Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26936 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Watched the 15 minute video Nintendo released showing a lot of the new stuff on Super Mario Wonder.  It definitely looks like tons of fun, and has lots of nice additions/gameplay to the 2D side-scrolling Mario format.

I'm also excited for the release of the Arkham trilogy on the Switch.  I had Arkham Asylum on the PS3 and loved it, but never played the other 2.  Watched a buddy play through a good chunk of Arkham City and that game looked great, so I am pretty excited to pick these up.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2023, 01:03:16 PM »
Watched the 15 minute video Nintendo released showing a lot of the new stuff on Super Mario Wonder.  It definitely looks like tons of fun, and has lots of nice additions/gameplay to the 2D side-scrolling Mario format.

I'm also excited for the release of the Arkham trilogy on the Switch.  I had Arkham Asylum on the PS3 and loved it, but never played the other 2.  Watched a buddy play through a good chunk of Arkham City and that game looked great, so I am pretty excited to pick these up.

i also saw that nintendo video for super mario wonder. it's really great to see them adding more stuff to the classic 2d side-scrolling mario game. i've been a mario fan since i was a kid, and it's awesome that they keep coming up with new ideas to keep the gameplay fresh.

one thing that caught my eye in the video was the new power-ups. that super mushroom suit looks pretty cool, and i can see it adding a new layer of strategy to the game. it's always fun to experiment with different power-ups and see how they change the way you play.

the level design also looks top-notch. the variety of environments and obstacles they showed off in the video is impressive. it seems like they're really pushing the creativity when it comes to level design, and that's something i appreciate as a longtime mario player.

i'm also curious about the multiplayer mode they mentioned. playing mario with friends has always been a blast, so i'm looking forward to seeing how that works in super mario wonder. it's always fun to team up with friends to tackle tough levels or compete to see who can finish first.

i have to say i'm pretty excited for super mario wonder. it looks like nintendo is putting a lot of effort into making it a great addition to the mario franchise. i can't wait to get my hands on it and start playing. it's going to be a good time for sure!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: September 01, 2023, 01:24:48 PM »
Poor Yoshi, putting in some extra work in this game.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: September 01, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »

i also saw that nintendo video for super mario wonder. it's really great to see them adding more stuff to the classic 2d side-scrolling mario game. i've been a mario fan since i was a kid, and it's awesome that they keep coming up with new ideas to keep the gameplay fresh.

one thing that caught my eye in the video was the new power-ups. that super mushroom suit looks pretty cool, and i can see it adding a new layer of strategy to the game. it's always fun to experiment with different power-ups and see how they change the way you play.

the level design also looks top-notch. the variety of environments and obstacles they showed off in the video is impressive. it seems like they're really pushing the creativity when it comes to level design, and that's something i appreciate as a longtime mario player.

i'm also curious about the multiplayer mode they mentioned. playing mario with friends has always been a blast, so i'm looking forward to seeing how that works in super mario wonder. it's always fun to team up with friends to tackle tough levels or compete to see who can finish first.

i have to say i'm pretty excited for super mario wonder. it looks like nintendo is putting a lot of effort into making it a great addition to the mario franchise. i can't wait to get my hands on it and start playing. it's going to be a good time for sure!

Definitely looks like a step up over NSMB. As much as those games were fun, they were a bit sterile in their design. This looks to be stretching its creative legs much more.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2023, 11:10:25 PM »
i'm also curious about the multiplayer mode they mentioned. playing mario with friends has always been a blast, so i'm looking forward to seeing how that works in super mario wonder.

SMB on the NES set me on the video game course I've been on for nearly 40 years. I haven't played every single Mario game over the years, and wasn't going to jump on this one, but my 5 year old has been wanting to play more and more on the Switch and I don't have many games she can really play yet. Once I saw this, and saw it had multiplayer, I knew I was going to get this for us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #390 on: September 04, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
Its been a long time since a mario game really got my attention, but Wonder looks incredible and next level. Its like a fever dream in places and I can't wait to play it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2023, 06:31:42 AM »
Its been a long time since a mario game really got my attention, but Wonder looks incredible and next level. Its like a fever dream in places and I can't wait to play it.

Completely agree. The more I looked into the more I want to play it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »
Haven't followed the news about this new Mario, but I'd be interested.

Since I was travelling the last couple weeks, I had been using the switch again.  I played through a season of the AEW wrestling game which I thought was pretty cheesy and stupid, but it kept me entertained when I had 15-30 minutes to kill. 

I also went back to Breathe of the Wild and found a lot more appreciation for it than I had previously. It helped that I finally decided to pull out a guide and just went through banging out tasks instead of just wandering around and trying to do shrines only and slowly do the main quests.  I think that's what I really needed, some direction to really start to see and experience the real beauty of that game.  I played this a lot more than I expected to.  I am traveling again this week so I expect to get some more hours in.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2023, 08:47:48 PM »
Marc, if you are enjoying BotW you should check out Tears of the Kingdom. For reasons I both can explain, and cannot, I am having much more fun with this one than I did with BotW.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: September 06, 2023, 08:26:46 AM »
Marc, if you are enjoying BotW you should check out Tears of the Kingdom. For reasons I both can explain, and cannot, I am having much more fun with this one than I did with BotW.

Oh, I'm sure it's great.  I just didn't love BotW for awhile so me enjoying it now is a change in stance.  I honestly just don't have the time to put the 100+ hours necessary into the game since I only play it when traveling.  So buying the new one is not likely for me in the near future since I still have a lot of time to put into BotW and I have a Mario game on deck to play next. I wouldn't be surprised if I get TotK in a couple years, hopefully on discount by then  :lol (and I'm sure the next switch will be out too).  I'm pretty late to the game when it comes to the switch.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »
Disappointed to hear there is no plan for TOTK DLC, though I had a feeling. Nintendo did such a great job with BOTW DLC, and the potential for it in TOTK was much better but I guess the game is already big enough on its own.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #396 on: September 07, 2023, 04:59:33 AM »
BotW was a 7-8/10 game for me, TotK easily a 9-10/10. For me it is everything people described BotW to be. Much more to do and way less repetition, fantastic powers/tools that can be used very creatively. You get a couple of powers very early on, but keep discovering new ways to used them and mix them throughout the game. I am fine with no DLC, the game is massive already.

There are a couple of negatives, for sure, but they don't really detract from the experience from me. I actually wonder how blown my mind would be if I never played Breath of the Wild and the world was entirely new to me.

It is weird as a sequel though, some characters act like they have never seen you and some like they have known you for years. And Zelda stole my damn house. It confused me, but I just assume it is time travel stuff that affected the world, or something like that.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: September 07, 2023, 06:56:16 AM »
It is weird as a sequel though, some characters act like they have never seen you and some like they have known you for years. And Zelda stole my damn house. It confused me, but I just assume it is time travel stuff that affected the world, or something like that.

And you get to built a bigger and better one because of it  :biggrin:

I think what Nintendo was going for is that the only characters that recognize Link are those included in the main story line of BOTW (Zoras, Gorons, Purah, Etc.), along with a few others. The house thing was a side quest, so the game implies you never did it and Zelda bought the house from Bolson.

« Reply #398 on: September 07, 2023, 08:20:28 AM »
i'm neither surprised nor upset that TOTK has no DLC. the game was absolutely perfect as-is and was already 70 bucks. no need to mess with perfection  :coolio
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2023, 08:59:25 AM »
I turned my Switch Lite on for the first time in a good while over the weekend and saw they were having a sale. They had that new GTA Definitive Edition for 50% off ($30) and I finally caved.

I played GTA-III for about 15 minutes and looks decent, and I'm saving Vice City for my international flight next month. San Andreas looks and plays really well so far though. I haven't played it since my PS2 days, so it's hard to remember what it used to look like, but this version looks great. It also makes me really appreciate the work that went into Los Santos the second time around, and it makes me really excited to see what Rockstar does with VI.

I also really like how the added the weapon wheel for weapon selection. That's such an improvement on the old system.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2023, 02:11:17 PM »
why're y'all so into those nintendo switches? my son doug let me play his once, but that little screen was too small for my taste :lol real men play on pc or xbox, am i right? i guess the price of a switch can't be beat though when your girlfriend's boyfriend is buying them for you :rollin just kidding folks, i'm just jealous i don't have much time for gaming these days since i have four kids and a job, enjoy your gaming but don't forget to balance it with some real-world adventures too!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #401 on: September 12, 2023, 02:48:15 PM »
I almost exclusively play the switch in the dock station (plugged into a 55" TV). The only times I play handheld is when I'm on a trip and I take the switch with me, which lately I've been leaving behind anyways.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #402 on: September 12, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »
I play docked at home. And I use tabletop mode with a controller when travelling for work (in long train rides / hotels). I bought the OLED model because that screen works a bit better for table top mode.

