Author Topic: Does anyone else find Pull Me Under boring?  (Read 5761 times)

Offline npiazza91

Does anyone else find Pull Me Under boring?
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:46:04 PM »
To be honest, it's one of my least favorite off the album.  I listen to Pull Me Under, then Another Day just rocks my socks off.  The amount of music, soul and emotion in Another Day just moves me every which way.  The way the intruments play off each other, and sometimes do their own thing, it's absolutely amazing.  Then Labrie's voice is just truly on another level, that is one of his best vocal performances of any DT song.  Another Day would definitely make my top 50 (maybe like in the 30's I'd guess), but Pull Me Under wouldn't even make my top 50.  Pull Me Under is just generic to me, and it's one of the reasons why I think Images and Words is overrated.  It's 8 and a half minutes of boredom to me.  The main riff is nice, but it never really deviates, it never strays from that basic formula.  Labrie's singing is nice as always, but it's sooooo slowwwwww.  I feel like the chorus takes an hour, and while the verses are neat, it's just not heavy enough to give off that "heavy chugging riff" impression, so it kind of just falls into the "meh" background.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but Pull Me Under just bores me. 

Online MirrorMask

Re: Does anyone else find Pull Me Under boring?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 01:02:04 AM »
Short answer: no.

There's only so many gazillion times you can hear this and any other song before eventually growing out of the "wow" factor, but the song IS great, and it was well deserving of some more mainstream recognition back in the day.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:02:00 AM »
No. It's a great way to start I&W : concise, great playing, great singing, it encapsulates for me DT in a nutshell.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:21:11 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 03:07:08 AM »
It's kind of trendy for hardcore fans to bash a bands most popular song, but really Pull Me Under has always been excellent.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 04:11:32 AM »
No, but I played it so many times that I got tired of it. I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 04:30:34 AM »

There's only so many gazillion times you can hear this and any other song before eventually growing out of the "wow" factor, but the song IS great, and it was well deserving of some more mainstream recognition back in the day.
:tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »
I think the song is great, but it's also my least favorite off the album. I think I even like On The Backs Of Angels better. That being said, it rocks as hell when played live.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »

Technically, or logically speaking, this is answer is incorrect :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 06:30:59 AM »
I agree to a degree. It does plod a little, but it is very well structured. I like 5 of the other songs better.

Offline DTA

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
I don't think it's boring but I've heard it so many times that it's virtually unlistenable to me at this point. I'm sure if I wait a few years I'll enjoy it again. I listened to the demo version a little bit ago (Oliver's Twist) and was amazed at how silly the original version was with the Erotomania parts...great editing decision by the band (or Prater?) to remove that.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
Nope. It's alright. It's fantastic as an album opener. But it's not boring. No DT song is boring to me.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:34 AM »
Well, yes and no. It's a really good song, but if you ask me it has a bit of padding and fat on it that really bring the quality of the song down aways. You can easily cut off about 2-3 minutes of the song and make it that much stronger. There's a lot of repetition with little to no variation that imo doesn't really serve the song. Basically, it feels like a really killer 4-6 minute song trapped in a 8 minute long song's body.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
I don't think it's boring, but it's been played so much for 25 years that people can get tired of it. I feel the same way with songs like TSCO or AIA. They're great tunes, but they've been played so much that I'd rather listen to other DT songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »
Definitely not boring, but overpayed. A huge part of the reason Score is my favorite live DT release is because PMU isn't on it. 😂
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »
Heard it a lot but it still rocks.  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
I don't necessarily find it boring. It's just that I first heard it when it came out 26 years ago, so I've heard it so many times, and I feel that album is filled with mostly better songs. I could probably say the only song that I like less than PMU on Images and Words is Wait For Sleep. Maybe Another Day, too, but that's an uncertainty.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 10:28:07 PM »
My DT history isn't as long as many other fans. I never heard Pull Me Under on the radio or saw the video on MTV so it never got "played out" in that sense.

I got into the band in 2001 and Images and Words was the first album I bought. Didn't even hear any of the songs before buying the album. I liked Pull Me Under right away. The heavy riff is just badass and the section before LaBrie starts singing and then that ascending guitar thing while he's singing is just fucking cool. Cool guitar part right before the nice sing-along chorus. Probably my third favorite song after Metropolis & Learning To Live. That being said, I can definitely see how others may think it's boring compared to other songs on the album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
It's not boring, if You're looking for boring DT song I could find one, only. Stream Of Consciousness. :)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
It's not boring, if You're looking for boring DT song I could find one, only. Stream Of Consciousness. :)
Please, die.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
I think it's pretty boring, easily my least favorite on the album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »

This is basically how I feel, but it's certainly not my favorite song on the album.  I first heard the song on the radio (probably KNAC 105.5 FM in southern California) in the second half of 1992.  I was blown away.  I bought I&W as soon as I could and was blown away that there were a bunch of songs that I liked better (e.g., Metropolis, LTL, TtT and Surrounded).  I've never really liked UAGM, and Another Day quickly lost its initial luster.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DT2003

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »
I love it. That song brings back great memories for me as this was the song that introduced me to DT 25 years ago. It blew my mind back then, and once I bought the album shortly after that it opened my eyes to prog metal and that’s been my favorite genre ever since then. I still love the song although I will admit there are other songs I’d prefer to see live over that one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 07:41:53 PM »
I've always found it kind of boring (least favorite on that album) but I have to say considering how it jump started the band's career it really hasn't been played live as much as it could have been over the years.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »
Please, die.

I'll help you bury the body.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 02:33:23 AM »
Short answer: yes

Less-long answer: I wish it stayed on the demo
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 03:23:13 AM »
Not boring, no, but it is a pretty average DT song and one of the weakest tracks on what is otherwise a pretty stellar album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
Please, die.

And I’ll say you were with me when the cops come calling..  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
Pull Me Under rules. Crank the volume to 11 when James enters. Makes me want to RAAAAAWK  :metal  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
Like others have said - it's a great song. At this point it's been over played, so I'd rather them give it a break on the next tour, but that doesn't take away from what a good song it is.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »
Never.  It's the first Dream Theater song that I had ever heard, and I would much rather hear that than a song like Surrounded from the same album.  Pull Me Under is heavy, catchy, and has everything I love about the band wrapped up in one song.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
I never find it boring, and like it just the way it is.  I don't rank songs or albums, and usually listen to a whole album at a time when possible, but I know I have listened to PMU more than any other DT song (Partially because of Guitar Hero World Tour)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
I like PMU, I don't find it boring, but I do think it is one of the weaker tracks on I&W.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
It actually took me a long time to "get" this song. It was one of my least favorite DT tracks overall until I heard an unexpectedly awesome cover of it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »
Please, die.

And I’ll say you were with me when the cops come calling..  :lol

Isn't it fascinating how we can all bond over the slight distaste for one song?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
The first DT song I heard.  The song that turned me on to DT.  DT's greatest hit.  A song that's stood the test of time.  Boring isn't even remotely near that equation.

Less interesting than some other DT songs?  Probably, but definitely not boring.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White