0 (0%)
Headless Children
4 (22.2%)
Crimson Idol
6 (33.3%)
other (name it below)
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Your favorite W.A.S.P album?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your favorite W.A.S.P album?
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:10 PM »
So which one?

Crimson Idol for me.

Offline Lowdz

Re: Your favorite W.A.S.P album?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
I love several of their albums but Crimson Idol is my favourite.

I’ve been listening to the ones that came after it as I didn’t bother with them at the time and they all seem to be decent if a bit same-y.

I’d go
Ci
S/T
HC
TLC
TEC

But those more recent ones might overtake the bottom two in time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Crimson Idol.  But the debut and Headless Children are just behind.

Honorable mentions to Dying For the World and KFD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
Stopped following them after HC, altho it is by far my favorite album of their's that I'm familiar with. Lot's of good stuff on the earlier albums, altho I'm now at a point in my life that I don't feel comfortable listening to a lot of it because of the lyrics. Been meaning to check out some of the more recent stuff since I've read Blackie's become a born-again Christian, but haven't taken the time to do so yet.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:32:01 AM »
Stopped following them after HC, altho it is by far my favorite album of their's that I'm familiar with. Lot's of good stuff on the earlier albums, altho I'm now at a point in my life that I don't feel comfortable listening to a lot of it because of the lyrics. Been meaning to check out some of the more recent stuff since I've read Blackie's become a born-again Christian, but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

What exactly do you mean mate?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Super tough for me as the debut and Headless Children are super important albums with Crimson Idol only a tiny bit behind them.

I went with Headless Children in my Top 50 so will go with that , but HC and debut are pretty much a tie.  Awesome , melodic heavy metal.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
The lyrics go against my Christian beliefs - not unlike Blackie refusing to perform Animal live anymore, and from what I've read, changing some of the lyrics in the redo of the Crimson Idol.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
I used to crank the S/T album going to my cousins apartment which was in the heart of the Dominican/Puerto Rican neighborhood (Where I grew up) and the looks I got cranking that album with the windows down. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
Where the F is there a Dominican neighborhood in New Hampshire? They don't call them the White Mountains by accident! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »
Where the F is there a Dominican neighborhood in New Hampshire? They don't call them the White Mountains by accident! ;D

Lawrence Mass. My parents bought a house in Salem, N.H. in 1977 when I was 9 years old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
The debut is just classic metal.

Haven't heard much of anything from them after Crimson Idol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:40:00 PM »
The lyrics go against my Christian beliefs - not unlike Blackie refusing to perform Animal live anymore, and from what I've read, changing some of the lyrics in the redo of the Crimson Idol.

Fair enough mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
Perfect time to share some thoughts on the ReIdolized cd.  Managed to pick this up in store last week which was a pleasant surprise.  I didn't know what to expect but from what I'd heard things were promising enough.  To re-recorded an album like TCI all these years later is no easy task and I'm really enjoying the outcome.

Blackie sounds great, even in parts where you can tell he's changing the tone and timbre of his voice just to reach the notes, but pops for not changing keys or anything.  I'm impressed that everything is taken exactly from the original.  Some may find this pointless but not me.  It's pretty tight all round and I'm even impressed Doug played the solos how they originally went also.  He's definitely not as clean as Bob/Doug in the original but that's his style and once you get use to it, it's fine.

Production sounds nice and beefy too.  The new songs are really really good, the run of new stuff before Great Misconceptions are excellent and it's great Blackie added things but didn't add things for the sake and the quality didn't suffer.  I don't understand the point of Miss You on here.  I think Blackie wrote this for his Brother who passed I think, which I believe is Michael, but not sure why it's here, but I haven't read through the story or watched the DVD yet.  Don't even know if I will watch the DVD at all truthfully.

The only negative and it's not a big deal is the changed lyrics in Chainsaw Charlie.  I respect Blackie and his beliefs but this is the only part that makes me cringe.  All in all, a great release and for a band that peopel have written off for years, showing fine form being able to do this.  Worth a listen if you love the original.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
My favorite is Crimson idol. I'd have trouble ranking a list after that as WASP has a lot of solid albums.

Though I'll give Dying For the World an honorable mention as I feel it doesn't get brought up often enough. It would definitely be in my top 5....just not sure where
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
Though I'll give Dying For the World an honorable mention as I feel it doesn't get brought up often enough. It would definitely be in my top 5....just not sure where

Yep.  Such a powerful album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
I bought their last album Golgotha when it came out and had a couple good listens. I haven't played it since then though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
I bought their last album Golgotha when it came out and had a couple good listens. I haven't played it since then though.

That's a great album.  Dominator was really good too.

Blackie hasn't really done anything bad in his long career, everything after TCI still is really quite good, even great, bar Helldorado which is crap.  Neon God was a poor mans Crimson Idol but had some good stuff on it.