Author Topic: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 26560 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Official Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »
I haven't picked the bundle up yet but it's still a bummer that Mario 64 didn't get as updated as I hoped it could be. The PC modded 64 looks fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wH9mVbOvk&t=152s

Yeah the first thing I thought of when I fired it up was "wow, this is the exact 96 version", which is still nice to have. But in comparison to the original SNES Allstars game, Super Mario and part 3 were significantly updated for SNES, so seeing that video makes me wish they did a little bit more with it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
I haven't picked the bundle up yet but it's still a bummer that Mario 64 didn't get as updated as I hoped it could be. The PC modded 64 looks fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wH9mVbOvk&t=152s

The ps2 port is where it is at  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Ic5oCCcrg

Never ceases to amaze what kind of ports hobbyists make as soon as they get their hands on source codes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
Now that's the way to play it  :lol

More random thoughts on Sunshine

1. The controls are a little whack. The mechanics rely heavily on shooting the water cannon at targets, but it doesn't control like a dual stick shooter. you have to press a dedicated button to lock into shoot mode and its tricky, especially when trying to dodge enemies.

2. I've heard things about the camera. It definitely fights you but its not a deal breaker.

3. There's no day/night cycle so theres this huge sun/shadow line in the town that permanently stays there and never moves so its just kind of funny to see.

I still very much enjoying it though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:28:31 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
Enjoying Sunshine too, my only complaint thus far is that I have had noticable framerate dips, which is something that is usually very rare in Mario (or Nintendo) titles. Sunshine reminds me a bit of Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Also a vacation resort and a lot of NPC's and more dialouge than I am used seeing in Mario platformers. I think the atmosphere is nice.

Galaxy is great, but I am not sure I am a fan of using gyro on the controller. It works fine, but on the Switch with a controller the motion stuff feels more like a distraction than a feature. And on a regular Switch using the touch screen while playing a hectic platformer that requires your hands on the buttons fucking sucks. The portability of Galaxy on the regular Switch for me is limited.

Mario 64 is cool, the camera sucks though. Really wish they touched that up in particular.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
Yeah, it was a little surreal experiencing 64's camera again. Another update that would have been nice.

Galaxy is awesome. I only got to rent it when I had a Wii so its almost new to me. I will say its a little disorienting going upside down and around, but I also think that's a very cool and unique aspect of the game.

I'm also enjoying the satisfying challenge of all 3 games.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »
For those interested, special Nintendo direct soon:

https://youtu.be/IQz_ECTGGyA
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
Definitely getting Metroid Dread and Botw II

Would have liked to see some Metroid Prime 4 info, but oh well. Its disappointing that prime trilogy doesn't seem like its coming to Switch anytime soon.

Never played any prime game yet sadly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:41:40 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:46 AM »
Metroid Dread looks good. Surely going to get it.

Bummed about no news about Metroid Prime 4.

The expansion for Hyrules Warrior looks good.

I was expecting more for BOTW 2, but happy we got new footage.

Everything else I didn't necessarily care for.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
I think this direct was pretty rough. We are four years into the Switch now and I am expecting more AAA-like Nintendo games to be honest.

Metroid looked very middling visually to me, but I did enjoy Samus Returns and this is a continuation of that, so I have high hopes it will be a good game.

Shin Megami Tensei V might be interesting, it has an anime look that I do actually appreciate. I dislike Persona, but I always wanted to check out the main series. Breath of the Wild 2 looks fantastic, but at this point I know little more than when it was announced aside from some nice world images.

Most other games I did not care for honestly. Advance Wars was great on the gameboy back in the day and probably is still fun, but these days there are tons and tons of great tactics games that, in my opinion, offer a lot more..

The good news is that I have been seeing sales for mainline Nintendo games lately and the price of Switch games seems to have gone down by like 10 euros.  I will buy Skyward when it is 30.

Also, wasn't a Switch pro expected this year?  Maybe the chip shortage affected those plans?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2021, 09:25:58 AM »
I think this direct was pretty rough. We are four years into the Switch now and I am expecting more AAA-like Nintendo games to be honest.

Sometimes I forget that the switch is 4 years old. I will say, I don't game as much as I used to, but when I do, it's usually Nintendo games and I feel like I've had no interest in buying much of the new stuff. Most of the time I'm replaying a Zelda game, Metroid, Mario Kart or Mario Maker (online is still fun, when you have a good connection). I think the Hyrules Warriors expansion will keep me entertained for a while.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2021, 08:27:17 PM »
And in addition to us being 4 years into the console, Switch online leaves way too much to be desired. Where the hell are the N64, gamecube, genesis games or even the full SNES library?

I would have spent soooo much money buying that stuff again. Oh well

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2021, 05:54:01 AM »
And in addition to us being 4 years into the console, Switch online leaves way too much to be desired. Where the hell are the N64, gamecube, genesis games or even the full SNES library?

I would have spent soooo much money buying that stuff again. Oh well

Yeah, Nintendo is missing a huge mark on that one. I'm sure there a bajillion legal hurdles with licensing for those titles, and probably on a title-by-title basis as well, but still. It seems like such easy money.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »
Easier money is porting a 10 year old Wii game with updated controls and charge 60 dollars. Or produce a limited run of three emulated 10-25 year old games and sell it for 60. They do not want to decrease the perceived value for N64-Wii(U) titles. I am sure the math of their marketing department is indicating them this is the way to go businesswise.

I have no problem with their NES and SNES strategy though. For 20 euro a year I don't feel ripped off or anything. These games support online multiplayer and the collections are well presented and emulated. And dripfeeding the games does give some of these old games their own little release moment, which can be a nice thing for online communities.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »
Finally a Mario Party Game....And it's Superstars.

Yay, back to old school 20 coins for stars.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »
Was really hoping for some switch games on sale for Prime Day, but it's slim pickings  :'(

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
So very true. I'd buy more games on the switch if it had a return policy like steam does.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2021, 07:03:47 AM »
Chino, you nailed it.

Never played skyward sword. Would have bought it at $39 bucks, but they can go to hell with that full price $60 dollar crap.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2021, 07:27:40 AM »
Funny thing is, people still pay for it.

But also, they do a lot of sales and I have picked up some big name games for about $30-$40.

You just have to check the Nintendo Shop every now and then. Also, there's a crapload if indie games, and some so crappy they're selling for like a penny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2021, 07:37:56 AM »
I have a Nintendo game Cube. My favourite game is Zelda Twilight Princess. It is stupid money for GC. But dirt cheap on WII

I HATE playing Twilight Princess on WII. You have to do laser precision aiming moves in a fraction of a second.

I gave up in the end.

I've actually completed the game in the past on GC though. I just hate the WII - mote.

I remember our very first console was the SNES. Whatever year it was. I was about 12 or so.

My bro and I got a gift each at Christmas and we had to open them at the same time.

Mine was a SNES joypad and my bro got Super Mario All Stars. Hehe. Then Mum bought out the SNES  ;D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »
The Wii has ports for GC controllers. Why are you using the wiimote if you prefer the GC version?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
My GC controller does not work in the Wii ?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »
Is it third party or something?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2021, 11:33:46 AM »
For it to work with a GC controller you'd need to be playing the GC version of the game on the Wii in the compatibility mode. Also later models of the Wii did not include GC sockets or the ability to play GC games. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
For it to work with a GC controller you'd need to be playing the GC version of the game on the Wii in the compatibility mode. Also later models of the Wii did not include GC sockets or the ability to play GC games.

Ohhh. So if you were playing a digital version of the game, the GC controller wouldn't be recognized? I gotcha now.

And I had no idea the black version of the Wii didn't have controller ports (had to look it up). That's really surprising.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »
Yeah, the Wii version does not support the GC controller.

I do expect Twilight Princess HD (WiiU remaster) to hit the Switch at some point in the near future though. Especially if Skyward Sword does well. And Wind Waker HD for that matter.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2021, 05:31:37 AM »
Anyone pick up the new Mario Golf game?

I've spent maybe 30 minutes on the adventure mode, and then maybe an hour or so just playing various forms of stroke play. I'm liking it so far. I haven't tried to play online with friends yet. I'm hoping it's easy.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2021, 07:40:53 AM »
Anyone pick up the new Mario Golf game?

I've spent maybe 30 minutes on the adventure mode, and then maybe an hour or so just playing various forms of stroke play. I'm liking it so far. I haven't tried to play online with friends yet. I'm hoping it's easy.

Me, and same thing as you. I only have been saying Adventure Mode, and I suck at XC Golf.  :lol

I am enjoying it so far. Haven't played online or with friends yet. We ended up playing Tony Hawks Pro Skater instead.  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2021, 08:22:40 AM »
It looks like a nice chill game but I can't justify these Mario sports games at full price for myself. Mario Tennis on Switch was like 3-4 hours of singleplayer content. In the rare instances during adult life where I am on a couch with friends that are into games, Smash and Mariokart will almost certainly be the games to be played.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »
OLED model just announced.

Personally not worth the upgrade for me, for which I am kind of glad. Overall I have little problem with the Switch screen I own, colors look vibrant and resolution is fine for the size (the revision of 2019). Some slight upgrades on other fronts.

I assume the pro does not exist and we will see a Switch successor announcement in late 2022 or early 2023 or something (if they are to maintain 5-6 year cycles). If Nintendo is smart and implements DLSS with Nvidia, I feel that could lead to a very significant upgrade at reasonable cost.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2021, 08:25:14 AM »
If the new OLED screen is still just 720P but larger than the one on the OG model, wouldn't that mean crappier resolution?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
If the new OLED screen is still just 720P but larger than the one on the OG model, wouldn't that mean crappier resolution?

Yes, same resolution at 7 inch instead of 6.2. OLED namely has better black levels and a better contrast ratio.

I am personally not that averse for 720p though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
I don't think the current iteration of the Switch would handle 1080p in handheld very well. The clock speed of the CPU and GPU would need to be much closer to docked values to retain performance, and that would have a pronounced effect on the battery life. If it tried to run 1080p at the usual handheld clock rates, it would run the games even more poorly than usual.

It's doubtful there will be a higher resolution model until the CPU/GPU are upgraded, so either a Switch Pro (if it exists), or the Switch successor.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »
Got Skyward Sword HD. Its the only one I've never played, so I figured its time to check it out.

Seems ok so far, but I don't have the slightest clue why they made it that you have to hold in the left bumper to allow the right joystick move the camera  ???

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »
Got Skyward Sword HD. Its the only one I've never played, so I figured its time to check it out.

Seems ok so far, but I don't have the slightest clue why they made it that you have to hold in the left bumper to allow the right joystick move the camera  ???

Without having played this game but having seen the recent trailer, isn't this because the right stick is normally used for your sword/item usage? This is a port of a Wii game that was built around motion plus back in the day.

That said, I can trade in Link's Awakening and get this for very cheap. I am considering it.