Author Topic: Best intro?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Best intro?
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
Thinking about this more, Van Halen seems to be the master of the intro. So much so that when you think of a Van Halen song, most likely the good musical idea you would remember is in the intro.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
Tesla - Love Song, Heavens Trail.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose

Van Halen - Mean street

DT - Breaking All Illusions

Queensryche- Anarchy -/ Revolution Calling, Suite Sister Mary (voice over and intro - same with Needle Lies)

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose

too funny... I was considering calling out both of these on my post.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
Dream Theater-The Glass Prison
Haken-Celestial Elixir
Boston-Foreplay/Longtime
Dragonforce-My Spirit Will Go On
Bullet For My Valentine-Your Betrayal
Gojira-Flying Whales
Avenged Sevenfold-Exist
Metallica-Battery
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 03:45:08 AM »
Genesis - Watcher Of The Skies
(For the song and the album)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:19 AM »
Tom Sawyer

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond is shite, and the Wish You Were Here album is the biggest musical case of the Emperor's new clothes imaginable

My answer, as it often is, is Big Balls by ACDC

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 07:30:25 AM »

too funny... I was considering calling out both of these on my post.   :tup

Put in another vote for Bat Out Of Hell for me, also add in I'd Do Anything For Love as well.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 08:28:34 AM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond is shite, and the Wish You Were Here album is the biggest musical case of the Emperor's new clothes imaginable

You basically call Wish You Were here shit and mention a song called Big Balls right after that? You must be joking.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »

:umno:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

You basically call Wish You Were here shit and mention a song called Big Balls right after that? You must be joking.

Big Balls is a great song. Wish You Were Here is a bunch of meandering wankery, and I say that as a fan of Pink Floyd. That album is just trash

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
I am a big Floyd fan, and will concede I never cared much for Wish You Were Here and don't get all the hype and love. WttM and HaG have never been high up on my Floyd song rankings either.

But SoyCD is a masterpiece in every way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline romdrums

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
Genesis - Watcher Of The Skies
(For the song and the album)

Yes!!

A few of my faves:
Meshuggah- Future Breed Machine
Faith No More- The Real Thing
Fates Warning- Leave the Past Behind
Genesis- Dance on a Volcano
Karnivool- Goliath
Marillion-Gazpacho, Invisible Man, Splintering Heart
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
Dream Theater-The Glass Prison
Haken-Celestial Elixir
Boston-Foreplay/Longtime
Dragonforce-My Spirit Will Go On
Bullet For My Valentine-Your Betrayal
Gojira-Flying Whales
Avenged Sevenfold-Exist
Metallica-Battery

Yes!! The beginning gets my blood pumping so hard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Here's one I have always enjoyed:

Kansas - Song For America
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline T-ski

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
has anyone said Metropolis Pt. 1?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
has anyone said Metropolis Pt. 1?

Yes.   Some dude named T-ski.

Offline max_security

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
Judas Priest " Hellion ". I wonder why they never wrote anything else like that ?
Iron Maiden " Where Eagles Dare " that drum intro being the first that we heard of the new drummer at the time , Nicko.
Alcatrazz " Incubus " Into to Side B of No Parole
Tony MacAlpine The Chopin piano piece that he does on Edge of Insanity
Yankee Rose especially the video " gimmie a glazed donut and a bottle of anything...TO GO "

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »
I love Metropolis Pt.1, but honestly the sounds on that intro sound a little dated to me...

I would like to add The Revealing Science Of God by Yes. The restored CD version though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »

Big Balls is a great song. Wish You Were Here is a bunch of meandering wankery, and I say that as a fan of Pink Floyd. That album is just trash

Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure
They're the balls that I like best

That’s poetry right there  :biggrin:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
A lot of great intros here, I definitely recommend checking these two out:

dredg - Lechium (such a great build up to an amazing song)
dredg - Triangle (Perfect intro for the song, a real motherfucker to play on guitar)

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 06:30:47 AM »
Not counting classical or film scores:

Rush - Tom Sawyer, YYZ
Yes - Roundabout, Siberian Khatru, Close to the Edge, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Leave It
Taylor Swift - Style, Look What You Made Me Do
Demi Lovato - Confident
Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling, Run Away With Me
Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Age of Vulture Culture, Jigsaw Hustle, Voodoo Mon Amour, A Tap Dancer's Dilemma, Balrog Boogie, etc.
Dream Theater - Octavarium, The Count of Tuscany, On the Backs of Angels, Bridges in the Sky, Lost Not Forgotten, A Nightmare to Remember, The Shattered Fortress, The Best of Times, The Dark Eternal Night, Panic Attack, Stream of Consciousness, This Dying Soul, etc.
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Snarky Puppy - Tio Maccaco
Gojira - Stranded, Silvera, L'Enfant Sauvage
Juno Reactor - Navras, War Dogs, Pistolero
Nightwish - Creek Mary's Blood, The Greatest Show on Earth, Dead to the World, Dark Chest of Wonders
Epica - The Holographic Principle, The Essence of Silence
Ayreon - Everybody Dies, Day 11: Love, Day 16: Loser, Run Apocalypse! Run!, River of Time
Camel - Freefall, Lady Fantasy
ELP - Tarkus
Ne Obliviscaris - And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope
Haken - Streams
Lapsley - Operator
ABBA - Voulez Vous, Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, Gimme Gimme Gimme! A Man After Midnight, Money Money Money, Does Your Mother Know, etc.
Adele - Rolling in the Deep, Rumour Has It, I Miss You, Skyfall
The Algorithm - Trojans
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box, Phantom Limb, Stone
Alter Bridge - Blackbird, One by One
The Anchoress - What Goes Around, One for Sorrow
Animals as Leaders - CAFO
Anneke van Giersbergen - Drive
ARK - Just a Little
Unitopia - The Garden
Blind Guardian - Fly
Between the Buried and Me - Memory Palace
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Money
Incubus - Pendulous Threads, Anna Molly, Southern Girl, Drive, Beware! Criminal, Love Hurts, Absolution Calling, Follow (1st Movement of the Odyssey), When it Comes, Clean, etc.
Muse - Survival, Supremacy, Panic Station, Take a Bow, Hoodoo, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, City of Delusion, Uprising, United States of Eurasia, The Globalist, Reapers, Citizen Erased, Space Dementia, etc.

That's all I can be bothered to list right now. There's just so many songs with really, really good intros...

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2018, 06:43:35 AM »
Incubus has some other really great intros like "Redefine" and "Just a Phase"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Dream Theater - Octavarium

That intro -- at least until Jordan switches to the steel guitar and starts playing the main Octavarium theme -- is utterly tedious and I pretty much always FFWD through it.  I'd be totally ok if he packed up his Continuum and Keytar and we never saw either again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »

That intro -- at least until Jordan switches to the steel guitar and starts playing the main Octavarium theme -- is utterly tedious and I pretty much always FFWD through it.  I'd be totally ok if he packed up his Continuum and Keytar and we never saw either again.
I love the intro to Octavarium!  It sets the mood with atmospheric tones that puts me in a different world. Its remeniscent of Shine on you crazy Diamond at first and takes it to the next level when the continuum and steel guitar parts kick in.  That song is a good representation of what Dream Theater is all about..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »

I love the intro to Octavarium!  It sets the mood with atmospheric tones that puts me in a different world. Its remeniscent of Shine on you crazy Diamond at first and takes it to the next level when the continuum and steel guitar parts kick in.  That song is a good representation of what Dream Theater is all about..

Yeah, I freaking love Octavarium, but the intro, man. That is magical. Score version rules too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »

Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure
They're the balls that I like best

That’s poetry right there  :biggrin:

I actually find it to be a surprisingly moving song

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

Yeah, I freaking love Octavarium, but the intro, man. That is magical. Score version rules too.

The Score version is like twice as long -- and, hence, twice as boring!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »

YES!

Upon a quick skim, I didn't notice the following 80s gems

Welcome to the Jungle

Kickstart My Heart

Panama

This is supreme taste right here!  I totally get hyped when I hear the intro to these (except where I am WTTJ gets played so much on the radio it sort of gets old.)