Author Topic: Paul Gilbert is awesome  (Read 21386 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Paul Gilbert is awesome
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:19 AM »
Official video: Things Can Walk To You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ug1CimpiY

:metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2019, 10:51:56 PM »
PG is such a cool guy.  Gotta love his rock faces in this song.  Check out his To Be With You "cover" from Guitar Wars in Japan from 2007.  It's amazing.

It's taken me 30 years (???) but I finally nailed the intro for Green-Tinted Sixties Mind.  It sounds easier than it is.

I've always had the tools to do it but I'd quickly give up when I couldn't get 2nd half down and then I'd shelf it for a few years before trying again.

For whatever reason I finally just sacked-up and spent a few days practicing small bits over and over and over and over (repeating, of course) until I finally got it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2019, 08:10:08 AM »
PG is such a cool guy.  Gotta love his rock faces in this song.  Check out his To Be With You "cover" from Guitar Wars in Japan from 2007.  It's amazing.

It's taken me 30 years (???) but I finally nailed the intro for Green-Tinted Sixties Mind.  It sounds easier than it is.

I've always had the tools to do it but I'd quickly give up when I couldn't get 2nd half down and then I'd shelf it for a few years before trying again.

For whatever reason I finally just sacked-up and spent a few days practicing small bits over and over and over and over (repeating, of course) until I finally got it.

Nice man, I would love to watch you doing this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
I love his covers of I Feel Love and 2 Become 1....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
Nice man, I would love to watch you doing this.

Thanks, but I dunno.  I have no actual recording setup, just my phone, nothing like what all these Youtubers have.  I'll do some tests and see if doesn't sound like total ass.  :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »
Martin Miller & Paul Gilbert - Superstition (Stevie Wonder Cover) - Live in Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRh-7BJD2E

:metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2021, 08:55:48 AM »
GUITAR VIRTUOSO PAUL GILBERT CONTINUES TO RAISE THE BAR ON HIS 16TH SOLO ALBUM
‘WEREWOLVES OF PORTLAND’

Released: 4 June 2021
Via: The Players Club

Watch the video for "Argument About Pie" here:
https://youtu.be/MsC4KjMQVOw

Now he has his 16th solo studio album ready to prove to everyone that, astonishingly, this master continues to raise the bar on what he can achieve. With the international lockdown putting the world on hold, Gilbert decided to, rather than wait, he got on with playing all the instruments on the album himself. "It took me about six months to think of it, but it finally occurred to me that I could play all the instruments myself. I've always loved playing drums, and I can play bass and keyboards well enough to get the job done," he says.

Talking about the first song released from the album, he explains, "most of my titles come from the lyrics that I write in order to get a melody going. I've even printed the lyrics in the liner notes of the album, so you can 'read along' as you listen to the music. "'Argument About Pie' is one of my favourites. This lyric came from my pre-lockdown experiences of stopping by my local pie shop for a slice of strawberry rhubarb. Amidst all the brewing angst in Portland,
the pie shop was a place where everyone was happy and at peace. Eating pie seemed to be something that everyone could agree on. Since my mind has the habit of searching for contrasts, I started to wonder what people might be against eating pie."

Recorded at Opal Studio in Portland with co-producer and engineer Kevin Hahn, Gilbert pulled out some of his current favourite guitars for the job. "I mostly used my Ibanez Fireman guitars," he says. "I've been collecting vintage Ibanez guitars lately, too. I brought some models from the '70s, '80s, and '90s like the Ibanez Artist, Roadstar II and Ghostrider. I also brought and modified a '60s Epiphone Olympic. I used to play those in the early days of Racer X, so it was fun to have a guitar that reminded me of my early shredder style."

The album title's inspiration partly comes from the Warren Zevon song, "Werewolves Of London". "I live in Portland and thought it would be funny to substitute the name of my much lesser-known city. My original idea for the 'Werewolves' was just the guys in my band and me. When we play music, it is our version of 'howling at the moon'. Unfortunately, Portland has become more 'known' in the last year for events that are pretty sad to watch. And 'Werewolves' could take on other meanings that I certainly hadn't anticipated. But the title, to me, still has a musical meaning."

