Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 478718 times)

Online nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #10570 on: August 05, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »

I'm enjoying the White Moth Black Butterfly album more and more. Great sound, great songs. A lot of it could have significant mainstream success, if given the exposure - not that it matters, I'm just saying it's incredibly well crafted.

Emma Ruth Rundle's  Some Heavy Ocean is my first taste of her solo music. I guess she's considered a hip listen by people "in the know"  ;D I actually enjoyed this. Not something I would go for all the time, but quite fascinating. The mood is not too dissimilar from Chelsea Wolfe, except less "industrial" and more folksy...? I'll be exploring more...

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #10571 on: August 05, 2021, 01:15:02 PM »
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Such a great album. A Design for Life might be one of my all time favorite songs.

This week so far:
Amenra - De Doorn
Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear
Year of No Light - Consolamentum
Mastodon - The Hunter
Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Oceans of Slumber - Oceans of Slumber

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10572 on: August 05, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »

Man, I really love Ihsahn's solo work but after three years this album still does absolutely nothing for me. It's easily his weakest imo. He clearly blew his creative load with Arktis!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #10573 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
Man, I really love Ihsahn's solo work but after three years this album still does absolutely nothing for me. It's easily his weakest imo. He clearly blew his creative load with Arktis!

Amr was real disappointing, yeah. But the EPs were a huge step back in the right direction, especially Telemark.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10574 on: August 05, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »

Amr was real disappointing, yeah. But the EPs were a huge step back in the right direction, especially Telemark.

Couldn't agree more

Online nick_z

« Reply #10575 on: August 05, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

A couple of semi-random DT listening sessions...this reminded me of how much I like These Walls and I Walk Beside You from Octavarium...and how I do NOT enjoy The Answer Lies Within and Never Enough.

Listening to Zoon byThe Nefilim was inspired by the 1988 thread and TAC's post on The Fields of the Nephilim. Highly recommended - this is a heavier, sort-of industrial version the original band. A one-off project from Carl McCoy, check out songs like Shine, Penetration, Melt and Venus Decomposing, where the gothic-dark side and the heavier side co-exist beautifully.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10576 on: August 05, 2021, 06:05:42 PM »

A couple of semi-random DT listening sessions...this reminded me of how much I like These Walls and I Walk Beside You from Octavarium...and how I do NOT enjoy The Answer Lies Within and Never Enough.

Hah! I listened to both of these albums at work today! It was a Dream Theater day. You mentioned TW and IWBY and I have to say that those songs are fucking....pleasant! So easy on the ears. I love Never Enough though, but TALW is pretty weak.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #10577 on: August 05, 2021, 06:19:57 PM »

Hah! I listened to both of these albums at work today! It was a Dream Theater day. You mentioned TW and IWBY and I have to say that those songs are fucking....pleasant! So easy on the ears. I love Never Enough though, but TALW is pretty weak.

Yes, IWBY is such a good Dream-Theaterized U2 song  ;D This is a case where the obvious influence doesn't bother me too much, as there is enough of a personal stamp on it. These Walls has always been a favorite of mine - the riff, the chorus, the vocal and guitar melodies...everything works. Never Enough, well, never did it for me - I always found the chorus melody and construction pretty awkward. The main riff is cool, though (despite not being the most original bit of music, as we all know  ;))

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10578 on: August 05, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
I think James is amazing in the chorus of NE.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10579 on: August 05, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10580 on: August 05, 2021, 07:16:18 PM »

What did you think of this? I found it to be a pretty solid slab of thrash metal. Some Overkill and Exodus influence in there...and the vocals are definitely above average in the genre...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10581 on: August 05, 2021, 07:21:19 PM »

What did you think of this? I found it to be a pretty solid slab of thrash metal. Some Overkill and Exodus influence in there...and the vocals are definitely above average in the genre...

It's scheduled up next after the Lost Domain which I'm currently half way through.  Will post what I think as soon as I listen mate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10582 on: August 05, 2021, 08:33:56 PM »
Yeah, this Space Chaser is pretty damn good.  Not much variety, but got what I expected.  Great vocals! Dude has a Dickinson tone to his voice and yeah as you said Nick, above average for the genre.  The band is tight and the rhythm guitars especially are tight as a drum.  Nice listen.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10583 on: August 06, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »
Yes, there's definitely a Dickinson tone in there, mixed in with a more melodic Blitz Ellsworth. And I agree, they ARE tight.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #10584 on: August 06, 2021, 06:43:19 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10585 on: August 06, 2021, 06:50:15 AM »
Tenacious D - The Pick Of Destiny

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10586 on: August 06, 2021, 08:31:42 AM »
Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time

Motley Crue- Dr. Feelgood

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10587 on: August 06, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
Van Halen- 1984

