Author Topic: Soundcloud James LaBrie Interview - about an hour long!  (Read 2314 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Soundcloud James LaBrie Interview - about an hour long!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Anyone kind enough to transcribe the important stuff? ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »
Ha, was going to say the same. There isn't anyone, outside of maybe Jim Cornette, I care to listen to for a whole hour. I max out on my wife after about 45 minutes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
That was a really fun interview.  I had planned on just listening to a few minutes in the parking lot before going into a store, and wound up listening to the whole thing.  Nothing really new, but I found it interesting nonetheless. It's not a full hour because it starts with at least 5 minutes of intro and ends with Metropolis. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »
That was a really fun interview.  I had planned on just listening to a few minutes in the parking lot before going into a store, and wound up listening to the whole thing.  Nothing really new, but I found it interesting nonetheless. It's not a full hour because it starts with at least 5 minutes of intro and ends with Metropolis.

Agreed.  Really just a discussion about everything hardcore fans already know but in a very conversational way so it was fun to listen to.  Touched on auditioning and deciding a condition on his participation in the group was that he gets to stay in Canada.  His audition with the guys was the day Desert Storm broke out so it was surreal to be flying into NYC at that time.  Touches on September 11th and the release of LSFNY and being in NYC when that happened.  Since all flights were grounded for a few days he considered driving back to Canada to be with family but his wife encouraged him to stay and put his full effort into the album which he's glad he did because border crossings were going at a snails pace and it would have taken up to 12 hours.    He mentions that he has a really special place for SFAM (which I'm sure we all knew) but also 6DOIT which was a surprised to me.  He didn't expand on why which I wish the interviewer would have prodded a little more.  Talks a little bit about tuning down for the I&W&B tour.  Nothing too in depth.  Still a cool interview.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

Agreed.  Really just a discussion about everything hardcore fans already know but in a very conversational way so it was fun to listen to.  Touched on auditioning and deciding a condition on his participation in the group was that he gets to stay in Canada.  His audition with the guys was the day Desert Storm broke out so it was surreal to be flying into NYC at that time.  Touches on September 11th and the release of LSFNY and being in NYC when that happened.  Since all flights were grounded for a few days he considered driving back to Canada to be with family but his wife encouraged him to stay and put his full effort into the album which he's glad he did because border crossings were going at a snails pace and it would have taken up to 12 hours.    He mentions that he has a really special place for SFAM (which I'm sure we all knew) but also 6DOIT which was a surprised to me.  He didn't expand on why which I wish the interviewer would have prodded a little more.  Talks a little bit about tuning down for the I&W&B tour.  Nothing too in depth.  Still a cool interview.

Thanks for the summary!  :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
He also mentioned that he is aware that people on the internet (especially under youtube videos) constantly bash him for the vocal performances over the years. He even admitted that he has off nights, especially on I&W tour (he said it is because mostly due to his flu and constant touring without a big break)

He also said something important about food poisinning. He says it took years to recover and he still believes he never got his old shape of voice back ever but nonetheless try his best over the years.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »
He also mentioned that he is aware that people on the internet (especially under youtube videos) constantly bash him for the vocal performances over the years. He even admitted that he has off nights, especially on I&W tour (he said it is because mostly due to his flu and constant touring without a big break)

He also said something important about food poisinning. He says it took years to recover and he still believes he never got his old shape of voice back ever but nonetheless try his best over the years.
That would interest me. At what minute he talks about that?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
Yeah let's consult our minute by minute notes on the interview... :P

Or you could just listen to it... Maybe 10 minutes at a time.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »
Yeah let's consult our minute by minute notes on the interview... :P

Or you could just listen to it... Maybe 10 minutes at a time.
If it was transcribed, I'd gladly read. But I don't like to listen to an 1 hour audio interview. No patience.  :-\

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Regarding the food poisoning, as terrible as that was, I wonder how long he could have lasted if he kept singing as he did live in the early 90s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »

Glad to know he still tries his best despite all the comments against him. Sure, he struggles a lot to get to the high notes lately (in some cases/songs), but he's out there giving his 100% and I admire that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »
Regarding the food poisoning, as terrible as that was, I wonder how long he could have lasted if he kept singing as he did live in the early 90s.

That's a good point.  Perhaps he would have done MORE damage to his voice as many singers do when they sing in those extreme ranges. 

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 12:55:26 AM »

That's a good point.  Perhaps he would have done MORE damage to his voice as many singers do when they sing in those extreme ranges. 

What I think the food poisoning is not the main reason he lost his voice but kept on touring, doing extreme vocal tricks and especially random studio practice times for Awake recording season (which seems he radically changed his vocal style on that album.)

He mentioned that on the interview. How he went on touring against doctor's will because there was a big moment for James to shine, even he said he was mentally down and even started to think to quit the band the solutions was touring no matter what. He admitted he destroyed his voice much more by doing this. (because docs exactly said he should've waited at least 6 months to 1 year to recover.) He didn't especially say "I was so regret to tour with the guys after the incident" but I feel he was.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
Another good point!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 12:39:51 AM »
That was interesting. I never knew they tuned down slightly for the live stuff back in the early 90s.

I'm surprised the interviewer being such a big fan didn't know about the original Live Scenes From New York cover. 

The vocal rupture incident: I don't know how financially sound the band was during that time. I don't see how they could've continued touring without LaBrie. Imagine a doctor telling you not to work for 6 months.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 02:59:08 AM »
I think JLB is awesome. When I got to know DT, I always thought that he might be a little arrogant, but the more interviews I watched/listened to/read, the more sympathetic he came across to me. I was finally proven wrong when I met him at a meet and greet two years ago. He was very nice and polite, and even a bit chatty.

I feel bad for him about all the bad comments, and I hope that for live concerts DT will focus on material that he can sing better in the future.
any rock can be made to roll