Author Topic: RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018  (Read 1198 times)

Offline PetFish

RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »
76 Years Old

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

I've seen the movie and he was only given 1-2 years to live so to have made it this far is beyond phenomenal.

I'm also a physics buff but just as a hobby.  I was able to follow A Brief History of Time up until about the last 20% and even with the pictures it got to be too much.

All my action figures are cherry.
Stephen Hawking's in my library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Yes, I also own the hoodie and 90% of the lyrics pertain directly to me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »
Simply one of the greatest minds in modern times. I tried to read A Brief History Of Time and got halfway until my brain stopped working and that is even a book written for "dummies".

RIP Stephen Hawking
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:33:12 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 02:15:49 AM »
He was born 300 exact years after Galileo Galilei, and he died on 3/14, Pi day. A man of science even in birth and death  :hat

RIP you wonderful scientist, you (sadly no longer) living proof that life must be lived to the fullest despite of all the difficulties, you guest star of The Big Bang Theory and of Anathema.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 06:34:18 AM »
I woke up today and the first thing I read on my cellphone was a message from my brother telling me this. I was still a bit asleep to fully grasp it but on my way to work my mind finally came into it, one of the most wonderful and resilient minds of our times is now gone, a man so incredible that even death didn't dare take him before he could enlighten us all. I truly hope his legacy is followed and what he taught us can be further expanded.

R.I.P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44:30 AM »
A brief history of time had a profound effect on how I look at the world.

RIP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:38 AM »
A little piece of science died along with him.  Shame... though we were blessed to be in the same time as him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
One of the greatest minds in the history of humans. We're pretty damn fortunate to have had it around for as long as he did.

Respect.

He was a funny guy too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
To call him a genius is an understatement. An incredibly brilliant mind, someone humanity will remember along with the other scientific greats of history.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »
Of the sorts of things that lead people to think there has to be some God making everything work, Hawking came closest in my book. The weirdness of the smartest man of our time being frail and unable to speak, living every day with the very real possibility that it was his last, has always struck me as some bizarrely sick joke. Like somewhere a guy in a cubicle on Magrathea had this brilliantly cruel idea over drinks one night.

I also appreciated that despite his condition he still had a keen interest in hot chicks. He was somewhat famous in the swingers circles in So-Cal for enjoying female companionship to the best of his abilities. That's cooler to me than learning to play basketball from a wheelchair.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
What a supremely intelligent man he was!

Hundreds of years from now, people will study he's life and accomplishments. R.I.P

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
RIP

As many others have said, one of the greatest minds of our lives and crazy to think he had such an amazing mind in such a poor body but still managed to accomplish so much living a life that seemed like it should of ended so long ago.  Just shows how crazy life is. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
RIP

A great and ingenious man with a good sense of humor who achieved so much despite the less-than-ideal cards he'd been dealt.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:50 PM »
"No....I only do voice acting"

Crazy....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
Humanity lost one of its finest. I was not only fortunate enough to hear him lecture at Berkeley in the 80's, but when he returned about ten years ago to lecture again, he stayed at my hotel and I had the honor of making his lunch and meeting him. Definitely the highlight of my career. RIP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »
“ For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happenend which unleashed the power of our imagination, We learned to talk” - Stephen Hawkins (used on Pink Floyd’s “keep Talking”)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk