Author Topic: Next year is the 30th anniversary of WDADU  (Read 6594 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Next year is the 30th anniversary of WDADU
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
Didn't JP mention in an interview that OAMOT was originally in the setlist for the AFTR tour, but they dropped it to avoid making the show too long? I could see them bringing back that one and maybe TKH, which is one of the most popular songs on the album, but I think Status Seeker, LFAGA and (sadly) TOWHTSTS will most likely never be played again.

Yes, I remember this too. Hope they decide to add at least this one to the set for the next tour cycle.

I'd take You Not Me over The Ones. Sorry for those of you who like the song.

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
Because I never heard it live, and I think that for what it is, it's actually a decent song that could work well live. Never got into The Ones... instead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Being a fan from 1989 but only first seeing them live in 1993, I feel fortunate to have attended the "WDaDR" show. But I agree with those who feel that the anniversary thing is pretty played out. It would be nice to at least have them include one or two songs from the album in the set, but that's about all I'd expect they would. And given both their current history of static setlists and tendency to drop songs that don't get much of a reaction from the audience, I'm pretty sure at best we'll see the 3 that have already been played by the current lineup. Maybe they might surprise us with TKH or OaMoT, but I wouldn't bank on it. And there's no hope of seeing SS, LFaGA and TOWHtStS despite the fact that I really like the latter two, and even SS isn't bad aside from the lame intro.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
And I've still never heard the album to this day.. Only live versions of some songs with JLB.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
And I've still never heard the album to this day.. Only live versions of some songs with JLB.

Actually, it's much better than people usually say it is.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
As much as I pay to see them do this (as it's a big favorite of mine) I realize the likelihood of them doing this is about the same as Rush playing a concert on a cruise ship.

They've left enough of a record to satisfy me though.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 09:19:45 PM »

No doubt, although the production is as bad as people say it is.  Charlie sounds pretty awesome on the songs too.  He's got a pretty unique voice.  Doesn't have the power or the range that James has but he makes up for that with a really distinct style.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
I've been meaning to buy the album for many years but haven't got around to it.  It sure has a lame album cover, if not cringeworthy. I know the music is good though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »

No doubt, although the production is as bad as people say it is.  Charlie sounds pretty awesome on the songs too.  He's got a pretty unique voice.  Doesn't have the power or the range that James has but he makes up for that with a really distinct style.

I agree. Charlie might not be the best vocalist out there, but he really did a good job on the album. I think the only vocal part I don’t like is “I am the killing haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand” :lol

About the production, the album would benefit a lot from a remix or even a re recording. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to remix the whole thing and release it for the 30th anniversary.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »
About the production, the album would benefit a lot from a remix or even a re recording. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to remix the whole thing and release it for the 30th anniversary.
I agree about it being a great idea, but seeing as the band doesn't have the rights to the original tapes, a remix will never happen. There are the promo-single remixes of SS and Afterlife, which definitely sound better, but unfortunately it's just those 2 tracks, and they were never included as bonus tracks when WDaDU was reissued, so it's highly unlikey that they would now.

And the rerecording has already been done. Yes, WDaDR is a live release, but that's as close to a rerecording as we'll ever see.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
"Charlie sounds pretty awesome?" No, not really.

Remix/Re-record the album? Not really to that either. Let's not treat art as something dynamic like we are George Lucas. The album is what it is. Let's accept it for that.

Edit... in fairness to Charlie, he was given some very, very difficult lines and phrasings to sing, and I am sure most of us would agree he did his best, and the result was anywhere between mediocre to good, which, unfortunately wasn't good enough to elevate the album to a higher level. James would be given even more difficult material on the next album. Fortunately for him and for us all, he delivered an A+.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:26:19 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
While WDaDU is in the top-half of their discography for me, I have to agree that they definitely should not do the whole album for a tour. They already did that 15(!!!) years ago. But since that show/tour in 2004, most of the songs had been all but retired until 2011. It would be nice to get at least one or two for the next tour, but they don't need to make a big production about it being the anniversary. Just play the songs, and leave room to play songs off every other album (except I&W). And for me personally, I would like to see the songs I have yet to see, which are Status Seeker, The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, and Only a Matter of Time, but I wouldn't complain about getting any of the others if they play multiple songs.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »
And for me personally, I would like to see the songs I have yet to see, which are Status Seeker, The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, and Only a Matter of Time, but I wouldn't complain about getting any of the others if they play multiple songs.
For a second I thought you forgot to include LFaGA, but then I noticed you're in Boston, so you must've been at the 2004 show at the Orpheum then, right?  :)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
I was! My first DT show as a fan (saw them in '98 opening for DP and ELP which was the first time I'd heard of them). I actually didn't even know WDaDU at the time, but I had done my research and figured out what song it was by the chorus. I thought it was a pretty cool tune at the time, though I didn't realize how rare it was until later. I've listened to that bootleg many times, and I think it's still a good song and sounds good live, but I'm not surprised it's never been played after that show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
Yeah, it's disappointing that it's never been played since, but given that it's so obscure, it's not completely surprising. Just glad that I was at the same show as you, as well as the LA show since it is my favorite from WDaDU.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
I would be fine with them playing a tune or two off the album if they gave those tunes a complete makeover. Like, reinterpret their own song, don't just play it as-is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
I would be fine with them playing a tune or two off the album if they gave those tunes a complete makeover. Like, reinterpret their own song, don't just play it as-is.

