Poll

Do you consider Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven" OVERRATED?

Yes
12 (19%)
No
51 (81%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Do you consider Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven" OVERRATED?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline WildRanger

I know it's definitely OVERUSED and OVEREXPOSED to most rock fans.

But, in your opinion, is this, most popular Zep song OVERRATED?

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Do you consider Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven" OVERRATED?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
No. It's actually a beautiful and memorable song that deserves all the praise it gets.

Also, it's the best song in the world  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
No. A great song is a great song, and Stairway is incredible.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
Context for my answer: I was born in 1991.

I think it absolutely is. However, I feel like if I was old enough to have experienced that song in the moment, when it came out - I don't know if I would say the same thing. It is a legendary rock song from start to finish and for good reason. Overrated? Probably. But it's still a fantastic song. Not even close to my favorite Zeppelin song, even on ZoSo (that would be When The Levee Breaks), but still awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with no, despite never needing to hear the thing again. I actually went close to 20 years without hearing it, which was a challenge. I once paused banging a girl to get up and turn the radio off because of that song (pissed her off to no end). Eventually I decided it had been long enough and gave it a good listening in the car; enjoyed it. It really is a damn good song. It was just overplayed, nearly to the point of being fetishized (Wayne's World?).

And younger folk have no idea how overplayed it was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Honestlly?  With it now becoming a post-modern cliché in a lot of ways, I actually think it's UNDERRATED.  The bandmembers themselves almost always distance themselves from it (and gravitate to the, in my view, inferior (thought not by much) Kashmir) but I think it is the perfect encapsulation of one of the three greatest bands in rock history. 

The light of the intro.  The dark of the ending.  The multi-instrumentalism of Jones.  The power and simplicity of Bonham.  The way the tempo is so fluid, and yet it's perfect.   The metaphysical and metaphorical lyrics by Plant.   

If you were to post a thread (hint hint) that was "Name the one song that best encapsulates everything about your favorite band", I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better example than "Stairway To Heaven/Led Zeppelin".   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with no, despite never needing to hear the thing again. I actually went close to 20 years without hearing it, which was a challenge. I once paused banging a girl to get up and turn the radio off because of that song (pissed her off to no end). Eventually I decided it had been long enough and gave it a good listening in the car; enjoyed it. It really is a damn good song. It was just overplayed, nearly to the point of being fetishized (Wayne's World?).

And younger folk have no idea how overplayed it was.

Because of the banging or because of the song?   :) 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
I don't care if Papa Roach was playing on the radio, you don't get up in the middle of super fun time for that. That's funny, EB.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
Overrated or underrated does not exist. It can be translated as: "I don't enjoy this song as much as most people do and I can't understand how it gets so much praise, but I wish I could enjoy this song as much as other people."

If you don't like a song that most people love, it doesn't make it overrated. And if you love a song that most people don't, it doesn't make it underrated. You can't use your own taste as a measure for absolute truth. Because when it comes to taste, there is no right or wrong, no good or bad. It is completely subjective and it is up to you.

On the subject of Stairway to Heaven: it is an amazing song, one of Led Zeppelin's best. Does it get too much praise? It is for you to decide. I don't think so.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
Honestlly?  With it now becoming a post-modern cliché in a lot of ways, I actually think it's UNDERRATED.  The bandmembers themselves almost always distance themselves from it (and gravitate to the, in my view, inferior (thought not by much) Kashmir) but I think it is the perfect encapsulation of one of the three greatest bands in rock history. 

The light of the intro.  The dark of the ending.  The multi-instrumentalism of Jones.  The power and simplicity of Bonham.  The way the tempo is so fluid, and yet it's perfect.   The metaphysical and metaphorical lyrics by Plant.   

If you were to post a thread (hint hint) that was "Name the one song that best encapsulates everything about your favorite band", I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better example than "Stairway To Heaven/Led Zeppelin".

Right on Stadler. When I think Led Zeppelin, the first song that comes to mind is Stairway to Heaven. It's a classic. Yes, it's been overplayed and most guitarists learn the intro (and everyone butchers it at guitar shops) but it doesn't take away from the greatness of the song. Nobody writes music like that anymore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
No. It's actually a beautiful and memorable song that deserves all the praise it gets.

Also, it's the best song in the world  :D

Yes...

No. A great song is a great song, and Stairway is incredible.

...and yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »
I haven't really heard Stairway to Heaven on the rock radio station I usually listen to at all.  They usually play stuff like Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid, Kashmir, The Ocean, etc.  The only times I actually listen to Stairway at all is when I want to listen to it.

Would I say it's the greatest song that they have ever created?  I mean it's up there, but I would always think Kashmir would always be their magnus opus and I'm really enjoying Achilles Last Stand as of late.  So overrated to me?  Not so much, but it's still a must essential for all people that want to listen to Led Zeppelin.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 06:29:23 PM »
I think the name Stairway to Heaven is overrated.

I'd say the song is rated just perfectly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »
Overplayed?  Yes.

Overrated? No, I don't think so.  And I hate LZ.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
Overplayed?  Yes.

Overrated? No, I don't think so.  And I hate LZ.

Pretty much this.

I wouldn't say I hate them but aside from Rock n Roll and few other songs I have never been a big fan of what I've sampled (I have a few albums)

However Stairway is IMO a brilliant song and deserves its status as an all time classic.  Probably the most played "non-single" song in history :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
No, it's an absolutely glorious song.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
It's a fantastic song, so no.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
WAY overplayed, but not overrated. It's a damn good song, but it's not my favorite Zeppelin song (that goes to Achilles Last Stand, hands down).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
Said it in the LZ appreciation thread....  Greatest Rock and Roll song of all time.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
I guess I kind of do. It's good, but I've never loved Zeppelin generally so whatever

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
When I was growing up my local rock station always did a top 1000 countdown leading in to New Year's Eve. I loved it so much, I got the poster with the full  list and up hung it up on my wall ever year. I was shocked whenever Stairway was not #1, which wasn't often.

My answer, not at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 01:43:37 AM »
Speaking of the song being played everywhere, I think by now Comfortably Numb kinda surpassed it.

I've heard time and again street players and buskers play Comfortably Numb, I don't remember ever hearing someone playing Stairway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 03:34:11 AM »

Would definitely agree with this. It's just an awesome, dynamic song. Seperate it from the post-modern cliché it became and that's what it is. I would say the overrated and underrated claims kind of balance out, resulting in a song not really being either IMO.

I don't really like to put songs on a pedestal seperate from the album, so my liking to it is more from it being a great centrepiece of a great album. As far as an individual song goes though, I don't think that you could get much better than 'Stairway to Heaven'. Same thing goes for Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody': Brilliant in its own right, but even better as an all-encompassing close to one of Queen's best albums.

Overrated or underrated does not exist. It can be translated as: "I don't enjoy this song as much as most people do and I can't understand how it gets so much praise, but I wish I could enjoy this song as much as other people."

I would argue that this is already implicit when people say something is overrated or underrated. Quality will always be in the eye of the beholder, just depends on what the listener values in music. That doesn't been anything can't be underrated or overrated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Speaking of the song being played everywhere, I think by now Comfortably Numb kinda surpassed it.

I've heard time and again street players and buskers play Comfortably Numb, I don't remember ever hearing someone playing Stairway.

Crude, I know, but I got laid once because of Stairway. Went to a party at college and there was a guitar there and someone was trying to play (and couldn't; you know the drill, the single note "Smoke On The Water" "plunk, plunk, plunk") and the guy who's apartment it was said "dude if you can't play it put it away" and he handed it to me to put back (not knowing I played a little).  I sucked but I was able to play a couple things, and did so as a joke; this girl came and sat next to me and kept asking me to play something else.  I only knew like four songs but I did the best I could... it seemed to work.  In fact, it worked just fine.  :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
Crude, I know, but I got laid once because of Stairway.

Strange... I feel like someone gave me advice along these lines once. Oh yeah...

https://youtu.be/iVGbEh695Ig?t=1m6s
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
Awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

Strange... I feel like someone gave me advice along these lines once. Oh yeah...

...and he promptly puts on side two of Physical Graffiti.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Nope.

I don't think there's much explanation needed other than what's been posted by those that answered the same. It's got everything I think of when I think Led Zeppelin and it's not my favorite song of theirs (especially due to the aforementioned overplaying of the song) but it's an amazing song in every aspect: Lyrically, musically, production and does those things superbly while weaving them together to create a story for those that want to dive deeper into the song but also let you listen to just some beautiful awesomeness if you just want to chill to the song.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 08:27:57 AM »

Haha, he was also pimping tix to Cheap Trick, one of my favorite bands.    Despite the coincidences, my story is, for better or worse, true.