Author Topic: Best Chicken Dish  (Read 3689 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Best Chicken Dish
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
Friendly's is still a thing?  They closed all the ones by me years ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
I've never heard of Friendly's.  They don't have them here. 

I like lots of chicken dishes.  One of my favorite home recipes is a stuffed chicked breast.  The stuffing is sautéed yellow onion, calamatta olives, and sun dried tomatoes.  You then pocket the chicken breasts and stuff them.  Season with just salt and pepper, and maybe a bit of rosemary.  While it is baking, make a simple topping of soft goat cheese with chopped fresh mint.  When the chicken is done, put a dollop of the topping on, and it melts and oozes all over the chicken.  SO good!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
I have two Friendly's right by me.   We actually eat there maybe once a month (I'm a sucker for a small black raspberry milkshake for dessert). 

Also, Chick-fil-A, though the one by me stopped selling the chicken salad sandwich.  Bummer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
Chick-fil-A makes a great chicken sandwich IMO.

I used to love Friendly's ice cream sundaes, specifically the peanut butter one.  Their meals, I hardly remember.  We used to go a lot as kids though. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
Honestly, I've never really understood the draw for Chik-Fil-A.  They aren't bad.  But IMO, their sandwiches aren't any better than what you could get at any other fast food joint.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
Friendly's is still a thing?  They closed all the ones by me years ago.

Two of the three in my city went under a couple of years ago, but the remaining one has recently remodeled and is doing just fine. I actually really like going there. It's nothing special, but I think you get really good food for what you pay, and you can cap the night off with a good ice cream on your way out.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
Honestly, I've never really understood the draw for Chik-Fil-A.  They aren't bad.  But IMO, their sandwiches aren't any better than what you could get at any other fast food joint.

Nothing special but consistent.  And their teenage employees know how to tell you thank you and act like they appreciate you dropping by.  It's a quality organization top to bottom. 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »
Yes, the service is indeed very good.  And I appreciate that.  There are a few places I don't go because the service is subpar.  But for me, if the food doesn't stand out, the service is irrelevant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »

I'm a big fan.  I had the honor - and that's exactly what it was - of meeting C. Truett Cathy before he died (while at Emory) and I was deeply impressed.   I'm not naïve - I understand his position on certain issues was polarizing, and I don't share his beleifs - but he did some great things as a man, and his work on behalf of children that didn't have the same opportunities as you and I was more than commendable.   

Plus, where I am, of the big chains, they are the best chicken sandwich.  There may be local places that are better, but for $7.50, a sandwich, cross-cut fries and either some damn good lemonade or a hand-spun shake, you can't go wrong. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
Unlike Bosk, the last one I had actually was bad. It was far too tiny for a $4 sandwich, and it looked like it was thrown together by chimpanzees. McD's gives you a choice between a fully loaded Big Mac for $4, or a cheapo cheeseburger for a buck. CFA was selling the dollar burger version as the deluxe.

And FOH service doesn't matter of BOH service sucks. Personally, I'd rather have the unintelligible high-school dropout ring up my order and the conscientious egghead build my sandwich. Hell, they can call me names and throw fries at me as I walk out the door for all I care, as long as the food is properly prepared.

Last time I was driving across country I got a chicken sandwich from Arby's that really kicked the shit out of CFA.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
Unlike Bosk, the last one I had actually was bad. It was far too tiny for a $4 sandwich, and it looked like it was thrown together by chimpanzees. McD's gives you a choice between a fully loaded Big Mac for $4, or a cheapo cheeseburger for a buck. CFA was selling the dollar burger version as the deluxe.

And FOH service doesn't matter of BOH service sucks. Personally, I'd rather have the unintelligible high-school dropout ring up my order and the conscientious egghead build my sandwich. Hell, they can call me names and throw fries at me as I walk out the door for all I care, as long as the food is properly prepared.

Last time I was driving across country I got a chicken sandwich from Arby's that really kicked the shit out of CFA.

I won't compare CFA with burgers though; I'd take a 1/4LB-er, a Wendy's, a Duchess, or a Five Guys burger over CFA any day of the week and twice on Sunday (because CFA is closed on Sunday). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »
...and twice on Sunday (because CFA is closed on Sunday). 

:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »

I won't compare CFA with burgers though; I'd take a 1/4LB-er, a Wendy's, a Duchess, or a Five Guys burger over CFA any day of the week and twice on Sunday (because CFA is closed on Sunday).
I wasn't comparing CFA to a burger. I was suggesting that they're slinging out entry level sandwiches and charging premium sandwich prices.

This is the low-rent Jr. chicken sandwich from Arbys:

This is the deluxe from CFA:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
I'm willing to pay something around $1.75 for that CFA size of a chicken sandwich at Carl's Jr. and even that's pushing it and, at least, that comes with lettuce.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
I have never eaten at a CFA or a Carl’s.

Ate at Arby’s once. It blew.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
I don't really see how I can compare the chicken in any fast food vs. the chicken in chick-fil-a.  Their chicken is so much tastier and also juicier.  I think it's also healthier (not healthy) compared to most of the competition in fast food.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »
Um...CFA is fast food.  :lol  And how is it "healthier?"  It's a battered, deep-fried piece of chicken.  There's really not much difference, from a health aspect, from one place to another. 

But as far as tastier/juicier, I'll take the $.99 McChicken in both categories.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
Um...CFA is fast food.  :lol  And how is it "healthier?"  It's a battered, deep-fried piece of chicken.  There's really not much difference, from a health aspect, from one place to another. 

The McChicken is not even 99 cents anymore.  It's now at around $1.40, tax included.  I still pay it for that price, but I find no incentives to eat at McDonalds nowadays.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
Must depend on region.  They're $.99 here.  But even at $1.40, it's still cheaper than CFA.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
Must depend on region.  They're $.99 here.  But even at $1.40, it's still cheaper than CFA.
Yeah, but that's apples to oranges. Crappy thought they may be, at least CFA is selling chicken sandwiches. The McD thing is some kind of strange chicken-like monstrosity.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »

At about 440 calories, it's considered one of the healthiest (once again, not healthy as already stated) fast food chicken sandwiches.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/healthy-fast-food-which-fast-food-fried-chicken-sandwich-is-the-healthiest
https://www.eatthis.com/fast-food-chicken-sandwiches/

Also, the McChicken is still a dollar here, one of the last items at that price point.  But I do believe the pricing is regional. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
Look, I'm not a snob; I love me some Mickey D's, but the only way I will eat the $1.40 chicken sandwich is mashed together with a cheeseburger (I take off the bottom bun of both, slap the meat together to make one sandwich, and pound that). 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »
^^ Funny thing, I once mashed a McRib with a jalapeno double cheeseburger once after hearing a podcast about it and this monstrosity known as the McCoxnCrendor was made.  I never regret eating it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
So nice to see this thread has turned in to people sharing ways to consume multiple unhealthy foods in the most efficient way possible.

As long as we are talking about Dollar Menu chicken sandwiches, Jack in the Box called to say all these other fast food places can take their cheapie chicken sandwiches and suck it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »

I like lots of chicken dishes.  One of my favorite home recipes is a stuffed chicked breast.  The stuffing is sautéed yellow onion, calamatta olives, and sun dried tomatoes.  You then pocket the chicken breasts and stuff them.  Season with just salt and pepper, and maybe a bit of rosemary.  While it is baking, make a simple topping of soft goat cheese with chopped fresh mint.  When the chicken is done, put a dollop of the topping on, and it melts and oozes all over the chicken.  SO good!

Reminds me of another favorite chicken dish I overlooked. I stuff the chicken breasts with some homemade pesto sauce, wrap them in prosciutto, and then bake them. Once the chicken is done I make a pesto cream sauce that incorporates the pan drippings. So good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »
I don't mean to steer away from the fast food topic but I'm more of a cacciatore man myself. There's a lot of other runners up though as I'll eat chicken in all forms.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
As long as we are talking about Dollar Menu chicken sandwiches, Jack in the Box called to say all these other fast food places can take their cheapie chicken sandwiches and suck it.

True dat.  They used to have a DOUBLE chicken sandwich, I loved it!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »

Reminds me of another favorite chicken dish I overlooked. I stuff the chicken breasts with some homemade pesto sauce, wrap them in prosciutto, and then bake them. Once the chicken is done I make a pesto cream sauce that incorporates the pan drippings. So good.

I'm leaving about noon-ish.   Even with traffic I should be there around 5:30.  I'll bring the wine.  Red or white? 

:)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »

I'm leaving about noon-ish.   Even with traffic I should be there around 5:30.  I'll bring the wine.  Red or white? 

:)

Red please.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
Red with chicken?  :facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
Don't forget the candles.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »

I did a wine tasting on a cruise once, and so I get the idea of pairings (I always thought it was crap until that tasting; they put out specific foods and specific wines and it was eye-opening) but I often defy the "rules" on that and drink red like 90% of the time.   I'm far less picky with reds - give me any merlot, cab, or shiroz and I'll find some happiness - than I am with whites - don't like sweet, need a little dry, but not that dry, and don't care for sparkling; I basically want ginger ale with alcohol in it.   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:38 AM »
Hell, the chicken sounds good enough I'd be pretty happy to head up and chaperone the creepy fucks.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »

Yeah, I know white is the more traditional pairing, but I haven't found many whites that I really like.

Hell, the chicken sounds good enough I'd be pretty happy to head up and chaperone the creepy fucks.

DTF dinner party it is :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
I'll be different and say Chicken Paprika with dumplings. Old world Hungarian classic.
I make my grandma's classic recipe brought from Hungary.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi