Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 471276 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #980 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:41 AM »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #981 on: September 13, 2018, 02:56:19 AM »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: September 13, 2018, 03:34:07 AM »

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #983 on: September 13, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »

Some good old Opeth :tup

First one I bought a long time ago...

I haven't properly listened to this album in way too long. I remember when I first listened I thought it was great all the way through... and then To Bid You Farewell came on and I knew Opeth was gonna be something special.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
One of the great things about Morningrise is how audible the bass is even through layered twin guitar harmonies. Some of the jazzy and folksy bits are the best of Opeth's career, IMHO.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: September 13, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Sword- Metalized

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier
Pearl Jam - Ten
Slash (feat. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators) - World on Fire
Alter Bridge - AB III
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:34:37 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #987 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »

Today is a good release day. After this I've also got new Thrice and new Vennart to listen to  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #988 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:08 PM »

So recently I heard this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63ORAlDxg8

It instantly reminded me of the Crippled Black Phoenix singer. Do you have any idea if it could actually be her? She sounds so similar. I can't find any info about it on Arabrot/Crippled Black Phoenix's social media channels. I'll give that new album a listen (and also still need to listen to Bronze), the cover looks really nice.

On topic:

OWEL - Dear Me: I remember listening to this almost instantly after listening to the self-titled but it wasn't doing much for me. Now I finally tried again and it's actually really good! Not as good as the self-titled album but still. They're working on new stuff too :corn

Deftones - Koi No Yokan/Diamond Eyes/White Pony/Adrenaline: I've been on a crazy Deftones binge lately, love this band. I wish I could get into Saturday Night Wrist more than I currently am because that one gets a lot of love it seems.

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here: Dang, this is miles better than Family Dinner! Listened to it at work yesterday, it's such a fun album but also not too distracting to play while working. My colleague calls them the Slipknot of jazz because they have so many members :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: September 14, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »
Rush- 2112

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: September 14, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
Accept - Blood of the Nations
Rush - Counterparts
Queensryche - Q2k (expanded edition)
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Stryper - God Damn Evil
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel  :metal :metal
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:14:00 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #991 on: September 14, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here: Dang, this is miles better than Family Dinner! Listened to it at work yesterday, it's such a fun album but also not too distracting to play while working. My colleague calls them the Slipknot of jazz because they have so many members :lol
They're one of the comfiest bands I know, I think they have a video recording of that whole album somewhere online - you can see them having a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying their music  :D . I'd check out Sylva, very interesting record they made along with an orchestra.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #992 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #993 on: September 15, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »

Giving all these new releases a second listen (or first for Future Usses) and I feel slightly disappointed.

Crippled Black Phoenix -

I kind of enjoy this and I like all the spoken word samples over some of the tracks. It's all a little bit forgetful for me and I can't remember much about it. I think I've been spoilt by my love of I, Vigilante by them as it just blows every other CBP away, in my book. That is the sort of CBP I love. Hopefully this new one will grow but it's not looking like top 20 material at all.

Vennart -

His debut has grown on me a lot over the last month and I enjoy the majority of it. After two listens this new one is also a little forgetful. There are some nice hooks and again, hopefully it'll grow.

Thrice -

This is my fave of the bunch (as of yet I haven't finished Future Usses) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are some good songs and I find it pretty consistent. Highlights are The Grey, A Branch in the River and Beyond the Pines. Might be a top 10 of 2018.

Bit disappointed overall but I'll give them all more listens.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:43:10 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #994 on: September 15, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »

I approve of this :metal I like Dunable's work with Intronaut more but this is an interesting side-route, though honestly this one didn't offer that little bit of extra that instrumental music requires for me to grab me.

They're one of the comfiest bands I know, I think they have a video recording of that whole album somewhere online - you can see them having a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying their music  :D . I'd check out Sylva, very interesting record they made along with an orchestra.
Nice, saved it on Spotify! :metal
Give their album Matador a listen tho, very unique blend of chill electronic music with post-rock.
As well as this one! :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #995 on: September 15, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »

hey, i listened to all of these too  :lol
vennart was probably my favorite of the set i think, i like it more than his first solo record
thrice was fine. future usses started strong but the back half or so wasn't as interesting.
i wish i liked crippled black phoenix more than i do considering the one song you sent that was super good but the new one felt like it kinda dragged one way longer than it needed to

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #996 on: September 15, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
hey, i listened to all of these too  :lol
vennart was probably my favorite of the set i think, i like it more than his first solo record
thrice was fine. future usses started strong but the back half or so wasn't as interesting.
i wish i liked crippled black phoenix more than i do considering the one song you sent that was super good but the new one felt like it kinda dragged one way longer than it needed to

Just updated with my thoughts. Basically, Thrice is my pick of the bunch (although I haven't listens to all of Future Usses yet). Dude, have you listened to I, Vigiilante yet? That's my fave album of theirs and easily their best (even though there's still a few I'm yet to check out).

I approve of this :metal I like Dunable's work with Intronaut more but this is an interesting side-route, though honestly this one didn't offer that little bit of extra that instrumental music requires for me to grab me.

I'll check back in after I've finished it. I didn't know this band was an Intronaut side project. Nice.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #997 on: September 15, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
Nice, saved it on Spotify! :metal
Give their album Matador a listen tho, very unique blend of chill electronic music with post-rock.
As well as this one! :metal
:2metal:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: September 15, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
Yngwie Malmsteen- Odyssey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: September 15, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

This one for the last three days. So damn good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1000 on: September 15, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

Giving all these new releases a second listen (or first for Future Usses) and I feel slightly disappointed.

Crippled Black Phoenix -

I kind of enjoy this and I like all the spoken word samples over some of the tracks. It's all a little bit forgetful for me and I can't remember much about it. I think I've been spoilt by my love of I, Vigilante by them as it just blows every other CBP away, in my book. That is the sort of CBP I love. Hopefully this new one will grow but it's not looking like top 20 material at all.

Vennart -

His debut has grown on me a lot over the last month and I enjoy the majority of it. After two listens this new one is also a little forgetful. There are some nice hooks and again, hopefully it'll grow.

Thrice -

This is my fave of the bunch (as of yet I haven't finished Future Usses) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are some good songs and I find it pretty consistent. Highlights are The Grey, A Branch in the River and Beyond the Pines. Might be a top 10 of 2018.

Bit disappointed overall but I'll give them all more listens.
I' ve only heard once the new Vennart album and I'm confident that it will top The Demon Joke for me. I've listened to the singles Immortal Soldiers and Donkey Kong a lot of times and I prefer it to all or almost all The Demon Joke songs. The new album needs some spins before I can judge it properly, it seems more difficult than the debut.

Palms by Thrice is good to me, but I think To be Everywhere.. is still better. I don't find songs in the new album as good as Hurricane or The Long Defeat, but I enjoy listening to Palms front to back.

I'm also enjoying Rainier Fog by AiC, great album too that one.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: September 15, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1002 on: September 15, 2018, 11:17:15 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
Rush- Hold Your Fire

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1004 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
Virginia Wolf - s/t

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: September 17, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »
Metallica- AJFA

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: September 17, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
Redemption - Long Night's Journey Into Day
TOOL - Aenima
Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Metallica - WorldWired in Europe: 2017/2018
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:44:39 PM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1007 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
I'd liked Derdian's recent multi-vocalist album from 2016, so decided to check out this trilogy.  Pretty damned good.  Katt would love it.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »
I'd liked Derdian's recent multi-vocalist album from 2016, so decided to check out this trilogy.  Pretty damned good.  Katt would love it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1009 on: September 17, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
That looks gloriously disgusting!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1010 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
Okay, y'know, I remember checking out Derdian waaaay back in the day, according to Metal Archives they must have only had one album out at the time. I remember them doing nothing for me even in my 'spring chicken' days but it's been well over a decade so why not? I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks Chad.  :tup

Lately I've been hearing a lot of stuff, I'm half-jokingly trying to listen to every album by every band at ProgPower next year (total of 132, I'm good for 27 at the start of this journey). Here's what I've heard the last few days:

Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Iron Mask - Diabolica
Galneryus - The Flag of Punishment
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls  :hefdaddy of course
Galneryus - Advance to the Fall (currently progressing through this one)

And then Omnium Gatherum - The Burning Cold, Twilight Force - Heroes of Mighty Magic... yeah. Love me some cheese, bruddas.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:12 AM »
Rush- Presto

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1012 on: September 18, 2018, 03:05:25 AM »
Okay, y'know, I remember checking out Derdian waaaay back in the day, according to Metal Archives they must have only had one album out at the time. I remember them doing nothing for me even in my 'spring chicken' days but it's been well over a decade so why not? I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks Chad.  :tup

Lately I've been hearing a lot of stuff, I'm half-jokingly trying to listen to every album by every band at ProgPower next year (total of 132, I'm good for 27 at the start of this journey). Here's what I've heard the last few days:

Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Iron Mask - Diabolica
Galneryus - The Flag of Punishment
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls  :hefdaddy of course
Galneryus - Advance to the Fall (currently progressing through this one)

And then Omnium Gatherum - The Burning Cold, Twilight Force - Heroes of Mighty Magic... yeah. Love me some cheese, bruddas.

I don't really listen to much power metal nowadays, outside my faves. I have listened to a few Galneryus albums this last year though, and I really enjoyed them. Galneryus and Angra are the only power metal bands I've wanted to revisit for years.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1013 on: September 18, 2018, 05:09:46 AM »
I'm super impressed with Galneryus. I'm curious to hear what the current singer sounds like but I'm digging the first guy so far. Can't believe I never paid these guys any attention because they're fantastic.

FYI: I have heard Mercy Falls before - I just don't listen to SW that often. Sometimes I feel like their songs go on way too long; even my favorite song, Not An Angel, overstays its welcome by like 2 whole minutes. But songs like A Day Away... ho lee phuq. Would love a whole album like that song.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:04:23 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
Today so far:

Kingcrow - The Persistence
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Testament - The Gathering
Testament - The New Order
Savatage - The Wake of Magellan
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:31:57 PM by Samsara »

www.roadstomadness.com