Author Topic: Postmodern Jukebox  (Read 942 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Postmodern Jukebox
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
I didn't find a thread for this band yet, which surprises me. I know they're not prog or metal, but they're pretty damn awesome. You should check their stuff out on YouTube. They put twists on modern songs and give it a jazzy or classic sound. Yes, as if it was something that would have been played in a jukebox. It was started by this guy Scott Bradlee. I think what he has put together is absolutely brilliant. He uses various female singers for the most part, like my girl Haley and one of my new favorite singers, Morgan James. He also used Puddles (America's Got Talent fame). The link below is the first song I ever heard by them, and is the song that got me hooked on Haley. It's a version of Creep that I feel just might eclipse the original.  The photo below is with Ariana Savalas, Haley Reinhart, and Morgan James doing All About That Bass. Scott Bradlee is generally the one playing the piano, though you can't always see him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Re: Postmodern Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 06:08:31 AM »
I love love LOVE Postmodern Jukebox. Bradlee's arrangements really give new life to the song and can turn an unlistenable song to an actually decent one, or make a good song even better. My favorite is probably his klezmer arrangement of "Talk Dirty", which is in that "making a bad song good" category. Plus the Yiddish rap is fantastic. I also really like the ones they've done with Haley Reinhart and Puddles, especially their cover of Creep which is 1000% better than the original.

Speaking of, if you dig PMJ, I'd recommend Robyn Adele Anderson. She's done a couple of songs with PMJ (like Talk Dirty), and does something similar on her channel. She focuses more on covering alternative rock songs from what I've seen.

And, one more, I'd also recommend Metaphump. They do jazz fusion/rap covers of metal songs. The rapping has been a somewhat contentious thing, but I dig it. They've got a lot of Snarky Puppy influence, and the fantastic Camille Bertault as one of their vocalists (she does the scat solo in the song linked). They don't have quite as many videos, unfortunately. :(

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 07:14:55 AM »
My friend showed me a few videos on youtube a while back. My favorite is still Mr. Brightside.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
I generally find them hit or miss depending on the song.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »
I love love LOVE Postmodern Jukebox. Bradlee's arrangements really give new life to the song and can turn an unlistenable song to an actually decent one, or make a good song even better. My favorite is probably his klezmer arrangement of "Talk Dirty", which is in that "making a bad song good" category. Plus the Yiddish rap is fantastic. I also really like the ones they've done with Haley Reinhart and Puddles, especially their cover of Creep which is 1000% better than the original.

Speaking of, if you dig PMJ, I'd recommend Robyn Adele Anderson. She's done a couple of songs with PMJ (like Talk Dirty), and does something similar on her channel. She focuses more on covering alternative rock songs from what I've seen.

And, one more, I'd also recommend Metaphump. They do jazz fusion/rap covers of metal songs. The rapping has been a somewhat contentious thing, but I dig it. They've got a lot of Snarky Puppy influence, and the fantastic Camille Bertault as one of their vocalists (she does the scat solo in the song linked). They don't have quite as many videos, unfortunately. :(

It's nice to see another big fan of theirs here. You're totally right on the Creep improvement. I still get chills when she hits some of those notes. She has such a soulful voice at times. Speaking of Haley, did you see her version of House of the Rising Sun when she was on American Idol. Damn... she should have won it that year. She finished in third place. Speaking of killer versions, what did you think of Morgan James' covers of the songs from Jeff Buckley's Grace album?

I love Robyn Adele. I forgot to mention her. I forget which song of hers that really kicked some ass. I'll have to look at my playlist.

I'll check out Metaphump. I've never heard of them.

I'm not sure where you live, but PMJ is doing a tour right now. They're going to be here in Staten Island next month. I'm hoping to go see it.

I generally find them hit or miss depending on the song.

They do have some misses, but I'm mostly pleased with what they've done.

My friend showed me a few videos on youtube a while back. My favorite is still Mr. Brightside.

Great one!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
I adore PMJ, just amazing all around. They're also my kid's favorite as well, even scored her tickets to their Radio City show two years ago for her bday.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
That must have been some show.

I just checked the tour calendar. I'm surprised the only show they're doing in the NY/NJ area is in Staten Island.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
I dig em. Considered going to see them a couple years back when they were in town, but tickets were more expensive than I thought they'd be, so I passed. Scott Bradlee really tapped into something with what he's doing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 05:35:50 AM »
I'm listening to their version of Gangsta's Paradise for the first time. Brilliant!