Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26586 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2023, 05:25:50 AM »
I'm totally happy to spend 500 hours running around hyrule to do everything in this game lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but the more I see of the building stuff, the less keen I feel to dive deep into TOTK. Just seems like another massive time sink I don't really have time for.

I barely use the mechanic to build actual vehicles or elaborate things. For puzzles that require it, small inventions can be done quick and snappy, usually with a couple of parts or just one. And in some environments, there are pre-made vehicles. The beauty of this game is that it really is a sandbox and most problems can be tackled in several ways. Furthermore, there is an ability you can unlock that makes it way less time intensive in case you do want/need vehicles/large inventions.

BotW to me felt like it had too much bloat and repetetiveness, TotK is much more rewarding and varied.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #352 on: June 04, 2023, 05:11:29 PM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but the more I see of the building stuff, the less keen I feel to dive deep into TOTK. Just seems like another massive time sink I don't really have time for.

As I get older, I appreciate the 20 hour or less gaming experience more and more.

I am 25 hours in, I've done 2 temples. And I feel largely finished with it. Similar to Elden Ring, I just can't enjoy being 20 hours into a game and knowing there's like 80 left. Games are just too long these days.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2023, 05:56:58 PM »
I am 25 hours in, I've done 2 temples. And I feel largely finished with it. Similar to Elden Ring, I just can't enjoy being 20 hours into a game and knowing there's like 80 left. Games are just too long these days.

Funny. Once I "complete" a game, meaning defeating Ganon for example, I am done, and everyone else in Hyrule who lost all their Cuccos or whatever will just have to deal with it. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2023, 06:44:22 PM »

As I get older, I appreciate the 20 hour or less gaming experience more and more.

I'm the opposite. After doing an open world game binge last year I'm totally in the pocket for a 100+ hour game. Right now I'm 110 or so hours into TOTK and there's still a lot more things on the checklist. I like bouncing around so things don't get stale. I'm also a sucker for upgrading things and boy so I have a ton of equipment with very little maxed out.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2023, 10:58:23 AM »

That's the exact thing that happened to me with Breath of the Wild, and the last 3 Far Cry games I played. It's really game dependent though. I would have happily taken another hundred hours in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: June 05, 2023, 01:11:56 PM »

Elden Ring I eventually put 110 hours into, but I felt like I was mastering key gameplay loop throughout the experience. It also helps that Elden Ring's difficulty progression is much steeper than BOTWs for example, so you always feel like you are progressing towards the next big milestone, rather than completing busywork.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2023, 05:01:01 AM »
BotW took me three and a half years to complete. I treat large games like book series or TV series. Binging it all can be too much.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2023, 05:57:12 AM »
BotW took me three and a half years to complete. I treat large games like book series or TV series. Binging it all can be too much.

My problem is if I don't binge it, I get lost because the games are so big. Even taking a week off from Skyrim was enough to make me completely forget everything I was doing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2023, 09:49:47 AM »

My problem is if I don't binge it, I get lost because the games are so big. Even taking a week off from Skyrim was enough to make me completely forget everything I was doing.

It's part of the reason I haven't gone back to BotW.  When I try, it's just hard to get back into the groove. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »
Mario RPG remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5PJx7rlds

Looks good, I hope they add new stuff to it besides the improved graphics. This is one of my favorite Mario games (might be the favorite).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2023, 09:30:52 AM »
TIL there was a Mario RPG way back when. I'm amazed I never heard of the original given how many of my friends had SNES systems back in the day. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2023, 10:18:32 AM »
If you like turn-based RPGs, and you enjoy Mario games, then you might enjoy it. It's a fun game. The last time I played it when the SNES Classic was released (2017/2018) it was still enjoyable.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #363 on: June 21, 2023, 10:56:39 AM »
I've actually never played a turn-based game that I know of. Is that a choose your own story kind of thing?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: June 21, 2023, 12:43:43 PM »
Turn-base RPG (Maybe I'm using the wrong term) refers to games where the battle system is based on taking turns when attacking. Usually players stand on one side while the enemy stands on the other side. You and the enemies take turns when attacking. These type of games usually prioritize strategy rather than fast-paced action.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #365 on: June 21, 2023, 12:46:01 PM »
I've actually never played a turn-based game that I know of. Is that a choose your own story kind of thing?

You've never played a classic Final Fantasy or a Pokemon game?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #366 on: June 21, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
Gotcha! Thanks guys.   

I've never played a FF game, but I've played Pokemon Blue, Yellow, Stadium, Sliver (the best gen), and Y. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #367 on: June 21, 2023, 01:10:06 PM »
I woke up to this amazing news. Super Mario RPG was always in my SNES, and I still have the game. I am excited to see how all characters look in this new design
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2023, 01:22:15 PM »
TIL there was a Mario RPG way back when. I'm amazed I never heard of the original given how many of my friends had SNES systems back in the day. 

The first 2 paper marios were of a similar vein too.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2023, 04:16:38 PM »
I love Mario RPG's. The Mario & Luigi series in particular and it saddens me the devs behind those games never got to make a switch game.

Thus, this remake looks great to me. I have only played the original for a bit on the snes classic, so this will be a mostly new experience for me.

Overall, a good direct. I am curious about Pikmin, never played one. And the new 2D Mario shows promise. Finally a 2D Mario that doesn't look so generic and that features new gameplay ideas. The New Super Mario series always looked kinds bland.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »
Overall, a good direct. I am curious about Pikmin, never played one. And the new 2D Mario shows promise. Finally a 2D Mario that doesn't look so generic and that features new gameplay ideas. The New Super Mario series always looked kinds bland.

:omg: WHAT!? I don't ever follow these things, but I gotta check this out!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #371 on: June 21, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #372 on: June 22, 2023, 02:28:15 AM »

:omg: WHAT!? I don't ever follow these things, but I gotta check this out!

It is called Super Mario Bros. Wonder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JStAYvbeSHc

My main problem with many Mario games (outside Odyssey) was that in recent time there was often zero originality in it. No original characters, no new enemies, no new zones etc. I really enjoyed Mario 3D World (and Land) despite of it, but I do wish Nintendo is more creative with the Mario ip. This one does finally mix things up for the 2d Mario games.

GUYS, GUYS, GUYS

Metal gear  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxL0HnOQZ28&ab_channel=NintendoofAmerica

It is nice to have a collection on all platforms, but I would've liked Twin Snakes (even as a separate Nintendo release if that was the only way). Curious about the MGS3 remake, but I assume that won't be on the Switch (maybe the successor?).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »
My main problem with many Mario games (outside Odyssey) was that in recent time there was often zero originality in it. No original characters, no new enemies, no new zones etc. I really enjoyed Mario 3D World (and Land) despite of it, but I do wish Nintendo is more creative with the Mario ip. This one does finally mix things up for the 2d Mario games.

Yeah, I get that. I loved Mario 3D World because I could play with my kids. Also I got more enjoyment out of Bowser's Fury than I anticipated.

Man, the reaction videos to the Mario RPG release are amazing! I love seeing people my age get excited about a remake of a game that was originally released when we were kids.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2023, 07:37:56 PM »

Yeah, I get that. I loved Mario 3D World because I could play with my kids. Also I got more enjoyment out of Bowser's Fury than I anticipated.

Man, the reaction videos to the Mario RPG release are amazing! I love seeing people my age get excited about a remake of a game that was originally released when we were kids.

I just figured they were gonna release RPG through the virtual console. I was not expecting an actual remake. But it completely makes sense. Hopefully it's the same difficulty as the original which was a nice difficulty.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: June 26, 2023, 07:47:52 AM »

I checked out some of the reactions just now, some of them seem genuine, but my god a good chunk of them are so exaggerated  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2023, 12:41:35 AM »
Took me a little while, but I finally beat Super Mario Odyssey yesterday. Although I was a bit disappointed at first, it slowly grew on me, and the levels kept getting better and better. The boss fights are pretty good, music is great, and the many gameplay options are very fun. I'm still quite fond of the Galaxy games, but this was great.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2023, 09:18:08 AM »
Slowly making my way in to TotK, partially because I am playing with my 5 year old and we are talking about things as I go, and partially because I am just slow. I liked BotW, but didn't love it. It was a pleasant course correction coming off TP and SS. Yet there were elements in the game, and elements I missed, that kept it from being a landmark Zelda game. I don't know how this game will shape up, but I enjoyed the first couple hours of this more than I did the first couple hours of BotW.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »
I ordered Pikmin 4. I really enjoyed the demo and it looks surprisingly good even on the big tv. Never really played one, so it all felt fresh.

Slowly making my way in to TotK, partially because I am playing with my 5 year old and we are talking about things as I go, and partially because I am just slow. I liked BotW, but didn't love it. It was a pleasant course correction coming off TP and SS. Yet there were elements in the game, and elements I missed, that kept it from being a landmark Zelda game. I don't know how this game will shape up, but I enjoyed the first couple hours of this more than I did the first couple hours of BotW.

I personally think it is way better than BotW. That game felt empty and repetitive after a while. While TotK has some of the same flaws, it has so many absolutely brilliant elements and moments. Much more variety as well. It is my game of the year so far and I doubt anything will top it (despite Starfield, Armored Core, Spidey 2, major Cyberpunk expansion,).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »
I finally finished the main story in TOTK yesterday. I took my time finding shrines, and doing side quests and what not. I'll put it down for a few and will get back to it at some point to continue with the side quests I missed. I don't play enough games to say its the game of year, but damn was it fun. I'm sure that similar to BOTW we will get DLC eventually.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #380 on: August 08, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »
I bought a whole bunch of Switch games over the last few months. A lot of sales have been going on (finally), so I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, Advance Wars 1+2 re-boot camp, Pokemon Violet, Shin Megami Tensei V, No More Heroes 3, and Paper Mario Origami King. A lot yes, but all in the range of 10-25 euro's in flash sales and some you get more in with trade-in deals in nearby stores. I mean for example Paper Mario new for 12 euros is too good a deal, can't help myself at that point.

I did buy Pikmin 4 at full price via the Nintendo shop with some extra stuff.

Pikmin 4 is fantastic, loads of fun and it is visually quite appealing. If this is Nintendo embracing the Unreal engine, I am all for it.

Others I will check eventually, mainly when I am travelling for work or when I am away to family (which will happen a lot this year).

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2023, 03:29:18 PM »
finished pikmin 4 a few weeks ago, fantastic game. been playing through the tales of symphonia remaster since.

what should i play next?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2023, 08:54:57 PM »
what should i play next?

I enjoyed the Metroid Prime Remaster, but I loved the Prime games since they came out.

I am having much more fun with Tears of the Kingdom than I did with BotW. I turned on the Pro HUD and turned off the map quest markers, and that is making a more noticeable difference than I thought it would. Making Zonia devices isn't up my alley, but the abilities are much more enjoyable that stasis, bombs, & magnesis. I am also taking more time exploring the different regions, instead of opening up a map section, then heading for the next map tower, as I did in BotW.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #383 on: August 23, 2023, 09:28:04 PM »
Bomb rush cyber funk is so awesome. I am loving it  :metal

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2023, 08:36:45 AM »
what should i play next?

I enjoyed the Metroid Prime Remaster, but I loved the Prime games since they came out.

I am having much more fun with Tears of the Kingdom than I did with BotW. I turned on the Pro HUD and turned off the map quest markers, and that is making a more noticeable difference than I thought it would. Making Zonia devices isn't up my alley, but the abilities are much more enjoyable that stasis, bombs, & magnesis. I am also taking more time exploring the different regions, instead of opening up a map section, then heading for the next map tower, as I did in BotW.

Metroid Prime remaster is on my list!

i went with Wildfrost and preordered Sea of Stars. gotta keep scratching the jrpg itch
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!