Author Topic: Why Motorhead haven't achieved any commercial success in the USA?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Why Motorhead haven't achieved any commercial success in the USA?
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
Why does it matter that Motorhead didn't make it huge? You like them, what else matters?

Pain of Salvation is my favorite band. Do I care, at all, that almost no one in America knows who they are? Nah. I like them. I don't need more than that.

I concur.  You can pretty say that for any band that someone deems their favorite band, especially Dream Theater (though their following is pretty sizable in the states, the mainstream rock/metal recognition is not always as prominent).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:47 AM »
Well yeah, but hef said that Metallica were "largely regarded as the greatest metal band of all time". I mean Coheed and Cambria are my favourite band of all time and I think they are "the greatest". I know that's an opinion that others share but I would never claim them to be largely regarded as the greatest, as I know it's not true. Metallica on the other hand, I would say if you were able to ask every metal fan in the world who they consider to be the greatest (not their favourite, but the band that has gained the most success or notoriety) then I imagine Metallica would top the poll. No other band sells like they do, and that is for a reason.

I used to consider them my favourite band of all time, so I may be biased, but even though I don't anymore, I'd still describe them as the pinnacle of what metal bands aim to be.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »

But AJFA is a moment in time capturing a band that is largely regarded as the greatest metal band of all time at the height of their powers, both playing and compositionally.  Are there problems with the album?  Of course.  But the songs are gold.  Frankly, IMO if the album had the production of the Black Album, it would be one of the greatest of all time.

Would you explain me this? I know that 80's Metallica is widely considered as ONE OF the greatest metal bands. I can't deny it. But the greatest? Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest beg to differ.

"Greatest" is just code for "favorite," which is completely subjective.

Metallica might very well be the "biggest," the "most famous," and/or the "most successful" metal band (and probably the metal band most well known to folks who are not generally metal fans or who are only casual metal band).  But I wouldn't agree that Metallica "is largely regarded as the greatest metal band of all time."

WildRanger, are you going to answer the questions we've been asking you?  You may not want to share that info, but it's rude to ignore the questions.

And, while you can find my info by checking my profile, I'm 51 and in southern California.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
If we are going to be sharing that sort of info, I'm 26 and live in Garden Grove which about 10 minute drive away to Anaheim and Disneyland. Interestingly enough, I have not been to Disneyland since I started living in Garden Grove in 2017, but I have been to the Anaheim House of Blues three times since living in Garden Grove.  Great venue, great concerts, great bands, great crowds, solid parking rate, etc.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
35, from the UK and the proud owner of two of the world's stupidest cats  :hat

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 11:14:17 AM »

And, while you can find my info by checking my profile, I'm 51 and in southern California.

I'm 39 and in Netherlands. So, why does it matter anyway?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
I'm 34 from Jersey!  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

Dude, you may have missed it but I posted a ska punk album in the 'What album' thread asking for your opinion. It's an album called Got the Thirst by King Prawn. Check it  :metal

Edit: sorry to derail the thread further  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »

I guess it helps understanding your point of view better.

You and I grew up only 1000 kms and 1 year apart. It would be nice if you'd like to answer my question  :smiley:

WildRanger, I have a very honest question for you. Changing the perspective, have you ever considered what an actually wonderful thing is the way appreciation fluctuates depending on cultures, areas, and eras?

Where's the fun in discussing rock'n'roll if everything succeeded (or blowed) the same way everywhere in any time?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »

It matters a lot. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
I am 46 and from North Carolina, although I sometimes dream that I am 11,347 and from ancient Sumeria.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »

Dude, you may have missed it but I posted a ska punk album in the 'What album' thread asking for your opinion. It's an album called Got the Thirst by King Prawn. Check it  :metal

Edit: sorry to derail the thread further  :lol

I'll have to look, I don't think I've read that thread

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »

Since I asked, and as I stated, I'm trying to understand your POV. Just to get a feel of where you're coming from. You are making statements about happenings decades ago, and was wondering if you actually experienced that time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »

Since I asked, and as I stated, I'm trying to understand your POV. Just to get a feel of where you're coming from. You are making statements about happenings decades ago, and was wondering if you actually experienced that time.

This is about the best explanation I can think of.

It also puts comments like this in perspective:  "If you are a metal kid who has been growing up in Britain it's nearly impossible that you've never heard of Diamond Head.  But if you are from the US, it's a different thing.  I get it.  Most American rock fans also never heard an album 'Deep Purple in Rock' in their life, although that album has a huge impact on anything hard rock and heavy metal."

I'll ask the question again:  What makes you think you have the slightest clue what "most American rock fans" have and haven't heard of?  And, since you've now told us you're not in England (which I think most of us already inferred based on your writing style), what makes you think you know what "a metal kid . . . growing up in Britain" is or isn't familiar with"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but I think part of the problem with Motorhead is that they were kinda stuck between genres. They didn't really like being associated with Metal but to this day they are usually lumped in with the NWOBHM. They had a punk edge to them but never were really embraced by the Punk community and they were way too rough around the edges for blues rock fans. I imagine it was hard for them to carve out a niche because of this. They managed to ride the Metal wave in America for a very short time but, because they're not really a Metal band, they weren't able to stick around when the genre really exploded in the 80s.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but I think part of the problem with Motorhead is that they were kinda stuck between genres. They didn't really like being associated with Metal but to this day they are usually lumped in with the NWOBHM. They had a punk edge to them but never were really embraced by the Punk community and they were way too rough around the edges for blues rock fans. I imagine it was hard for them to carve out a niche because of this. They managed to ride the Metal wave in America for a very short time but, because they're not really a Metal band, they weren't able to stick around when the genre really exploded in the 80s.
So it took a year and 3 pages to get there, but I think this is pretty solid. They really were an odd duck. Myself, I really dig Motörhead, but I never just put on their albums or anything. That kind of applies to everybody else I know. Everybody likes them, but nobody loves them.

The reality is that there's just no telling why some bands hit it off in one location and not another. There's currently another (much less maligned) discussion about why Queen disappeared in the US during the '80s. Who really knows? I was amazed to learn that Van Halen opened for Bon Jovi in Europe, since for all of my existence VH was always a top tier act. Europeans ignored them, apparently. Who knew. Maiden was wildly popular in the US back in the 80s, and while their popularity has skyrocketed elsewhere it's diminished here a great deal hear. They do US tours that are smaller than their Texas tours back in the day. I've never seen Saxon play larger than a 1k theater here, and now it's more like 350, but they get solid billing at festivals overseas. For half his life Japanese girls were throwing their Hello Kitty pantsu at Phil Mogg, but UFO has never enjoyed any success here. Best answer for any of this is simply that it bees that ways sometimes.

I saw them on the Operation Rock And Roll Tour in 1991.
Stadler, how did you miss that tour??
Holy shit. I saw that tour, and apparently repressed the entire memory. Every once in a while I'm reminded that I saw something, to my surprise, and it always trips me out.

Might have been the Orgasmatron tour. I remember being back in the concourse area hearing the song and thinking "God damn, that's pretty cool."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Bart, it was the 1916 tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol