Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 471338 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #420 on: May 31, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
Judas Priest- Firepower

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm just finishing up Slayer - Reign in Blood. That was...uh, something else. I wouldn't be sad about never hearing anything off this album ever again. One of the worst album I've ever heard in my life. Ugh.

I have Rush - Permanent Waves queued next and hopefully that will be, y'know...good.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
I'm just finishing up Slayer - Reign in Blood. That was...uh, something else. I wouldn't be sad about never hearing anything off this album ever again. One of the worst album I've ever heard in my life. Ugh.
That's because you're a poser, not a kvlt metvlhead 666 lml :2metal: :metardica: :2metal:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »

I have Rush - Permanent Waves queued next and hopefully that will be, y'know...good.

What?

Is it because you don't really even like thrash metal? It blew my mind when I first heard it! I was a Metallica obsessive and had never heard anything like Slayer before  :heart

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
That's because you're a poser, not a kvlt metvlhead 666 lml :2metal: :metardica: :2metal:

I'll gladly be a poser if I don't have to listen to that again.

What?

Is it because you don't really even like thrash metal? It blew my mind when I first heard it! I was a Metallica obsessive and had never heard anything like Slayer before  :heart

I like Metallica and Megadeth a fair bit, and even some stuff that would definitely be heavier than Slayer but isn't Thrash, like Meshuggah. I just found it obnoxious from start to finish. The only thing that really stood out to me as being any good was the rhythm guitar. But the vocals were ear-gratingly bad (both his singing and the vocal lines themselves, which I hated), I wasn't a fan of the production, and the feel the drummer played with was far from my cup of tea. And the lead guitar parts just sounded like atonal screeching imo. The lyrics seem well-written from a technical standpoint even if they do seem like they were written by a 12 year old edgelord. I just didn't like anything about the album period.

And true, I've never heard anything like them before. And I hope to not hear anything like that again.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #425 on: May 31, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
They did nothing for me either apart from make me feel better about my soloing 😁

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »
I don't mind a bit of Slayer once in a blue moon (South of Heaven most likely) but never rated them particularly highly outside of acknowledging their influence on metal in general.

They did nothing for me either apart from make me feel better about my soloing 😁

:lol

When I saw your name on the last post I thought of...........

the Stones

;D :-X
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #427 on: May 31, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
Ouch 😁

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: May 31, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »

The title track is great as is Post Mortem.

Ninjabait, you might find South Of Heaven more palatable. It's way more groove oriented. But Seasons In The Abyss is all kinds of awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #429 on: June 01, 2018, 01:04:09 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: June 01, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
Saxon- Thunderbolt

Heaven & Hell- The Devil You Know

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #431 on: June 01, 2018, 05:33:03 AM »
Ghost - Prequelle.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:56 AM »
Ghost - Prequelle.

I'll be checking that out later today.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #433 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
i'll jump in here to say that slayer are indeed one of the worst "popular" metal acts of all time. never heard a single good song from them.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »

The title track is great as is Post Mortem.

Ninjabait, you might find South Of Heaven more palatable. It's way more groove oriented. But Seasons In The Abyss is all kinds of awesome.

I'll possibly check that out eventually. I'm in no rush to listen to more Slayer lol. Are we talking Gojira-levels of groove here?

Anyways:

VUUR - In This Moment We Are Free - Cities

I will never get tired of Anneke van Giersbergen. Ever

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online mikeyd23

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #437 on: June 01, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
I'll possibly check that out eventually. I'm in no rush to listen to more Slayer lol. Are we talking Gojira-levels of groove here?
You won't have an easy time finding bands that have Gojira-level of groove. :lol

For me the best Slayer album is God Hates Us All, but I still wouldn't call myself a big fan. To me definitely sounds like the Slayer album with the biggest focus on groovy rhythm guitar riffs though. The vocals can get kind of grating I must admit, but instrumentally I think it's a perfectly fine mix of thrash and groove metal. Check the track Cast Down to see what I mean

Today I had my first completely free day in a long while, so lots of listening time :metal :

Le Grand Muignol: Maybe too weird, maybe not, but definitely interesting enough to return to more. Extreme circus metal :metal
The Minerva Conduct: Would put this in the category of "good enough instrumental prog metal" which is fine but not something I will ever fall in love with. Replay value is there though.
Animals As Leaders: Now this is more interesting than past AAL releases, more subtle, less straight up dj0nt, and against all expectations pretty fine relaxing background music. Yeah, relaxing. :laugh:
The Tony Danza Tapdanze Extravaganza: This is right up there with Frontierer as typical Traincore: traincore is usually very heavy, chaotic, and kinda weird. Not something you would want to be caught listening to in public, but damn this album hits hard, I love it.

