Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26898 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2022, 05:59:46 AM »
New Pokemon games look like trash (visually). To be expected, I know. People criticise stuff like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty to be a yearly massproduced thing, but at least those have big development teams and production values. In my opinion Pokemon is the biggest offender. Some random JRPG's on even the Switch look so much better.

Also, I was looking at Pokemon Sword and Shield trailers and that looks a bit better to me? Is it because the newer ones are open world?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2022, 06:07:22 AM »
I think Nintendo has cracked the console code for their demographic from a hardware (console - not specs) standpoint. The idea of the switch is damn near perfect if Nintendo's intention going forward is to have their mobile and their home console devices be one in the same. I really don't think there's any reason to change it. It's ideal. They really need to focus on power going forward. I don't even care that much about graphics, I just want games to play well. I tried Tropico 6 on my Switch light, and it's sinful that that game was ever allowed on the store. Not only are the graphics disgustingly poor, but even in that state the game runs like absolute garbage. It's legitimately unplayable. That could be a developer problem more than anything, but it's not just that game. Even Breath of the Wild, something designed for last gen, stutters and chops like crazy on my Switch Lite.   

I would be completely content with Nintendo keeping the Switch as a long term platform with them just beefing up its specs every 6-7 years.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2022, 06:21:07 AM »
I would love a more powerful Switch. I'm definitely not a graphics whore but I would like something a little more powerful as a lot of games, especially ports, struggle even in docked mode.

The new Pokémon games do look like trash, visually. GameFreak just stinks at making things look high quality although they do good with art style. Arceus looks awful too. The BDSP remakes and Let's Go look far better in comparison. Sword and Shield don't even look good. I wish they spent more time and money making them look better. There need to be some higher standards haha

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
The remaster of Chrono Cross just came out.

Although I didn't love it quite as much as Chrono Trigger, I still really enjoyed Chrono Cross as a kid, and its got some of the most beautiful video game music that I've ever come across.

Probably gonna pick this up.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »
Breath of the Wild sequel has a title and release date finally!

Tears of the Kingdom - May 12, 2023.

Nothing else from the Direct interest me
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2022, 09:06:02 AM »
I think I counted like 7 Farming games (and bump that to like, 11, if you factor in the "Daily Task" and "Crafting" JRPGs they announced).

But Bayonetta 3 and Tears of the Kingdom are nice entries for the Switch that will pull it through for me. I'll be hung up on Xenoblade 3 for awhile still, anyway.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »
Goldeneye with online play?

Ok Nintendo, have my online subscription, you magnificent bastards.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2022, 06:09:03 PM »

Poke'mon Stadium 1 and 2, and Mario Party 1,2, and 3 drew my interest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2022, 08:05:02 PM »
Mario Party 1 seems like a bad idea.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2022, 10:40:38 AM »
I really want to get the Switch.  Been putting it off for a while.  I guess the OLED is the top of the line model?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2022, 10:46:24 AM »
Never thought we would see goldeneye. That is awesome

Offline Skeever

« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »
I really want to get the Switch.  Been putting it off for a while.  I guess the OLED is the top of the line model?

You're not getting any performance boost but you will get the OLED screen. So yeah, it's the way to go, but it's really not a big deal if you go Switch regular. Just don't get a Lite.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »
Ok, thanks!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline billboy73

« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
Can't wait to play Goldeneye again when it drops!  Lately I've been enjoying Resident Evil 6.  Never played this one until I picked it up on sale, and I like it so far.  RE 4 is still the best of the series though.  I'm gonna grab the Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection later today.  Loved the NES TMNT games back in the day.  It will be great to play the first game without the slowdown and sprite flicker.  That water level used to give me nightmares. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2022, 01:08:04 PM »

You're not getting any performance boost but you will get the OLED screen. So yeah, it's the way to go, but it's really not a big deal if you go Switch regular. Just don't get a Lite.

My Lite gets quite a bit of use. I like it outside of it's lackluster multiplayer abilities.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »

I think it's awesome they added an online multiplayer to this game, but I personally wouldn't touch it.  Goldeneye is a game that did not age well at all.  Granted, that's from playing it on a N64, they would have to change the game play to make it work for me on the switch. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2022, 08:18:06 PM »

I'm excited but very skeptical. Mario kart 64 online was not great, hell playing two player on one switch left much to be desired

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2023, 09:33:09 AM »
Hey there friends!
Anyone looking to get rid of any Nintendo Switch games they're done playing?
Just curious! If you have any let me know, my kids got a Lite and we are looking for games, shoot me your titles and prices to my DM.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2023, 08:37:04 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2023, 06:37:58 AM »
I'm a bit out of the know. Is the only way I can play Goldeneye on my Switch by being subscribed to that monthly service?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2023, 07:23:03 AM »
I'm a bit out of the know. Is the only way I can play Goldeneye on my Switch by being subscribed to that monthly service?

