Author Topic: Remembering Flyleaf  (Read 1003 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Remembering Flyleaf
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
I had forgotten about this band until a video popped up this weekend that made me think about them again. 

I can't remember how I first head about them, but it was during their first album cycle.  I picked up a copy and instantly liked it.  They aren't the most technical or most talented band.  But the songs are top notch, and there is just such an honest intensity to their music on that album that made me love it.  I popped the album in yesterday during a drive and it brought tears to my eyes several times.  I just love the lyrical content as well as Lacey's delivery in general. 

I have their next two albums as well, but those didn't click for me like the first one did.  Too bad.  The band seems to have done reasonably well though, so good for them.  And Lacey seems to be in a pretty good place, which is incredible and admirable given her life story.

Anyhow, not really expecting much discussion on a band like this here, but just wanted to express my appreciation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Remembering Flyleaf
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
A long time ago I dated a girl who was huge into them. They were all right, not really my thing. I think I saw them open for Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin like 8 years ago (took my brother to the show for BB). They did put on a good live show.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »
Love their first EP. I actually prefer the EP versions of the songs compared to the cleaned up versions they did on the first album.

Memento Mori was okay, but not great. New Horizons was much better. I even enjoyed the last album with the new singer. Unfortunately, she quit because she was tired of the fanbase ragging on her that she wasn't Lacey.

Lacey's solo album, Life Screams, is a freaking awesome record. One of my tops of 2016. Really hoping for a follow-up that is in the same vein.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »
Lacey's solo album, Life Screams, is a freaking awesome record. One of my tops of 2016. Really hoping for a follow-up that is in the same vein.

Really?  It wasn't even on my radar.  I'll have to check it out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
I heard Lacey's Life Screams album back when it was released.  There's some pretty beautiful sounding songs there like Life Screams and Run to You.  I also liked "You're Not Alone" and the album, but I wouldn't say it was in the upper echelon of great albums in 2016 to me (but 2016 was an insanely great year for me listening to music and albums).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
I recall Fair to Midland did a tour with them, but the show that was scheduled for Minnesota got canceled.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
I had a girlfriend who was into them, so I listened to the first album and I liked it. Like Bosk said, there was a honest intensity in their music and lyrics. I will listen to the album later today, I haven't listened to it in years.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »
She is doing a show here on Saturday. Don't think I'll make it, but her stuff with Flyleaf was awesome.

"IM SO SICK"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD