Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 477609 times)

Offline bobzor

Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #9520 on: May 05, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »
Today's playlist:

Judas Priest - Stained Class
Judas Priest - Killing Machine
Motörhead - Overkill
Girlschool - The Collection (Best of 2CD)

Stained Class is in my mind probably the best Priest record of the 70's, while Killing Machine is somewhat dull, although that one has some cool tracks as well. Stained Class however is a very powerful album and has some of those really big choruses, like in the title track and the awesome cover song.

Overkill is classic stuff, of course, but the album's fault in my mind is that the opener is one of their greatest songs of all time, and the other songs don't match it in any universe, so it kind of falls flat from song number two onward, only to pick up a little later with great songs as Metropolis in the end etc.

Girlschool, or the female version of Motörhead, are to me pretty much a best of band and I've never bothered to dive deeper, although this compilation surely has some magnificent tracks on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9521 on: May 05, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
Day off listening...

This album is METAL!  :metal Tony Moore holy shit!

Alice is really good on this. Lyrically and vocally it's all win. Whether or not the musical direction is your cup of tea, that's debatable. But he set out to capture a certain theme, and I think he succeeds.

I forget just how good this album is.

A gift from the heavens.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9522 on: May 05, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »
Day off listening...

You've inspired me to grab my copy and put it in the car this morning.  I have yet to spin my actually cd version since getting a copy a few months ago.  Here I go!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9523 on: May 05, 2021, 05:22:05 PM »
 :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9524 on: May 05, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
AC/DC- Back in Black

Queensryche- The Warning

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9525 on: May 05, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »
Two winners there, J!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9526 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:26 PM »
Tonight:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9527 on: May 05, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
Day off listening...

featuring the TOWER OF POWER HORNS!

:millahhhh
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9528 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #9529 on: May 06, 2021, 02:06:59 AM »

Damn this band is great

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9530 on: May 06, 2021, 05:54:59 AM »
Day off listening...

You've inspired me to grab my copy and put it in the car this morning.  I have yet to spin my actually cd version since getting a copy a few months ago.  Here I go!!  :metal

Fuck this is so good!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #9531 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:02 AM »
Ive been enjoying the 40th anniversary YT clips the band has been putting up on their channel. 

Such an under-appreciated album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9532 on: May 06, 2021, 06:16:26 AM »
God Is An Astronaut - Far From Refuge

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9533 on: May 06, 2021, 06:19:31 AM »

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9534 on: May 06, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »

:metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9535 on: May 06, 2021, 11:37:55 AM »
Rob Zombie - The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #9536 on: May 06, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »

Thoughts? (I've been on a bit of a Zombie kick lately, but this one felt like a 'miss' to me)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9537 on: May 06, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »

Thoughts? (I've been on a bit of a Zombie kick lately, but this one felt like a 'miss' to me)

I liked it way more than I thought I would. It sounds as you'd expect a RZ album to sound, but I thought it just had some great songs. Much better than some his other efforts.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #9538 on: May 06, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »

I liked it way more than I thought I would. It sounds as you'd expect a RZ album to sound, but I thought it just had some great songs. Much better than some his other efforts.

I feel like the newest album is a return to form.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9539 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9540 on: May 06, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »
Day off listening...

Fuck this is so good!

YES!! :metal

Ive been enjoying the 40th anniversary YT clips the band has been putting up on their channel. 

Yeah that's a great album. I watched the first two installments yesterday, and that inspired me to bust out Fistful, which I posted above. I will be following the episodes and I'll listen to the albums chronologically along with the clips.

I just listened to this last week. This is a major important album for me. It really reignited my love of music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9541 on: May 06, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
Today at work:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9542 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »

I just listened to this last week. This is a major important album for me. It really reignited my love of music.

I first discovered HammerFall back in 2005, but this is the first time I've listened to this album. It was pretty damn good!

I forget just how good this album is.

Listening to this for the first time. Turns out the version of Deathrider I know and love is a rerecord version, and not the one from this album. This album is fine but I just don't dig Anthrax, this is not news to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9543 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
VOLA - These Black Claws
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9544 on: May 06, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »
Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9545 on: May 06, 2021, 02:02:41 PM »

I feel like the newest album is a return to form.

I've listened about 5 times now.  I'd say it may be my favorite overall from him.  I personally have always found his albums to overall not be good, but have a few good songs which has always led me to be more of "I'll see him live, but don't care for the albums" type of fan.  I'd say this album is much more consistent from start to finish.

From my understanding it was John 5 who pushed him to make this and maybe that's why it's more consistent.  I've become a much bigger fan of John 5 than Rob Zombie over the last couple years.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #9546 on: May 06, 2021, 02:05:18 PM »

Yeah that's a great album. I watched the first two installments yesterday, and that inspired me to bust out Fistful, which I posted above. I will be following the episodes and I'll listen to the albums chronologically along with the clips.

They're actually gonna be doing a live stream later in the month to commemorate their 40 years.  In the past, they've talked about hypothetically doing retrospective shows featuring everybody who has sang with the band.  I don't know if that would extend to past musicians such as Danny Lilker, too.  But, I'm hoping to see John Bush singing a few songs from his era with the band at the show.  It's a crime that, aside from SoWN's "Only", John Bush's catalog has gone unrepresentated live for about 15-20 years.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9547 on: May 06, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »

This album really has it all  :metal

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #9548 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #9549 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:27 PM »
Santana - Caravanserai

Never heard a whole Santana album before. Don’t think I’ve heard anything besides Black Magic Woman and the hits from Supernatural actually. Saw this mentioned on a Sea of Tranquility video the other day and thought it sounded cool (and had a cool cover). Picked it up for like $5 on Amazon. Pretty cool stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9550 on: May 06, 2021, 07:47:01 PM »

They're actually gonna be doing a live stream later in the month to commemorate their 40 years.  In the past, they've talked about hypothetically doing retrospective shows featuring everybody who has sang with the band.  I don't know if that would extend to past musicians such as Danny Lilker, too.  But, I'm hoping to see John Bush singing a few songs from his era with the band at the show.  It's a crime that, aside from SoWN's "Only", John Bush's catalog has gone unrepresentated live for about 15-20 years.

I'm really interested in the episodes to see how they went from Joey to John. I remember it obviously. I was a huge Armored Saint fan at the time.

Tonight:

Two excellent albums.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #9551 on: May 06, 2021, 09:29:55 PM »

I'm really interested in the episodes to see how they went from Joey to John. I remember it obviously. I was a huge Armored Saint fan at the time.
Yeah.  I'm interested to see how if they let Joey explain any of it from his point of view.  Even though he's been back in the band on and off for the last 15 years, any time you hear him in interviews, there's still a hint of resentment and anger in his tone.  He sounds kinda like an outsider as opposed to a member of the band.  And, who knows?!?  Maybe he has been strictly a salaried employee since his return as opposed to a full member.  But, the 2 studio albums they've made with Joey in the last 10 years are really solid releases.  I also want to see if they totally erase Dan Nelson from the band history or if he gets a cursory mention.

I'm happy to see that Dan Spitz has been involved in the interviews, too.  I got to see that classic line-up in concert only once, when they got back together in 2005.  They recorded their Alive 2 album at venue about 10 miles from where I lived at the time.  The show was absolutely amazing and friggin' packed!  My wife ended up dropping me and my buddy off at the show so we didn't have to drive or worry about parking

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9552 on: May 07, 2021, 06:40:58 AM »
Continuing my Rush listen through and I'm onto Grace Under Pressure, I'm pretty confident this is their weakest album to my ears. Every time a new song started I saw a notification pop and I just kept thinking "Oh fuck not this song"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9553 on: May 07, 2021, 06:43:20 AM »
Moon Safari - Blomjud

Offline HOF

« Reply #9554 on: May 07, 2021, 07:27:41 AM »
Moon Safari - Blomjud

Love this album.