Author Topic: Awesome movietrailer music that isn't in the actual movie!  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
So I've noticed a couple of examples of this. First, I, Tonya had some great tracks in the trailer like Chicago's 25 or six to 4 and a great version of Hot Chocolate's Everyone's a winner. Practically build the whole damn trailer around those, not to be found on the official soundtrack tho!  >:(

Next: The awesome music in the Black Panther trailer? Got the soundtrack (or music from the movie), and it doesn't appear to be on there? WTF?

Anyone else noticed these things?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Awesome movietrailer music that isn't in the actual movie!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »
I could be mistaken, but a long, long time ago, I believe the music from Requiem For A Dream - a beautiful, dramatic string piece called Luex Aeterna, written by Clint Mansell - was used in a trailer for Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers but was nowhere in the actual film.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
It's pretty common for trailers to use music from other movies

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »
The Tim Burton movie Big Fish (my #1 all time favorite film) used “All Good People” by Yes in the trailer, and it was nowhere in the movie. It was an awesome trailer though.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »

Wait, it is?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
Most trailer music is never in the movie. There are very large industries now that produce and make trailers for the movie that are not involved with any part of creating the movie. Even the trailer music sometimes is commissioned to another company who either create original music/themes or recycle some of the motifs used in the movie.

Very common these days.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
I know this an old example, but this movie trailer uses music from a different movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kQDIosuZuo
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
Most trailer music is never in the movie. There are very large industries now that produce and make trailers for the movie that are not involved with any part of creating the movie. Even the trailer music sometimes is commissioned to another company who either create original music/themes or recycle some of the motifs used in the movie.

Very common these days.

Wow. Does that explain why most trailers seem to give away the big jokes/plot points/revealing shots, or do the teams behind the films themselves just bungle it sometimes?

Online faizoff

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:19:34 AM »
There's been discussion of the evolution of these trailers and whether the trailers nowadays give away a lot more than before. Turns out it's been this way for a while. I'll have to dig out some of the older trailers but they appear to give out even more details and plot points than one imagines.

One that many bring up is the trailer for Cast Away. The trailer is basically a mini plot summary of the entire movie and you can piece together the sequence of the story from the trailer. Robert Zemeckis argued that at the time market research showed a majority of the people want to know a lot of the details of the movie before going in to the theater to see if it's worth it.
This may still hold true though the exposure to trailers and repeated viewings is very different than pre-internet days.

I personally stay away from ALL trailers, marketing material as much as possible. I watch so many movies and shows now that it's very easy to piece together how the plot unfolds from just watching the trailer. I find that I enjoy movies tremendously that way. I like going in blind not knowing a single thing about any movie.  I'm fully aware I'm in the minority and don't have a problem with how movies are marketed these days. Bottom line for them is to make money.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »

Wait, it is?

Completing and recording the score is one of the last parts of the movie-making process (especially if there isn't a lot of CGI to add), so the music often isn't ready in time for the trailers. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
Well I've tried to listen to the Black Panther soundtrack and boy is it utter shit!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....