Nintendo Switch online +Expansion Pack. They have monthly or yearly options I think.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2023, 07:24:16 AM »
Lame. I'd have happily forked over $50 just for this. I don't play the Switch often enough to justify the monthly or annual subscription. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2023, 08:24:25 AM »
I honestly don't get the excitement.  Has anyone actually played Goldeneye (on N64) recently?  It's a terrible experience mostly because FPS games have come a long way and the controls are just terrible. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »
I haven't played Goldeneye recently, but did play through Perfect Dark not too long ago. 

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2023, 09:18:59 AM »
I honestly don't get the excitement.  Has anyone actually played Goldeneye (on N64) recently?  It's a terrible experience mostly because FPS games have come a long way and the controls are just terrible.

I have very little nostalgia for Goldeneye or the N64 in general. That being put up front, I highly doubt there's any fun to be had in playing it now.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »
I have massive nostalgia for Goldeneye. I do think it aged poorly, but I will have fun with it regardless.

The online functionality of the Switch seems neat, but I doubt any of my friends that own a switch are into this game  :sadpanda: Most of my gaming friends are 5 or more years younger, so they grew up with the ps2/Gc/Xbox or even Wii as their first console.

I will probably play this one on gamepass, as I already have a sub for that.  I hope the xbox version will be the cancelled xbox 360 version of the past, as the remasters for Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Perfect Dark were excellent. But I assume it is the 64 version at higher resolution (hopefully with non-N64 framerate).

And talking switch, I started a job that has more travel (cra), so I will be using it more again. I bought more Switch games than I should have recently, for very cheap (there were many deals), so have quite the backlog.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2023, 07:20:02 PM »
I have massive nostalgia for Goldeneye. I do think it aged poorly...

The happiest (sober) times of my collegiate life were spent playing Goldeneye, Super Mario Kart, and Kart 64. I've played both Kart games over the years since then, but cannot honestly recall if I've played Goldeneye in 20 years. I feel like I hooked it up to my N64 emulator at some point, but cannot swear to that. So I can't speak to how it has aged.

I don't have Nintendo Online or whatever is required to play this, and I'm not sure I have a burning desire to play it anyway.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm gonna do the 7 day trial, play the shit out of it and then go on with my life

Nevermind, the trial doesn't include n64 games  :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 08:10:33 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2023, 07:02:47 AM »
Saw some tiktoks of it on xbox and it may look to be better for the controllers today.  That would make me potentially change how I feel.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #274 on: January 28, 2023, 09:51:20 AM »
Broke down and got a subscription to play goldeneye.

Had to play around with the controls for a while to get something playable, but its doable. Its definitely dated, but I'm having fun with it for the most part.

Back in 98/99 I was so utterly obsessed with this game.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »
The xbox version is a different version, not quite a remaster, but it has modern controls, it plays well.

Massive nostalgia, but I still think games like Turok (2) and Doom 64 aged better.

Has anyone tried the online mode on Switch? Is it only friend invites or can you hook up with strangers? (never used online functionalities of the Nintendo classics).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2023, 03:38:01 PM »
I haven't messed with the multiplayer yet, but I did beat the main game  :lol

Of course there's two higher difficulties to go through, so I'll mess with those next.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2023, 03:46:47 PM »
I've played mario kart 64 multiplayer for a bit and honestly the online component isn't really great. I don't have a lot of high hopes for goldeneye 64 for switch which makes it even more shitty that the xbox version doesn't have multiplayer.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2023, 12:09:57 AM »
Now that I'm at a point where I'm back on my feet financially, I'm considering a Switch.

If I'm primarily going to play on the TV, is there a reason to get the OLED? Or should I just save some money and buy a regular ol' Switch?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2023, 03:41:59 AM »
OLEDs main advantages are the better screen and battery life IIRC, so if you don't plan to use it as a portable system you can probably save some money. That being said, as someone who has done 90% of their switch gaming in portable mode, you'd be surprised how much portability increases the opportunities to have a quick play.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman