Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 478562 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #10430 on: July 20, 2021, 02:04:23 PM »
Wheel - Resident Human / (the Wheel that is heavy Tool and Soen influenced). I really like this album, the guitars are more interesting than a lot of Tool stuff

Year of No Light - Consolamentum / this is an instant buy for me. Epic doomy instrumental postmetal with a Gojira groove would be my best description

Also revisited the White Ward albums. Love, Exchange, Failure is a bit more experimental then Futility Report. At this point I prefer the first one .
Will put Moonspell on my backlog as Hermitage is still very interesting after a few spins.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10431 on: July 20, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »
Scale The Summit - Subjects
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10432 on: July 20, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »
Wheel - Resident Human / (the Wheel that is heavy Tool and Soen influenced). I really like this album, the guitars are more interesting than a lot of Tool stuff

Year of No Light - Consolamentum / this is an instant buy for me. Epic doomy instrumental postmetal with a Gojira groove would be my best description

Also revisited the White Ward albums. Love, Exchange, Failure is a bit more experimental then Futility Report. At this point I prefer the first one .
Will put Moonspell on my backlog as Hermitage is still very interesting after a few spins.

Resident Human wasn't bad, but I really liked Consolamentum on first listen. Anything on Pelagic Records is usually a pretty safe bet.

I just gave Love Exchange Failure another listen to, it's good enough that I've downloaded it to stick on my ipod. Have you checked out Hur by Dordeduh yet?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10433 on: July 20, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
Y&T - Ten

Bad Company - Holy Water

Cinderella- Long Cold Winter, Heartbreak Station

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10434 on: July 20, 2021, 07:11:16 PM »

Dordeduh - Har

My hit rate of discoveries today has been pretty good. This is labelled on RYM as progressive atmospheric folk/black metal. I don't hear a great deal of black metal to be honest, but this is really good.

I suppose the best description I can give is kinda Devin Townsend meets Enslaved. That doesn't fully do it justice though. Just check it out.

Yea this really is great. Creeping into my top 10 of the year. The description still stands, but also a bit of Thy Catafalque folkiness thrown in as well!

This is VERY interesting. I had seen it mentioned before - thank you for reminding me to actually check it out  :) Certainly an album that will require multiple listens...

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #10435 on: July 20, 2021, 07:30:34 PM »

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Sucks the band was so fucking high they decided to record someone eating breakfast and talking over the last song.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #10436 on: July 20, 2021, 08:28:45 PM »

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Sucks the band was so fucking high they decided to record someone eating breakfast and talking over the last song.

Well, I don't know if you noticed but the cover is just a cow.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10437 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:17 AM »
Animals As Leaders - The Madness Of Many

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10438 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:15 AM »
Ice Age - The Great Divide
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10439 on: July 21, 2021, 07:32:43 AM »
Ice Age - The Great Divide

That is a fantastic album.  Too bad they didn't keep going. 

m going to be listening to Iron Maiden's entire discography, just like I always do ahead of one of their new albums coming out.  I'll go through the catalog from beginning to end, every studio album.  Starting with this bad boy right now:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #10440 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »

Catching up on a few more new releases. Liked the new Fear Factory more than I thought I would,it was alright.

New Bulb reminds me of David Maxim Micic (who I love). Definitely worth a second listen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10441 on: July 21, 2021, 08:34:35 AM »
Magellan - Test of Wills

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10442 on: July 21, 2021, 09:53:11 AM »
The Most Serene Republic - Population

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10443 on: July 21, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
Tool - Undertow

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10444 on: July 21, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »
Dewa Budjana - Naurora

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10445 on: July 21, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
Various Artists - Still Wish You Were Here: A Tribute to Pink Floyd

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10446 on: July 21, 2021, 04:44:35 PM »
Stryper- In God We Trust

Saxon- Rock the Nations

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10447 on: July 21, 2021, 05:17:57 PM »

As I mentioned in a previous comment, Dordeduh is very interesting, and I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it.

Atoma is yet another band with Jari Lindholm, of Enshine fame, on guitar. This actually predates Enshine, and is pretty much the same line-up as Slumber, who had disbanded a few years prior (check out their only album, Fallout!). A pretty cool record - Lindholm's sound is recognizable, but this has clean vocals, and a more noticeable presence of "electronics".

Demoniac' So It Goes is a relatively unorthodox thrash metal album from Chile. There's actually plenty of old-school influence (in the production too), but there's an abundance of odd choices as well, including the use of a clarinet (!). I wasn't quite sold at first, but I have to say this deserves some attention. Tasty guitar work (including very noodly bass playing!)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10448 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »
Tuesday The Sky - Drift

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #10449 on: July 22, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »

Resident Human wasn't bad, but I really liked Consolamentum on first listen. Anything on Pelagic Records is usually a pretty safe bet.

I just gave Love Exchange Failure another listen to, it's good enough that I've downloaded it to stick on my ipod. Have you checked out Hur by Dordeduh yet?

Pelagic is a very safe bet. Have you seen they sell all their downloads  at ´name your price´ on Bandcamp since a few weeks?

I checked the Dordehuh album yesterday during work. Not the best way to listen but enough to go back to it. I like what I heard.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #10450 on: July 22, 2021, 01:59:50 PM »

Pelagic is a very safe bet. Have you seen they sell all their downloads  at ´name your price´ on Bandcamp since a few weeks?

I checked the Dordehuh album yesterday during work. Not the best way to listen but enough to go back to it. I like what I heard.

What, all Pelagic band downloads are 'name your price'? That's awesome! Glad you dug Dordeduh enough to check them out again.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10451 on: July 22, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »

The Pump vs. Dr. Feelgood discussion inspired some revisiting of the last two albums of original tunes from Aerosmith...

As for the rest - any Hammers of Misfortune fans here? I'm really hoping they come out with something new...this last one is from 2016 and it's so good (along with the rest of their discography...)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10452 on: July 23, 2021, 01:02:37 AM »
Iron Maiden- Dance of Death

Tesla - Five Man Acoustical Jam

Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes

House of Lords - Sahara

Deep Purple- Slaves & Masters

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10453 on: July 23, 2021, 06:22:44 AM »
Julian Lage - Squint

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10454 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:01 AM »
Pat Metheny - Road to the Sun

Offline Melphina

« Reply #10455 on: July 23, 2021, 07:21:26 AM »

The Flame, Dear Flame album is a curious doom metal album. Stripped down and more minimalist than lots of other doom, with a clean female singer. Curious but not quite compelling. Vandor is a solid power metal record channeling the sound of bands from a couple decades ago, with some mean guitar and keyboard playing. I know the singer/guitarist - he's come a long way and this is a killer album.

The Ravian album is fantastic symphonic power metal. It was recorded over a very long time, apparently, in a bizarre order (final vocals being recorded before the last drums and guitars, if I'm reading the credits correctly). But this is excellent. It's beefy, has variety, and loads of catchy melodies and great playing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:08:50 AM by Melphina »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10456 on: July 23, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
Chick Corea Akoustic Band - Live From The Blue Note Tokyo

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10457 on: July 23, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »
Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10458 on: July 23, 2021, 09:43:10 AM »
Chick Corea Akoustic Band - Live From The Blue Note Tokyo
this is one of my alltime favourite Chick Corea albums. Might be my alltime favourite. (Vinnie Colaiuta is on fire there, and everyone really.)

Toto: Toto IV
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10459 on: July 23, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »
Jagged Edge - Fuel For Your Soul

Britney Fox - Bite Down Hard

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #10460 on: July 23, 2021, 05:43:47 PM »
 Serpent and Spirit by Urne.

Memorial is the standout track for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10461 on: July 24, 2021, 06:09:56 AM »
Steve Vai - Fire Garden

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10462 on: July 24, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »

I'm enjoying the Dvne album (bottom left) more and more...some really cool atmospheres, and powerful stuff overall

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #10463 on: July 24, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists
Steve Lukather - Candyman
Brutus - Nest
Intronaut - Fluid Existential Inversions
Oceans of Slumber - Oceans of Slumber
The Ocean - Phanerozoic II

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10464 on: July 24, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Frost* - Day And Age

This album was a pleasant surprise for me this year, Falling Satellites didn't impress me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.