Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26565 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted, and I hope you're all doing well!

I wanted to make a thread specifically for the Nintendo Switch, since the console is doing so well and there's much to talk about. I haven't read many of the recent posts in the Official Videogame thread, but I feel it'd be cool for the Switch to have its own thread. The old Nintendo thread also seems to be kind of dead. If any mods feel this is unnecessary, feel free to take it down :tup

Honestly, I can say without a doubt that this console got me back into gaming. Probably not super ideal since I'm in grad school, but hey, gotta have fun somehow :lol

Just in case anyone is interested, I'll list the games I have for it. I'm open to any good recommendations, as well as giving recommendations for games.

My Switch collection so far:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 60+ hours. Fun game that I'm hesitating to beat because I don't feel I'll be super motivated to go back through it if I do. So I'm taking a bit of a break.

Super Mario Odyssey - 15+ hours. Love the game, so much fun. Didn't take very long to beat. Not quite looking to find all the moons just because I'd rather allocate that time to different games.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 15+ hours. Great multiplayer game, especially local. However, I don't find myself playing this much alone. Already did pretty much everything I could do.

Splatoon 2 - 10+ hours. Recently got this. I really dig the multiplayer, lots of fun.

Rayman Legends - 10+ hours. Love this game. Did a single play through of the main story levels. Going to go back and try to 100% this one. One of the best platformers I've ever played. Gorgeous visuals and music, perfect for the Switch.

Stardew Valley - 20+ hours. Put in these 20 hours within the first few days of getting the game. Took a bit of a break. Love the relaxing tone of this one and can't wait to go back. Great stress reliever right here.

Enter the Gungeon - Probably about 10 hours. Just got this on sale. So much fun! I love the challenge and I feel like this has such high replay value.

The End is Nigh - 5+ hours. A bit like Super Meat Boy if anyone has ever played it. I think this is a bit harder though because it requires a bit more precision. Lots of fun and rewarding.

Overcooked! - 4+ hours. One of my favorite multiplayer games. However, it's quite difficult. It's complete chaos and makes you reconsider your friendships. I only play this with others. Seems impossible doing it all alone.

vs. Super Mario Bros - <1 hour. I've turned this game on a couple times at most. I got it on sale when I first got my Switch, just so I could have it there. I'll likely get the itch to play this sometime.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - 1+ hour. I really do love this game, but I find few opportunities to play it. Again, it's another great multiplayer title, but I feel it's at its best with 3 others. Each person controlling a part of the ship is such a unique idea, I just wish I had more opportunities to play it with others. It works well as a 2 player adventure, but I find it quite difficult.

Inversus - 1+ hour. It's a pretty simple puzzle shooter. Cool idea but also one that I only have the desire to play with others. Bought this on sale!

Perception - Still haven't played. Heard very mixed reviews about it. I feel like it's right up my alley, but I'm looking to beat Oxenfree before I get to it. I don't really like playing multiple story based games at once.

Thumper
- Probably about 5 hours. My most recent purchase, and currently on sale in the eShop. Holy shit! This is already one of my favorite games on the Switch. Such an innovative idea. I've always enjoyed rhythm games like guitar hero and rock band, but this does feel a bit different. It's super fast-paced, and looks and sounds gorgeous. If anyone wants a challenging rhythm game, pick it up!

Oxenfree - 4+ hours. I love it so far. I'm a sucker for the walking simulator type games. I crave a good story and good writing over almost anything else in gaming nowadays. This definitely has it. I'm probably about to play some more of this tonight.

The Deer God
- <1 hour. Neat little side scroller, but not much to it. One of the first games I got. A friend told me to buy it so I did. Not really sure why though. :lol

Any gamer knows it's incredibly easy to create a massive backlog of games that will likely never be touched. I'm trying not to do that with the Switch, but it certainly is hard with the plethora of great titles released.

Just to raise some interesting questions:

- What games are you most looking forward to this year?
- What are you favorite/least favorite Switch titles?
- E3 predictions?
- In what ways do you think the Switch could be improved?

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:53:39 AM »
Looking forward to Fire Emblem this year and Metroid Prime 4 whenever it finally comes out. Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I've ever played, though there is room for improvement so I'm excited to see what they do with the next Zelda. I've put in around 400 hours across multiple play-throughs

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:41:12 AM »
I've really wanted to get one of these (for Zelda, Mario and also Mario Kart), but I can't justify the high cost of the console, games and even the added accessories. Keep waiting for a price drop, but it doesn't seem to be coming - which is good for Nintendo I suppose, it's nice to see them still doing well.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 04:08:08 AM »
I picked up 'Shovel Knight' a few weeks ago.  One of the games I'd heard a lot of good things about but never picked up before on any format, I'd a really good old school platformer, it's has a nice difficulty balance for me - not too hard, but slightly up from casual gaming. 

Quick question....On Overcooked is it couch co-op only, or is there online?  Also how does it play with only 2 players?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:39 AM »
Holy shit FlyingBizkit, how are you?

I don't have a nintendo switch but I plan on picking one up in the next month or so, I really want to play Mario and Zelda.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »
This is actually a good idea because I feel like I derail the main game thread too much  :biggrin: Nice collection you have there Bizkit. I want a lot of cheaper titles but there's a lot of factors that keep me from buying them: I dislike mobile games/ports, visual novel-type experiences, and cheap games that are like an hour or two long. I want to avoid filling my Switch up with games like those. Then there are other games that I've already bought on Steam but might buy again... not enough time or money to get everything!

My collection (physical copies are bold)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Kirby Star Allies

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors (currently obsessed with this and will probably continue to play religiously until Hyrule Warriors drops)
Disgaea 5 Complete
Sonic Mania
Slain: Back From Hell
Fast RMX
Cave Story+

Yoshi, Octopath Traveler, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Super Smash Bros.  :biggrin:

Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Odyssey would be my top 3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Mario + Rabbids aren't far behind. Least favorite is Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and Slain: Back From Hell. Infuriating games with BS difficulty.

- E3 predictions?

Smash Bros. details, a bunch of info on Yoshi before they announce it will release shortly after E3. Metroid Prime 4 gameplay. Possibly info on Pokemon. I am hoping for an Animal Crossing announcement, or if not that, finally setting a release date for Pikmin 4.

Make the eshop way easier to navigate. Having to browse through a ton of shovelware without many sort options, especially with weekly updates, is a nightmare. Wasn't bad the first month or so, but now it's crazy. I don't do online multiplayer so I don't care about that but for those that do it'd be nice if they got their act together and just implemented basic voice chat and online play functions that Sony and Microsoft understand. I feel bad for Splatoon players who have to use that stupid device to hook up to their phone just to chat. Other than that it's just fine to me - maybe figure out a way to take save data off the system in case the Switch itself gets damaged, but I'm very happy with where it's at. Oh - allow video capture for ALL titles. I do not understand why I can't take video even in big titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
I'm glad someone like Splatoon as much as me. That game is fun as shit.

1. smash
     2. Metroid 4

Favorites:

1. Breath of the wild of course. That game is tits
    2. Splatoon 2- sooo much fun and very addictive
    3. skyrim - I can't believe I put 50 hours in to a game I already played multiple times, but its great on the switch
    4. xenoblade 2- awesome game
    5. Mr. shifty - cheap and fun
    6. Celeste- very fun
    7. Sonic mania - just like the old ones
    8. Tumbleweed park - fun and quirky

Least favorite

1. Sorry to all the odyssey lovers, but that was the first disappointing mario game I ever played and I've passionately played all of them going all the way back to 1987. I beat it in a day and a half effortlessly and mindlessly collecting excessive moons is boring as shit to me. Its mundane banality does nothing for me. And playing it after finishing the elegant, robust and expansive breath of the wild wasn't doing it any favors either. It was like going from filet mignon to ramen noodles.

2. Mariod kart 8 is an awesome game. I will be upfront about that, but Its just not for me. I got bored.

3. Doom- I probably would like it better on the other systems. the visual compromise is too much.

- E3 predictions?

1. I'm hoping for virtual console
    2. I would love to see a new F-zero

1. I want full virtual console and I am talking NES all the way up to gamecube support. Its money that is just burning a hole in my pocket ready to go to nintendo. I would buy so much shit

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
^^ Wow, that's a shame you didn't enjoy Mario Odyssey. For me it's the best 3D Mario since 64, and possibly ever: Sunshine was good but had way too many problems, and I think the Galaxy games are awful. But it's interesting to see how opinions vary.  :biggrin:

I would do terrible things for a new F-Zero or even just F-Zero GX HD. A very small part of me thinks that maybe they're finally cooking something up for the Switch but I've come to accept that F-Zero is simply a dead franchise...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »

I'm definitely gonna get a Switch in a few years when the system is reaching the end of it's life cycle so I can get everything cheaper. Really looking forward to playing Breath of the Wild, Mario Oddissey, and Metroid fucking Prime 4, and maybe the Dark Souls remaster and the other Souls game, the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy thing :metal

I think the Galaxy games are awful.
I'm sending you harsh noise for the rest of your roulette :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
I think the Galaxy games are awful.
I'm sending you harsh noise for the rest of your roulette :P

You and Puppies will fight for last place  :metal

I forgot Crash Bandicoot Trilogy. I want that!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »
Oh crap, I forgot about the Crash bandicoot trilogy as well. That's a day one purchase for sure

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
Only had mine for a few weeks, but one thing I'm surprised it's lacking is apps - the most obvious being Netflix.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:40 AM »
Only had mine for a few weeks, but one thing I'm surprised it's lacking is apps - the most obvious being Netflix.

Yeah, but Netflix's selection is superbad these days, so not a big loss  :lol I personally don't care about apps on my consoles but for those who do I hope they at least get Netflix again soon. They have Hulu but that's about it. Since I usually game with my laptop on the coffee table in front of me it's not a problem personally...

Still playing lots of Fire Emblem Warriors - this game is a lot easier to complete than Hyrule Warriors. On that game I think I clocked over 250 hours on the Wii U version and didn't even finish half of the first of five adventure maps; in FE I'm 70 hours in and have 3 of the available 5 adventure maps cleared. Thank god. Hope they fix that in the Switch version of HW.

Also Kirby is still a blast. Short as hell, I damn near beat it in a weekend, but charming and lovely to look at with some fun minigames.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »

Yeah, but Netflix's selection is superbad these days, so not a big loss  :lol

Dude, that is the truth. I worked night shift the other night and spent a good 30 mins looking for something to watch. And they had the balls to take away Archer from me just as I was getting into it. Netflix, you be slippin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »

Yeah, but Netflix's selection is superbad these days, so not a big loss  :lol

Dude, that is the truth. I worked night shift the other night and spent a good 30 mins looking for something to watch. And they had the balls to take away Archer from me just as I was getting into it. Netflix, you be slippin

That's actually one of the few good things they've done recently  :hat

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
Well, hot damn. Wolfenstein 2 looks pretty damn good on switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaOeobw833A

I'll probably pick that up when released and also dark souls

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »
A few things:

I highly recommend a cute little game I just bought the other day called PAN-PAN a tiny-big adventure. I'm pretty sure it's like 5 or 6 dollars. It's a neat little puzzle game. Feels like it might be a little overwhelming at first but you eventually find your way. I played through it twice now.

Also, Wolfenstein II looks awesome. I definitely want to check it out. I might as well do it on the Switch.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:43 AM »
Bought World of Goo a few nights ago. I never got far in the PC version so it's nice to have it again on Switch (and using my gold points I only paid $5 for it, so that's cool). However, I don't understand why the only control options are to play in tablet mode with the Joy-Cons connected, or play using a single Joy-Con. Oh well. Still it's really fun, I love these 'easy to understand, difficult to master' physics games.

Now if they'd get Crayon Physics Deluxe I'd be set...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
World of Goo, that's a game I have not played in a long time.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
I've never played World of Goo, maybe I should add it to the list.

I bought Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and damn, this game is such fun! It's arguably my favorite Mario title on the Switch so far. I've never once played a strategy game so I was hesitant to buy this. After hearing such good reviews I decided to get it and I haven't put it down since.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
Also, don't know if anyone has heard, but Dark Souls Remastered is delayed until "Summer 2018" for the Switch. Doesn't seem to affect the other consoles.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-remastered-for-nintendo-switch-delayed/1100-6458300/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »
More time for Donkey Kong and Zelda for me  :biggrin:

Glad you're enjoying Mario + Rabbids, Bizkit. It's so fun! I still have a lot of post-game challenge maps to do, there are some really crazy ones that I have yet to figure out. I tend to use Rabbid Yoshi and Yoshi as my teammates although early on I used Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach a lot. Never really used Peach or Luigi themselves much, but they're not bad.

World of Goo is really fun but frustrating. I'm never really sure I'm using the intended strategy to beat levels and sometimes it becomes tedious, and when the whole structure collapses it kind of sucks the fun out. But I'm plugging along and the various types of goo and strategies involved are pretty inventive.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
More time for Donkey Kong and Zelda for me  :biggrin:

Glad you're enjoying Mario + Rabbids, Bizkit. It's so fun! I still have a lot of post-game challenge maps to do, there are some really crazy ones that I have yet to figure out. I tend to use Rabbid Yoshi and Yoshi as my teammates although early on I used Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Peach a lot. Never really used Peach or Luigi themselves much, but they're not bad.

World of Goo is really fun but frustrating. I'm never really sure I'm using the intended strategy to beat levels and sometimes it becomes tedious, and when the whole structure collapses it kind of sucks the fun out. But I'm plugging along and the various types of goo and strategies involved are pretty inventive.

Yeah I can't wait for DKC! I never had a WiiU so I never had the chance to play it. What's your friend code, by the way?

And yeah, I don't have every single character unlocked yet, I'm on the last world, but my "dream team" tends to be Mario, Rabbid Peach and Luigi. Luigi is an offensive mastermind, but I have to be careful because of his health :lol

I like fun, but frustrating games :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
My friend code is SW-4250-9730-4436 (Why, Nintendo? Why do you still use these?). I'm not an online or multiplayer gamer unfortunately outside of Smash Bros. but you'll be able to see my Zelda hours and get a feel for my sheer adoration for that game and franchise  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Sweet, I'll add you. Yeah I'm just curious to see the hours. I like that kinda stuff. An I have no idea, I feel like I'm giving someone my social/credit card number when I do that. :lol

And yeah, I'm more of a single player guy but let's be honest, the online for the Switch is pretty terrible right now. I can't believe you have to use an app to communicate with people on Splatoon 2. But yeah, I'm hoping whenever they roll out their online service, they have some sort of communication system.

And for anyone that wants to add, my friend code is:

SW (Steven Wilson) - 5217-6838-1691

725 hours?!?! Jesus Christ :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »
So far I've played Super Mario Odyssey (great) and Fe (indie exploration platformer thingy, was okay I guess)
Nothing else so far though, c'mon, release more games for me Nintendo ahah

Also hi bizkit

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
Hey Parama! It's been a while.

It's funny though, I've had the opposite issue. I feel like there are too many games that I can get around to!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
Yeah, 2017 was the Year of the Wild. I can almost guarantee there are more hours than that though, since Disgaea 5 is missing about 10 going by the in-game clock.  :lol I'm so burnt out on it now though that I can't see myself getting a third playthrough in for a long time, probably not even until next year.

Their online infrastructure is terrible. I wish they'd announce something about classic games coming. I know it's becoming kind of a huge burden for game companies in the modern age to spend so much time and money and energy on rehashing their classic catalogue over and over and over but that should be the next big hurdle for the industry to tackle, getting all generations (or as many as possible, and going forward) to run smoothly together. We've sent probes out of the damn solar system and can calculate the difference in trajectory if a space ant farts on a comet so we should be able to fix that, right?

There are still no less than 12 games I want for the Switch, and I still have things to take care of in the games I own. I vowed not to buy anything until I fully beat each game but with games like Disgaea and Xenoblade I'd be playing them until the next console comes out, and I still like replaying SNES games on top of that, so... :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
Hey Parama! It's been a while.

It's funny though, I've had the opposite issue. I feel like there are too many games that I can get around to!
I have way too many games on steam/buy most of my games there

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
Even though it's a remake (which the Switch seems a haven for), I'm absolutely ecstatic to get to play through The World Ends With You again and in an updated format.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Added you back, BIZ!

I would like to play TWEWY when it comes out, not sure about dropping full price on it though. I never got to play it on the DS when I had mine (several, over many years... really should have kept my last one).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
I finally got Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze! Never got to play it when I had my Wii U so this is awesome. I'm gonna spend as much of today with it as I can. I played a few levels last night and omg it's so fun  :biggrin:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »
I thought about getting Donkey Kong but wasn’t sure. Maybe I should get it...I might wait and get Hyrules Warriors as well since it’s coming out in 2 weeks.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate coming at the end of August. Finally. I picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U on a whim, and it was one of the best franchise discoveries I've made in a very long time, so I'm happy the Switch is finally getting a MH game in English.

I was already gonna get Monster Hunter World once it comes to PC this fall so this is even better. Monster Hunter autumn for me.

EDIT: Did anybody send me a friend request? I have a random request from someone but I don't know who they are and have no idea where they could've found my code, unless maybe they messed up adding someone else.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:32:22 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:24 PM »
I thought about getting Donkey Kong but wasn’t sure. Maybe I should get it...I might wait and get Hyrules Warriors as well since it’s coming out in 2 weeks.

I'm on world 5 right now, and I think you should get it, at least if you have a history of enjoying platformers (especially Nintendo platformers). The graphics are absolutely stunning, the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in a game in many years (not just orchestral or ambience, they're actually catchy and well written tunes like in the good old days - same composer as the original Donkey Kong Country, too). It's very fun and has tons of secrets.

But, I also love Hyrule Warriors, and sunk a couple hundred hours into the Wii U version (and the 3DS one). I'll buy it a third time, too. I think both are amazing games, but it depends on which you will enjoy more: a challenging platformer that will sometimes try your patience, or an addictive but extremely repetitive hack-and-slash that has hundreds of hours of content but risks burning you out early on. Hyrule Warriors also has (if they haven't updated the Switch version) some very annoying level requirements in order to get the rewards - you could spend 30+ minutes on a mission only to lose everything by accidentally taking a single hit. Fire Emblem Warriors is far more forgiving in that regard.