Author Topic: Does anyone else find Pull Me Under boring?  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Does anyone else find Pull Me Under boring?
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
Agree with the consensus that it's not boring, but it has been overplayed, which is why I don't listen to it often. Not a super big fan of it live, but I do love the sound of the album version.

I've always found it kind of boring (least favorite on that album) but I have to say considering how it jump started the band's career it really hasn't been played live as much as it could have been over the years.
And we can thank MP for setting the band in a trajectory so that they never had any perennial favorites that they had to play at every show!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
Agree with the consensus that it's not boring, but it has been overplayed, which is why I don't listen to it often. Not a super big fan of it live, but I do love the sound of the album version.

I've always found it kind of boring (least favorite on that album) but I have to say considering how it jump started the band's career it really hasn't been played live as much as it could have been over the years.
And we can thank MP for setting the band in a trajectory so that they never had any perennial favorites that they had to play at every show!

Absolutely!  Dream Theater is in a great position as far as that goes.  There is nothing that they must play, and it makes for more options and a more exciting show. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
The most boring DT song to me is Repentance. It's unique, but incredibly boring. I usually skip that track when listening to Systematic Chaos, unless I'm too lazy to get up out of the chair to go hit the skip button.  The rest of the album is brilliant!
Btw, there's nothing boring about PMU..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
Agreed on Repentance.  However, JP's solo does make it a little less boring.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
The solo is the only saving grace,  the jazzy piano chords are kind of cool but the song just falls flat into a snoozefest. :natalieportman:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
Repentance is the best song on the album.

BOOM!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »

BOOM!
:flame:

Online Adami

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »

BOOM!

Beginning to end. Not a second of it is boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »

BOOM!

Beginning to end. Not a second of it is boring.
I guess I need to listen to it through different ears, these Dumbo ears just aren't working..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
Repentance would be better if it wasn't ten freaking minutes... Then again I also unironically like Prophets of War.

There was time to make a change
Repentance is such a bore
'cause they made it way too long
Getting through it is a chooooore
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 06:12:46 PM »

Absolutely.

I think it's pretty unique for a band being around as long as they have and not really have any songs that they might feel obligated that they had to play every night. Even Rush felt they couldn't escape playing about a half-dozen songs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »

BOOM!

One of them anyway. Along with Constant Motion and Prophets Of War. Those are the only three that doing anything for me on that album.

Online Adami

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »

BOOM!

One of them anyway. Along with Constant Motion and Prophets Of War. Those are the only three that doing anything for me on that album.

I have come to actually really appreciate Prophets. This is also one of my least favorite DT albums. Besides Repentance, which is one of DT's best songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
No love for ITPOE? It’s probably their darkest/heaviest/most technical epic ever :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
No love for ITPOE? It’s probably their darkest/heaviest/most technical epic ever :metal

It has a few cool moments, but if I never heard it again I'd be okay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
Repentance would be better if it wasn't ten freaking minutes... Then again I also unironically like Prophets of War.

Repentance is such a bore
'cause they made it way too long
Getting through it is a chooooore
:rollin

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
I enjoyed Repentance much more when Mikael Akerfeldt sang it. His voice fits the song better.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »

It’s one of my favorites ;D

I enjoyed Repentance much more when Mikael Akerfeldt sang it. His voice fits the song better.

I think it’s because the song has an Opeth vibe in some way. Mikael’s version sounds so good because of that. Anyway, I’ll take any version over the one with MP singing lead ???
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

It’s one of my favorites ;D

I think it’s because the song has an Opeth vibe in some way. Mikael’s version sounds so good because of that. Anyway, I’ll take any version over the one with MP singing lead ???

No doubt.  That was one of the most uncomfortable and cringe worthy moments I've ever seen at a live show.

I like Repentance, and I prefer James' vocals to Mikael's, but I've never been a huge fan of MA's vocals anyway.

As for ITPOE, I hate the dark master stuff, but like the song itself.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
Ok, how did this thread turn into SC?  :lol Back on topic.  I listened to PMU yesterday and still love it.  However, I also listened to LTL.  I suppose someone could say that PMU is boring compared to LTL and that is somewhat understandable, but I wouldn't put it that way.  LTL is just light years better that's all.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
If you can, go six-to-twelve months without listening to PMU. Then blare it while you're at the gym or something. I did that last year and was blown away by how great a song it is. It's just overplayed. If you give it a break, you'll probably really enjoy it once you come back!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
Done that several times over.  :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
Besides being overplayed, I think the problem with PMU is that it isn't as good as many other DT "singles", so it falls short in comparison, but it isn't boring or bad, just less interesting than others.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
Besides being overplayed, I think the problem with PMU is that it isn't as good as many other DT "singles", so it falls short in comparison, but it isn't boring or bad, just less interesting than others.
Hmm....not sure what you mean by putting singles in quote marks, but when looking at the list of promo singles that DT has released, I'll take PMU over more than half of them any day of the week. Of course that is just my opinion, but I doubt I'm alone.

Status Seeker
Afterlife
Take the Time
Another Day
Lie
Caught in a Web
The Silent Man
Burning My Soul
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Home
Through Her Eyes
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Solitary Shell
The Test That Stumped Them All
As I Am
The Root of All Evil
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Wither
On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up Break Me Down
The Enemy Inside
Along for the Ride
The Looking Glass
The Gift of Music
Moment of Betrayal
Our New World
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
PMU is kind of like Dream Theater's Tom Sawyer. The song that got the most airplay, and the song that fair weather fans are familiar with..

Offline metrojam

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
Not boring and not overplayed i.m.o. Probably the most important song in the history of DT so just don't get why so many people are so "lukewarm" to it. Now, if you're looking for a boring DT song, then there are about 25 to choose from and all are on TA!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
The nice thing about Pull Me Under is, for me, that it had the success it had while still being a Dream Theater song. Imagine an alternate world where You Not Me became ultra famous.... a short song written with Desmond Child, the hitmaker of hard rock. An "easy win" so to say. But Pull Me Under lasts 8 minutes. It has a long intro. It has subtle variations here and there in the verses. It has a solo which is not shortened or missing at all. Still it was catchy enough to appeal also to a broader audience. It wasn't even a ballad like Nothing Else Matters or More than Words, that condemned Extreme to be talked about as "Those who wrote More than words".  It happened at the right time, sure, but it was actually a song constructed well enough to interest more people.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
I listen to the warped version whenever I get tired of the studio
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2018, 12:39:35 AM »
Hmm....not sure what you mean by putting singles in quote marks, but when looking at the list of promo singles that DT has released, I'll take PMU over more than half of them any day of the week. Of course that is just my opinion, but I doubt I'm alone.

Status Seeker
Afterlife
Take the Time
Another Day
Lie
Caught in a Web
The Silent Man
Burning My Soul
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Home
Through Her Eyes
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Solitary Shell
The Test That Stumped Them All
As I Am
The Root of All Evil
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Wither
On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up Break Me Down
The Enemy Inside
Along for the Ride
The Looking Glass
The Gift of Music
Moment of Betrayal
Our New World

Wow lots of singles. This shouldn't be surprising to me but as a fan who never heard a DT song on the radio or saw a video on TV...it's surprising to me.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
I used to feel that way, but compared to............ On the Backs of Angels, it couldn't be any less boring.