Author Topic: Dixie Dregs  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Dixie Dregs
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:38:25 AM »
Saw them last night in Ridgefield.   Two sets, each about 10 songs long; original band (sort of):  Andy West, Steve Morse, Rod Morgenstein, Dr. Allan Sloan, and Steve Davidowski.

Really, really good stuff.   I kinda liked the instrumental nature of the night; it was just good playing from start to finish.  Highlights for me:  seeing Steve Morse again (the guy is just a machine with his technique and mechanics), Rod Morgenstein in a non-metal role, Allan Sloan (he apologized to Morse about three times for something or other, but it wasn't evidence what to the audience).   Downside for me:  none really.  It seemed to me that Steve was in some discomfort, so I'm sure the arthritis is a constant real thing for him at this point, but it didn't seem to impact the playing at all, and there were moments - Odyssey, Day 444 (a new song?) and especially The Bash - where they legit got a standing ovation.   There was one moment - during The Bash - where the they alternated two bars each from left to right across the stage - Andy, Steve, Allen, Steve - progressively faster and it was insane how tight they were and how smooth it was (it was reminiscent of that end to Karn Evil 9, creating an almost swirling effect).   After the show, Allen hung out on stage just chatting with the fans; seems a really grateful and humble guy, and even said, he feels lucky to be a part of that again.  Also, I got a drum stick.  Woo hoo!

If you're at all a fan, it's worth checking out.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Dixie Dregs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
their playing about 30 minutes from my house but I've got too much going on this week to see them.  I'd love to see them again.  It's the same venue I saw Eric Johnson last week at.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
I'll be seeing them late next month. Not very familiar with their music, but I'll certainly review their setlist ahead of time. Like Stadler, I really dig an evening of instrumental music. As I've often said, the LTE show I went to was the best show I've ever seen. KC put on a pretty fine gig not too long ago. Should be a hoot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
Somebody stole Steven's acoustic guitar after the Washington DC show

https://www.facebook.com/stevemorseguitar/posts/10155170889285927

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
Watching Steve in any capacity is a treat. I saw the Dregs when they opened for DT. It was a great show. I would love to see them this go around but can't make it happen.

I've been lucky enough to see Steve with Purple/Dregs/Flying Colors live. The man never disappoints.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
I'll be seeing them late next month. Not very familiar with their music, but I'll certainly review their setlist ahead of time. Like Stadler, I really dig an evening of instrumental music. As I've often said, the LTE show I went to was the best show I've ever seen. KC put on a pretty fine gig not too long ago. Should be a hoot.

Seltlist as far as I can tell is pretty static (not at all to say that the show is static; anything but), and most if not all can be checked out officially or not via the webs.   (I think a violin solo and Day 444 may not be available).

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
I have one album of theirs, California Screamin', and I love nearly every track on it, especially The Bash.  Their playing is so goddamn precise without being sterile.  For whatever reason, though, I haven't gone beyond this album.  It also took me about 10 years before I learned that Dweezil Zappa plays on Peaches En Regalia, even though they announce his name at the end of the track.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
For those that don't know, "The Bash" starts out as a version of "The Wabash Cannonball", but on steroids, and goes off from there. It was one of the highlights of the evening for me.    I was sitting there slapping my thigh and grinning like a lunatic the entire song.

The Wabash Cannonball is an old folk tune made popular (but not written) by the Carter Family in the '20's, then later covered by, well, basically every old-school country and blue-grass act since then.   Johnny Cash has a good version, and everyone from Chuck Berry to Robert Fripp (The League of Crafty Guitarists) have covered it as well.   

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:44:06 PM »
Didn't know that, but I figured it was a riff on some old standard.

Also just checked the tour calendar and they are playing in NYC tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:52:34 PM by jasc15 »

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
Saw them last night in Ridgefield.   Two sets, each about 10 songs long; original band (sort of):  Andy West, Steve Morse, Rod Morgenstein, Dr. Allan Sloan, and Steve Davidowski.

This IS the original band that recorded the Dregs' debut in 1977, "Free fall". So, if you take the band's recording history under a label into account (and don't count "The Great Spectacular" as their first real record) this is the original Dregs lineup.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »

This IS the original band that recorded the Dregs' debut in 1977, "Free fall". So, if you take the band's recording history under a label into account (and don't count "The Great Spectacular" as their first real record) this is the original Dregs lineup.

That explains it; I didn't realize Davidowski was there before; that explains why the set was "Free Fall heavy" (not a bad thing; "The Wages of Weirdness" was killer).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »
I'd have seen them when they swung by here a few weeks back but some weather related issues have torpedoed the music budget for a bit.

Last time I saw them was when they opened the first leg for Dream Theater in 2000 but that was a different lineup.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 08:38:15 AM »
Dixie Dregs announce US tour dates with Steve Morse Band

2024 Tour Dates:
Thursday, April 18  -  Nashville, TN  -  CMA Theater
Saturday, April 20  -  Atlanta, GA  -  Variety
Sunday, April 21 -  Durham, NC  -  Carolina Theatre of Durham
Monday, April 22  -  Charleston, SC -  Charleston Music Hall
Tuesday, April 23  -  Winston-Salem, NC  -  The Ramkat
Thursday, April 25  -  Ponte Vedra, FL  -  Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
Friday, April 26  -  Fort Lauderdale, FL  -  Culture Room
Saturday, April 27  -  Clearwater, FL  -  Capitol Theatre

Steve Morse had this to say about the shows:
"This is a very special tour happening with the Dregs, featuring Jordan Rudess, and my trio, the Steve Morse Band opening up the shows.  We've done one tour long ago with Jordan and were thrilled when he was able to take over with Steve Davidowski being already committed to a project.  We'll be adding many different tunes than our Reunion some years back, so this is the best time to hear the original instrumental rock band in action!”

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 08:54:38 AM »
I will be attending.  Probably the Durham show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 08:56:33 AM »
"US Tour"  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:06 AM »
"US Tour"  :lol

Well, the Southeast is in the US...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 10:02:30 AM »
If anyone here wants to cover the show, I could help getting a pass to a show.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 10:28:37 AM »
Apparently I missed this thread the first time around, but (Dixie) Dregs are a great band.  I was introduced to them back in 1980 by my college roommate.  This was also my introduction to Steve Morse, who is consistently amazing in every band he's been in, and there are a lot!  I remember when he joined Kansas, then Deep Purple, back in the 80's.  Then he kinda disappeared (from my sphere anyway) for a while, but showed up years later in Flying Colors.

My roommate had Dregs of the Earth and Night of the Living Dregs, and we played both of them a lot, just in awe of the amazing chops these guys had.  Many, many years later, Rod Morgenstein's name started showing up in various projects I was checking out, and of course he was the original Dregs drummer; I'd just forgotten his name.  I remembered Steve Morse but none of the others.

Anyway, my roommate and I stuck together for years (he was the lead singer for the band I was in) and one day he brought home the new Dregs album, Industry Standard.  Vocals?!  WTF?!  According to Wikipedia, dropping "Dixie" from the band name and introducing vocals were both calculated moves to try and broaden their commercial appeal.  We didn't care about the band name, but it was annoying to be digging that instrumental goodness and then have vocals "intrude".  Oh well.  I have a Dregs playlist (actually a Dixie Dregs playlist) on my PC, but I didn't include the tracks with vocals.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 10:30:08 AM »
Needless to say, their tracks with vocals don't really count anymore lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2024, 10:35:13 AM »
I posted this in the Flying Colors thread when it dropped, but Rick Beato did a really nice interview with Steve Morse recently that is worth watching if you are a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jxp9k72M1c

One of my friends in college was a huge Steve Morse/Dixie Dregs fan, and we got to see the Dixie Dregs back around 2002 or so. It was a fun experience (I especially enjoyed watching Rod smile through the whole set), though I never really got into the band. The only release I ever picked up from them was Bring 'Em Back Alive, and then I also have one of the Steve Morse Band albums (Coast to Coast). It's all nice music, but never really grabbed me. I do think very highly of Steve Morse as a player though. Can definitely hear his influence on JP (especially in LTE I think).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 10:39:04 AM »
Needless to say, their tracks with vocals don't really count anymore lol

:lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 11:44:21 AM »
Late last year, I finally dug into Dixie Dregs and bought all of their albums (and even found a lot that included Off The Record - what a funky mini-disc single!). For a few weeks after getting them all, I was spinning them almost non-stop. Really loved their vibe and sound and their mix of styles executed wonderfully by every musician involved.

A shame none of those tour dates are up near me, but I'd love to see them record a live album/video of this mini-tour with Jordan!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2024, 01:16:32 PM »
They are AWESOME.  If I could commit, I would travel to one of those shows, alas I won't be very close to any of them.  For those that are, though, GO!!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 03:29:04 PM »
The announcement on the DD facebook page says this is the first of most likely 4 tour legs, so they might cover many more places than what's been announced so far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2024, 06:00:29 PM »
Give some recs to check out

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2024, 07:18:42 AM »
They are AWESOME.  If I could commit, I would travel to one of those shows, alas I won't be very close to any of them.  For those that are, though, GO!!!!
Come to Durham.

Listen to their first album, Free Fall.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2024, 08:08:38 AM »

Always great quality music, but IMO What If and Night of The Living Dregs are their masterpieces.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2024, 10:28:08 AM »
Tickets for Durham secured!  An old friend is going with (who is an incredible guitarist in his own right), as is my youngest.  :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 06:09:05 PM »
Thanks hef and dev! Added to listen once my roulette is over (within about a week).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2024, 11:13:13 AM »
The announcement on the DD facebook page says this is the first of most likely 4 tour legs, so they might cover many more places than what's been announced so far.

That's encouraging maybe I will get to see them this year.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2024, 12:12:37 PM »
2024 Tour Dates:
Wednesday, April 17  -  Macon, GA  -  Capitol Theatre
Monday, May 13 - Red Bank, NJ - The Vogel at Count Basie Center for the Arts
Tuesday, May 14 - Patchogue, NY - Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts
Wednesday, May 15 - New York, NY - The Town Hall
Friday, May 17 - Boston, MA - Somerville Theatre
Saturday, May 18 - Ridgefield, CT - The Ridgefield Playhouse
Sunday, May 19 - Albany, NY - Kitty Carlisle Hart Theatre
Tuesday, May 21 - Collingswood, NJ - Scottish Rite Auditorium
Wednesday, May 22 - Washington, DC - Warner Theatre

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2024, 12:45:22 PM »
2024 Tour Dates:

Fuck stick.  We're throwing an engagement party for my stepdaughter at our house.  That day. Think she'll mind if I duck out at 6:00-ish?  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2024, 04:14:02 PM »
2024 Tour Dates:

Fuck stick.  We're throwing an engagement party for my stepdaughter at our house.  That day. Think she'll mind if I duck out at 6:00-ish?  :)

Afternoon garden party, my man.  Start it at noon or 1:00.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2024, 08:26:15 PM »
Damn. Monday or Tuesday night shows are not going to work for me. Lost opportunity.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2024, 08:12:16 AM »
Live show with Jordan yesterday https://youtu.be/QEPseYNAjwk?si=V7IyM-GMnEIp5OXd
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."