AC/DC- Flick of the Switch

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #10588 on: August 06, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10589 on: August 06, 2021, 10:59:37 AM »
Kiss- Animalize, Asylum

Offline romdrums

« Reply #10590 on: August 06, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
Today's playlist so far:

Akord: Aether Reality
BTBAM: Coma Ecliptic
The Comet is Coming: Trust in the Life Force of the Deep Mystery
Dream Theater: SDOIT
Elsyne: Elsyne
The Faint: Wet From Birth
God is an Astronaut: Helios/Erebus
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #10591 on: August 06, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »

Online nick_z

« Reply #10592 on: August 06, 2021, 02:28:31 PM »

Some great prog and some sad metal for the day  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10593 on: August 06, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »

I saw DT 6 days later in Boston. Becoming a fan of DT during this time was magical. Opening the shows with Metropolis was so bad ass. I haven't listened to this in a long time, but I loved it.

A guy at work audio ripped this a few years ago (and Bucharest). I love this show!

The fake crowd noise ruins this release for me. It's practically unlistenable because of it. But at work, I really can't hear it, and the performances stood out.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #10594 on: August 06, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »

Still my favorite of the Mangini-era DT albums. Also tied with BC&SL for their most over-hated, imo.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online nick_z

« Reply #10595 on: August 06, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »

Still my favorite of the Mangini-era DT albums. Also tied with BC&SL for their most over-hated, imo.

Mine too, no doubt. And yes, it looks like it's not held in particularly high regard, in general...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10596 on: August 06, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »

I fucking love this album. I got it when it came out and played the shit out of it. Produced by BOB EZRIN!!

There's a lot of talk about 80's glam rock, but Hanoi Rocks were so far ahead of it, and they were from Finland!!

And for those that don't know, it was THEIR drummer that was killed in the Vince Neil DUI crash. He is pictured over Michael Monroe's left shoulder.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10597 on: August 07, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts
Van Halen - Van Halen II
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE 2
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #10598 on: August 07, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »
Cannot stop listening to this album:

....and in particular, Track #8. I am obsessed with that song right now. I have been listening to it, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks now (and its grip is not losing any traction so far). Any debate about which is the better album, Apex or Abyss.....for me, ends at that song. Whichever album was going to contain it, is the best. Even if just how it makes the average of the album go up exponentially.....and even if the "mean" of the other is superior.

In this case, I think the better songs are on Abyss regardless.....almost across the board. Though I have gathered that is not the consensus in this forum.....and I definitely love Apex as well.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10599 on: August 07, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
Cannot stop listening to this album:

....and in particular, Track #8. I am obsessed with that song right now. I have been listening to it, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks now (and its grip is not losing any traction so far). Any debate about which is the better album, Apex or Abyss.....for me, ends at that song. Whichever album was going to contain it, is the best. Even if just how it makes the average of the album go up exponentially.....and even if the "mean" of the other is superior.

In this case, I think the better songs are on Abyss regardless.....almost across the board. Though I have gathered that is not the consensus in this forum.....and I definitely love Apex as well.

Agreed - as I mentioned in the UtA thread, Apex grabbed me right away and it's a fantastic album, but Abyss is even better for my taste. One of my favorites from last year, and almost surely one of the albums I listened to the most. And The Wind that Shapes the Land is indeed amazing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10600 on: August 07, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »

Love this album so much. I still go back to it relatively often. It remains one of my favorites from the prog "wave" of the first half of the 90s. And as much as I've enjoyed all of Enchant's output throughout the years, I don't think they've ever reached the heights of their debut again. It's a perfect combo of slightly-metallized (?) 80s Rush and Marillion, I guess with a dash of Kansas in Ted Leonard's voice. So good.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10601 on: August 07, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »

Love this album so much. I still go back to it relatively often. It remains one of my favorites from the prog "wave" of the first half of the 90s. And as much as I've enjoyed all of Enchant's output throughout the years, I don't think they've ever reached the heights of their debut again. It's a perfect combo of slightly-metallized (?) 80s Rush and Marillion, I guess with a dash of Kansas in Ted Leonard's voice. So good.

I’ve listened to this album maybe twice over the years. I like it, but I always forget about it. I think it’s the only Enchant album I’ve actually heard.  Thanks for the reminder. Im going to give it another listen today.
Can't we find the minds

Online HOF

« Reply #10602 on: August 07, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »

Love this album, and love Enchant. I think I prefer Break, and I also really like Juggling 9 or Dropping 10, but this was an outstanding debut. I’ve always heard a little Fates Warning in their sound as well, partly due to Ted’s voice but maybe because they’re a slightly heavier version of Rush like you said.

Online HOF

« Reply #10603 on: August 07, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites. Thanks to Rick Beato for getting me to pull this out again.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10604 on: August 07, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go
Can't we find the minds