Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26824 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
For anyone looking for a more usable D-pad for the switch I recommend this

HORI D-pad controller. I definitely prefer it over the original joycon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »
I’ve been Switch-less for almost a year now.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Finally playing Trial of Mana officially is great. I only got so far on the Emulator I had and got tired of playing one the keyboard. Amazingly almost done. Though it has good multiplayer value.

Might just play Secret of Mana with my friends when we chill make it a game we play together would be fun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
I'm always skeptical about HORI stuff but that does look cool.

I've been playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate religiously. When I get fed up with it I switch over to the NES games and play Wario's Woods obsessively but I'm pretty sure I'll never get past the wall (level 85 on A game, level 75 on B game) - it just gets too difficult with only 1 free line of space at that point.

Monster Hunter is worth every penny and I got it half off, hundreds of hours can come out of that game.

I want to get the Mana games but I may actually just wait to get the full 3D remake of Trials of Mana when it comes later. I never got into the originals because of the co-op aspect.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
Mario Maker 2 just came out. Anybody thinking about getting it?

I want it, but probably will wait until it comes down in price a little

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
Mario Maker 2 just came out. Anybody thinking about getting it?

I want it, but probably will wait until it comes down in price a little

I do want it, but I'll have to settle for watching videos for a while. It looks really fun though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
I was gonna get it, then saw some garbage levels and charged my mind lol but I’ll probsbly get it in a week or so
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:52 PM »
Switch Lite announced

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/10/20687801/nintendo-switch-lite-price-release-date-size-battery-life-motion-control-games

$199 price point.
Dedicated D-pad
No joy cons
Can't be docked

I already have a switch so I'll keep using what I have. Not sure what I think of the lite yet, but it definitely is nice to have the d-pad

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
That's pretty nice and a great entry point for people but jesus that yellow is a terrible color. The other two colors aren't as bad

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
It's a pretty good option for kids, I think, or someone who doesn't have a Switch or is primarily a 3DS player but wants to move on and start playing the Switch because the 3DS is unofficially dead now. Or even for someone who has a Switch and just wants a second more portable one for travel, since apparently it can communicate and trade data with original Switches. I won't get it but it's neat, and perhaps next year the Pro model will come out. I also like how everything is a single unit like an older handheld with no detachables, and there's a legit D-pad on there.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
For me it is interesting. I am not sure I think the Switch's current release schedule is worth the price of the normal Switch for me, but a budget model seems cool. Because I didn't have a WiiU and almost never played on one, those WiiU ports + the Switch games (and + the announced titles) are probably enough for me to take the dive. I bought a cheap 3DS a year back or so and enjoy having it. The Switch lite seems a bit like the successor to the PSP to me (games that are more like full console games), which I preferred back in the day.  A better battery life and a better screen seem nice as well (which reports are saying).

I do hope the build quality is higher than the joy-cons, because I know plenty of people with a Switch and a lot are having problems (specifically joystick drifting, which apparently has a high chance of occurring in any joycon over time due to how they are built).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2019, 07:26:13 AM »
For me it is interesting. I am not sure I think the Switch's current release schedule is worth the price of the normal Switch for me, but a budget model seems cool. Because I didn't have a WiiU and almost never played on one, those WiiU ports + the Switch games (and + the announced titles) are probably enough for me to take the dive. I bought a cheap 3DS a year back or so and enjoy having it. The Switch lite seems a bit like the successor to the PSP to me (games that are more like full console games), which I preferred back in the day.  A better battery life and a better screen seem nice as well (which reports are saying).

I do hope the build quality is higher than the joy-cons, because I know plenty of people with a Switch and a lot are having problems (specifically joystick drifting, which apparently has a high chance of occurring in any joycon over time due to how they are built).

Honestly, the battery life is barely better than the original model. Literally the range is only about 30-45 minutes more depending on what you're playing, and the screen might have slightly sharper visuals, but it's smaller than the original Switch. The joy-con drift problem is real although I think the fanbase exaggerates just how bad it is. My Switch (got it at midnight on launch, mind) didn't develop the Joy-Con drift until the system had logged over 900 hours of gameplay, and only occasionally drifts now, but is still a completely viable controller (not as good as the Pro Controller though), and I'm not certain on this but I read that Nintendo was addressing the Joy-Con drift in newer runs of the console, because the problem is caused by a ribbon that gets worn down and eventually improperly reads the input.

Just a heads up for your own sake; if you think $100 off is worth a slightly smaller but slightly sharper screen and a small battery performance, go for it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »

Honestly, the battery life is barely better than the original model. Literally the range is only about 30-45 minutes more depending on what you're playing, and the screen might have slightly sharper visuals, but it's smaller than the original Switch. The joy-con drift problem is real although I think the fanbase exaggerates just how bad it is. My Switch (got it at midnight on launch, mind) didn't develop the Joy-Con drift until the system had logged over 900 hours of gameplay, and only occasionally drifts now, but is still a completely viable controller (not as good as the Pro Controller though), and I'm not certain on this but I read that Nintendo was addressing the Joy-Con drift in newer runs of the console, because the problem is caused by a ribbon that gets worn down and eventually improperly reads the input.

Just a heads up for your own sake; if you think $100 off is worth a slightly smaller but slightly sharper screen and a small battery performance, go for it.

Oh, I know, the battery is reportedly 20% better or something like that. The screen remains to be seen, as  someone who takes 4-5 hour trips by train frequently that little bit extra comes in handy. But I will say I have no issue with the current Switch screen and I am not expecting anything major offcourse.

Over here it is 130 euros cheaper btw (which is almost 150 US dollars). For me it comes to how much worth playing on the tv is, probably not 147 dollars. Local MP on my tv with friends that can actually game has become a once or twice a year event and I am fine with playing on my classic systems in that regard.

As for the joycon drifting issue, it is likely due to the sticks wearing on the surface pads below it. I have watched several videos of tears downs, because I like seeing how these devices are made (my dad had a major in electronics, so we used to mess around with broken devices and repair them). The joycons are apparently easy to fix, just replace the analog stick unit and you are done. But for the handheld I doubt this will be the case, which is why it is potentially a major issue for me for at least the lite model.

As for the occurrence, probably bad luck, but two housemates own a Switch for less than a year and have this problem already. One of my friends as well. So in this case I take the internet complaining serious. Plus other issues like connection failures (when clicking them on the unit) and bluetooth issues (we live in an environment with a whole lot of signals). For a device I plan on using reliably at least more than six years (hell, my lauch PSP and launch DS both work like a charm still), so many people having issues in only two years is a sign for me personally to wait it out for a bit. Playing two years intensively and it starting to show issues for me personally is not a good sign. I have abused many controllers, some decades old now, and the last one that gave me issues was the N64, which had that terrible limp analog stick almost everyone from that time remembers.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »
That's pretty cool, but the whole appeal of the Switch for me is it's dual functionality as a handheld and a home console!

If I decide to buy a Switch, I will definitely get the regular version.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
I must be lucky. The drift is the only issue I've ever encountered with my Switch. No warping or bulging or scratched screens, and never an issue with clicking them into the rails on the side of the tablet proper. It sucks that people have had issues with their Switches :( I got the drift about 9 months after I got it. If it's any consolation, the Joy-Con analog stick is still stiff as hell. I've logged over 2500 hours into my Switch now I think, and it isn't loose at all. So hopefully the Switch Lite has some different parts in there to avoid the drift :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
So does this mean that Nintendo is doing away with the DS line?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
So does this mean that Nintendo is doing away with the DS line?

They haven't officially put the nail in the coffin, but there's only been 3 3DS games released this year, if I recall correctly. It's on life support right now, especially now that Pokemon has finally made the jump to the Switch.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
The 3DS is surely dead now. Yokai Watch 3 and Persona Q2 are near impossible to find, no retailer here had them, just two webshops for a very brief window. And this means Nintendo will go full force for the Switch, no more 3DS exclusives or ports/remakes of classic games like last year. These developments efforts will now hopefully go to the Switch. Initially it was their planning to keep the 3DS alive in the form of the very cheap 2DS and support it as a second pillar. But a cheaper Switch model seems a good approach. In a couple of years, this thing will likely cost less than 150 euros, meaning a whole lot more people will join the fun.

I must be lucky. The drift is the only issue I've ever encountered with my Switch. No warping or bulging or scratched screens, and never an issue with clicking them into the rails on the side of the tablet proper. It sucks that people have had issues with their Switches :( I got the drift about 9 months after I got it. If it's any consolation, the Joy-Con analog stick is still stiff as hell. I've logged over 2500 hours into my Switch now I think, and it isn't loose at all. So hopefully the Switch Lite has some different parts in there to avoid the drift :)

Well, it is not like they can't play any games, as you said. But I just wonder how this issue will evolve over many years of use (if at all) and there are certain types of games where it seems like it could be bothersome. I just don't want that when buying a new 200 euro device. As for the regular Switch, you can always decide to replace a joycon down the line or repair it (apparently quite easily and fairly cheap). 

And yeah, the N64 controller was offcourse an anomally, but that was understandable because it was the very early days of joysticks on controllers. I don't expect any controller these days to become "loose".

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »
Hmmm, if I buy a Switch this or the coming year, it seems like I will actually go for the newer regular model, it has a significantly improved battery. And that for me is a big plus. Hopefully some good sales around black Friday or something, because I still think 330 euros is too much.

And in regards to the drifting issue, a law firm is doing an investigation if there is potential for class action. https://chimicles.com/nintendo-switch-joy-con-drift-class-action-investigation/. Kotaku recently published an article that a quarter of their staff is having issues as well and it seems gaming media is reporting on the issue more. I hope at the very least Nintendo does a quiet revision, replacing the material underneath the sticks to prevent loose particles that influence how analog stick movement is registered.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2019, 11:21:14 AM »
Super nintendo games now available for switch online. FINALLY  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
Downloaded it right when it went online.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:26 AM »
https://kotaku.com/nintendos-new-fitness-game-puts-joy-cons-in-strange-new-1838063222

Not gonna lie, I kinda want this.

Dude... I do too. That looks awesome. I would play the hell out of this.

I've been playing Super Mario World 1 + 2 on the Switch the last couple nights and I am just so happy I have those on the console finally. I've been waiting so long. Can't wait for the games they'll add over time. Omg.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2019, 07:31:56 AM »

I've been playing Super Mario World 1 + 2 on the Switch the last couple nights and I am just so happy I have those on the console finally. I've been waiting so long. Can't wait for the games they'll add over time. Omg.

I'm glad they are available as well. I've been going back and forth between Super Mario world, F-Zero, Super Metroid, and Zelda 3.

I've played my switch more in the past couple days then I have in the past year. So happy the SNES games are available. They hold up really well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »

I'm glad they are available as well. I've been going back and forth between Super Mario world, F-Zero, Super Metroid, and Zelda 3.

I've played my switch more in the past couple days then I have in the past year. So happy the SNES games are available. They hold up really well.

Far-off hopes are Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger. CT wasn't on the SNES classic but SMRPG was and I reeeeeally want to play that (not on an emulator this time). Or any of the old-school Final Fantasies. A man can dream. Maybe they'll release Street Fighter II at some point after they're not afraid of it competing with the Street Fighter Collection sales, idk. They have dozens and dozens of ultra high quality classics to pick from.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2019, 08:55:06 AM »
It would be sweet to see CT as well as the FF series. Personally I would love to see Earthbound as I have almost no experience with it.

One thing I will say is I hope we don't have to wait an entire year again to get the next console available to Switch online. Whether its N64, genesis, Gamecube or whatever, lets get this stuff out sooner.

I know we will probably never get virtual console again, but its their loss. I probably would have spent loads of cash already if they had a robust offering. So far I have only given them 20 bucks for the year subscription, but what ever nintendo. You do you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »
I wonder if they'll even release an N64 Online service. I heard they're bringing/brought Doom 64 to the console but it's a standalone purchase. That seems to make more sense to me because it seems like a lot of work to translate N64 games to the Switch particularly with the controls.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
just got links awakening

so far, its awesome. Controls feel good. Graphics are fantastic and almost surreal. Last time I played this game was the DX version on the game boy color back in 99, lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »
just got links awakening

so far, its awesome. Controls feel good. Graphics are fantastic and almost surreal. Last time I played this game was the DX version on the game boy color back in 99, lol

Ahhh I want it so much. Link's Awakening is one of my favorite games ever. I'll pick it up soon - too busy going through the SNES games for the millionth time, lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »
My friend at work has been talking about getting a switch. I am gonna see if he wants to buy mine and then if he does, I think I am gonna get a switch Lite

I like the dedicated D-pad and I think it will fit better in my hand.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »
Well, my friend is giving a 100 for my old switch and I got the new one. The lite version is SOOOO much better, at least for me.

I think only once did I ever use the original in docked mode. It was always handheld and the lite fits sooo much better in my hand and feels way more sturdy. The battery life is little better as well, and its so damn nice having a dedicated D-pad.

My only nitpick is the grey is a little dull. I wish there would have been a strait black option, with black buttons. since I'm not interested in the other two colors, but besides that I love it.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:36:01 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
The lite looks pretty cool. I loved the psp (and vita, hardwarewise) back in the day and in a way this feels like a successor to those, a true console-like handheld.

As for myself, I am playing more docked than I anticipated (and played more Smash with friends than I anticipated), so am glad I got the original model (not that I had any say in that, I got it as an awesome gift). As I said in the other thread, I traded it in for the new model and the battery life is awesome. I am travelling a bit more than usual these days and now I have zero worries about running out.

I also bought a pro controller. The d-pad fucking sucks but the rest of the controller is simply fantastic. I love how it feels. I am thinking of ordering one of those SNES controllers for the SNES online games (which makes Switch Online totally worth it for me).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
It's all about battery life for me. Till they come out with another new Switch that further improves the quality of it, the one they released that has more battery life is a no brainer for me. The Lite would've been a must buy for me had they included the new battery improvements.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
IMO the d-pad on the pro controller is perfect. That thing is awesome for SNES online :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Honestly, as far a battery life goes. The Lite has been excellent. I played for a good 5 hours yesterday with no issue