Isn't however more difficult to reinvent such difficult songs? with an easier, hard-rockish, 4/4 tune you can come up with a slightly different drum pattern, add some guitar licks here and there, change a bit the vocal melody to emphatize a passage, that kind of stuff. How do you reinvent Light Fuse and Get Away or Only a Matter of Time?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »

I agree. Charlie might not be the best vocalist out there, but he really did a good job on the album. I think the only vocal part I don’t like is “I am the killing haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand” :lol

Heh....yeeeeeah BUT I actually got the studio album after I heard WDADRU and my first impression of that line was from his last gig with the band.  That wasn't so great.  Then when I heard the studio version I was prepared for that line (especially after hearing LaBrie's Live at the Marquee screams) and I can say Charlie's album version was sure better than his live version. 

That's nitpicking though.  Also, whenever Charlie comes up I always have to make my obligatory statement about digging the Dominici band, especially Part 3.  Wish there were more. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Agree about the O3 albums. Parts 2 and 3 are amazing, even though they took a little too much DT inspiration on a few songs. Charlie managed to come up with a great band for those albums and still wish they released another one.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
I'd take You Not Me over The Ones. Sorry for those of you who like the song.

This gets my vote too.  Even better, the demo version of You Or Me.  (No apologies.)

Offline Evai

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »
I do think the remixed version makes the songs sound a lot better, despite the heavy compression.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
Personally, I feel the standard "anniversary" thing has been played-out.

I don't need to hear <album> in its entirety and in order, especially if it has songs they play all the time or have played into the ground.  I'd much rather hear rarely-played songs or alternate versions or perhaps a mini encore of the <album> having the anniversary.

We just passed the 20th for Falling Into Infinity (Fall 2017) and didn't get even a tiny peep of it live.  Granted, maybe they didn't want to mess up The Astonishing and only did a small Images & Words 25th tour, and didn't have room.  But, considering how much of FII we haven't heard live AT ALL, I would really love for them to re-energize those unreleased tracks at some point.

If they are indeed waiting for the 25th anniversary of FII then that'd be fine as well, but there's just too much great stuff that (musically) was happening during that time.

TL;DR - No, not another full run-through of WDADU, please.

They did do Hells Kitchen on the Images & Words tour and TOT is played pretty regularly. I take your point though about it not being officially recognised. I suppose the 25th anniversary of Images took precedence.

Can’t see them making a fuss of WDADU after they already celebrated that album on it’s 15th anniversary. Would be great to hear any of those songs on the next tour though. Production is not great on the album and the remaster didn’t help it an awful lot. That being said, there are some really great songs on there and DT fans shouldn’t be afraid to check it out because it’s a different singer or because it seems to get talked down on the forum. I actually think it’s in the top half of their catalogue. A Fortune In Lies, Afterlife, The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun and Only A Matter Of Time are all DT classics imo. Only song I’ve never been keen on is Light Fuse and Get Away.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
Once again....I’m the weird one. I never got the overwhelming praise for Only a Matter of Time. Easily my least favorite on the album. Just comes off as disjointed to me.

1. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
2. The Killing Hand
3. Light Fuse and Get Away
4. Ytse Jam
5. Afterlife
6. Fortune in Lies
7. Status Seeker
8. Only a Matter of Time
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »

Isn't however more difficult to reinvent such difficult songs? with an easier, hard-rockish, 4/4 tune you can come up with a slightly different drum pattern, add some guitar licks here and there, change a bit the vocal melody to emphatize a passage, that kind of stuff. How do you reinvent Light Fuse and Get Away or Only a Matter of Time?

Not easy for sure, but they managed to make an acoustic version of Another Day, so there's definitely the potential.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »
I remember them doing an incredible version of The Killing Hand on the SDOIT tour in London. It was a less over the top more bluesy (I think, it was a long time ago!) version and I remember some Petrucci stuff in it that almost brought me to tears of joy, it was that good. Would love to hear that again.

Also OAMOT the worst song on the album? Wash your mouth out!

Just kidding of course, just another example of why we love Dream Theater so much, they very rarely do filler, one persons worst song is another persons favourite.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
I just don't understand why they didn't bring TKH live. It's one of their best epic with intro Another Hand. I care less for the others.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
That was one of the few bummer things on WDADRU that they rearranged TKH, yet for the first time in quite a while actually played the album intro as opposed to Another Hand. Would have rather they done the full album arrangement since it was being played in full.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »

I don't need to hear <album> in its entirety and in order, especially if it has songs they play all the time or have played into the ground.  I'd much rather hear rarely-played songs or alternate versions or perhaps a mini encore of the <album> having the anniversary.

We just passed the 20th for Falling Into Infinity (Fall 2017) and didn't get even a tiny peep of it live.  Granted, maybe they didn't want to mess up The Astonishing and only did a small Images & Words 25th tour, and didn't have room.  But, considering how much of FII we haven't heard live AT ALL, I would really love for them to re-energize those unreleased tracks at some point.

If they are indeed waiting for the 25th anniversary of FII then that'd be fine as well, but there's just too much great stuff that (musically) was happening during that time.

They did do Hells Kitchen on the Images & Words tour and TOT is played pretty regularly. I take your point though about it not being officially recognised. I suppose the 25th anniversary of Images took precedence.

FII and ToT are not albums that need anniversary recognition.  FII represents something of a depressing period in the band's career and, while it has its supporters, it's not generally recognized as a fan favorite.  ToT is typically better regarded, but there's nothing "special" about it that warrants any sort of anniversary recognition

If you're going to do any sort of anniversary recognition, it needs to be limited to albums like WDADU (first album), I&W (the album that broke them big) and maybe SFAM.  Otherwise, pretty much every year is the something-th anniversary of some album.

Once again....I’m the weird one. I never got the overwhelming praise for Only a Matter of Time. Easily my least favorite on the album. Just comes off as disjointed to me.

2. The Killing Hand
4. Ytse Jam
5. Afterlife
6. Fortune in Lies
7. Status Seeker
8. Only a Matter of Time

OaMoT is disjointed but TOWHtStS LFaGA aren't???
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
DT fans use more acronyms than the US military.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »

FII and ToT are not albums that need anniversary recognition.  FII represents something of a depressing period in the band's career and, while it has its supporters, it's not generally recognized as a fan favorite.  ToT is typically better regarded, but there's nothing "special" about it that warrants any sort of anniversary recognition

If you're going to do any sort of anniversary recognition, it needs to be limited to albums like WDADU (first album), I&W (the album that broke them big) and maybe SFAM.  Otherwise, pretty much every year is the something-th anniversary of some album.

2. The Killing Hand
4. Ytse Jam
5. Afterlife
6. Fortune in Lies
7. Status Seeker
8. Only a Matter of Time

At least those 2 have choruses....and said chorus gets repeated in the song. Does OAMOT even have a chorus?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
Only a Matter of Time has no chorus.
Only a Matter of Time needs no chorus.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »

2. The Killing Hand
4. Ytse Jam
5. Afterlife
6. Fortune in Lies
7. Status Seeker
8. Only a Matter of Time

At least those 2 have choruses....and said chorus gets repeated in the song. Does OAMOT even have a chorus?

No, but so what?

Other songs that have no choruses:  Metropolis Part 1, Suicide Solution, Jacob's Ladder.

Other songs that have choruses:  We Built This City, Call Me Maybe, Friday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
 The subject was not whether or not courses made something good. The topic was whether or not a song is disjointed. Even if you don’t like a song, I don’t think having a repeating and memorable chorus  can possibly qualify something as disjointed. 

I feel like you traded subjects mid conversation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
The subject was not whether or not courses made something good. The topic was whether or not a song is disjointed. Even if you don’t like a song, I don’t think having a repeating and memorable chorus  can possibly qualify something as disjointed. 

I feel like you traded subjects mid conversation.

No.  You're the one who mentioned choruses, and I couldn't figure out why.  Apparently you think the presence of a "repeating and memorable chorus" precludes a song from being "disjointed."  I don't happen to agree or really understand why you think that, but at least I see where you're coming from.  Moreover, to the extent you were implying that the lack of a chorus necessarily makes a song "disjointed," I think the examples I gave demonstrate otherwise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »
A song can have a memorable chorus and be disjointed in other ways
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"