Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 478513 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #4550 on: February 03, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
friggin' thought that was the same album as this one until i just checked and it isn't?? okay. similar album covers tho :P i'll check it out i guess. maybe that'll be my personal choice album for tomorrow  :lol

this was like djent-prog or something i didn't finish it

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4551 on: February 03, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4552 on: February 03, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »

Looks like a scene from Kung Fu Panda 2

@ K-Lox. Yeah I sampled and Saved the Thematic on Friday. Got a real nice full listen in tonight. Probably the best thing I've heard so far this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4553 on: February 03, 2020, 08:28:34 PM »

If Deftones went electronic, with a bit of alt rock and dream pop. Really nice atmosphere, I like it so far.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4554 on: February 03, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
Van Halen- Best of Volume 1

I am completely a DLR guy but I will say “Dreams” and “Humans Being” are major  :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4555 on: February 03, 2020, 11:14:29 PM »

I am completely a DLR guy but I will say “Dreams” and “Humans Being” are major  :metal
I'm the opposite, I prefer Sammy Hagar, although I do like a number of DLR songs and I'm probably in the minority, but I think 5150 is their best album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4556 on: February 04, 2020, 12:03:50 AM »

I'm the opposite, I prefer Sammy Hagar, although I do like a number of DLR songs and I'm probably in the minority, but I think 5150 is their best album.

I respect that and understand that some Van Halen fans are completely on board with the Sammy era. I’ve read all the OU812 thread comments and respect all the comments and opinions.

But for me, when it comes to Van Halen, the only albums that are truly Van Halen are six albums....VH1, VH2, Women and Children First, Fair Warning  :metal, Diver Down, 1984!

I’ll admit I’ve never listened to any of the Sammy albums in their entirely but have heard all the hits and big songs. It’s all good tunes, (Dreams and Humans Being) are the two stand outs but nothing touches the DLR tracks.

I know many will disagree with me when it comes to Van Halen, but VH is  truly the first six albums and that’s it. There is no way I’ll argue with anyone that is a Sammy fan( and I know there is many based on the OU812 thread). Complete respect ✊
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:11:17 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4557 on: February 04, 2020, 03:27:03 AM »
ChuckSteak - you gotta bring back the cat avatar my man. It's synonymous with you.  :lol
Ah, I lost it. :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4558 on: February 04, 2020, 03:33:07 AM »
OU81..............

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4559 on: February 04, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »
This album is excellent..

Checked this out over the weekend and recommended it to Chad as well. I really dig this. It's one of the better records I've heard so far this year. Loads of interesting moments on there.

One of my old bands played a show with this band when they had a very different lineup.  I work with two of the guys, and the other guitar player in this band is a former bandmate of mine and one of my best friends.  I dig this record.  I really hope it does well for them!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4560 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4561 on: February 04, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
 :rollin

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4562 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
Seether-Poison the Parrish
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4563 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:11 AM »

I respect that and understand that some Van Halen fans are completely on board with the Sammy era. I’ve read all the OU812 thread comments and respect all the comments and opinions.

But for me, when it comes to Van Halen, the only albums that are truly Van Halen are six albums....VH1, VH2, Women and Children First, Fair Warning  :metal, Diver Down, 1984!

I’ll admit I’ve never listened to any of the Sammy albums in their entirely but have heard all the hits and big songs. It’s all good tunes, (Dreams and Humans Being) are the two stand outs but nothing touches the DLR tracks.

I know many will disagree with me when it comes to Van Halen, but VH is  truly the first six albums and that’s it. There is no way I’ll argue with anyone that is a Sammy fan( and I know there is many based on the OU812 thread). Complete respect ✊

I'm sure it's got something to do with age, but for me the DLR records are ALBUMS, and the Sammy records are COLLECTIONS OF SONGS.  Meaning, I don't put on VHII to listen to "Women In Love", I put it on to listen as a group.  I will put on 5150 to listen to "Summer Nights" or OU812 to listen to "Cabo Wabo".  I think it's how I grew up listening; A Different Kind Of Truth falls more into the latter.   It's just an observation; it doesn't make one better than another (though I'm a Dave guy). 

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4564 on: February 04, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »

So if you really liked Crack The Skye and are sad Mastodon never really made anything else like that, well, here you go.

Yeah this one is great  :hat
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4565 on: February 04, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4566 on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »

I'm sure it's got something to do with age, but for me the DLR records are ALBUMS, and the Sammy records are COLLECTIONS OF SONGS.  Meaning, I don't put on VHII to listen to "Women In Love", I put it on to listen as a group.  I will put on 5150 to listen to "Summer Nights" or OU812 to listen to "Cabo Wabo".  I think it's how I grew up listening; A Different Kind Of Truth falls more into the latter.   It's just an observation; it doesn't make one better than another (though I'm a Dave guy).

I was never a huge fan of VH. I liked them but thought their DLR albums were short and too much filler. Saying that, Fair Warning made my top 50.
I liked SH too so it should have been a no brainier when he joined but the same thing happened. 5150 was half a great album. OU812 had a couple of goods songs. FUCK and Balance I really liked.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4567 on: February 04, 2020, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4568 on: February 04, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4569 on: February 04, 2020, 04:26:21 PM »
Whirecross - Pure Metal

Y&T - Ten

White Lion - Pride

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4570 on: February 04, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
Anyone else check this album out?

I really like it. Seems it's a one man band thingy. Pretty moody and Gothy. Reminds me a little of the Idle Hands album from last year.

But this album is very mid tempo, which would generally not appeal to me, but each song is strong on its own with its own character. Some excellent guitar solos too.

Lead Wings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjP5PXc-1k

Hiding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHIlqBR83A   This song ends with a great solo.

Loving it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4571 on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
I listened to the Thematic album earlier, I thought it was pretty solid if not especially unique-sounding and probably a tad too long, but I'd revisit it sure

right now:

Probably the best post-hardcore/post-metal fusion I've heard yet tbh. Still digging this one a lot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4572 on: February 04, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
I listened to the Thematic album earlier, I thought it was pretty solid if not especially unique-sounding and probably a tad too long, but I'd revisit it sure

Yeah, that's fair. You could easily lop off  10-15 minutes/2-3 tracks.

Still it's pretty damn good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4573 on: February 04, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:56:09 PM by TAC »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4574 on: February 04, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »
^^ Really good stuff there Tim. That Unreqvited album is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for 2020
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4575 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
I'm not crazy about the Deathwhite album. I like the Dawn Of Solace a lot more.

The Unreqvited is pretty decent. Sets a nice mood.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4576 on: February 04, 2020, 09:26:38 PM »

How is it? Love their first two albums, but have heard very mixed things about this one.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4577 on: February 04, 2020, 09:36:26 PM »
i spun it when it dropped & thought it was okay. i'd have to give it more spins though. i don't think it's as good as the last one, anyways

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4578 on: February 04, 2020, 10:46:49 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4579 on: February 05, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:02:09 AM by ChuckSteak »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4580 on: February 05, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
Lenny White's "The Adventures of Astral Pirates" per I saw a vinyl copy at Half Price Books the other night was tempted to pick it up.

This is VERY COOL! 👍👍👍👍

Not quite, but I would almost put this concept record in the same league of some of my favorites/classic Jazz-Rock stuff like Marscape and Like Children.

Funky, Heavy, technical and thematic Jazz-Rock from 1978.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4581 on: February 05, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
Queensryche - The Verdict
Stratovarious - Eternal
Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony
Caligula's Horse - Bloom <- now playing  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4582 on: February 05, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »

How is it? Love their first two albums, but have heard very mixed things about this one.

It’s not as good as Underside, but I like it a lot and think the RYM rating is pretty ridiculous.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4583 on: February 05, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4584 on: February 05, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
RYM just sheeps whatever fantano says 90% of the time