Author Topic: Digging deeper into the 80's (pop and pop rock)  (Read 11845 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Digging deeper into the 80's (pop and pop rock)
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
Update:

I tackled Disintegration by The Cure a while back. I liked the first song a lot, and a few others were good, but as a whole, I got bored after a while. I might need something more accessible with them.

Can't remember if INXS was recommended by anyone in this thread, but I am digging into them a bit more now. Kick has been a longtime favorite of mine, and I've always known a few of their other hits, but not much else. Digging some of these songs I have never heard before. 

Also, INB4 Joe tells me he saw INXS x-number of times back in the day... :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
 :lol

Well STRIKE OUT! 

I never saw them live!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »
 :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
I tackled Disintegration by The Cure a while back. I liked the first song a lot, and a few others were good, but as a whole, I got bored after a while. I might need something more accessible with them.
Not really familiar with their pre-Disintegration catalog, but the following album, Wish, might be more your speed.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2019, 09:15:55 PM »

Not really familiar with their pre-Disintegration catalog, but the following album, Wish, might be more your speed.

I'll add it to the list (that is getting longer by the day :lol).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »

I'll add it to the list (that is getting longer by the day :lol).
Ya know, the more I think about it, I wonder if Wish would be a good choice given what you said. It's not as much doom-n-gloom as Disintegration, but there's still a good amount there. Since you said you're looking for more accessible songs and that you got bored, maybe Wild Mood Swings (which came after Wish) would be a better choice. The songs are shorter and there's a much wider variety of styles/sounds (hence the album title). That said, it's not the most highly favored album in the band's catalog by fans, but then again, The Cure's never been known as a "happy" band.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2019, 03:30:21 AM »
Some good 80-ties music already mentioned but still no one has mentioned Mr Mister (Broken Wings & Kyrie are the biggest hits).

Mr Mister was where Pat Mastellotto started his career. He is now one of the 3 King Crimson drummers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:18 AM »
Some good 80-ties music already mentioned but still no one has mentioned Mr Mister (Broken Wings & Kyrie are the biggest hits).

Mr Mister was where Pat Mastellotto started his career. He is now one of the 3 King Crimson drummers.

Saw them in concert on the WTTRW tour.

Hi Kev. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2019, 06:51:59 AM »
 :lol :lol

The real question is, what bands didn't you see in the 80's? :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2019, 06:54:28 AM »

Ya know, the more I think about it, I wonder if Wish would be a good choice given what you said. It's not as much doom-n-gloom as Disintegration, but there's still a good amount there. Since you said you're looking for more accessible songs and that you got bored, maybe Wild Mood Swings (which came after Wish) would be a better choice. The songs are shorter and there's a much wider variety of styles/sounds (hence the album title). That said, it's not the most highly favored album in the band's catalog by fans, but then again, The Cure's never been known as a "happy" band.

It'll probably be a while before I circle back around to them, but I will keep this in mind. :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but it does fit...

They dug deep; sure, the Cheap Trick hits are here, but there's also "Burn Me Up (I'm A Cigarette)" from WAY underrated solo album Daryl did with Robert Fripp, as well as my favorite Hall And Oates song, "Family Man".  Man can those two men still sing or what??

https://youtu.be/wsa3DUnWPPk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
I hear Family Man on my work intercom music all the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »
I'm not the hugest Daryl Hall and John Oates fan (if you watched the clip, you notice that Robin made a joke to that effect; during an interview with Dan Rather, Daryl made it a point to say that in his and John's mind, it's not a band called "Hall and Oates", it's a collaboration between two guys named "Daryl Hall" and "John Oates") but that is an ace song if you ask me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2020, 01:15:52 PM »
Update:

A lot of the early Simple Minds stuff looks like pretty highly-regarded, and it was recommended in this thread, but not much of it made a dent with me. I like a few songs from Sparkle in the Rain, but I am zoning out on everything else I heard.  Swing and a (mostly) miss. :(

I am not sure they were recommended in this thread, but I have heard some early New Order lately, which seems to be pretty good.  Power, Corruption & Lies has some really good songs, and the original version of the song Temptation is pretty rad (the more synth-heavy remake on Substance is also good, but the original seems better).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »
I couldn't name more than 3 New Order songs, but True Faith (a remixed version) and Blue Monday (2 remixed versions) have always been among the highlights and most listened to songs on my 80s dance playlist.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Kev, you ever listen to Cutting Crew?

Offline HOF

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
I’m here to plug The Blue Nile for your consideration. Hats is their synth-pop masterpiece, but the debut A Walk Across The Rooftops is a bit more experimental, has kind of a Peter Gabriel/Talking Heads vibe. Peter Gabriel was actually a big fan, and they are also a big influence on H era Marillion. Paul Buchanan is an amazing singer and songwriter that more people should definitely know.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2020, 03:22:00 PM »
I couldn't name more than 3 New Order songs, but True Faith (a remixed version) and Blue Monday (2 remixed versions) have always been among the highlights and most listened to songs on my 80s dance playlist.

I never thought a lot of Blue Monday, but I will have to give it a fresh listen in light of my new liking for some of their early material.

:lol, is that a serious question?  (considering we have discussed them in several threads on this forum including this one, as well as offline :P)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »
I'm old. I don't remember. lol. You have both their cd's?lol

Btw, you up for 1 hit wonders? Some albums are good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
I have The Broadcast. The second one I remember as not being very good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »

I have been working through the guitar parts on Died In Your Arms (all 4 of them) the last few days.  Not my normal style of song but it gets rather infectious - not quite as simple as it might sound from a guitar point of view and a very well constructed song.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot the 80s lingo - it's rad :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 03:46:30 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
Rad. Lol

The guitarist went on to play on Robert Plant's "Fate Of Nations" album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2020, 03:47:51 PM »
Rad. Lol

The guitarist went on to play on Robert Plant's "Fate Of Nations" album.

I only used that cos Kev did above and I thought it might be compulsory  :biggrin:

I didn't know he played with Plant but he certainly comes up with some very tasteful stuff.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »
Here is a band that I loved their debut album but slowly seemed to fizzle away.  The band is Frozen Ghost.

https://youtu.be/a50u6lcLsMY

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
The lead singer went on to become a big time producer.   This band came out of an older band Sherriff. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
The lead singer went on to become a big time producer.   This band came out of an older band Sherriff.

As did one of the classier AOR bands of the era - Alias

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
Rad. Lol

I only used that cos Kev did above and I thought it might be compulsory  :biggrin:

:hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »

As did one of the classier AOR bands of the era - Alias

💯

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »

I thought the second one was really good as well, it's the third one that was not very good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2020, 09:17:43 AM »

He was instrumental in the early years of Our Lady Peace.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
Here is a band that I loved their debut album but slowly seemed to fizzle away.  The band is Frozen Ghost.

https://youtu.be/a50u6lcLsMY

I remember this song.  Totally awesome!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2020, 07:01:06 PM »

I thought the second one was really good as well, it's the third one that was not very good.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I wish I would have, given how much I liked the first.  Considering how pop rock-ish it is, there are tasty guitar licks all over The Broadcast.