Gilbert is a formidable force. From his time in LA metallers Racer X to helping form Mr. Big, one of the era's most revered names. His distinguished solo career has seen him putting out 15 acclaimed records and has been asked to guest on albums from such diverse names as Todd Rundgren, Bowling For Soup, Glenn Hughes and MC Lars. He also toured with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci in 2007 (G3) and two years later with Richie Kotzen and George Lynch (Guitar Generation). This is not to mention a lengthy tenure as a much-in-demand teacher and instructor. This began when he was still a teenager, being hired in 1985 by the prestigious Guitar Institute Of Technology (GIT) in Los Angeles.

"I didn't become a musician to shout my ideas, complaints, or philosophies at anyone. I love music because of the music. So I love my method of using my inner rants as scaffolding to build melodies. This scaffolding can then be pulled away to unveil some pure emotional music. This works perfectly for me and hopefully for my listeners. "I need to be able to visualize the look and sound of my fretboard well enough to play accurately in my mind. It's almost like real air guitar! Then when I actually go to play the music, I've got a good chance of having my melodic intentions come true. And that's about the best feeling in the world."

Tracklist
1.      Hello North Dakota!
2.      My Goodness
3.      Werewolves Of Portland
4.      Professorship At The Leningrad Conservatory
5.      Argument About Pie
6.      Meaningful
7.      I Wanna Cry (Even Though I Ain’t Sad)
8.      A Thunderous Ovation Shook The Columns
9.      Problem-Solving People
10.    (You Would Not Be Able To Handle) What I Handle Everyday

Available Formats:
Red LP, CD Digipack and Digital

Paul Gilbert Online:
www.paulgilbert.com/
www.facebook.com/paulgilbertmusic/
twitter.com/PaulGilbertRock
www.instagram.com/paulgilbert_official/

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Gotta check this out!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
Paul Gilbert is awesome yes.

An amazing guitarist and not a trace of ego about him. He's like the even more silly Petrucci. I don't like his Ibanez Fireman though. It does look better in white however.

I generally hate all 'shredders' signature instruments.

The Phil Collen PC1 is fuck ugly and looks like a deformed Gibson SG

Gus G's weird Explorer *thing* is ugly AF

I don't mind the Petrucci JP models or the Majesties. ( Majesty's ? )...

Oh and I really hate Steve Vai's Jem and Pia guitars. I've never ever liked "Super Strats"...

Oh and Tosin Abasi's horrendous 8 string thing that looks like a surfboard... ***

Just give me a Fender Strat or Tele or a Gibson Les Paul any day.

How the hell can that be comfortable to play ? And people say Les Pauls have no upper range access.....  :rollin

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
About time. I remember getting emailed about this ages ago. Then it kind of dropped of the face of the earth and his website. Now, he's about ready to drop it. I have all of his albums, will pick this up. Even though I prefer his instrumental work more, I still enjoy his vocal stuff too.

Edit: Yes, I also find Paul's signature guitars to be ugly. Never liked them, but man can he play them. Even though I can't play a lick, I've always wanted to buy a Les Paul just to hang on the wall as art. Such a beautiful instrument.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2021, 10:10:11 AM »
I wanted a Les Paul from before I could even play at age 12. I always thought they were such a gorgeous design..

And I can't fathom why metalheads prefer gloss black slab body super strats with one exposed humbucker and one knob.

To me they have no aesthetic value whatsoever.

To me - this is my DREAM GUITAR. It's just Stunning. Not that I don't love my 2011 Trad Les Paul in Desert Burst !

If Epiphone bring out an Inspired by Gibson Silverburst LP Custom I will 100% get that.

I asked Epiphone if they were planning one on Twitter and the reply was simply " We promise....".

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2021, 03:25:52 PM »
I wanted a Les Paul from before I could even play at age 12. I always thought they were such a gorgeous design..

And I can't fathom why metalheads prefer gloss black slab body super strats with one exposed humbucker and one knob.

To me they have no aesthetic value whatsoever.

To me - this is my DREAM GUITAR. It's just Stunning. Not that I don't love my 2011 Trad Les Paul in Desert Burst !

If Epiphone bring out an Inspired by Gibson Silverburst LP Custom I will 100% get that.

I asked Epiphone if they were planning one on Twitter and the reply was simply " We promise....".

I could be wrong, but I went to a pawn shop in Florida right before COVID and they had two Epiphones that looked a LOT like that one, at least in terms of paint scheme.  I even decided I was going to go back and play one to see if it was worth getting, but then COVID shut the door on travel. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:18 PM »
I did an excellent interview with Paul yesterday... will post it here when it's published!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2021, 02:57:27 AM »
Here it is, guys: https://youtu.be/kVnnwHfO6Q4

I'm no Rick Beato or Doug Helvering, but I think this one came out great. If you can leave a comment on the video, that would be amazing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »

Something is very wrong here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »

Well, Phil is 'shredded', but I agree he's not really a shredder.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »

Haha, indeed.  Dude looks incredible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2021, 05:23:51 PM »

and wants the world to know

and won't be happy until everybody on the planet knows about it
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2021, 12:11:39 AM »

Lol and his vegan diet!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »

I'm no Rick Beato or Doug Helvering, but I think this one came out great. If you can leave a comment on the video, that would be amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and you don´t have to be Rick or Doug, I think you do a great job!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »

He seriously needs to put his shirt back on. Dump the ego and just play guitar!   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
Has anyone else heard his two albums this year?  Werewolves of Portland was pretty decent, though not up to the levels that some of his older albums have been.  'Twas just came out and is a Christmas album.  Nothing particularly special, just Paul running through a bunch of carols with a few minor twists and turns here and there.  I'm not digging his tone of late.  He's the type of guy you could say could make a 90s Line 6 Spyder sound good, but that almost sounds like what he's working with now.  It was still pretty good on Vibrato, but it just doesn't sound right on the last few albums. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and you don´t have to be Rick or Doug, I think you do a great job!

Thanks man!!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »
I love a Christmas album so looking forward to this but I absolutely refuse to play it until December 😁😁

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »
Has anyone else heard his two albums this year?  Werewolves of Portland was pretty decent, though not up to the levels that some of his older albums have been.  'Twas just came out and is a Christmas album.  Nothing particularly special, just Paul running through a bunch of carols with a few minor twists and turns here and there.  I'm not digging his tone of late.  He's the type of guy you could say could make a 90s Line 6 Spyder sound good, but that almost sounds like what he's working with now.  It was still pretty good on Vibrato, but it just doesn't sound right on the last few albums.

I didn’t mind WoP but yes, for a while now he’s been playing with a very dry tone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2021, 03:06:30 PM »

He seriously needs to put his shirt back on. Dump the ego and just play guitar!  :lol

He's not that good though, so he needs something to show off with.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2021, 06:12:45 PM »

He seriously needs to put his shirt back on. Dump the ego and just play guitar!  :lol

He's not that good though, so he needs something to show off with.

He's good, just not on the same league as other players. With that said, some of my friends who saw his show with G3 said it was surprisingly good.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2021, 03:26:24 PM »
I remember his playing back in the Racer X days.  Awesome shreds. :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
He's good, just not on the same league as other players. With that said, some of my friends who saw his show with G3 said it was surprisingly good.

It's funny, he's the opposite of George Lynch, who thinks he's not good enough to hang with them, but he is.  Maybe not quite the same chops, but his feel makes up for it. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »
On 7th April 2023, Paul Gilbert will be releasing an album celebrating one of heavy metal’s greatest icons when he releases The Dio Album via Music Theories Recordings/Mascot Label Group. To get a taster check out Gilbert’s mesmeric take on “Holy Diver” here: https://youtu.be/su06ibXGvVQ  .

