Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.6  (Read 475135 times)

Online nick_z

Re: What album are you listening to? v.6
« Reply #10815 on: August 30, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
Well, you could spend a few days reading this thread!
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55669.0

;D ;D

Ha! The OP sounds familiar  ;D Looks like that's a treasure trove of information. Good to know  :)

The 4 Paul Chapman albums are terrific. Stadler recommended Mechanix, but my pick of the 4 is easily The Wild The Willing And The Innocent. Paul's solo to close out Profession Of Violence is amazing.

They also did a couple of one off albums, both excellent, with other guitarists.

Of the 5 Vinnie Moore Era albums, I would recommend The Visitor. To me, it's the most consistently good, but they are all growers. Warning: the Vinnie albums are a Shred Free Zone. He displays some immaculate chops, but UFO goes gown a a path of a bluesy but heavier version of the Rolling Stones.
You Are Here, the first with Vinnie is also quite good too.

If you go on to do a little UFO exploratory run, chronicle it in the thread I posted. :)

Excellent, thank you. Like I said, I know the MS-era quite well, and know NOTHING of all other eras. I'll just have to find the time to explore...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10816 on: August 30, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »
Nice. Yes, there's a lot there. We did a Schenker Discography simultaneously, and Waysted as well. The Wasted albums are great!

Keep us up to date in the thread on your progress.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10817 on: August 30, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »
Nick, Tim made me a huge fan with that thread, well worth your time.  I knew a fair bit of the Vinnie era beforehand mainly because I liked Vinnie being a guitarist, but discovering both the Schenker stuff properly play Paul Chapman was a revelation.  Not to mention the return of Schenker.  I could never thank him enough for the music discovery that is UFO/Schenker.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10818 on: August 30, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10819 on: August 30, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10820 on: August 30, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
 :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #10821 on: August 30, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »

This is hilarious  :rollin

Well, the good news is that I'm already a pretty big fan of the Michael Schenker albums, so it should be fun to discover the rest. It might not happen right away, but it will, eventually  :)

My first ever UFO was Strangers in the Night - talk about starting with a bang. The reputation it has as a live album couldn't be more well-deserved. Of the non-"classic" era, I think Walk on Water is excellent too. Speaking of which, It's actually not 100% true I have all MS-era albums - I have never heard Covenant and Sharks...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10822 on: August 30, 2021, 05:43:29 PM »
Well, the good news is that I'm already a pretty big fan of the Michael Schenker albums, so it should be fun to discover the rest. It might not happen right away, but it will, eventually  :)

My first ever UFO was Strangers in the Night - talk about starting with a bang. The reputation it has as a live album couldn't be more well-deserved. Of the non-"classic" era, I think Walk on Water is excellent too. Speaking of which, It's actually not 100% true I have all MS-era albums - I have never heard Covenant and Sharks...

The classic lineup, which includes Raul Raymond and Andy Parker do have a magic that shines through on Walk On Water. They are both out of the band for Covenant and Sharks, with Ainsley Dunbar on drums for each, along with a session keyboard player.

Personally, I think Covenant is OUTSTANDING!!!

Strangers is fantastic. The Deluxe edition that came out last year with the 6 shows they recorded for the album is incredible.
We talk a lot about it in the thread. The Strangers trivia for you is, which two songs were not exactly live?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10823 on: August 30, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »
WOW is top 3 UFO.  Covenant is indeed excellent.  Was a massive grower for me but a damn good album.

Online nick_z

« Reply #10824 on: August 30, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »
The Strangers trivia for you is, which two songs were not exactly live?

Is this something that can be gleaned by listening to the album, or should I start digging in the thread?  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10825 on: August 30, 2021, 06:00:15 PM »
The Strangers trivia for you is, which two songs were not exactly live?

Is this something that can be gleaned by listening to the album, or should I start digging in the thread?  ;D

Well, if you haven't heard it yet... ;D

Yes, it's in the thread..

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10826 on: August 31, 2021, 05:13:08 AM »
Well, you could spend a few days WEEKS reading this thread!
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55669.0

Fix'd

;D ;D

I still have a tab open on my iPad with this thread ... I got logjammed at page 33.  I was reading the thread at least 1 hour a week to listen and follow along while I was on my exercise bike.  Then my workout routine changed, and I wasn't doing any cardio - and just couldn't find the time to put into this.  Plus, a lot of the albums weren't on Spotify, and listening to them on YT is a PITA.

One day I'll get back to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online nick_z

« Reply #10827 on: August 31, 2021, 07:40:29 AM »

This is VERY good! Didn't know the band...I'm reading they have incorporated more classic metal influences within their death-doom sound in this last album. I'll have to go back to their previous stuff too, but I enjoyed this one a lot  :tup