Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26561 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »

Without having played this game but having seen the recent trailer, isn't this because the right stick is normally used for your sword/item usage? This is a port of a Wii game that was built around motion plus back in the day.

That said, I can trade in Link's Awakening and get this for very cheap. I am considering it.

Yeah, now that I got the sword it makes more sense. The right stick acts in place of the motion controls, so the sword swings in the way that you move the stick.

I'm a little more used to it now, so we'll see how the rest of the game goes. One thing I will say its a very hard game to play after having spent 150+ hours in BotW and loving every minute of it. Its hard to go back to this style.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:45:23 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
NSO is cheap already but I'm not sure I want to pay more just for a small selection of N64 and Genesis games. I might very well buy that N64 controller for emulating, though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
N64 and sega genesis games are coming to switch online

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22688780/nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pack-64-sega-genesis-controllers

While I don't think it's likely I really, really hope MarioKart 64 is online multiplayer.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2021, 03:41:29 AM »
I'd like to check out Paper Mario and play some Mario Kart. But really, some of these games are better played elsewhere (remakes, remasters, or just vastly superior sequels). I do want Goldeneye 64, my most played N64 game, but that ain't happening.

As for the Genesis. The Genesis collection by SEGA is frequently like 15 dollars and has like 40 games.

I'd honestly be more excited for Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy advanced titles. Many of those actually held up better than the early 3D games.

And they better have adjusted that analog stick's internals so it won't turn limp after a year or so.

Edit: The SEGA collection (SEGA genesis classics) is literally on sale right now for 15 dollars on the Switch and has more than 50 games.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:50:41 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2021, 06:48:54 AM »
N64 and sega genesis games are coming to switch online

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22688780/nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pack-64-sega-genesis-controllers

While I don't think it's likely I really, really hope MarioKart 64 is online multiplayer.

That would be a disaster! I love it. I hope so too.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »
I assume it will have online capabilities in the same way the NES and SNES online collections do (online friends can join as second players within the systems that exist in the original titles). I also assume this would mean split screen still, as I doubt Nintendo will touch these titles up.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2021, 10:09:05 AM »
Bought Metroid Dread and have it pre downloaded for Friday.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
Bought Metroid Dread and have it pre downloaded for Friday.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Yup, picking up my physical edition on Friday.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »
Could go for a Metroid Fix right now but not sure I want to drop $60 on this. GIMME PRIME 4!!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2021, 07:08:19 AM »
I wasn't sure if I wanted a physical copy or digital, going to go for digital to switch between games easier. I'm ready, this will serve as an appetizer for Prime 4 :mehlin

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
I am glad it reviews well, but there are so many fantastic 2d metroidvania games for a couple of bucks out there that I am not really all that interested in laying down 60 bucks for it. It does not even remotely look AAA either.

Sorry to be a downer on Nintendo so often, but I am just not impressed with the Switch lineup 4,5 years in.

I will say that the new Kirby game looks nice. After decades of minor variations on the same gameplay, it feels like a new step for the franchise. Hopefully Yoshi is next.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:43:52 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2021, 08:33:22 AM »
About an hour in and Dread is very decent. Probably the best controlling 2D metroid I've played so far.

Totally agree $60 is too much and I really hope that if people don't buy it because of the price that Nintendo doesn't assume its because people don't like Metroid.

Sorry to be a downer on Nintendo so often, but I am just not impressed with the Switch lineup 4,5 years in.

Me either. My switch as been in a drawer for more than a year. I took it out for Metroid and Diablo II (a 20 year old game) and boy would I have loved to have virtual console with all the old consoles right off the bat instead of just some NES and SNES games with switch online. And sure N64 and more is coming, but its almost been an entire console cycle at this point  :P

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »
I bought a pair of Switch Lites thinking there'd be a ton of games my GF and I could play together... there's basically nothing. Almost all multiplayer and co-op experiences are only offered in couch mode. We could use one Switch Lite and a pair of Joycons for player 2, but that's stupid. I wanted to buy two copies of Unravel Two and Mario Party, but we wouldn't be able to play co-op together on each of our switches. We'd have to find a way to each share the same Switch Lite screen. It's so dumb.

I thought the entire point of making a handheld console like that was so you and your friends could use them on the go together. I feel kind of deceived. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »
I thought that similar to Mario Kart and Mario Maker, you could do local multiplayer where each person is at their own Switch? I'll check when I get home but I believe there is a way of doing it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
I thought that similar to Mario Kart and Mario Maker, you could do local multiplayer where each person is at their own Switch? I'll check when I get home but I believe there is a way of doing it.

Some games work. Last of Us and Mario Golf play just fine on individual Lites. Mario Kart is one of the other games that works that way as well I believe.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
I bought a switch because of breath of the wild but I've been incredibly underwhelmed by the console overall. I'll dust it off for the multiplayer mariokart 64 experience but otherwise I'm done supporting Nintendo.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2021, 10:39:59 AM »
I bought a switch because of breath of the wild but I've been incredibly underwhelmed by the console overall. I'll dust it off for the multiplayer mariokart 64 experience but otherwise I'm done supporting Nintendo.

I'm sort of there as well. I guess shame on me more not diving deeper, but I expected there to be more legacy stuff and a much larger emphasis on on-the-go gaming.

And I know that graphics aren't everything, but these days, power is. I knew the Switch was lacking compared to last gen, but it's an incredibly weak console. I wonder if it'll be able to handle the III/Vice City/San Andreas bundle that's getting released for it. Despite having it on PC, I was thinking of getting Tropico 6 for the Switch, but the reviews on the Lite were basically like "don't bother". Everything is remodeled to a terribly low resolution, and the game looks like it drops into single fps territory as soon as you start moving the camera around.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
Honestly the steam deck has me more excited. It has more power and I'll be able to play the hundreds of steam games I already own, whereas Nintendo rarely puts games on sale.

It's blows my mind that only now can you use Bluetooth headphones on the switch, and everyone forgives Nintendo with the excuse of "oh it's just Nintendo"

/end mildly buzzed rant

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
Well, I guess I got a physical copy after all. My brother gifted me the special edition.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »
I wonder with people saying that they are disappointed with the Switch, is it just that you enjoyed Breath of the Wild and maybe Mario Odyssey but haven't been checking out the other stuff the platform has?

Those two are of course the heavy hitters, but the thing is, Nintendo believe in a certain kind of video game, and if you're going to enjoy their consoles you have to be open-minded and just go with the flow of what they are pushing. There's stuff like splatoon, xenoblade, smash, mario golf, paper mario, astral chain, yoshi's wool World tropical freeze, etc... I just wonder when people say they are disappointed if they haven't just overlooked all that and assumed they wouldn't like it. Not everything Nintendo does is for me, but almost everything they do is a fun video game experience that takes me back to the type of game that I grew up playing and enjoying.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »
I held off on the Switch for a long time, despite really wanting to play Breath of the Wild. We ended up getting one for the family to help my 10 year old with all the time she was spending at home, with virtual learning, not going to the pool, rec center, spending less time with friends, etc... We got some fun family time out of Kart and Just Dance, which she really wanted after playing at a friend's house. I enjoyed BotW, though would have spent many more hours back in my gaming days (before marriage and family). Kart is always a fun diversion, and Just Dance was much more fun than I anticipated. I got Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury as a gift, which I liked. These days it gets some use either with an indie game or me and my kid playing something together. Was it worth the purchase price? If it gives us good bonding time at home at a time when our options are limited, yeah, it was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2021, 09:20:10 AM »
I wonder with people saying that they are disappointed with the Switch, is it just that you enjoyed Breath of the Wild and maybe Mario Odyssey but haven't been checking out the other stuff the platform has?

Those two are of course the heavy hitters, but the thing is, Nintendo believe in a certain kind of video game, and if you're going to enjoy their consoles you have to be open-minded and just go with the flow of what they are pushing. There's stuff like splatoon, xenoblade, smash, mario golf, paper mario, astral chain, yoshi's wool World tropical freeze, etc... I just wonder when people say they are disappointed if they haven't just overlooked all that and assumed they wouldn't like it. Not everything Nintendo does is for me, but almost everything they do is a fun video game experience that takes me back to the type of game that I grew up playing and enjoying.

There's quite a ton of Indie games too. Most are shit, and pointless and are on sale for like 90% off. But those gems are good. And it's nice being able to play some of these Indie games on a handheld rather than on a computer screen, such as To The Moon.

My friend uses it for Youtube, to play Eternal, and is infatuated with visual novels. There are tons of indie multiplayer games but are way more fun with more than 2 people.

For me, depending on what genre and style of game you prefer is what matters when choosing a game system. I like the Switch because I can take it with me and play my friends using my switch by using Local Online Play.

Local Online Play only works when you are connected to wi-fi. I also think it works without wi-fi if all the people have a copy of the game. I am not too sure about that though.

I do like how Smash Bros. does it by letting you use your Mii characters, and spirits you acquired, to play against your pal sitting right next to you. It's fun doing this when he has a tv, I would alternate from looking at his screen to looking at my switch screen.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2021, 07:22:11 PM »

Yeah, I concur with this. Of course you're not going to get stuff like The Last of Us or whatever on a Nintendo console because that's not what Nintendo does. But other consoles also aren't putting out games like Odyssey; it's just a completely different mindset and set of priorities. I get Nintendo consoles because that's where you play Nintendo games.

Unless people only want to have one console, I guess, which is a simplicity I can respect if not agree with.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2021, 07:20:05 AM »
Yeah, I personally only have a Switch at the moment. I haven't had a PlayStation since...2007 I think, and an XBox since 2017. I just don't game as much anymore and the Nintendo Franchise games are the only ones I'm interested in (lately). I am sure there will be a game that will make me want to get an Xbox again (Fable 4?) or a PS, just has not happened yet.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2021, 04:43:16 AM »

I own plenty of Switch games and got to play plenty of them due to lockdowns. And I most certainly am not expecting Sony-esque AAA experiences at all, nor do I really want them on a Switch like device. Firstly, I do feel WiiU+3DS has a way more impressive output (and I very much include BotW as it is both a WiiU and Switch game) than 4,5 years of Switch and I doubt that will change much. Some of the most majorly marketed Switch releases are WiiU ports and even a Wii port.

But it is not only that, the market has changed. Indies often do a better job at offering vibrant gameplay first experiences. Hades, Hollow Knight, Bug Fables, Celeste, Steamworld Dig 2 etc. all are quite superior to Nintendo's (2d) output throughout the last years. And that list is getting more extensive. Furthermore, games like Psychonauts 2, the Ratchet games, Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair, Sackboy Adventure etc. are perhaps not always quite "there" compared to Nintendo's better efforts, but not too far off either. For me, at least.

That is not to say the Switch does not have excellent games you need a Switch for (I especially love Fire Emblem Three houses, Luigis Mansion 3, and Smash Ultimate), but which major platform doesn't. For me thus far it is the most dissapointing library out of all the devices I own/have owned. I expected more for a Nintendo device that is selling like crazy (so large playerbase and investment potential) and has their handheld and console efforts combined.

I appreciate that stuff like Metroid 4 (an outsourced distaster) and Retro studios (no game in 8 years) can go wrong, but in the end that does not change my dissapointment.

Furthermore, their rereleases are dissapointing compared to the competition. And more expensive as well. And if there is one company that has a large library of classics, it is Nintendo.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2021, 08:00:25 AM »
So I put about 7 hours into Metroid Dread and it's really fun so far. Though I have a feeling I am very close to the end, which is a bummer because I am enjoying the game a lot, but we will see.

It feels and plays great.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
I'm also really enjoying it.

Been playing the 2D ones for decades and Dread really freshen's everything up in a way I didn't think was possible. And it controls like a dream.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »

For me it just feels like everything is half-assed, or at best, shy of its true potential and not quite finished. I was done and bored with the new Mario Golf after about a week (I beat it in one night). Meanwhile, the Nintendo 64 version which included things like birdie trophies and mini golf (both absent from the new Switch version), still delivers better value two decades later.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
I currently have the Family Plan because of my nephew. Going from $35 to 80$ seems a bit much. Not sure I'll do it  :\

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:52:55 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2021, 11:27:33 AM »
That price increase is rediculous

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
That's insane and a big hell no from me. If it was a ton of N64 games, fine, but I refuse to have paid DLC for a game I have no desire to own be bundled into the deal.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Its very lame. I Really only would get it for the N64 games, but all that I really want to play is Majora's mask and F zero x, which aren't even available at launch and god knows when they will be considering Nintendo slow drips its online retro game releases. All I really want to do I buy what I want, but oh well.

And where the hell is Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch already too while I'm at it.  :P