You can pre-order the album here: https://lnk.to/PaulGilbert

It was pure chance that led Paul Gilbert to recording the music heard on latest release The Dio Album. The American guitar virtuoso, best known for his masterful fretwork in chart-topping hard rockers Mr. Big and high-octane trailblazers Racer X – as well as numerous solo records – was in his car when he saw something that made his heart start beating faster in a moment of unexpected, unadulterated joy. This was not a high value item of interest or even particularly rare, simply a baseball cap with the word ‘Dio’ emblazoned across the front. Sometimes, even for the biggest of guitar legends, it’s the little things that hit us in the most profound ways.

On his drive home, a plan was being formulated. Why not capture all of that raw energy and excitement on an album devoted to Ronnie James Dio’s most celebrated tracks – spanning across his career from Rainbow to Black Sabbath and the singer’s own solo endeavours? Gilbert is no stranger to instrumental music, but an entire album dedicated to replicating well established and world-famous vocal melodies on his trusty six-string genuinely felt like new territory. This was already shaping up to be a challenge that he would truly relish.

It would be fair to say human voices don’t come much more magical than Ronnie James Dio’s. He was a man who brought a sense of classical finesse to loud and heavy music, ultimately laying down the blueprint for generations and generations of rock singers to come. Taking on the daunting challenge of mimicking those distinguished vocal lines down to a tee – each legendary performance decorated with its own idiosyncrasies and nuances – actually involved unlearning some of the technical precision that turned Gilbert into a household name for guitar players in the first place.

The Dio Album consists of 10 standout and career-defining tracks, from “Neon Knights” and “Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll” to “Holy Diver” and “Man On The Silver Mountain”. As well as analysing Ronnie James Dio’s electrifying vocal melodies, Paul also enjoyed paying tribute to three incredibly talented guitar legends – Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, Ritchie Blackmore of Rainbow and Vivian Campbell from the Dio band, who has been a member of British stadium rockers Def Leppard since 1992.

“Playing all these metal riffs like “Stand Up And Shout”, “Neon Knights” and “Kill The King” gave me serious chills,” grins Paul. “The guitar parts of Ritchie, Tony and Vivian brought no small number of goosebumps.” “These amazing riffs are the steel girders of the songs, upon which everything else rests,” smiles Paul. “It had been a while since I’d been this deep into metal rhythm guitar playing, and it felt like I was digging up gold nuggets of fire with a magic platinum shovel. All while wearing a star-covered wizard hat! The guitar solos in these songs came screaming from distant mountaintops. Ritchie, Tony, and Vivian set the standard breathtakingly high.”

Engineered by Zach Bloomstein with Paul handling all of the instrumentation, save for Bill Ray’s inspired drum work, The Dio Album is undoubtedly the most sonically accurate tribute to the songs that made Ronnie James Dio a bona fide rock and roll legend. In order to truly hone in on the late singer’s essence, Paul Gilbert dissected many of the melodies line by line, throwing every inch of himself into the music. It was the only way to capture every ounce of the energy and emotion.

“Just like he sang: ‘The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams... it’s Heaven and Hell!’ Thank you, Ronnie, and long live rock and roll.”

Tracklist
1. Neon Knights
2. Kill The King
3. Stand Up And Shout
4. Country Girl
5. Man On The Silver Mountain
6. Holy Diver
7. Heaven And Hell
8. Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll
9. Lady Evil
10. Don’t Talk To Strangers
11. Starstruck
12. The Last In Line

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
 can almost hear Dio's voice through that guitar  :hefdaddy  :metal

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
I'll give that a listen.  Missed opportunity on drums, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2023, 02:56:54 PM »
Nice deep cut of Country Girl.  Would have loved Over and Over or Lonely is the Word but should be an interesting listen.