Author Topic: Next year is the 30th anniversary of WDADU  (Read 6600 times)

Offline gzarruk

Next year is the 30th anniversary of WDADU
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
I just realized that next year is going to be the 30th anniversary of WDADU. Should they take this into consideration for the next tour? It's not a fan favorite album, so playing it in full every night wouldn't be the best thing to do, but maybe add 2 or 3 songs from the album to the set for the whole tour?

Personally, I'd love to see TKH back in the set, maybe OAMOT too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Next year is the 30th anniversary of WDADU
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
Yeah, The Killing Hand would be nice to hear.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
I would be perfectly content if they skipped celebrating this dud :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
Having done the entire thing and recording it for the 15th anniversary, I'm not sure they need to do it again.  But a mini-set like what they did with the Awake/SFAM material on the AFTR tour, or something like that, would be a great way to acknowledge the anniversary.  Even if it is only maybe 3 songs, that would be cool. 

Personally, I'd take THK, OAMOT, LFAGA, and SS, since the first two are favorites that haven't been played much in awhile, and the latter two are just rarely played in general.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
Having done the entire thing and recording it for the 15th anniversary, I'm not sure they need to do it again.  But a mini-set like what they did with the Awake/SFAM material on the AFTR tour, or something like that, would be a great way to acknowledge the anniversary.  Even if it is only maybe 3 songs, that would be cool. 

Personally, I'd take THK, OAMOT, LFAGA, and SS, since the first two are favorites that haven't been played much in awhile, and the latter two are just rarely played in general.

^^ This...mostly.  I could do without LFAGA and SS, but OAMOT and TKH are my favorites on the album.  They played OAMOT the first time I saw them (I&W tour).  The opening keyboard melody reminded me a little of Pirates by ELP, so I always think of OAMOT as a "pirate song" (even though it lyrically has nothing to do with that).  Can't remember the last time I saw them do it, so I'd love to have it back in the set.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
I'd love them to do the Killing Hand, Status Seeker, and Light Fuse since those are the 3 I've never heard live.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
I'd love them to do the Killing Hand, Status Seeker, and Light Fuse since those are the 3 I've never heard live.

+1 for TKH and LFAGA, but hope they never play SS again  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
The ones I've heard are A Fortune in lies, Ytse jam and Afterlife.

I'd love to hear Only a matter of time, and Light fuse would be pretty cool, although extremely unlikely.

The remaining three - no, thanks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
The ones I've heard are A Fortune in lies, Ytse jam and Afterlife.

Add The Killing Hand for me, and Matter in a medley. These two songs (in full) I wouldn't mind to hear again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
No need or desire whatsoever for them to acknowledge this with any live performance(s).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
I’ve never seen my personal favorite performed live... TOWHTSTS. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »
The Killing Hand is definitely the song I would like to hear the most. Even the most rarely played WDADU songs such as LFAGA or TOWHTSTS would definitely be nice to hear.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »

Very underrated song, the intro is amazing and works very well in a live setting :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »

Very underrated song, the intro is amazing and works very well in a live setting :metal

I've only seen it once, and it's a great song, so I'm down with them adding it.  I still want the 3 I've never seen.  But as far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be for the anniversary, I'd just like to get to hear them at some point.  Next year makes sense to do at least a couple.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
No more anniversary sets! 

But acknowledging the anniversary with a song or maybe even a small medley might be cool.  I've never seen them do Killing Hand live so I guess my vote would go for that one. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
Personally, I feel the standard "anniversary" thing has been played-out.

I don't need to hear <album> in its entirety and in order, especially if it has songs they play all the time or have played into the ground.  I'd much rather hear rarely-played songs or alternate versions or perhaps a mini encore of the <album> having the anniversary.

We just passed the 20th for Falling Into Infinity (Fall 2017) and didn't get even a tiny peep of it live.  Granted, maybe they didn't want to mess up The Astonishing and only did a small Images & Words 25th tour, and didn't have room.  But, considering how much of FII we haven't heard live AT ALL, I would really love for them to re-energize those unreleased tracks at some point.

If they are indeed waiting for the 25th anniversary of FII then that'd be fine as well, but there's just too much great stuff that (musically) was happening during that time.

TL;DR - No, not another full run-through of WDADU, please.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Personally, I think DT should just stop with anniversary anythings. Which they may be doing.

2019 - 30th anniversary for WDADU, 20th anniversary for SFAM, 10th anniversary for BCSL
2022 - 30th anniversary for I&W, 20th anniversary for 6DOIT
2023 - 20th anniversary for ToT, 10th anniversary for self titled.

etc. etc.

It's just silly at some point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
Like others have said, I don't see the point in doing anniversaries of too many albums.  I&W, Scenes and Awake are obvious classics and fan favorites, which is why they got anniversary nods on recent tours, but aside from 6DOIT possibly getting a nod in 2022 for its 20th anniversary, I don't see any other album that needs an anniversary celebrated in any way.  We are lucky to have gotten the 15-year anniversary for WDADU, and that was only because it was their first (not because it is a classic); be happy with that and do not expect anything else (and I like WDADU a lot).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
I agree that we don't need many more full album tours.  And doing an anniversary for each album every 5 years would be excessive. But I like the idea of acknowledging it with a handful of tracks (maybe even rotating, just a song or two).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »
I think they should throw in a couple of songs to celebrate. I'd love to Only A Matter Of Time and A Fortune In Lies

