Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Ready Player One
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:48 AM »
Anyone see this yet?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Ready Player One
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
Going tonight. I'll check back in tomorrow!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:12:09 AM »
Not yet. My middle son is almost done with the book so I've been waiting for him to finish it.....then I'll take my two oldest to see it. Looks cool...I think it's probably definitely a movie you'd want to see in 3D.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »
Not yet. My middle son is almost done with the book so I've been waiting for him to finish it.....then I'll take my two oldest to see it. Looks cool...I think it's probably definitely a movie you'd want to see in 3D.

I'd recommend seeing it on the largest screen you can. We saw it in Imax 3D. It definitely added to the experience.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
Gonna catch it tomorrow night.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »
Saw it....absolutely loved it. 

I think it’s the first Steven Spielberg movie in a VERY long time that I feel comfortable saying that it could become “iconic”.   But only time will tell.   It has its critics...but they mostly come across as cry babies.  The movie was fun, but also had a story that wasn’t incredibly deep, but was poignant and relatable. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
Saw it in 4DX. What a way to see it. Damn.

Super fun movie. Not really super interesting, but god damn enjoyable. Great definition of a popcorn flick.

1) Fun action
2) Simple basic story that has a heart but isn't dumbed down
3) Likable characters
4) Well paced script
5) Serenity cameo
6) Don't need to turn your brain off to enjoy, but at the same time doesn't ask much of you or challenge you much, which is fine
7) ???
8) Profit

But yea. It's a great popcorn flick and I am happy I saw it in 4DX.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »
It looks way too confusing for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »
Had some time and went today, and I'll echo the "see it in IMAX 3D" sentiment. Usually I'm not a fan of 3D, but it made this movie. Wildly entertaining, visually mindblowing, and just fun as fuck.

And good lord talk about pop culture reference overload, I think it'd be easier to list what they didn't reference... So who else knows where the magic words used to turn off the orb were from?

Online Adami

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
Had some time and went today, and I'll echo the "see it in IMAX 3D" sentiment. Usually I'm not a fan of 3D, but it made this movie. Wildly entertaining, visually mindblowing, and just fun as fuck.

And good lord talk about pop culture reference overload, I think it'd be easier to list what they didn't reference... So who else knows where the magic words used to turn off the orb were from?

Not just overload, but WAY too fast. I'd say I missed about 90% of the ones I would have otherwise gotten because it showed them on screen for .0005 seconds.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
It was like a constant stream of them. I saw at least two different 2112 ones (H's shirt and Halladay's poster in his room)

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »
It was like a constant stream of them. I saw at least two different 2112 ones (H's shirt and Halladay's poster in his room)

I loved Mark Rylance in this movie. And I am not a big fan of his.

I was really hoping an 80's transformer would show up, but no. I mean, to see an old school transformer done with huge budgets? I'll never get that chance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
Yeah, I think there were some things they couldn't touch. I don't remember seeing anything Disney owned for instance. (no Marvel, Star Wars, etc) I could be wrong though, as you said, they blow by so fast it's hard to keep track.

Loved the Iron Giant though.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »
Yeah, I think there were some things they couldn't touch. I don't remember seeing anything Disney owned for instance. (no Marvel, Star Wars, etc) I could be wrong though, as you said, they blow by so fast it's hard to keep track.

Loved the Iron Giant though.

Star Wars was there, just very very very subtle and mostly background. They also talked about the Millennium Falcon.

Marvel? Hmmmm. I guess beyond mentioning Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, etc, there weren't any. True.

But they needed Optimus Prime or something. They apparently had a single Voltron lion that I didn't catch.

But imagine the final battle has Megatron turn into a gun to be used.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »
Ah yeah, they did mention the Falcon. I'm sure they had pretty much all of the 80's, 90's,and 00's in that final battle. Have to watch it on slo-mo when it comes to streaming.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:46 AM »
At one point I caught this poster hanging on one of the walls in the background.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 06:47:41 AM »
Saw it last night. I was disappointed they changed it a ton from the book. The overall feel was right I though and it was still an enjoyable movie. But I find it incredibly disappointing and distracting when movies make huge changes to the plot from the book. I find it hard to judge the movie based on it's own merits without comparing it to the book.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:48 AM »
An enjoyable movie and an "okay" adaptation. I found the movie much more campy that I feel it should have been.

Spoiler alert

The ending was just so "90s kids movie" where the goofy villain gets stopped right before anything bad actually happens. Then gets put in a police car and hit by his villainous partner. Ugggghhhhhhh
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:39:38 PM by chknptpie »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
Saw it last night. I was disappointed they changed it a ton from the book. The overall feel was right I though and it was still an enjoyable movie. But I find it incredibly disappointing and distracting when movies make huge changes to the plot from the book. I find it hard to judge the movie based on it's own merits without comparing it to the book.

I go back and forth with this. I started reading RPO about 4 years ago and stopped after the first 130-150 pages. It was a really cool book, I just don't like reading fiction stories. I like the pace of the book more, but I thought the movie was pretty decent for being inspired by the book. One thing I wish the movie touched on that really captivated me in the book was how the Oasis was more than just an escape. It was it's own economy entirely. People's full time jobs existed in the Oasis. Children did not go to schools, but rather went into virtual classrooms from their homes. Stuff like that. The movie made it look like the Oasis was primarily a getaway and a place of endless ridiculous fun, when it reality it was a second life to many, and a primary life to many more.

I always look to Jurassic Park in times like this. The book had some seriously dark stuff in it. Characters were completely different and deaths were not the same. Despite the book version of Jurassic Park being a superior story in both depth and writing, the movie still holds a place in my heart as one of my favorite films of all time.