Author Topic: Stadler's Name The One Song That Encapsulates Everything 'Bout Your Fav Band  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
as a musicologist, I'm inclined to say it is
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Rush -- Marathon
Steven Wilson - TRTRTS
Marillion - Neverland
Kansas - The Wall
Haken - Crystallised
Yes - And You and I
Spock's Beard - Crack The Big Sky
Pineapple Thief - The state We're In.
Iron Maiden - Revelations
Dream Theater -- Octavarium
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ChuckSteak

Anathema --> Untouchable
David Maxim Micic --> Where Is Now?
Devin Townsend --> Funeral or Color Your World
King Crimson --> 21st Century Schizoid Man
LTE --> When The Water Breaks (or the Levee... who knows. :) )
Porcupine Tree --> The Start Of Something Beautiful
Some pretty solid choices here, although I'd have gone with Blackest Eyes or Russia On Ice, as they encompass both the soft and heavier sides of the band.

Some personal choices:

Massive Attack - Group Four
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Destroying Angels
Air - All I Need
Portishead - Roads
Burial - Loner
Infected Mushroom - Heavyweight or Becoming Insane
Talk Talk - John Cope
I could've picked lots of Porcupine Tree songs. Blackest Eyes and Russia On Ice would fit too, for sure. It is hard when you can only pick one song. Usually you would pick your favorite song and The Start Of Something Beautiful is one of my favorites.

I only have listened to Portishead - Third so far. I've heard their previous albums are horrorosos, dà horror. Should I try them?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Haken - Crystallised
Yes - And You and I

I disagree with all of these, I would pick Celestial Elixir or Aquarium for Haken, Close to the Edge for Yes and The Light for Spock's Beard.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haken - Crystallised
Yes - And You and I

I disagree with all of these, I would pick Celestial Elixir or Aquarium for Haken, Close to the Edge for Yes and The Light for Spock's Beard.

We all have our thoughts on what defines a band.  Certain songs connect us to these bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

These aren’t necessary my favorite songs by these artists (well two of them are), but I think these songs perfectly showcase what these bands are about.

Dream Theater-Octavarium
Metallica-Creeping Death
Avenged Sevenfold-A Little Piece of Heaven
Pantera-Domination
Sum 41-Still Waiting
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I only have listened to Portishead - Third so far. I've heard their previous albums are horrorosos, dà horror. Should I try them?
Third isn't very representative of the band - it's a very krautrock-ish, heavily experimental record, while their first two albums are more electronic and sample-based, taking some inspiration from hip-hop and dub and spy movies instead. Dummy is a classic, and actually a pretty warm record, but their self-titled is certainly dark with some strong noir vibes. I wouldn't say they're scary at all tho (they ain't Scott Walker's The Drift), give them a try :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Haken - Crystallised
Yes - And You and I

We all have our thoughts on what defines a band.  Certain songs connect us to these bands.

Certainly, I just thought those were interesting picks, all three songs that I wouldn't pick for the purpose of this thread.
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 I have long stories and why those songs connect with me. Especially the Yes song. 9 year old King fell in love with And You And I when my cousin got that album. It's always been my go-to and reminds me of why I love Yes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For Rush, I'd say 1a and 1b are Spirit of Radio and Natural Science. 

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons.  The one element that Octavarium is missing is that truly HEAVY guitar riff.  Otherwise, they both have everything - key solo, guitar solos, key/guitar unison arpeggios, instrumental wank-fest, tasty bass licks, soaring vocals, and drum fills all over the place - and of course, 20+ minutes.

Led Zeppelin - Gotta lean with Achilles Last Stand
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion