaven and Hell to MR. Combine 5he best of both and it’s awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
Diary easy!

I actually consider Mob Rules to be Dio's vocal peak.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »

My first reaction was Diary because Diary is the best solo Ozzy song and might be better than anything he did with Sabbath.

But then Mob Rules has Falling off the Edge of the World, which is every bit as good.

For me, Turn up the Night is on the same level as Over the Mountain, and the same is true of Voodoo and Flying High Again.  You Can't Kill Rock and Roll is a really good song, but Sign of the Southern Cross is definitely better.

This is where Mob Rules pulled away.  Believer, Little Dolls and Tonight are all no better than average songs, but The Mob Rules, Country Girl and Slipping Away are all well above average, and the worst of them is better than any of the three songs on Diary.

Diary of a Madman and Falling Off cancel out, which leaves SATO and Over and Over.  O&O is the only weak track on Mob Rules, and SATO is excellent.

With all that, I went with Mob Rules, but both albums are big contributors to the golden age of heavy rock/metal from about 1980-85.

Hahahaha!   Hohohoho!  This belongs in the humor thread!    Haha!   

I'm kidding of course, but I do disagree.   Diary slays Mob Rules.  It's not as if Mob Rules sucks either; it's a tremendous record, but it's being compared to what is for me probably Ozzy's crowning achievement, and why he even has a career at this point.   

1. Tonight (fav Ozzy song ever)    >              The Sign Of The Southern Cross
2. Diary Of A Madman                  >              Falling Off The Edge Of The World
3. You Can't Kill Rock And Roll       >             E5150/The Mob Rules
4. Flying High Again                     >              Country Girl
5. S.A.T.O.                                  >              Voodoo
6. Over The Mountain                   =              Turn Up The Night
7. Believer                                   =              Slipping Away
8. Little Dolls                                =to<        Over And Over

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »

Hahahaha!   Hohohoho!  This belongs in the humor thread!    Haha!   

I'm kidding of course, but I do disagree.   Diary slays Mob Rules.  It's not as if Mob Rules sucks either; it's a tremendous record, but it's being compared to what is for me probably Ozzy's crowning achievement, and why he even has a career at this point.   

1. Tonight (fav Ozzy song ever)    >              The Sign Of The Southern Cross
2. Diary Of A Madman                  >              Falling Off The Edge Of The World
3. You Can't Kill Rock And Roll       >             E5150/The Mob Rules
4. Flying High Again                     >              Country Girl
5. S.A.T.O.                                  >              Voodoo
6. Over The Mountain                   =              Turn Up The Night
7. Believer                                   =              Slipping Away
8. Little Dolls                                =to<        Over And Over

I knew you'd disagree simply by virtue of Tonight.  I'm not sure where you came up with the match ups you used (I simply matched them up by album order, with the exception of Diary and Falling Off).  Nevertheless, even with your match ups, the Mob Rules:

Tonight    <<<<   Southern Cross
Diary          =       Falling Off
Can't Kill   <or=    E5150/Mob Rules
Flying         <        Country Girl
SATO         >>      Voodoo
Mountain     =       Turn Up
Believer     >>      Slipping
Dolls          <or=    Over and Over

And, as you said, it's not as though Diary sucks.  It's one of the seminal metal albums of all time.  I just think Mob is an overall more solid album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
I compared my favorites on both albums, my second favorites on both, etc. etc.   So Tonight is my favorite song on DOAM, and Sign... is my favorite on Mob Rules.  Etc. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
If I am drafting the two albums I go:

Diary Of A Madman
Falling Off The Edge Of The World
Over The Mountain
You Can't Kill Rock And Roll

Over And Over

Mob Rules
Sign Of The Southern Cross

SATO
Believer
Flying High Again
Tonight

Slipping Away
Country Girl

Little Dolls
Turn Up The Night
Voodoo

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol