Poll

Which band was more influential on Dream Theater: Rush or Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?

Rush
83 (92.2%)
Black Sabbath
0 (0%)
Iron Maiden
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: Which band was more influential on Dream Theater: Rush or Sabbath or Maiden?  (Read 4552 times)

Offline WildRanger

In your opinion which one between these 3 bands and why?

Offline DTA

I don’t think any member has ever mentioned Sabbath as being an influence. Rush, Metallica, Yes, Maiden, and Marillion seem to cover it.

Offline ChuckSteak

The only objective answer to this question would be the one from the band itself.   :laugh:

Offline MirrorMask

I don’t think any member has ever mentioned Sabbath as being an influence. Rush, Metallica, Yes, Maiden, and Marillion seem to cover it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Okay, it's like, if Rush and Metallica had a baby together, and Iron Maiden and Marillion had a baby together, and by some miracle those two babies met, and had their own baby together, that baby is Dream Theater.

... I chose Rush.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ChuckSteak

Okay, it's like, if Rush and Metallica had a baby together, and Iron Maiden and Marillion had a baby together, and by some miracle those two babies met, and had their own baby together, that baby is Dream Theater.

... I chose Rush.
Pineapple Express.  ;D

Offline jammindude

There needs to be an Earth, Wind and Fire option
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

Let's not Rush to any conclusions ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

... I chose Rush.
Pineapple Express.  ;D

I love that movie so much.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ChuckSteak

... I chose Rush.
Pineapple Express.  ;D

I love that movie so much.  :lol
"This is the product of baby fucking."  :lol

I love that movie too.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
I'd say Rush because they were the common early influence of Petrucci, Myung, & Portnoy. I think Petrucci and Myung got into Maiden after they met Portnoy. When Day & Dream Unite is much more Rush-like than Maiden.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline WildRanger

Now I see why on this board Rush is more beloved band than Black Sabbath, in fact the most beloved band after DT.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sons of Apollo
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Majesty
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

Now I see why on this board Rush is more beloved band than Black Sabbath, in fact the most beloved band after DT.

Yes, and?  I didn't care much about Black Sabbath.  Didn't care much when I heard that they were calling it quits as a touring band and didn't feel much when they played their final show in Birmingham, last year.

When Rush played their final show at the Forum in Inglewood (probably going to be my biggest regret, not seeing that particular show or the show before in Irvine, but I was a broke college kid back then) back in 2015 and I saw that picture of Neil arms around in front with Geddy and Alex at the end of the show (and we know he never does that at all), man, that one hit me hard to think that this is actually going to be it for them as a band.

Anyway, I don't think I ever really hear from DT any mentions as Sabbath as a primary influence.  Rush, Maiden, Yes, Metallica.  Definitely.  Sabbath?  Not so much.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:59:00 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Anyway, I don't think I ever really hear from DT any mentions as Sabbath as a primary influence.  Rush, Maiden, Yes, Metallica.  Definitely.  Sabbath?  Not so much.

Yeah Sabbath was an odd choice for the poll.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
There's an WWRD meme, but no WWIMD meme. So, Rush it is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Peter Mc

I'd say Rush because they were the common early influence of Petrucci, Myung, & Portnoy. I think Petrucci and Myung got into Maiden after they met Portnoy. When Day & Dream Unite is much more Rush-like than Maiden.

I'm sure I read that Myung used to practice bass to a sped up version of the Number Of The Beast album in his youth.  I think the Metallica influence was brought in by Portnoy though.  I wouldn't argue with Rush being the main influence with the long songs, weird time signatures and technical playing, Maiden definitely an influence though in terms of the melodic and vocal style and then there is a thrash influence from Metallica and Megadeth in particular.  I always describe them as Rush meets Maiden meets Metallica.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I think the Metallica influence was brought in by Portnoy though. 

Both Johns were huge into Metallica as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

For sure, JP often talks about how James Hetfield influenced his playing along with guys like Steve Morse and Alex Lifeson.

Offline gzarruk

For sure, JP often talks about how James Hetfield influenced his playing along with guys like Steve Morse and Alex Lifeson.

Yes, when JP talks about his rhythm guitar parts/sounds, he always mentions classic Metallica albums like MOP as big influences.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

Again, and this is purely from my increasingly unreliable memory, I seem to remember JP saying that, prior to meeting Mike Portnoy at college, they’d never listened to Metallica. That’s not to say that they didn’t subsequently become big fans and it has not influenced his playing but I have always understood that Portnoy introduced the two Johns to the world of thrash metal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I'm sure I read that Myung used to practice bass to a sped up version of the Number Of The Beast album in his youth.  I think the Metallica influence was brought in by Portnoy though.  I wouldn't argue with Rush being the main influence with the long songs, weird time signatures and technical playing, Maiden definitely an influence though in terms of the melodic and vocal style and then there is a thrash influence from Metallica and Megadeth in particular.  I always describe them as Rush meets Maiden meets Metallica.

Even though Dream Theater doesn't really sound like them, I think Yes is the main influence when it comes to their super proggy elements. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Again, and this is purely from my increasingly unreliable memory, I seem to remember JP saying that, prior to meeting Mike Portnoy at college, they’d never listened to Metallica. That’s not to say that they didn’t subsequently become big fans and it has not influenced his playing but I have always understood that Portnoy introduced the two Johns to the world of thrash metal.

Yes. In the 20th Anniversary Documentary Petrucci said, "Even Metallica. I remember him turning me on to Master of Puppets."

Anyone know which bands were the main early influence on Moore?

Offline Setlist Scotty

Early on (while they were in Berklee), the two bands that they had in common were Rush and Iron Maiden. So those two bands had the strongest influence early on. However, over time, and especially once MP left, JP's mantra of WWRD has been followed often. (I just wish he'd use that mantra regarding rotating Evening With setlists and click tracks in a live setting)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Early on (while they were in Berklee), the two bands that they had in common were Rush and Iron Maiden. So those two bands had the strongest influence early on. However, over time, and especially once MP left, JP's mantra of WWRD has been followed often. (I just wish he'd use that mantra regarding rotating Evening With setlists and click tracks in a live setting)

What's WWRD?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What Would Rush Do?

Offline ChuckSteak

Whirlwind With Random Dogs?  :hat

Offline MirrorMask

Next tour they're gonna resume the cover albums tradition, and play Transatlantic's The Whirlwind in full and Raw Dog as encore  :o
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

Next tour they're gonna resume the cover albums tradition, and play Transatlantic's The Whirlwind in full and Raw Dog as encore  :o

With special guests: The Winery Dogs

Offline ChuckSteak

With special guests: The Winery Dogs
And I will be like: shut up and take my money!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
What Would Rush Do?

That was my guess but the part about Petrucci & WWRD threw me off. Other than The Looking Glass, I don't see him trying to emulate Rush all that much.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
What Would Rush Do?

That was my guess but the part about Petrucci & WWRD threw me off. Other than The Looking Glass, I don't see him trying to emulate Rush all that much.

Agreed.  Especially not lately.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
What Would Rush Do?

I wouldn't say "emulate" is the right word.  But a heavy Rush influence has been present from the band's inception.  I think it just varies in terms of how obvious it is.  I hear a LOT of Rush on WDADU.  And I don't think various fans making Rush connections on various albums on throughout the entire timeline is a coincidence.  To me, after WDADU, it was pretty subtle until recently.  I hear it a lot on DT12, most prominently on The Looking Glass, as you mentioned, and Surrender To Reason.  And of course, TA draws inspiration from 2112.  So lots of Rush on the last two albums. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
There were also non-musical WWRD moments. When Rush started doing funny animated shorts about themselves, DT quickly followed suit. JM playing the Moog Taurus is probably another one.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."