Author Topic: Buddy Rich is objectively a better drummer than Neil Peart?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Buddy Rich is objectively a better drummer than Neil Peart?
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
There is no standard. Your "standard" will probably be completely different to mine, and my "standard" will be completely different to the next person's. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves. It sounds blunt and harsh, but that's the truth.

If the question was something like "Do you prefer Buddy Rich to Neil Peart?", then we'd be having a totally different discussion rather than going on these tangents about objectivity vs subjectivity and the like.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Buddy Rich is objectively a better drummer than Neil Peart?
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »
I don't disagree with that at all; but if you're going to claim something is "objective" it ought to be measurable.   

"Back In Black" is a better album than "For Those About To Rock"...

... based on album sales and number of songs in the setlist from that point forward? OBJECTIVE.
... because one person, in this case, me, listens to BiB more often?  OBJECTIVE.  (Someone can, if they wanted, count the number of times I've listened to it)
... because I like it better?  SUBJECTIVE.   

You'll note that the best critics (in the classic sense of the word) will almost NEVER base their conclusions on "I like it!" but will almost always give a context to any conclusion they draw.