Author Topic: Getting Bombed in Texas  (Read 1145 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Getting Bombed in Texas
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
I can only speak of UPS, but I suspect FedEX is the same. UPS will take anything into their system if it looks alright. Barcodes get scanned at the facility. Our regular drivers don't scan when they pick up. Folks at the UPS store would rather not scan anything for liability reasons.  I've handed off pre-paid packages to random drivers that I see on the street, and they're happy to just chuck them into the truck.
Not really important at this point, but UPS and FedEx do handle this very differently. UPS doesn't scan until the package reaches the facility. You can hand them anything you want, and if they're not paying attention, they'll take it to the warehouse. FedEx scans every single parcel as they receive it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »
I've been shipping every weekday with UPS since 1980. Ever since they got those DIADs (in what the early 90's) they've scanned every package when they've picked it up.

A driver may take any package you hand him, but he damn well has it scanned into his device as he puts it on a shelf in his truck.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:57 PM »
I'm sure Pogo is correct about FedEx. Our experience with them was very brief. My experience with UPS was as described. I never see them scan packages, even when they put them on their truck. I also know that the folks at the UPS store prefer not to scan anything (if they scan it they own it). I'll ask my driver about it tomorrow, though. Not sure how that works at a FedEx dropoff. 

As it turns out none of this matters. This dipshit would have forked over his driver's license and drawn a map to his house in crayon on the side of the box.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
Every UPS store I've gone to scans what I give them.  But what about drop off spots?  Those obviously don't get scanned since you just drop them in the box.  I'd imagine that's the best way to hand off a package anonymously.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
I've been shipping every weekday with UPS since 1980. Ever since they got those DIADs (in what the early 90's) they've scanned every package when they've picked it up.

A driver may take any package you hand him, but he damn well has it scanned into his device as he puts it on a shelf in his truck.

I asked our UPS driver and they're not required to scan anything. Some drivers scan and some don't. Everything gets scanned once it gets to the hub. That's where exceptions would be flagged.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »

I asked our UPS driver and they're not required to scan anything. Some drivers scan and some don't. Everything gets scanned once it gets to the hub. That's where exceptions would be flagged.

As someone who works in the transportation industry, I can attest that this is absolutely true.  Many packages do not get scanned until they get back to the driver's terminal/hub, which could be an hour later or four hours later.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »

As someone who works in the transportation industry, I can attest that this is absolutely true.  Many packages do not get scanned until they get back to the driver's terminal/hub, which could be an hour later or four hours later.

Yeah, my driver confirmed the same. Apparently, the scanning of all my packages is primarily a quirk of the route I'm on and the time of day of our scheduled pickup. He's primarily scanning my air packages. The driver said if we were located west, just a few blocks, in a more commercial area with a high rate of daily pickups per stop they'd just scan them at the facility.