Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26580 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
I definitely use the Switch in portable mode more than I anticipated I would. I never owned a handheld gaming device before, so that was a new experience for me. Even when I am home alone I often play portable instead of on the 65" TV.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2023, 12:06:57 PM »
In my view the Switch is a fantastic handheld and a serviceable console. If you are into console gaming I would wait for the end of this year, when we will probably hear more about the next Nintendo platform (switch is 6 years old now). It works well, but I don't think Switch games look appealing on a large (4k) tv.

I've played mario kart 64 multiplayer for a bit and honestly the online component isn't really great. I don't have a lot of high hopes for goldeneye 64 for switch which makes it even more shitty that the xbox version doesn't have multiplayer.

Hmm, oh well, maybe some day. MK64 I don't mind, I think MK8 brings a great experience. Goldeneye is a type of MP shooter that just doesn't get made anymore and would be fun for a bit.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
Nintendo Direct, tomorrow at 5pm eastern. Here's hoping for Metroid Prime!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2023, 03:00:22 PM »
I would love if they announced anything Metroid prime related.

If they say that prime trilogy is available for switch, I will buy it. If they say prime 4 comes out soon I will buy it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 03:17:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #284 on: February 08, 2023, 05:01:23 AM »
I would be surprised if Metroid Prime isn't a Switch 2 title or a crossgen one (like Breath of the Wild was). But they rebooted development in 2019, so it does does seem possible after 4 years.

I assume this will be a Zelda info blowout?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: February 08, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »
FIRST METROID PRIME REMASTERED AVAILABLE TODAY!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #286 on: February 08, 2023, 03:46:16 PM »
GameBoy and GameBoy Advance for Online.

Hopefully this leads to a Mother 3 release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #287 on: February 08, 2023, 04:10:11 PM »
I'm very impressed with this Nintendo Direct, this is probably the best one they've done in a long time. I am greatly anticipating the new story DLC for Xenoblade 3, and I'm also quite interested in Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, and the Castlevania DLC for Dead Cells.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #288 on: February 08, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »

All I'm gonna say is its about damn time. I've been wanting to play this game for like 10+ years and just never had a console where it was available. I'm buying/pre ordering it as soon as I get home

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: February 08, 2023, 05:17:34 PM »
Yeah, definitely long overdue. I was expecting the full trilogy but this will do for now.

I'm very impressed with this Nintendo Direct, this is probably the best one they've done in a long time. I am greatly anticipating the new story DLC for Xenoblade 3, and I'm also quite interested in Pikmin 4, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, and the Castlevania DLC for Dead Cells.
Yeah there was a lot of interesting stuff announced for sure. I might give in and get the Nintendo Online + expansion because of the Gameboy Advance games. There are a few I never played but always wanted to.

I would be surprised if Metroid Prime isn't a Switch 2 title or a crossgen one (like Breath of the Wild was).

I think you might be right here. Given that instead of the entire trilogy, we only got the first game, I am assuming they'll release Metroid Prime 2 at some point before the end of the year, and Prime 3 maybe early next year. At which point there will be information about the new system along with Prime 4. But I am happy with what was announced today, between replaying Prime 1, playing Tears of the Kingdom and giving those gameboy advance games a shot, I should have enough entertainment for a while.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: February 08, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »

WHOA! Prime on Switch?! I've played through the Prime games, which I love to varying degrees, enough times to the point I never thought I'd have a desire to revisit, but this changes things!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #291 on: February 08, 2023, 06:52:26 PM »
I'm looking forward to messing around with the game boy and GBA games. loved those as a kid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: February 08, 2023, 07:02:41 PM »
I never owned a GameBoy or GBA but have played a few GBA games via emulator. Might check this out as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2023, 01:03:53 AM »
Looking forward to playing gba games on the Switch, that will get me to sign up for the service again.

I am disappointed that Metroid Remastered is basically a full priced standalone release at 40 euros. But it is good to see it release, I assume the other titles will follow (but who knows with Nintendo, haha)

Edit:

Nice, I definitely want to play these:
-Metroid Fusion
-Minish Cap
-Fire Emblem
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:54:25 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2023, 05:36:43 AM »
Wow, I just realized minish cap was available.

I've been wanting to play that game for about 20 years almost. I just never got around to playing it, so I will be playing that for sure.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2023, 05:40:01 AM »
I just watched/skimmed the actual direct, good show, several unexpected titles I am for sure interested in.

And Metroid has been updated more than I initially thought, which is good.

Wow, I just realized minish cap was available.

I've been wanting to play that game for about 20 years almost. I just never got around to playing it, so I will be playing that for sure.

