Author Topic: Getting Bombed in Texas  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Harmony

Getting Bombed in Texas
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
So reports of a possible 5th bombing in Austin, TX, at a FedEx facility are emerging.  From what I've read, the bombs are getting more sophisticated, one of them using a tripwire.  Initially there were suggestions the bomber or bombers were targeting people of color but the explosion last week IIRC injured 2 white men.  Although if a tripwire is being used, that would seem to make the targets of the bomb indiscriminate.

So we definitely have a serial killer here.  Can we call him - can we all assume it is a 'him'? - a terrorist?  How unusual is it for someone like this to have absolutely zero communication with the media or the authorities about what their endgame is? 

How terrifying - do I need to apologize for using that word now? - is it trying to live and work in Austin right now?  All I know is that if I lived there, I would not be ordering any packages to be delivered.

Anyone from Austin on this board?  Isn't El Barto from Texas?  Would love to get his thoughts on WTF is going on if he has any.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Getting Bombed in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
For me, the scary thing is I liken this type of attack/bombing to a more 'sophisticated' killer....meaning, it just seems like more thought and precaution would go in to this type of murder due to how well you'd have to cover your tracks in order not to get caught. It suggests that there is a lot more planning which seems even more sinister to me than your run of the mill shooting spree....especially given this person/the people involved clearly don't care who they are killing with these bombs. Could be a three year old white kid....50 year old black lady....etc etc
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
Somebody's angry about something. Generalized anger. My money's on a veteran. Definitely a loner and a male. Could be black or white.

In the traditional context not a terrorist. He has no goal that we know of. Even if he's just out to scare the shit out of people he'd still need to make that known. In the modern context it depends on his religion, of course. However, that person would still make their motivation known. This is just some lunatic. Best comparison here is the Beltway Sniper(s) or the Tylenol poisoner.

I don't get why people are claiming the tripwire bomb is more complex and a technological step up. To paraphrase Corporal Miller, making bombs is easy. "The trick is not to be around when they go off." Presumably the package bombs go bang when turned upside down or something. That's complicated. Making a bomb that goes off when somebody yanks on a string isn't.

The level of sophisticated of the bomb is only part of it. The real judge of this guy will be how anxious he is. He's been pretty active. The good ones bide their time. He might have one or two tricks up his sleeve that he wants to demonstrate, but a clever lunatic has a six month vacation in mind right now.

Also, for him to not be seen in at least 10 different videos would be quite improbable. Not all of them will be found, dashcam and door-monitor buffers will be overwritten and whatnot, but there's still some out there.

On a side note, 2 weeks ago an unknown package was on my porch. Zippy the Mailman was too lazy to climb a flight of stairs so he left it on my ground floor porch. Didn't think twice about delivering it to the upstairs neighbor. Today I'd handle that differently.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
The package that exploded in the FedEx facility could be this guy's first real fuck up. It shouldn't be hard to determine what package it was based on the bar codes that would have been on the box. Information about its origin should be easy to trace.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
The package that exploded in the FedEx facility could be this guy's first real fuck up. It shouldn't be hard to determine what package it was based on the bar codes that would have been on the box. Information about its origin should be easy to trace.
I'm not so sure about that. Assuming he wasn't a retard he had to know there'd be a tracking number. FedEX won't need a label to know the origin of a delivery they made on a specific date to a specific recipient. Shipping the package would have been a giveaway under any circumstance and he had to know that.

This is assuming it was scanned into their system. It's also possible that this is a crafty bastard and he was doing something oddball. Perhaps print fake labels and drop it off so that it blows up in their system as a diversion. Were it me, I suppose I generate the shipment while eating lunch at Baker Bros, print the label at home, and ship it COD. Hand the package off to any random driver. In any case, I suspect he was accounting for the traceability of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:55 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. Assuming he wasn't a retard he had to know there'd be a tracking number. FedEX won't need a label to know the origin of a delivery they made on a specific date to a specific recipient. Shipping the package would have been a giveaway and he had to know that.

This is assuming it was scanned into their system. It's also possible that this is a crafty bastard and he was doing something oddball. Perhaps print fake labels and drop it off so that it blows up in their system as a diversion. Were it me, I suppose I generate the shipment while eating lunch at Baker Bros, print the label at home, and ship it COD. Hand the package off to any random driver.

But if the package was in processing, could he have used a fake label? I mean, it was on the belts in the facility. Whenever I drop off a package, it gets scanned immediately. A fake label would give some kind of error and the package wouldn't even make it to sorting. Fox news said "the medium-sized package contained metal shrapnel and nails and was headed to Austin when it exploded on the conveyor track". That too me sounds like it had a valid delivery address.

I wonder if this could be someone inside the FedEx facility. They bring the package in and put it on the belts after bypassing the initial package screening step.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:35:43 AM by Chino »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. Assuming he wasn't a retard he had to know there'd be a tracking number. FedEX won't need a label to know the origin of a delivery they made on a specific date to a specific recipient. Shipping the package would have been a giveaway and he had to know that.

This is assuming it was scanned into their system. It's also possible that this is a crafty bastard and he was doing something oddball. Perhaps print fake labels and drop it off so that it blows up in their system as a diversion. Were it me, I suppose I generate the shipment while eating lunch at Baker Bros, print the label at home, and ship it COD. Hand the package off to any random driver.

But if the package was in processing, could he have used a fake label? I mean, it was on the belts in the facility. Whenever I drop off a package, it gets scanned immediately. A fake label would give some kind of error and the package wouldn't even make it to sorting. Fox news said "the medium-sized package contained metal shrapnel and nails and was headed to Austin when it exploded on the conveyor track". That too me sounds like it had a valid delivery address.

I wonder if this could be someone inside the FedEx facility. They bring the package in and put it on the belts after bypassing initial package screening step.
I can only speak of UPS, but I suspect FedEX is the same. UPS will take anything into their system if it looks alright. Barcodes get scanned at the facility. Our regular drivers don't scan when they pick up. Folks at the UPS store would rather not scan anything for liability reasons.  I've handed off pre-paid packages to random drivers that I see on the street, and they're happy to just chuck them into the truck.

What it would need is a valid tracking number, because that contains the shipper number (which is who they bill). They're more concerned about getting paid than they are the destination of the package. The hard part is getting that number out of their system, and I don't think it'd be that hard. In fact, if you knew somebody's shipper number it'd probably be pretty easy.

Another option would be to steal a package before it made it into their system and use that label.

My hunch is that this guy knew he was creating a paper trail and either accounted for it or relied upon it for a unique purpose.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Seems that they might have turned up a second, unexploded bomb at the facility. That would provide a wealth of information.

Also, we can't rule out copy-cats.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
Copy cats are what I'm most afraid of.

If this guy succeeds at putting an entire city in fear and doesn't get caught....

Offline Harmony

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
I see another explosion is being reported in Austin.   :sad:

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Seems he rigged a Goodwill dropoff box to explode when somebody opened it up. Guy's pretty adept at altering his tactics. As long as he's disguising his appearance and doesn't do anything foolish, like ship something from his home address, he'll be hard to track down.

This is a crafty fellow. Looks like he's altering his methods to keep ahead of LEO and the public. At this point he only gets one or two cracks at each method before it becomes a no-go. He can rig devices right up until the point that one goes boom and people become aware. Right now, Austin cops and Travis County Sheriffs are running around checking out all the drop-boxes in town (and if they're on the ball, dumpsters too). Bad guy won't try that again so he's moving on to the next great idea.

The FedEx thing really doesn't sit well with me. It'd be like hitting 4 ATMs with a debit card from the woman you just raped and murdered. It's dumb and amateurish. I don't think this guy is either.

Something else to consider is that if this guy's really interested in a reign of terror, he probably won't limit himself to homemade bombs. I doubt it's very hard to fill a small office building with CO, for example. Seems like a logical next step.

Edit: Now they're saying the Goodwill incident is unrelated. Some other asshole leaving incendiaries laying around.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:14:29 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 04:28:28 AM »
Looks like he blew himself up as authorities closed in.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 05:04:35 AM »
My money's on a veteran.

I'm curious. Why?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 05:39:17 AM »
What a dumbass. As soon as that guy saw that one of his packages blew up in the FedEx facility, he should have dumped his phone. Better yet, why wasn't he using a burner already?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
What a dumbass. As soon as that guy saw that one of his packages blew up in the FedEx facility, he should have dumped his phone. Better yet, why wasn't he using a burner already?

Looks like he wasn’t as clever or thoughtful as we thought he was. Just a massive a$$hole who got a fitting ending to his life.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
My money's on a veteran.

I'm curious. Why?
Discipline and a familiarity with ordinance. I was wrong, though. He wasn't.

In fact, I was wrong across the board. Dude actually was a retard. Glad he's kaput, but disappointed he wasn't more interesting than he turned out to be.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the one who has to deal with the forensic evidence inside of that car.  I'm also very glad he's dea

I hope he doesn't have accomplices which seems unlikely.  I also hope he hasn't left some packages around town.

24 and white.  Are local stations reporting any more info than that yet?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
My money's on a veteran.

I'm curious. Why?
Discipline and a familiarity with ordinance. I was wrong, though. He wasn't.

In fact, I was wrong across the board. Dude actually was a retard. Glad he's kaput, but disappointed he wasn't more interesting than he turned out to be.

I had myself convinced this guys was some sinister movie villain that had this grand reason as to why he was doing what he was doing.....like you said former "insert government job" who finally snapped.

He was just a D-Bag who knew how to make a bomb.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »
I was reading a story about the bomb building skills yesterday - I know jack shit about bombs and don't really care to learn more.  But reportedly the bombs he used could be made in an hour or so.  That shocked me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »
I was reading a story about the bomb building skills yesterday - I know jack shit about bombs and don't really care to learn more.  But reportedly the bombs he used could be made in an hour or so.  That shocked me.

Homemade bombs are shockingly easy to make. You could make something out of PVC and stuff from phantom fireworks that would lay waste to many if you left it in a cafeteria. I'm actually really surprised we don't see more mayhem with explosives.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »

Homemade bombs are shockingly easy to make. You could make something out of PVC and stuff from phantom fireworks that would lay waste to many if you left it in a cafeteria. I'm actually really surprised we don't see more mayhem with explosives.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see an uptick thanks to copy cats. What surprises me is some asshole kid hasn't blown up a school yet.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me if we see an uptick thanks to copy cats. What surprises me is some asshole kid hasn't blown up a school yet.
Blowing up small groups of people is easy. Blowing up lots of people or a building is hard AF. Such a person would probably have to "settle" for blowing up a classroom.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Yup. I'm gonna go with dumbass.

E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Shopping Cart Apologist
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 08:53:55 AM »

I wouldn't rush to judgment.  I think it depends on whether he checked "yes" or "no" on the slip where it asks if you are mailing any explosives or other contraband material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »

I wouldn't rush to judgment.  I think it depends on whether he checked "yes" or "no" on the slip where it asks if you are mailing any explosives or other contraband material.

Please tell me that doesn't really exist. It already baffles me that when you're requesting a VISA to enter the US you get asked whether you are a terrorist and if you're planning to commit a terrorist act once you're there.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
When filling out the form for my firearm transfer I had to tick boxes stating that I'm of sound moral character and not a drug user.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
Please tell me that doesn't really exist. It already baffles me that when you're requesting a VISA to enter the US you get asked whether you are a terrorist and if you're planning to commit a terrorist act once you're there.

Same reason you are required to declare illegal income on your tax return: its another avenue they can prosecute you from.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »

Same reason you are required to declare illegal income on your tax return: its another avenue they can prosecute you from.

Exactly; they don't expect you to tell the truth, but they have another crime to charge you with when you don't. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
You give me a check for $100,000, and $300,000 cash, I guarantee you walk on the terrorism charges. But they're going to come back at us with perjury, and they'll get it.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

Exactly; they don't expect you to tell the truth, but they have another crime to charge you with when you don't.
So if you tick yes and then blow up a plane you directly put the blame on the gov for not preventing it.  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Harmony

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
What the hell are exotic batteries? 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
What the hell are exotic batteries?

My guess is they're similar to the lithium polymer cells I run in my RC monster trucks. "Exotic batteries from China" sounds spookier and more dangerous. Don't get me wrong, a good-sized LiPo battery catching fire is terrifying and could easily burn your house down, but they aren't anything special. The're very hard to extinguish and moisture makes it worse. I charge mine in a fireproof safe just in case.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »
Thanks, Chino.  I kept seeing the same phrase used in very story and I thought I must be missing something.  Something exotic.   :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »

I've wondered this myself and the conclusion I've come up with is because if you mess up, you blow yourself up.  Home bomb building is fairly risky is you make a mistake such as a kid who I was assigned a class project with in high school.  He blew his finger off making a home made explosive, who knows why.  The cops questioned me since I had been working with him, but I didn't really know him to offer anything other than I really recall saying "kids a loser" and my mom having such a shocked look at her face to how I described him to a cop, plus I was also wearing a "Support the police, beat yourself up" t-shirt with an image of a cop beating up a punk during this.  My mom still loves telling this story and was absolutely horrified/embarrassed by my actions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »

I've wondered this myself and the conclusion I've come up with is because if you mess up, you blow yourself up.  Home bomb building is fairly risky is you make a mistake such as a kid who I was assigned a class project with in high school.  He blew his finger off making a home made explosive, who knows why.  The cops questioned me since I had been working with him, but I didn't really know him to offer anything other than I really recall saying "kids a loser" and my mom having such a shocked look at her face to how I described him to a cop, plus I was also wearing a "Support the police, beat yourself up" t-shirt with an image of a cop beating up a punk during this.  My mom still loves telling this story and was absolutely horrified/embarrassed by my actions.

Dude, that's hilarious.  "Kid's a loser."   :0