Author Topic: Stadler's Name The One Song That Encapsulates Everything 'Bout Your Fav Band  (Read 3213 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Awesome idea for a thread that Stadler told WildRanger to post, which I then swooped in to make because it needs to be a thing right meow, cause I think we'll get some great answers. While I have no doubt we'll see some of the usual stuff, we might well get some offbeat answers and maybe find some new bands and songs.

Now, maybe Stad can explain his own version of what "best encapsulates" means in this sense but I think it'd be a mixture of both showing what the band does best throughout their discography in one song, as well as showing how they do it; maybe even something that this one song does differently than some of their other songs but screams that band's one special aspect more than others. The example in the original description of the thread was Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven (which I agree with). It's a song that if someone has heard the name of the band, they will undoubtedly know the song, and some people even know the song without knowing the band (or similarly, know the song and band but know only this song, which probably happens the most with people who aren't technically "fans" of the band).

Maybe it's not your favorite song, or your most listened to, but what is the one song that fully encompass and best encapsulates your favorite band?

I'll start things off with my favorite band of the moment, The Contortionist. The song that best encapsulates everything that the band is has to be Flourish. It's not my personal favorite song by them, but it's a song that has everything that the band does best all tied up neatly in one song. With their newest album, they've taken the growling and screaming out but since it's the only album that they're not present, for now I'll consider it a one off album till their next releases. It's got tons of melodic and more slower paced and gorgeous moments, but has tons of really great growling and one of the best solos I've ever heard. It's a song that if someone asked me what to listen to so they could see what a band is about, I'd immediately point them to Flourish. It also has one of the most popular lyrics from the band that they've plastered on a shirt as well - "Elapse. Evolve. Expand. Adapt". It's simplistic and the gravity of the lyrics are magnified in the song itself (preceded by "Time is moving forward") and the way they're said is equally goosebump inducing. Then when the harshness and blistering drums and guitars are coming to a head, one of the most dreamy and emotional solos creeps in and then I cry.

There is mine for now. My favorite band tends to change so I'm sure I'll post another in a week or so if the thread keeps up. Thanks to Stad for the command to make the thread!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MirrorMask

I've heard that song a gazillion times since 1995 when I got into them, and I always heard it at their concert save but two, so it's not that I'm dying to go through it right now or even until the next concert but.... I think I should offer up Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Really, if you don't like that song, Iron Maiden is not for you.

Second choice, The Trooper. The gallop, the singalong part, Bruce's soaring vocals, even the single artwork... this is a song that I never get tired of hearing live and that has everything that make Iron Maiden, well, Iron Maiden.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Idioglossia by Pain of Salvation has literally everything that makes the band good in it and is thus one of my favorite songs ever. That's the one that comes to mind instantly.

Or Cotard by The Hirsch Effekt, though that one ironically mostly lacks the band's harsh vocals. But basically everything else about the band's core sound is present there.

For Oceansize I have a hard time thinking of any one song though. Trail of Fire Maybe? Or Silent/Transparent? I dunno, they have a lot of different styles between standard prog rock, post-rock stuff, and some heavier stuff too, it's hard to find any real middle ground song for them  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
If anyone's asking, TioJorge nailed the premise perfectly.  Nothing to add, whatsoever.

For me:

The Beatles:  A Day In The Life
Marillion:  Heart of Lothian (the length, the keyboard solo, the guitar figure, the personal Scottish lyrics...)
Iron Maiden:  MirrorMask nailed it with Hallowed Be Thy Name
Yes:  Heart Of The Sunrise

I have a couple I'm struggling with: 
Black Sabbath:  I'm leaning to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Ozzy) and Heaven and Hell (Dio)
Genesis:   Leaning to "One For The Vine", but I may go with "Me And Sarah Jane", because it's the best mix of prog and pop
Kiss:  F me.  Shout It Out Loud?   Not enough sex though; King Of The Nighttime World?
Rush:  Not Tom Sawyer; maybe Red Barchetta.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Guns N' Roses: Estranged
Stratovarius: Elysium
Rhapsody: From Chaos To Eternity
Sonata Arctica: White Pearl, Black Oceans
Randy Newman: (very tough, maybe impossible, so I'm picking several) Dixie Flyer / Political Science / Feels Like Home
Toto: (also nearly impossible) Hydra / Rosanna / Orphan / Bottom of Your Soul
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline DTA

I'll name two for Coheed & Cambria since they have what I consider two archetypes they more or less follow - The Crowing and The Suffering.

The Crowing has heavy riffs, with extremely catchy vocals and an unusual structure that doesn't really repeat or return to previous parts besides the initial verse/chorus/verse/chorus. They've tended towards more standard pop song structures recently, but this song runs the gamut of everything that makes them unique, plus it has an epic anthemic vocal part at the end which is signature Coheed.

The Suffering is your typical pop-punkish sounding Coheed song that makes heavy use of background vocals and contains straightforward yet somehow still interesting guitar parts, plus the chorus is one the catchiest things I've ever heard.

They also do acoustic songs and Pink Floydish sounding songs that rely more on space and ambience, but they're not too common.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Man, Flourish is just the perfect Contortionist song, that post-rock section in the middle is soooo good. Fully agree with you on that one.

I have a hard time even pointing out what my favourite band is, but I usually turn to Between the Buried and Me, The Dear Hunter or The Mars Volta.

BTBAM: Their sound range is almost too big to really point at one song that encapsulates most, but it would probably have to be Silent Flight Parliament, Specular Reflection or Swim to the Moon.

The Mars Volta: Easy. Day of the Baphomets.

The Dear Hunter: Either A Night on the Town, The Lake and the River or Mustard Gas. Just like BTBAM it's tough to pick since their sound varies so much. Gonna probably have to go with Mustard Gas since it includes the dramatic side of TDH, the epicness and a lot of quirkiness.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The Who: Behind Blue Eyes. Melodic guitar from Pete, that, in the blink of an eye, ramps up and punches you in the face; brilliant lyrics; powerful vocals by Roger; Keith punishing the drums; and John anchoring it all with thundering bass. All in 3-1/2 minutes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Since I can't do a 'favourite' band, here's multiple:

Leprous - Forced Entry
There's not really a surprise here, I think. It's funny that the band's logest song is actually the one that I think encapsulates them the best. Although this might in the future shift more towards a song like Mirage, this is Leprous doing what Leprous does best. It's melodic, it's heavy, it features great clean vocals, as well as Einar Solberg's trademark (or are they still?) screams. It's 'proggy', but not for the sake of being proggy, and it's a fan-favourite, both on and off-stage.

Ulver - The Future Sound of Music
I realise this is a weird pick, since Ulver are the definition of a band that doesn't follow a style, but allow me to explain. Sonically, this band has done about everything there is to do; from minimalistic acoustic music, to modern classical, to improvisation-inspired drone music, to psychedelica, avant-garde and black metal. Yet I'm choosing this song from their trip-hop magnum opus 'Perdition City' as the one that encapsulates their sound. Why? Because I believe that Ulver has pretty mu8ch perfected everything they have done on all their releases, yet they still remain very recognisable. With every release, there's a hint of experimentalism and I believe this particular song captures that best, for 'Perdition City' is not your 'average' trip-hop album, you can actually hear the hints of their black metal past in it's subdued heaviness that's let loose in the final two minutes of this track. I have never heard anything like it, and that's the beauty of Ulver's music. It all starts out familiar, but the band manages to make their songs so much their own, that I can't imagine any other band doing it. This track is a testament to that, and probably a personal penchant of mine, as I consider it the greatest thing they have done.

Spock's Beard - The Light
There's not a single other band, and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find one, that completely NAILED their own sound in the first song on the debut album. Apart from having never topped their very first track, it's also stood the test of time ridiculously well, as it's stylistically similar to stuff the band released more than twenty years later. It's progressive, it's quirky, it's got weird lyrics, it's melodic, it's soft, it's heavy, it's funky, it's funny, The Light is a modern progressive rock classic and shows exactly what this band is all about. The band has released songs later that I could mention for the sake of this thread, but their first remains the best.

The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini
Sorry Train, but this song is a fucking masterpiece and that's why I chose this one over all their other tracks.

Opeth - Any of these five:
- The Drapery Falls
Opeth are the band that got me into growls and it was this specific song that made it work for me. Their sound, of highly melodic, texturised metal, combining beautiful clean vocals with hellish growls (both the voice of one man) is so remarkable, that I could hypothetically pick out Opeth songs if I had never heard them. Their guitar parts are unique in the sense that they don't necesarily rely on traditional riffing, but more on building up layers of heaviness. Occasionally when they do riff, it's instantly recognisable as Opeth though. I picked this song, as well as the other 4 below, because they show Opeth at their best: combining melodic acoustic passages, with heavy (death) metal, intertwining the clean vocals and growls. Also, most of what I'm writing here is pretty much applicable to all the other songs below. I just couldn't choose one.
- The Lotus Eater
This song is just ridiculously good and about 4-5 minutes shorter than all the others songs mentioned here, so it's probably doing a better job and encompassing the band's sound in a short time.
- Deliverance
Live staple with a ridiculously catchy ending. Awesome stuff.
- Harlequin Forest
A bit less catchy ending, but more melodic yet just as heavy as the previous track.
- The Moor
I had to throw something 'odd' in. Probably one of the most difficult songs Opeth has ever written and therefore not really one that encapsulates all the band are about, yet it still does contain all the aspects that make Opeth great.
(bonus) - The Grand Conjuration
plug.dj-users will know why
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
No one called me out for not mentioning this band the first time but here we go  :corn

East of the Wall - Linear Failure
Great riffs and grooves, some lovely clean bits & soloing, intense heavy moments, basically shows off what the band has to offer in a concise 5 minute package

Also I'd do Thrice too but that's like impossible lol. Maybe At the Last? I dunno.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
The Ocean - Roots and Locusts

The first song I heard from the band, and still one of the best ever.

Also, not my favorite, but DragonForce - Through The Fire and Flames pretty much sums up the band.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
DragonForce - Through The Fire and Flames

lol, this is a fantastic pick indeed
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Ocean - Roots and Locusts

The first song I heard from the band, and still one of the best ever.

Also, not my favorite, but DragonForce - Through The Fire and Flames pretty much sums up the band.

I hate to agree, but this is pretty spot on. Honestly, though, a few years ago, I would've said Valley of the Damned. Unfortunately, they've adopted a more generic sound, so TTFAF feels more fitting.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Nah the definitive Dragonforce song is
SO FAR AWAAYYY

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
that's the same one, dude.
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Actually in all seriousness I'd say Above the Winter Moonlight encompasses everything about DF to me. One of their top tier songs and it doesn't sound like everything else.

DF rules, recognize  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
This is ridiculously hard.

Queensrÿche (Original Lineup) - (tie) Roads to Madness/Screaming in Digital. Both in my top-10 from the band. Roads epitomizes Queensryche to me. Moody, heavy, deep vocals, high vocals, drama, intrigue, it really hits the nail on the head. I throw Digital in there, because it really showcases the way DeGarmo and Wilton work off one another, guitar-wise. So if I had to show people why I loved this era of the band, I'd give them both songs, and just say, take 15 minutes, and you'll get me, musically.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry Train, but this song is a fucking masterpiece and that's why I chose this one over all their other tracks.

I came in here to say exactly this and refute Train.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think this is a good thread idea, if only people would post some bands in here that I don't know. It's potentially a great way to easily discover new music! :)
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
HBTN by Iron Maiden immediately came to mind as others have stated

Surprised no one brought up DT, but I'd say Metropolis Pt1 might be the song that fits this.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Surprised no one brought up DT, but I'd say Metropolis Pt1 might be the song that fits this.

Well, bringing up DT here is not really necessary I think, but I would say Metropolis Pt. 1 as well.
Squ

Offline ChuckSteak

Alice Cooper --> Blue Turk
Anathema --> Untouchable
Änglagård --> Höstsejd
Art Zoyd --> La Ville
Ayreon --> Day Five: Voices
Beardfish --> Sleeping In Traffic
Big Black --> Kerosene
Black Sabbath --> Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Bubu --> El Cortejo De Un Día Amarillo
Camel --> La Princesse Perdue
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band --> Frownland
Cardiacs --> Dirty Boy
Comus --> Drip Drip
Current 93 --> The Bloodbells Chime
David Maxim Micic --> Where Is Now?
Deep Purple --> Pictures Of Home
Devil Doll --> ANY SONG
Devin Townsend --> Funeral or Color Your World
Dream Theater --> Learning To Live (The LSFNY version)
ELP --> Tarkus
Estradashere --> Hunger Strike
Faust --> Why Don't You Eat Carrots
Focus --> Hamburger Concerto
Frank Zappa --> Brown Shoes Don't Make It
Gentle Giant --> The Runaway
Glenn Branca --> The Ascension
Gorguts --> Earthly Love
Grand Funk Railroad --> Inside Looking Out
Guapo --> Five Suns II
Haken --> Aquarium
Harmonium --> Histoires Sans Paroles
Hiromi Uehara --> Time Out
Iron Maiden --> Murders In The Rue Morgue
Jeff Buckley --> Lover, You Should've Come Over
Jethro Tull --> Minstrel In The Gallery
Jimi Hendrix --> Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
Joni Mitchell --> Cactus Tree
Kayo Dot --> The Manifold Curiosity or The Mortality Of Doves
King Crimson --> 21st Century Schizoid Man
Kyuss --> Spaceship Landing
Led Zeppelin --> When The Levee Breaks
Leprous --> Chronic
LTE --> When The Water Breaks (or the Levee... who knows. :))
Magma --> De Futura
Major Parkinson --> Impermanence
Maudlin Of The Well --> Heaven And Weak
Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses --> Gypsy Funeral - Hark! From The Tombs Of Doleful Sound
Miriodor --> Les Passants
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds --> Jangling Jack
Nick Drake --> Fruit Tree
Nina Simone --> Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
Opeth --> The Moor
Pain Of Salvation --> Beyond The Pale
Pekka Pohjola --> Strange Awakening
Pink Floyd --> Echoes
Porcupine Tree --> The Start Of Something Beautiful
Present --> Promenade Au Fond D'Un Canal
Renaissance --> At The Harbour
Riverside --> Living In The Past
Rory Gallagher --> I Fall Apart
Rush --> Jacob's Ladder
Samla Mammas Manna --> Dundrets Fröjder
Santana --> Song Of The Wind
Screamin' Jay Hawkins --> I Am The Cool
Shub-Niggurath --> Incipit Tragaedia
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum --> The Companions
Spirogyra --> Magical Mary
The Beatles --> A Day In The Life
The Doors --> When The Music's Over
The Residents --> The Walrus Hunt
The Spacious Mind --> To Earth With Love
The Who --> Baba O' Riley
Thinking Plague --> Les Etudes D'Organism
Tom Waits --> Jitterbug Boy
Transatlantic --> Suite Charlotte Pike (Especially the Live In Europe)
Univers Zéro --> Combat
VDGG --> Pilgrims
Voivod --> Jack Luminous
Yes --> The Gates Of Delirium

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Love love love that song. One of my all time favorite Alice tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, bringing up DT here is not really necessary I think, but I would say Metropolis Pt. 1 as well.

Of course it's not necessary but it's a DT board so was surprised no one picked a song from them yet.

Offline ChuckSteak

Love love love that song. One of my all time favorite Alice tracks.
Me too. And unfortunately it has never been played live. Nobody even mentions it. It is totally forgotten.  :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't know if I could pick ONE song that encapsulates Alice Cooper.

Good to see the classic Alice love, bro!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

Favorite Band - Dream Theater
Song - A Change of Seasons

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
That’s some ... interestjng choices, ChuckSteak
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach

I came in here to say exactly this and refute Train.
L'via and Cassandra Gemini are easily my favourite Mars Volta tracks, I just think Day of the Baphomets encapsulates the band very well in about half the time.

Also Hypno5e - East Shore: In Our Deaf Lands
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh i missed an obvious one:

Intronaut - Fast Worms

yeah this just has everything the band has to offer, some real fire, some great heavy grooves, a nice atmospheric middle section, i love it

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Anathema --> Untouchable
David Maxim Micic --> Where Is Now?
Devin Townsend --> Funeral or Color Your World
King Crimson --> 21st Century Schizoid Man
LTE --> When The Water Breaks (or the Levee... who knows. :) )
Porcupine Tree --> The Start Of Something Beautiful
Some pretty solid choices here, although I'd have gone with Blackest Eyes or Russia On Ice, as they encompass both the soft and heavier sides of the band.

Some personal choices:

Massive Attack - Group Four
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Destroying Angels
Air - All I Need
Portishead - Roads
Burial - Loner
Infected Mushroom - Heavyweight or Becoming Insane
Talk Talk - John Cope

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Here's one I forgot:
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

:neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
John Cage - 4'33''
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member