These days I am not finding handhelds super comfortable anymore, after a day of work I want a neutral posture. But the Switch Light is a very appealing little device for sure.

Also, I used to think the Switch was kinda unusable on my 55 inch TV, but I found out that somehow the screen was not aligned. Noticed this when the huds of several games weren't totally on screen. At 95 screen size instead of 100 it looks way better. Obviously still a early 10's tablet chip, but properly setting it up for my tv made a significant difference.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
The Nintendo Direct from a few days ago was a bit underwhelming, but the two things I am excited about is that Mario RPG has new features for the remastered version, and the new Contra. I love Contra 3 from SNES.

Also, I played the Prince of Persia I think in Xbox 360, and I enjoyed it. I'll keep an eye out for the new one  :corn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2023, 07:46:16 PM »
I wish they would have announced an entirely new F-zero game or a remaster/re release of GX. Playing the SNES f-zero with tons of other cars on the screen isn't speaking to me

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2023, 02:57:45 AM »
I loved Another Code on the DS back in the day and never played the sequel. I also never played this Paper Mario and it looks very good. Never played Luigi's Mansion 2, but that port looks less high effort. Anyways, those are three games I am interested in.

I think Mario Wonder will be the last major Switch release by Nintendo. I assume the Switch will enter a release schedule more akin to the late days of the 3DS (which was exactly like this, a lot of enhanced/changed up ports and/or remakes, with some more low profile releases here and there).

As someone who thinks a lot of Switch years were quite disappointing, I actually think this year is amazing as a whole. But next years will be in the domain of the Switch successor (and given that the Switch will be 7 years old then, it is about time).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2023, 06:08:53 AM »
As someone who thinks a lot of Switch years were quite disappointing, I actually think this year is amazing as a whole. But next years will be in the domain of the Switch successor (and given that the Switch will be 7 years old then, it is about time).
This I still struggle with. It doesn't feel like the switch was released that long ago. I honestly have no desired for a new console, but it feels more and more likely that some of the games we been waiting for will be released when the new console drops (Metroid Prime 4 for example).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2023, 06:43:06 AM »
I disagree on the Switch. I think developers have made great use of it's limited power but it's time for something new, it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2023, 07:35:42 AM »
The Nintendo Direct from a few days ago was a bit underwhelming, but the two things I am excited about is that Mario RPG has new features for the remastered version, and the new Contra. I love Contra 3 from SNES.

Also, I played the Prince of Persia I think in Xbox 360, and I enjoyed it. I'll keep an eye out for the new one  :corn

small disagree here, i thought the direct was so amazing. i love seeing endless ads for smash bros amiibo and an endless parade of rpg remakes and farm sims
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »

small disagree here, i thought the direct was so amazing. i love seeing endless ads for smash bros amiibo and an endless parade of rpg remakes and farm sims

Ever since I was a young child, the allure of farming beckoned to me like a siren's song. The thought of waking up at dawn, surrounded by the serenity of a vast countryside, tending to crops and animals, filled my mind with excitement and purpose. But my parents, trapped in a rigid mindset, dismissed my dreams of becoming a farmer as a mere fantasy. They were fixated on the idea of a stable corporate job for me, one that they believed would ensure financial security and societal validation.

I vividly remember the day they mocked my aspirations, calling farming a "backward" and "unrealistic" career choice. Their words stung, and I buried my dreams deep within, fearing their disapproval. However, my love for farming never waned; it only grew stronger as I sought solace in farm simulation games. These games, like Stardew Valley and Farming Simulator, allow me to step into the boots of a virtual farmer and cultivate the life I've always desired.

In the virtual expanse of Stardew Valley, I till the soil, plant diverse crops, raise happy animals, and engage with a charming community of characters. The meticulous attention to detail in the game, from the changing seasons to the intricate farm layouts, mirrors the farming experience I had envisioned for myself. It's a bittersweet substitute for the reality I was denied, but it fuels my passion and ignites a spark of hope that someday I might find a way to live my dream.

To those who doubt the authenticity of my love for farm sims, I implore you to understand the deep-seated longing that fuels my enthusiasm. These games aren't just a pastime for me; they are a lifeline, a way to hold on to the dreams that were once belittled and ridiculed. Farm simulation games have become the canvas on which I paint the portrait of my unrealized ambition, bringing me closer to the farming world I yearned for as a child, even if only in a virtual realm.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2023, 11:03:15 AM »
This I still struggle with. It doesn't feel like the switch was released that long ago. I honestly have no desired for a new console, but it feels more and more likely that some of the games we been waiting for will be released when the new console drops (Metroid Prime 4 for example).

Well as someone who was very late to the switch, I'm currently too far behind to have any desire to get a new switch 2.  I'm sure it'll be a solid new console, but I'm just not ready for it personally.  That's OK though.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2023, 12:23:38 PM »

Contra is one of my all time favorite games.  I hadn't watched the Nintendo Direct, but I went back and checked it out because of the mention of Contra.  Definitely excited for that new Contra game, looks pretty awesome!

« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2023, 01:36:08 PM »
i hate being negative but i never got the contra love. it's just running and gunning!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2023, 01:43:33 PM »
i hate being negative but i never got the contra love. it's just running and gunning!

For me, it was less about the game itself and more about the endless hours of fun my childhood friends and had sucking ass at it.   

Paperboy NES gets an honorable mention  :lol

« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2023, 01:47:02 PM »

For me, it was less about the game itself and more about the endless hours of fun my childhood friends and had sucking ass at it.   

Paperboy NES gets an honorable mention  :lol

lol this is really fair! i have my share of titles i could say reflect that myself. thanks for clarifying!

to be clear, for me one of those is definitely Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (DX) because it had the Chaos (pronounced Chows, not kay-oss)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #415 on: September 19, 2023, 03:56:07 PM »
I like contra. I just always sucked at it  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: September 19, 2023, 07:04:46 PM »
I had not intended to buy a Switch but ended up getting one summer of 2020 for the kids to keep them from going bonkers being trapped at home due to Covid (ok, it was partially for me too). It ended up being a great purchase. Despite only having a handful of games, we play it now as much as we ever have. It still feels new and fresh enough that I cannot imagine investing in a new console any time soon.

Unless of course that will be the only way to play Metroid Prime 4.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #417 on: September 20, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
I love my Switch but if I'm gonna buy more software for it I kinda need to know when the next thing is coming along and that whatever I get is going to be compatible.

« Reply #418 on: September 20, 2023, 03:19:58 PM »
I love my Switch but if I'm gonna buy more software for it I kinda need to know when the next thing is coming along and that whatever I get is going to be compatible.

yeah, i've been reading up on the switch 2 rumors lately. for starters, it's pretty exciting to think about a successor to the switch, especially since the original switch has been such a game-changer in the world of gaming. one of the big rumors floating around is that the switch 2 might have upgraded hardware. this isn't a huge surprise considering how technology advances, but it's still interesting to speculate on what kind of improvements we might see. better graphics, faster processing, and maybe even support for 4k resolution are some things that come to mind. if they can pull that off in a portable console, it would be quite the feat. another rumor that's got me intrigued is the possibility of a revamped joy-con design. don't get me wrong, i love the joy-cons, but they're not without their issues. the drift problem has been a thorn in the side of many switch owners, so if nintendo can address that and maybe make them more comfortable to hold for long gaming sessions, it would be a huge win. speaking of controllers, there's also talk of improved vr support. now, that's a bit of a wildcard for me. vr is cool, but it hasn't really taken off in a big way, at least not on consoles. if nintendo can find a way to make it more accessible and enjoyable, it could be a game-changer. one thing that i hope nintendo doesn't change too much is the switch's unique form factor. the ability to switch between handheld and docked modes is what sets the switch apart, and i hope they keep that in the switch 2. maybe they'll refine it, make it even smoother, but i'd hate to see them abandon it.

of course, there's the games, and that's always the crux of the matter, right?. nintendo has always been known for its killer first-party titles, and i can't wait to see what they have in store for the switch 2. i'm hoping for a new zelda, mario, and maybe even some fresh ips to keep things interesting.

it's definitely fair to be concerned about backwards compatibility tho. ninty is usually ok about it but i hesitate that they are going to take one from the (evil) corporations like microsuck or kony and pull a fast one on us. here's hoping they don't!  :natalieportman:
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »
The rumor I saw was that Switch 2 would be as powerful as an Xbox One or PS4. 

Surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about the leaked emails showing microsoft wanting to buy Nintendo.  Its not clear how realistic that option is/was, it seems more like just an idea in a written email about potential future plans.  Hopefully it never happens.  Nintendo needs to stay put doing what they do.  They've got a niche market that works really well for what they do.