Same. I love 2d Zelda games, moreso than the 3d ones in fact, despite me being reaaally bad at them (the 90's releases, that is).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2023, 12:28:08 PM »
Just realized this is the 3rd time I've bought Metroid Prime if we count the Prime trilogy. Just played for a few minutes last night. Controls will take a bit longer to be comfortable with. Only tried one option so don't know which will work best for me. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2023, 03:18:25 PM »
Messed around with Prime remaster today. So far I think its pretty well done  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2023, 08:24:13 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #299 on: March 09, 2023, 04:13:35 AM »
I played a little bit of the Metroid Prime remaster. I was wrong earlier with my disappointment (seperate release, not a trilogy), it is a high effort remaster. I am amazed that it holds up well on my 55 inch tv at 60 fps. Especially organic environments look nice. My only qualm is that the suit of Samus kind of looks like the textures haven't quite popped in, I think it is a bit at odds with the rest of the visuals at times.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2023, 04:41:43 AM »
Its very well made.

While playing, I often forget that its a 20 year old game. It really feels like a new release.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2023, 10:00:37 AM »
Started playing Metroid Remastered, and enjoying it a lot so far. The moment the Title screen music started, it brought me right back to 2002-2003.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2023, 01:50:50 PM »
Just got a Switch the other day, and am playing Metroid Dread. Halfway through it now, and damn it's awesome. Very difficult, but so rewarding.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2023, 06:46:56 PM »
Just got a Switch the other day, and am playing Metroid Dread. Halfway through it now, and damn it's awesome. Very difficult, but so rewarding.

As someone who isn't an expert gamer, I thought the challenge and difficulty on Metroid Dread was perfect. Except for that last boss, whom I gave up on.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2023, 10:34:43 AM »
Its very well made.

While playing, I often forget that its a 20 year old game. It really feels like a new release.

It is about as ageless as a game can be. Overall it is an excellent game. I am not sure how much I enjoy some combat sections, but the exploration, atmosphere, (light)puzzles, and overall core gameplay/controls are all fantastic. Almost finished it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2023, 08:27:01 AM »
Finished Prime remastered over the weekend. While I surprisingly remembered a lot from the game, it took me a few hours to find the final 2 artifacts. Going to play it on hard mode, and see if I can complete it at 100%, which has always been a challenge with Metroid games, given all the hidden missile expansions and what not.

There's a gameplay presentation for Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom that was just released, along with a Zelda Switch OLED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qna-ZCbxA

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2023, 04:10:13 AM »
Finished Metroid Prime, great game. I missed a couple of scans and upgrades, but got most of it.

New Zelda looks great. BotW but with more/other abilities in your toolkit. And a bit of the tedium resolved by new mechanics (weapon durability and climbing every mountain). I wonder how much the world has changed and how much it has been expanded. I finally almost finished BotW, now doing the DLC before I head to Ganon.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »

As someone who isn't an expert gamer, I thought the challenge and difficulty on Metroid Dread was perfect. Except for that last boss, whom I gave up on.
Same, it was just too long of a battle tbh. I ended up watching a gameplay of the ending, and damn, that was insane.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: March 31, 2023, 11:37:01 AM »
There's currently a Mario sale for the switch.  I got paid today so figured I should grab something since I hated paying full price for an older Mario game just a month ago (Super Mario 3D World which I am almost finished with, but probably won't come back until my next trip).

So I grabbed Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8.  My gf and I will hit up the Mario Kart and I'll save Odyssey for when I'm done with 3D world.  Each game was on sale for $40.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: March 31, 2023, 11:49:32 AM »
I got Odyssey as well a few days ago, quite a fun game so far. It feels a bit emptier compared to the Galaxy games tho, and the mix of realistic art with the more stylish one looks a bit off to me, but the music and gameplay are great.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
I really enjoyed Odyssey. It's a great introduction to, and showcases the capabilities of, the Switch. Having the sort of open world feel is also what made it fun for me. Of course, it's not immune to the open world feeling a bit empty at moments. The hat mechanic is a neat feature, and it's quite fun playing the game with the different outfits available for Mario. 

I wanted to try and 100% but once I saw the jump rope quest I instantly knew I was not going to complete this at all.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2023, 06:48:03 PM »
I plan on shelling out $70 for Tears of the Kingdom as soon as its out, but am also wondering if it will be necessary to pre-order it?  I bought BotW on cartridge, and will want to for this also.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2023, 07:23:31 AM »
I might actually not buy Tears of the Kingdom right away. I'm still only about 50% through Dragon Quest XI (if that), and I've got who-the-hell-knows longer of Elden Ring left (though, I'm getting tired of it). Why buy a new game at this point?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #313 on: April 04, 2023, 03:32:24 AM »
I have the CE of TofK pre ordered. I doubt the regular version will sell out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2023, 08:44:19 PM »
I enjoyed BotW but I didn't love it like so many others seemed to. Watching that video with Eji Aonuma doesn't inspire me to rush out and order TotK. Those new mechanics aren't something that interests me much. I enjoyed the Divine Beasts and the Shrines, but I missed delving in to a dungeon/temple, finding items, collecting keys, exploring paths, and defeating bosses.