Also tried the new Ghost album but it was pretty boring and I couldn't get past the first few tracks, hope it'll grow on me as I'm seeing them at a festival in one and a half months.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #438 on: June 01, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
I like Metallica and Megadeth a fair bit, and even some stuff that would definitely be heavier than Slayer but isn't Thrash, like Meshuggah. I just found it obnoxious from start to finish. The only thing that really stood out to me as being any good was the rhythm guitar. But the vocals were ear-gratingly bad (both his singing and the vocal lines themselves, which I hated), I wasn't a fan of the production, and the feel the drummer played with was far from my cup of tea. And the lead guitar parts just sounded like atonal screeching imo. The lyrics seem well-written from a technical standpoint even if they do seem like they were written by a 12 year old edgelord. I just didn't like anything about the album period.

And true, I've never heard anything like them before. And I hope to not hear anything like that again.

Wow.  The thing to understand with Slayer is that their only goal, especially with Reign in Blood, is that they want to pummel you.  They don't care about the musicianship, production, or anything else.  They are going to kick your ass from the first note until the last, and never let up.  That album is 29 minutes of the most unrelenting thrash metal ever recorded. 

It might not be for everyone, but if you're looking for all sorts of technical qualifications from the lyrics and musicianship in a Slayer record, you're never going to find them.

As for my listening today:

Ghost - full discography
Gruesome - Twisted Prayers
Overkill - WFO, The Years of Decay

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #439 on: June 01, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »
Fair enough, I guess. It's definitely NOT something for me. I really am just completely unable to grasp why people would want to listen to or make music like that. I can dig some really heavy stuff if there's something for me to latch on to. Like Meshuggah or Gojira are all about makin' some groove, even though Meshuggah is probably one of the heaviest bands I've heard period. But in their case, Meshuggah's heaviness is a by-product of the techniques they use to create grooves. With Slayer there's nothing like that for me to latch on to. It just feels like noise.

I just don't understand the philosophy behind making music that's intentionally abrasive and unlistenable, whether it be something like Slayer or grindcore or some harder punk or free/loft jazz or serialist/avant-garde/expressionist classical or really abrasive IDM. It seems like their whole spiel is about getting a rise out of or offend people but I've heard a good explanation about why they want to do that. It just seems like upheaval and destruction for its own sake rather than for a specific purpose. idk, I just don't get the thought process behind that or why people think it's a good thing. In Slayer's case, is it adrenaline or something? Getting the blood pumping with really frenetic music?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #440 on: June 01, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
I don't see what's the big deal? You just don't like Slayer and don't understand the appeal, so be it. Like I said, you might enjoy their more rhythm/groove oriented album God Hates Us All a bit more, but you will most likely still dislike the band.

I wish you were around when Kotowboy wasn't banned, you would've gotten along really well :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #441 on: June 01, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #442 on: June 01, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Nice batch big H.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #443 on: June 01, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »
Fair enough, I guess. It's definitely NOT something for me. I really am just completely unable to grasp why people would want to listen to or make music like that. I can dig some really heavy stuff if there's something for me to latch on to. Like Meshuggah or Gojira are all about makin' some groove, even though Meshuggah is probably one of the heaviest bands I've heard period. But in their case, Meshuggah's heaviness is a by-product of the techniques they use to create grooves. With Slayer there's nothing like that for me to latch on to. It just feels like noise.

I just don't understand the philosophy behind making music that's intentionally abrasive and unlistenable, whether it be something like Slayer or grindcore or some harder punk or free/loft jazz or serialist/avant-garde/expressionist classical or really abrasive IDM. It seems like their whole spiel is about getting a rise out of or offend people but I've heard a good explanation about why they want to do that. It just seems like upheaval and destruction for its own sake rather than for a specific purpose. idk, I just don't get the thought process behind that or why people think it's a good thing. In Slayer's case, is it adrenaline or something? Getting the blood pumping with really frenetic music?
Abrassivness can be a means of release of angst usually, either personal like Nine Inch Nails or Converge, or even political, what Rage Against the Machine and Refused have done. But there's also stuff for the sake of it, see Slayer or Death Grips :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »
Crimson Glory- s/t, Transcendence

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: June 03, 2018, 02:15:37 AM »
Kiss - Rock And Roll Over
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: June 03, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »
Felt like some good pop music this morning.

Excellent record. :hat

Online ozzy554

« Reply #447 on: June 03, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 03, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
UFO- Best of, Strangers in the Night

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #449 on: June 03, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
UFO- Best of, Strangers in the Night

That's redundant.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: June 04, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »
Anthrax- Spreading the Disease

Armored Saint- March of the Saint

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:05 AM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #452 on: June 04, 2018, 03:48:12 AM »
I got into CSNY because of "Our House" from How I Met Your Mother (just like I got into Billy Joel because of "Souvenir" from How I Met Your Mother!). I first bought Deja-Vu (of course), and then this one. It's got a great "perfect pop" approach that various albums from the late 70s had. It's a very cool album in the vein of Rumors, Hotel California or Year Of The Cat.

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #453 on: June 04, 2018, 10:47:50 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »