Author Topic: Top 100 Prog Anthems per Loudersound (prev TEAM ROCK?)  (Read 1184 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Top 100 Prog Anthems per Loudersound (prev TEAM ROCK?)
« on: March 31, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »
Good list, although there's a few too many repeated artists, while many artists are barely if not represented at all.

But this is from PROG, so I'm not all that surprised to not see bands like Fates Warning or Pain of Salvation in there.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-100-greatest-prog-anthems-of-all-time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Top 100 Prog Anthems per Loudersound (prev TEAM ROCK?)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
The top ten is quite decent, but the list seems to focus way to much on the classic prog while barely acknowledging more modern acts. Missed chance there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
It seems whoever made that list only considers Symphonic Prog, Prog Metal and Neo-Prog as Prog. And like any top 100 list.. it sucks.  :P

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »
The top ten is quite decent, but the list seems to focus way to much on the classic prog while barely acknowledging more modern acts. Missed chance there.

Until that generation dies off and us young whippersnappers take over the scene, that will sadly continue to be the case. If you want modern prog lists, the Prog Report website has done Top 50 lists for both albums and songs released since 1990.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »
Yeah, way too many bands ignored in the process of celebrating half of Yes and Marillion's discography's. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much every band and song on that list, but to completely ignore a IQ is just criminal. Top ten is solid though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
To paraphrase Darth Vader: I find the lack of Octavarium disturbing.

Also, a lot of missing bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning, and Symphony X. And how can Cockroach King be on there but not Celestial Elixir?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »
I read the whole thing yesterday and I knew from the beginning that those 3 would be the top 3 :D

But weren't those songs voted somehow?

I also don't like the lack of some of the newer bands, but they mentioned Transatlantic, Haken and Big Big Train! But I enjoyed the comments a lot.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
They mentioned Transatlantic, but I don't recall seeing any Spock's Beard or Neal Morse solo stuff...

But yeah, there weren't many songs from the last decade or so on here. And number one was totally predictable.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 11:27:35 AM »
They mentioned Transatlantic, but I don't recall seeing any Spock's Beard or Neal Morse solo stuff...

But yeah, there weren't many songs from the last decade or so on here. And number one was totally deserved.

-Marc.

You're welcome

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
And (per the horse's mouth via Twitter) some are complaining on Facebook (what else do you expect from that cistern?) about too much modern prog on the list. *shoulder shrug*

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
I can only repeat my question, maybe someone knows:
Wasn't this list VOTED somehow? I read it somewhere in the article I think but can't remember where.
If it was voted, one can hardly complain.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 01:43:11 PM »

But yeah, there weren't many songs from the last decade or so on here. And number one was totally deserved.

-Marc.

You're welcome

LOL I never said it wasn't deserved, just that it was definitely going to be in the Top 5 or Top 3. When I kept seeing non-SR songs in the top 20 from Genesis, I knew it was going to be number one as I got closer to it.

Either way, yes, I agree, it is pretty great in the world of prog, so for many fans, it should be number one, but it by no means doesn't take away from the predictability of its placement.

And (per the horse's mouth via Twitter) some are complaining on Facebook (what else do you expect from that cistern?) about too much modern prog on the list. *shoulder shrug*

TOO MUCH modern prog? By memory, wasn't like at least 66% of the list all songs from before 1990? Aside from Haken, Transatlantic, Marillion, and a few others (like Frost* and The Flower Kings), there weren't a WHOLE lot of modern prog songs on there. Maybe if I have time later, I'll do a list-by-year for the 100 songs and see what the stats look like from there (unless someone else here wants to beat me to it).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »
Ah, all the lists. All the clickbait. Reminds me of when I was a reporter. On average, myself and the other writers in the newsroom probably did 30, 35 stories annually based on lists. Throwaway pieces that are easily done without much thought as filler to put out "original" content, and sadly, were among the most popular among those reading the website. The more in-depth stuff was the least read, because it had all become about clickbait. I quickly exited the profession after a few years of that BS.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
As with any top 100 songs, some are missing, some shouldn't be there and yes, way too much classic prog. Top 10 is ok.

Also, a lot of missing bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning, and Symphony X. And how can Cockroach King be on there but not Celestial Elixir?

Symphony X, lol, they weren't doing the bottom 100 prog list  :P

I do agree that Celestial Elixir is miles better than cockroach king but lots of people love that song so I don't know...

The Light was in there, and they had 2 transatlantic songs.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »
As with any top 100 songs, some are missing, some shouldn't be there and yes, way too much classic prog. Top 10 is ok.

Symphony X, lol, they weren't doing the bottom 100 prog list  :P

I do agree that Celestial Elixir is miles better than cockroach king but lots of people love that song so I don't know...

The Light was in there, and they had 2 transatlantic songs.

I don't think that's fair, SX have written a lot of great songs, and I would have included The Odyssey on the list.