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »
I don't see a reason to acknowledge it personally. Only two of the current members even played on it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
I don't think that's really relevant.  A lot of bands would have to limit their setlist choices if they went by that.  Only 2 of the current Katatonia members played on anything prior to 2012.  That would mean they'd only have 2 albums to choose from.  Same with Angra, for that matter. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
Nah, I think it's totally relevant honestly. 30 year old album, not really adored by the fans at large, hasn't ever really been acknowledged a lot by the band except in special circumstances... I'd rather they just skip it and pack their already limited stage time with more fan favorites or lesser played favorites from more recent albums. Just my opinion :) But I also don't think they need to celebrate or acknowledge every album on a given anniversary. Since they already spent the Astonishing tour skipping their classics and hits and then did the IW&B tour I'd rather they just spent more time on the stronger material from later albums :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
Which is all fine and well that those are your preferences, but has nothing to do with how many members in the band played on the album. :)

I also don't think they need to do an anniversary for every album, especially since they'll have a new album out next year and will want to focus on that.  However, I would like to see them include a couple tracks - which is my preference. They've been good about throwing in rarely played tracks and The Killing Hand is one I've been wanting to hear for a long time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
Well yeah, but the very first question in the thread was asking whether or not they should acknowledge it, so I'm answering it. I do think the number of current members on said material does matter. It would be like Stratovarius playing something from their fourth album, when only their current vocalist was on it, or anything before that, when nobody was in the band. Or countless other examples I'm sure you prog fans know of :) Since DT has so many songs that are well over the 6 and 7 minute marks, too, that's just more time ate up, so I personally don't think they should waste time playing (imo) inferior, amateur (for DT) songs. Of course I don't think the band members argument applies to every band but in Dream Theater's case I think it's a relevant factor!

edit: okay I won't rain on the parade anymore.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:33:57 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
IMO, they should certainly acknowledge it in the set. Maybe do two songs, back-to-back, and rotate all the album songs in that two-song spot. No need to play the entirety of the album in the set. To be honest, I doubt there would be enough interest in it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
IMO, they should certainly acknowledge it in the set. Maybe do two songs, back-to-back, and rotate all the album songs in that two-song spot. No need to play the entirety of the album in the set. To be honest, I doubt there would be enough interest in it.

That’s what I meant with this thread. I’m pretty sure no one wants them to play WDADU in full for a whole tour, I just think they should add a couple songs to the set because it’s material that gets rarely played and some songs like TKH are amazing live.

The whole “anniversary tour playing x album” is just silly and I don’t really want to see them do it again.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
Yeah, I'd be cool with a couple songs in the set to tip the hat to the album, but nothing more than that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:48:09 AM »

The whole “anniversary tour playing x album” is just silly and I don’t really want to see them do it again.

It depends on the record, IMO. If you have a famous album with broad appeal, then I think it makes sense (like DT did with Images and Words). But outside of that (or perhaps SFAM), for DT I don't think it makes a lot of sense. None of their other records really struck a chord with a wide audience other than us (the hardcores).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »

Love that song!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j72Q0WiyoBc
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PetFish

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
 :metal
I think they should throw in a couple of songs to celebrate. I'd love to Only A Matter Of Time and A Fortune In Lies

/notsigned™

They've played these to death and we have so many official live versions already, same with Status Seeker, Ytsejam, and Afterlife, enough is enough.  I remember not caring much for Light Fuse and Get Away or even The Ones Who Help to Set The Sun, until I saw them live on the official bootleg, now they are sweet, and the LFaGA unisons are crazy so I'd much rather hear those or The Killing Hand.

That’s what I meant with this thread. I’m pretty sure no one wants them to play WDADU in full for a whole tour, I just think they should add a couple songs to the set because it’s material that gets rarely played and some songs like TKH are amazing live.

I think the best thing to do would be to put in one or two songs each show, but rotate them with others on whatever the album is that's having the anniversary, and then by the end you could put a live collection together to represent the full album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »
:metal

/notsigned™

They've played these to death and we have so many official live versions already, same with Status Seeker, Ytsejam, and Afterlife, enough is enough.  I remember not caring much for Light Fuse and Get Away or even The Ones Who Help to Set The Sun, until I saw them live on the official bootleg, now they are sweet, and the LFaGA unisons are crazy so I'd much rather hear those or The Killing Hand.

Although OaMoT appears on the Budokan release and WDADRU, it certainly hasn't been "played to death."  In the Labrie era, it was a regular on the several legs of the I&W tour but has only been played since then at 19 shows on the ToT tour in 2003 and 2004.  TOWHtStS is obviously more rare (only 11 performances since 1994 and only officially released on WDADRU).  TKH has been performed more frequently but also not since 2004.  LFaGA is, as far as I can tell, the least performed album track, having only been played four times in the Labrie era (twice in 1993 and twice in 2004).

One issue with some of these very old songs is whether JLB can sing them or come up with reasonable alterations of the vocals to fit his current abilities.  The "I'm in the valley" section of TKH would probably be pretty tough if he tried to do it the way he used to do it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:00 AM »
Didn't JP mention in an interview that OAMOT was originally in the setlist for the AFTR tour, but they dropped it to avoid making the show too long? I could see them bringing back that one and maybe TKH, which is one of the most popular songs on the album, but I think Status Seeker, LFAGA and (sadly) TOWHTSTS will most likely never be played again.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 02:54:07 AM »
I'd take You Not Me over The Ones. Sorry for those of you who like the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:19 AM »
Didn't JP mention in an interview that OAMOT was originally in the setlist for the AFTR tour, but they dropped it to avoid making the show too long? I could see them bringing back that one and maybe TKH, which is one of the most popular songs on the album, but I think Status Seeker, LFAGA and (sadly) TOWHTSTS will most likely never be played again.

I was lucky enough to see The Ones... in Philly when they were adding in random songs from WDADU on the ToT tour, but LFAGA and SS are two songs I absolutely must hear before they retire. You're right in that they're probably the most obscure and least likely candidates for inclusion in future setlists, but who knows.