Author Topic: Digging deeper into the 80's (pop and pop rock)  (Read 11659 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Digging deeper into the 80's (pop and pop rock)
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »
I second level 42! Great call.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
Okay, cool. I am likely to binge on XTC for a while now, but I have every intention on checking out plenty of the stuff being recommended here. :hat

XTC is a great choice! I would probably recommend starting with Skylarking - an album that has been compared to Pet Sounds and Abbey Road and I think it's their best. But they have several great albums so you can't really go that wrong. :)

Yep. There's a Beatles-esque quality and sensibility to almost all of XTC music.  To my ears, Andy Partridge was the Lennon to Colin Moulding's McCartney.

I'll also throw Psychedelic Furs into the mix of 80's bands.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:20:41 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
Kev, I like to throw into albums from a band that I really love. You should try Mr. Mister's Welcome To The Real World and their bold album after the huge commercial album, Go On...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
Kev, I like to throw into albums from a band that I really love. You should try Mr. Mister's Welcome To The Real World and their bold album after the huge commercial album, Go On.

I second this.  Both of those albums are great, but almost completely different from one another. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
Welcome To The Real World is a very good one, never heard Go On, should probably remedy that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »
I really really like Level 42, but only based on the first 5 1/2 albums. Those are some cool pop-funk records, my favorite is probably True Colours. The first two (Level 42 and The Early Tapes) have a lot of cool instrumental stuff and the bass is featured prominently. Standing In The Light and The Pursuit Of Accidents are also worth a listen. On World Machine only the first side is really good. From then on it's all downhill.

Ironically their biggest selling record (Running In The Family) is one I don't really like at all. They went full out pop on that one and lost the funk and that was what made them special imo.

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard a song by them other than Something About You, which is great, and features a killer bass line.

Okay, cool. I am likely to binge on XTC for a while now, but I have every intention on checking out plenty of the stuff being recommended here. :hat

XTC is a great choice! I would probably recommend starting with Skylarking - an album that has been compared to Pet Sounds and Abbey Road and I think it's their best. But they have several great albums so you can't really go that wrong. :)

Yep. There's a Beatles-esque quality and sensibility to almost all of XTC music.  To my ears, Andy Partridge was the Lennon to Colin Moulding's McCartney.

That is a bold statement.

I've checked out a little more XTC and I can tell this will be a very hit or miss band for me.  I love English Settlement, but Mummer seems a little spotty; some really good songs and some blah songs.  And I tried Drums and Wires, but that one annoyed the shit out of me and I gave up halfway through.  I think going for the later artier stuff is the way to go, rather than going backwards for the more punk stuff, since punk is not my bag.

Kev, I like to throw into albums from a band that I really love. You should try Mr. Mister's Welcome To The Real World and their bold album after the huge commercial album, Go On...

I actually tried that one a few months back and ended up with a few more songs to add to my collection (I have no problem buying individual songs from iTunes after checking the album out).  Broken Wings and Kyrie I already had (obviously), but I had forgotten about Is It Love, which I grabbed.  I also liked Black/White and Don't Slow Down enough to get those songs as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Try streaming Go On...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »
I'll add it to the pile. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »

OK, LV. Now you're just showing off. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »
The Cure is a weird band; the early stuff is hard to listen to, but I like the stuff around "Disintegration"; very lush, very much draws you into the mood.    Having said that, I got to see them live, and it was A-MAZING!   Over three hours, and even though I didn't know much of the set, it was absolutely mesmerizing.   Really good show. 
Totally agree with this. Never really checked out the stuff before Disintegration, and I couldn't get into the albums following Blood Flowers, but I love everything in between. And yes, seeing The Cure live is an amazing experience. Would love to see them again.

Honestly, all I know by Depeche Mode is Violator, which is really good, and a handful of their other hits.  I have always meant to check out more, but when it comes to synth pop, I always liked Pet Shop Boys more.  The Pet Shop Boys have a ton of good songs. 
DM's older stuff is much lighter and poppier, despite their use of unusual sounds in a lot of their music. After Violator, they went into a darker direction with more of a focus on guitars and real drums, altho they still use a lot of keyboards. So if you're more into poppy stuff, work your way backwards starting with Music for the Masses or their live album from that tour, 101, which is a great representation of their early catalog. If you like the darker sound, start with Songs of Faith and Devotion and work your way forward. If you were to listen to their whole catalog, you can definitely hear a progression of style, not unlike the way Rush's sound changed in an evolutionary way from album to album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »

:biggrin: My inner dork must be coming out. 

What are you doing in this thread?  Slow day at Official hard rock/classic metal memorabilia?    :lol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 07:25:00 AM »
Tim is like a high school bully of music.  Remember Tim, Buff, gets his from McFly :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

:biggrin: My inner dork must be coming out. 

What are you doing in this thread?  Slow day at Official hard rock/classic metal memorabilia?    :lol

Every time I see this thread updated, I see that some of my favorite posters are in here, yet I click to reply and no words come out.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
It's my favorite TAC in this thread. Muted TAC. :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »
In terms of 80’s rock bands, the band Europe are generally only known for that one song (we all know the one!). They actually have loads of awesome songs in their catalogue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
The Final Countdown wasn't even their biggest hit here in America; Carrie, from the same album, was.  Rock the Night, Cherokee and Superstitious were all minor hits as well.  MTV played the living crap out of all five of those videos, as well as Let the Good Times Rock and Open Your Heart (which I am surprised didn't chart well).  Out of This World is still a good disc from start to finish.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »
The Final Countdown wasn't even their biggest hit here in America; Carrie, from the same album, was.  Rock the Night, Cherokee and Superstitious were all minor hits as well.  MTV played the living crap out of all five of those videos, as well as Let the Good Times Rock and Open Your Heart (which I am surprised didn't chart well).  Out of This World is still a good disc from start to finish.

Technically, you're sort of partially right (Carrie hit 3 on the Billboard 100, and TFC hit 8 but TFC outranked C on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks list, 18 to 35), but my brother had the album back then, and to this day I couldn't sing you the chorus to any of those other songs, including Carrie.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
Somehow the Dork Thread turned into the Wuss Thread right before our very eyes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »

Technically, you're sort of partially right (Carrie hit 3 on the Billboard 100, and TFC hit 8 but TFC outranked C on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks list, 18 to 35), but my brother had the album back then, and to this day I couldn't sing you the chorus to any of those other songs, including Carrie.   

Stadler....I had your back on this one....until you said you couldn't sing the chorus to Carrie.   Are you kidding me right now?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »

Stadler....I had your back on this one....until you said you couldn't sing the chorus to Carrie.   Are you kidding me right now?

I mean, I probably could sing it, I have a pretty good voice, but I don't know it, so... no, not kidding you right now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »
Oh....if it's just a crappy voice thing, then that's forgivable.  I thought you were saying you couldn't even remember it.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
Oh....if it's just a crappy voice thing, then that's forgivable.  I thought you were saying you couldn't even remember it.  :rollin

No, no, I think you misunderstand; not only do I not remember it, I don't think I EVER knew it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
Da Fuk Stadler?

Can't you see it in my eyes.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
I think the issue I take is that some (no one here) love revisionist history, where a band like Europe is remembered for only one song and then get lumped into the one-hit wonder category, when they had a number of hits; it's just that only the one has remained in the mainstream.

Same thing has happened with Cutting Crew.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
I've been in love before Kev.

One for the mockingbird as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
Yep.

I don't think One for the Mockingbird made much of a dent, even though MTV played the video a lot (with bastards edited to doubters in the first verse), but I've Been in Love Before was a top 10 hit, IIRC.

I still like the whole album, Broadcast, a lot.  The opener, Any Colour, is a total kick ass rocker. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 09:10:48 PM »
 my favorite song on that album is "It Shouldn't Take Too Long".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
I like them all, but that is a good one. Life in a Dangerous Time is definitely a standout.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
I used to take 32 CDs with me to work all the time. I had a boombox and I worked unloading trailers and loading the product in an elevator up to the other floors. my CDs fell in between the battery and I didn't catch it and I ruining my original copy of that CD. I got a remaster of it and I hate that they have the single version of I Just Died In Your Arms and not the extended ending.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
That's weird. I didn't think that song was edited at all when it was a single. My version is 4:41.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »
Speaking of 80s pop/rock, Cutting Crew definitely belongs there, the first two records were stellar and the third had some good tracks as well.

Saw them live back in the day and they were killer. Their guitar player later played with Robert Plant on the Fate Of Nations record and tour. Sadly he died of cancer some years ago.

The band had two more records (2005 and 2015) but I've given them only casual listens and they couldn't drag me in.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 12:04:37 AM »
When I think of 80s pop, the first thing that comes to mind is Australia's "gift" to the Philippines: Air Supply. To this day, their 80s songs still play on the radio.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »
That's weird. I didn't think that song was edited at all when it was a single. My version is 4:41.

This is the original recording with the keyboard ending.  I was pisses the remaster had the single version.  It's like 8 seconds!!

https://youtu.be/Ss0tSqwtS1A

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 07:47:21 AM »
Somehow the Dork Thread turned into the Wuss Thread right before our very eyes.

And yet here you are.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion